Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 10/31/2016

57 posts in this topic
3 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Thanks for the update Darkrasp. I think Elicas made the suggestion before that you might consider recruiting class leaders (Priests for example) to represent their perspective communities. This would entail setting up a tread on the class forum and giving them moderation powers. They would then start discussions with their community about known bugs on other servers, and compiling other useful information to ensure everything is ''working as intended'' on launch.

I can't help but feel this was a good idea and instinct tells me, now would be the time to start considering it.

Not sure I'd want to see anyone other than actual Mods moderating the class forums. The priest forum already had a spat.

But the idea of one knowledgeable representative gathering info for the devs is a good one :)

9 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

I may do another "crowdsourcing" campaign to collect that data and save myself some punishment, should the community here be interested in that kind of drudgery.  I'm going to have to talk to Asura about it and check out our database in a lot more detail than the cursory overlook I gave it a couple days ago.

Provide item/proc list and I'm fairly sure it'll be solved in no time if there's information available.

48 minutes ago, Soyoen said:

Provide item/proc list and I'm fairly sure it'll be solved in no time if there's information available.

I have a question on that; did proc weapons of the same type ie mace epic 1h etc have the same chance on hit? It doesn't strike me that Blizzard would put in random values for each weapon, but have an actual 'Chance on Hit' value across the board depending on type.

9 hours ago, zetsuno said:

inb4 CF teaser trailer ft. killerducki

HOLY RESISTANCE WORKSHOP WITH PROLIFIC THEORYCRAFTINGS!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMPE57_hTGiATmOUjCTp7images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHs5gxsWhdL5ejXNn2Ptc

Thanks for the very informative update as usual!  The attention to detail and dedication you guys are putting in is nothing short of amazing.

Thank you cf team for all your hard work!  Looking forward to a bunch of shiny new stuff soon :)

6 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Thanks for the update Darkrasp. I think Elicas made the suggestion before that you might consider recruiting class leaders (Priests for example) to represent their perspective communities. This would entail setting up a tread on the class forum and giving them moderation powers. They would then start discussions with their community about known bugs on other servers, and compiling other useful information to ensure everything is ''working as intended'' on launch.

I can't help but feel this was a good idea and instinct tells me, now would be the time to start considering it.

This reminds me of the old school staff during Vanilla. I approve.

I would also ask that they be to the standards of representing actual Crestfall staff rather than random forum users who have class knowledge.

9 hours ago, Topkek said:

Woop woop nice update! Ty darkrasp

this sounds so nice you better think of a name for a second pvp realm :D

Hahah that train ♡ 

13 hours ago, Crogge said:

The first video of the planned series will be out within a few days, promise :)

Dude we want zhe videos right nowz ! !
Hype over 9999 ! ! ! :P

13 hours ago, Frost said:

1) ctrl + f = beta

2) Disappoint 

Spam dat sh*t !

12 hours ago, zetsuno said:

inb4 CF teaser trailer ft. killerducki

Don't bash master Killerducki a.k.a flame master :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Topkek said:

Woop woop nice update! Ty darkrasp

this sounds so nice you better think of a name for a second pvp realm :D

Nothing stops the Flaming Beast ! ! !

3 hours ago, Humperdink said:

HOLY RESISTANCE WORKSHOP WITH PROLIFIC THEORYCRAFTINGS!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMPE57_hTGiATmOUjCTp7images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHs5gxsWhdL5ejXNn2Ptc

Again master Killerducki to the rescue ! haha

4 hours ago, DeeMarie said:

I have a question on that; did proc weapons of the same type ie mace epic 1h etc have the same chance on hit? It doesn't strike me that Blizzard would put in random values for each weapon, but have an actual 'Chance on Hit' value across the board depending on type.

That was true in later expansion when for example all the + extra attacks weapons were using the thrash blade spell (that's under the PPM system)

Unfortunately in vanilla it seems (from the few cases I've looked at) that most had their own proc spell.

Isn't the best way to see if rage is broken is to just attack a critter. If you get no or too little rage, it's broken? 

How does it work exactly? I read that it'd 1 rage per 30 damage dealt and 1 rage generated per 90 damg taken, relative to enemy level vs your level?

Also, vanilla had ICD? I though things like wf were normalized with 3 sec icd during patch 2.1? I remember people putting wf r5 on their mains and wf r4 off hands.

24 minutes ago, Roadblock said:

That was true in later expansion when for example all the + extra attacks weapons were using the thrash blade spell (that's under the PPM system)

Unfortunately in vanilla it seems (from the few cases I've looked at) that most had their own proc spell.

Ok but still seems odd that Blizzard wouldn't have used a formula compared to some random percentages.

Is there a chance (no pun) that procs were based on weapon speed, from an old vanilla theory? Ie Ironfoe is 2.4 speed, so a 2.4% chance to proc?

Or if you go by the 2.8% figure, maybe a modifier thrown in?

Edited by DeeMarie

6 hours ago, DeeMarie said:

Not sure I'd want to see anyone other than actual Mods moderating the class forums. The priest forum already had a spat.

But the idea of one knowledgeable representative gathering info for the devs is a good one :)

3 hours ago, Knetik said:

This reminds me of the old school staff during Vanilla. I approve.

I would also ask that they be to the standards of representing actual Crestfall staff rather than random forum users who have class knowledge.

I reckon the way to go is to assign the class leaders during Beta selection. The class leaders are really only there from a community perspective, but the idea is that they would test out all the known class issues from other private servers based on the feedback from the community. I don't think we'd need too many. For example @Elicas could do Paladins, Druids and Shaman. @Soyoen could do rogues. @Undertanker could do er...tanks. But look, most of us know the no drama high knowledge people on the forums already, so selection should be straight forward.

In terms of moderation, on your own threads there is a moderator function which just has a 'hide' option. I'm guessing that this can be expanded upon to allow you to delete/mod posts on your thread only. So in effect the moderator powers will be minimal.

The critical thing here as I've learnt from vanilla onwards, is that you really need good class representatives to maximise potential. Just for Shaman for example, getting the WF proc working as universally intended is critical to balancing the alliance vs horde side on raiding capabilities, even though it's already skewed to alliance.

The hype is indeed real. I've personally stopped playing MMOs until Crestfall comes out, so that even though the wait will be more difficult, it'll be way more exciting to sign in for the first time~

But the doubt.jpeg that I'll get into closed beta is also real. ;P Everyone who gets in, have fun for me while I wait for open beta~

5 hours ago, ClawzTheMeow said:

Dude we want zhe videos right nowz ! !
Hype over 9999 ! ! ! :P

Spam dat sh*t !

Don't bash master Killerducki a.k.a flame master :ph34r:

Nothing stops the Flaming Beast ! ! !

Again master Killerducki to the rescue ! haha

6f3.gif

19 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

tremendous

Darkrasp = Trump confirmed

Almost every Darkrasp update starts with "This'll be a short one", and then it goes on for quiet some time :) Its great! Thanks for taking the time to write them!

Just now, Sakritan said:

Almost every Darkrasp update starts with "This'll be a short one", and then it goes on for quiet some time :) Its great! Thanks for taking the time to write them!

It's all about managing expectations: lower-public standards/commitments, and then exceed those standards. That or drown in hype. 

16 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Leeway actually worked even if all you did was stand still and jump.  It's not a big range increase, it's actually very, very small.  0.5 yards on melee attacks and 1 yard on most PBAoE like Frost Nova, etc.  It's just a small measure that's important for dealing with Spell Delay and latency.

One of the worst experiences while playing a melee is having good latency yet not being able to hit someone kiting even though they are right in front of you on your screen.

1 hour ago, Simonich said:

Darkrasp = Trump confirmed

HUGE update.

Renegotiating our trade deals so China can get a server. 

a4Y9pbm_460sa_v1.gif

7 hours ago, DeeMarie said:

Ok but still seems odd that Blizzard wouldn't have used a formula compared to some random percentages.

Is there a chance (no pun) that procs were based on weapon speed, from an old vanilla theory? Ie Ironfoe is 2.4 speed, so a 2.4% chance to proc?

Or if you go by the 2.8% figure, maybe a modifier thrown in?

I don't find it to strange on many of these items considering at the time Blizzard as a company were very new to MMORPGs in general and struggled with itemization for classes. They could have a plan for an item and think "Hey this is a really cool effect", slap on a random proc chance like the first incarnation of Bloodfang hood with the stun chance and then just roll with it for a while because it was fun. They got better as time progressed but they could still have many iterations for individual items, atleast that's my perspective of it.

However every time you find a proc with a calculated PPM below 1 I start to question if that item was really following the PPM system we're usually talking about (atk speed based+modifier over time) or if it instead followed a static flat proc chance. Sometimes you'll find proper information you can turn into data, sometimes you'll find tons of contradictive statements and information that you need to interpret.

Edited by Soyoen

10 hours ago, Soyoen said:

However every time you find a proc with a calculated PPM below 1 I start to question if that item was really following the PPM system we're usually talking about (atk speed based+modifier over time) or if it instead followed a static flat proc chance. Sometimes you'll find proper information you can turn into data, sometimes you'll find tons of contradictive statements and information that you need to interpret.

The other thing is people didn't necessarily have their weapons maxed, or full hit gear especially when levelling etc, when testing these things. I've seen 5% thrown around a lot on proc chance on various weapons, again player guesses, but surely it would make sense for Blizz to put a flat proc rate out (with or without a modifier) rather that inputting separate data for each item.

They had squillions of stuff to do to get WoW out the door and you're right in that they were new, I just can't get over a company handling data like that (although we know they did for TF) For enchants, one formula that came up was Chance on hit (%) = weapon speed * 1.82 for Crusader : http://rogerkarlsson.com/blogs/wow/crusader/

Maybe duration of effect also plays a role, ie instant attack has a chance to proc more than a 3 second stun, and that's why various numbers come up. One thing to try would be to correlate all the data you've found, on all proc items and enchants, and see if there's any rough formula behind it.

It's wonderful to see how open you are to the community about what's going on through the updates and the streams, really appreciate that. Good luck with your work, can't wait to get my hands on beta!

Amazing people, such an extreme dedication, and they are doing this for free(I think, but this doesn't matter at all). They're only fueled by their passion for the game. It will be a great game, no doubt about that.

On 01/11/2016 at 2:32 AM, Darkrasp said:

forums won't change, other than the logo

too bad, cause this black background white letters text is tiring for the eyes and practically unreadable in a room with bad lightning. would be great if we could have dark/white theme options, but i guess it inst important that much