Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Gurgel

Rogue, Mage or Warlock?

28 posts in this topic

Since I probably won't have much time to play once Crestfall launches I want to create one toon and stick with it from vanilla through all the expansions.

The three classes I am considering are Rogue, Mage or Warlock. 

I want to enjoy pretty much every corner of WoW. Leveling, grinding, exploring, world PvP, Duel PvP, Battlegrounds, Arenas, Dungeons, Raiding, looking awesome in gear. Everything.

Which one out of the three classes do you think is the ''best'' one considering all the aspects of the game through all of the expansions? 

I know this is something I have to choose for myself, but I just want your input and perspective.

So let's hear it guys! Convince me! :D

Warlock will make leveling easier as well as very entertaining pvp.  Mages in the early expansions have the convenience of mage portals.  Rogues are meh and too many people play them, if you want a ton of ganking fun, play a rogue.

I'd say overall warlock will be the most fun, super high dps in raids as well as great pvp options.  Having the pet will make leveling and soloing quests easy as you level.  Also, you get to save the gold when you can summon your mount instead of purchasing it.  Warlock will have a bunch of convenience and time savers for you that will make your limited time much more enjoyable.

8 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Which one out of the three classes do you think is the ''best'' one considering all the aspects of the game through all of the expansions? 

Warlock. Best DPS in Vanilla and BC. Great at PVP. Gets a free mount at 40. You have awesome tier sets, good CC, tons of utility and a pet tank. There's never really a point where they stop being good. Mage and Rogue aren't far behind, though.

Rather than asking what's best, why not play the one you like? But I do not recommend Rogue, because there's far too many of them. if Nost is any example of what to look forward to on the next server... I would stay FAR away from that class. But MDPS doesn't have many choices if this is what you want; as Warrior you'll probably be told to tank or get out (Not much of an improvement vs Rogue). But at least Warrior can get all of its own shit at 60 by tanking. Rogue doesn't have this luxury, so rounding up your BIS set is a big pain in the ass. As far as raid slots go though... both of them are going to be a hard one to get. You'll have to convince a guild that a 10th or so MDPS is worth it. None will ever actively recruit more Rogues, and most turn Rogues down on the spot, because they have more Rogues than they know what to do with. DPS Warriors are treated pretty much the same, because they go into the same slot. Their main benefit of bringing along is less gear competition on Rogue tier sets. A guild is more likely to slot a Fury Warrior, because they're bound to already have 6 Rogues, as opposed to a 7th Rogue. But this is only a slight improvement... don't take it as a big plus.

For casters... Mage is all around better in Classic, but not so much so that you can't go Warlock if you want to. Warlock has less competition because the majority of casters will roll the superior Mage, making that an advantage itself. I also don't like being begged all the time for water or portals, which is my personal opinion. Selling these in cities doesn't hurt, but you're not going to get rich off it anytime soon. Both classes can farm quite well regardless.

I'd go warlock. Rogues and Mages are a huge part of the population so you have more competition for...well, everything. That said, mages top the chart in vanilla and are better for farming gold. But, they take a backseat to locks in TBC. Other than saving money on mounts, the 60 quest for your epic is pretty cool too as a lock. It does also depend on your play style, though. Some people just aren't into having a pet; others find mage frostbolt spam boring in PvE (not that shadow bolt spam is really better >_>) 

44 minutes ago, Malediction said:

Warlock. Best DPS in Vanilla...

Just curious: What numbers can warlocks in theory reach during vanilla? Asking mainly because I recall that there's been a spreadsheet around for them but I did only take a quick view at it a good 2-3 years ago.

11 hours ago, Drain said:

Rather than asking what's best, why not play the one you like?

In case you didn't understand. I like all three of them. Equally much.

So here's the way I see it.

Rogues - Incredibly OP in Vanilla and TBC and still very good in WOTLK and Cata. PvP-gods. Always top 5 dps in raids. They are okay grinders since they kill mobs fast, but can never take on many mobs. Pickpocket and stealth helping you out of every situation.

Mage - Very good all the way. Insanely good at times and just very good at times. Is never in a bad spot. Always top dps or almost top dps. PvP-gods. Great grinders. Can tale on multiple mobs at once. Great utility. Food/Portals.

Warlock - Insanely good in late vanilla and SL/SL-times of tbc. Still pretty good in WOTLK-Cata. Nr. 1 DPS at times(is it early vanilla and sunwell?). Great in PvP withlots of CC and dots! Great grinders and can take on multiple mobs at once. Healthstones/soul stones.

Omg how will I choose? All three of them are so much fun and so great classes.

Well, rogues have one distinct disadvantage when it comes to raiding: They're not ranged. Vanilla raid encounters especially often are built to favor ranged dps over melee dps - the encounters where the opposite is true are rather few.

On the upside, they can stealth, so if you do a lot of open-world stuff, that may be a consideration. Also, lockpicking.

Both mages and warlocks are well liked in groups for their CC - again, something that rogues do have, but at higher cost (must be at group to sap, and in Vanilla, sap will/may break stealth, making it even more unreliable).

edit: You may have a bit of an easier time of getting loot on a rogue, since druids and shaman both aren't often taken as physical dps in raids. The caster loot pool is a bit more contended usually.

7 minutes ago, Thrixsulpax said:

Hunter, Warrior, and Druid

Depends on what you want to do. In Vanilla, warriors are mostly relegated to tanking, druids to healing, and hunters to pulling and dps. It would help a bit if you already had some inkling of what you want to achieve.

Edited by Avila

32 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

So here's the way I see it.

Rogues - Incredibly OP in Vanilla and TBC and still very good in WOTLK and Cata. PvP-gods. Always top 5 dps in raids. They are okay grinders since they kill mobs fast, but can never take on many mobs. Pickpocket and stealth helping you out of every situation.

Mage - Very good all the way. Insanely good at times and just very good at times. Is never in a bad spot. Always top dps or almost top dps. PvP-gods. Great grinders. Can tale on multiple mobs at once. Great utility. Food/Portals.

Warlock - Insanely good in late vanilla and SL/SL-times of tbc. Still pretty good in WOTLK-Cata. Nr. 1 DPS at times(is it early vanilla and sunwell?). Great in PvP withlots of CC and dots! Great grinders and can take on multiple mobs at once. Healthstones/soul stones.

Omg how will I choose? All three of them are so much fun and so great classes.

Pretty difficult to compare. All have pros and cons, and in a progressive point of view it gets harder.

First you should choose if you want fight at melee or from afar. If you prefer melee the choice is pretty obvious.

If you choose a ranged class then you have to ponder between two very similar classes.  Warlock have some DoT's and pets but both are good for grinding, both have good DPS, both are good at PvP, both have nice utilities for raiding. Both are almost (at least in vanilla raids) a one spell spamming class (apart from Warlock's DoT's and pets).

Aesthetically is a very subjective point of view (I prefer sinister appearance of warlocks).

In the end your decision will be given by other details like:

Do you prefer to cast water and food for you and all your raid, or grind a ton of soul shards to make all the stones needed for you and your raid?

Do you prefer have to summon party members or summon portals to everyone and maybe earn some gold doing it? 

Do you prefer free food and drink forever or almost free badass mounts?... Probably I'm missing things but surely you get the idea.

Edited by Toche

15 hours ago, Malediction said:

Warlock. Best DPS in Vanilla and BC. Great at PVP. Gets a free mount at 40. You have awesome tier sets, good CC, tons of utility and a pet tank. There's never really a point where they stop being good. Mage and Rogue aren't far behind, though.

Warlock is definitely enjoyable class to play, especially if you enjoy micro managing your pet (as it should be on passive all the time), dots and how many mobs you can pull at once. 
Oh and ofc there's Life Tap (healer's favorite spell), that makes u a killing machine without any downtime, but expect lots of Wand action during leveling.
PvP is also quite fun with few viable specs, depends what you prefer. 
Raiding is very similar to Mage as you wont be multidotitng because of debuff limit, usually you will be assigned to keep one of the curses on the target and just spam SB, but when compared to Mage, Lock has really big drawback... Threat, as you don't have any mechanics to reduce it, so it limits your DPS potential significantly, ofcourse Lock shines on Raggy where threat is not an issue.

During Tbc, Warlock is is really dull class to play.
PvP is just complete faceroll with probably the most broken spec in wow history - SL/SL,  ofc there's a destro pvp which is really fun, but its not even on the same level when compared to previously mentionen SL/SL.
Pve is just Shadowbolt spam thru the whole xpac, that's it.

Edited by Vandalas

9 minutes ago, Toche said:

First you should choose if you want fight at melee or from afar.

This doesn't matter to me. I don't prefer either. I like em both equally!

3 hours ago, imbaslap said:

all 3 classes can be played as undead.

You are quite right my friend.

I will however most likely roll Alliance. I am far too fond of Stormwind and Ironforge!

You shouldn't care about DPS. It doesn't matter at all because the guild will take both classes regardless. What you should care about is everything else. The biggest factor should be the difficulty to get slots and equipment. On Nost, half the server's DPS was Rogue. Gearing one BIS was nearly impossible, and so was securing a raid slot. Guilds only had room for a minority of the amount of players wanting to raid with the class. I eventually switched over to Hunter because of this, and went from struggling, to having the game handed to me. Hunter, on top of being the most easymode DPS class, had the least amount of competition on slots and gear. My Hunter took less time to get full T1 than my Rogue who didn't manage to get a single slot in more time spent raiding.

If you really do want to raid as MDPS, I suggest doing it quickly. Don't drag ass getting to 60 and looking for that raid slot. Things will only get worse over time. Once guilds get their slots filled, they won't give you the time of day, then you'll be left waiting for newer guilds, which will be insta filled by the 100 daily Rogues looking for a raid slot anywhere they can get it. But if you're coming late to the raid scene on a server... you can forget about MDPS.

16 minutes ago, Drain said:

You shouldn't care about DPS. It doesn't matter at all because the guild will take both classes regardless. What you should care about is everything else. The biggest factor should be the difficulty to get slots and equipment. On Nost, half the server's DPS was Rogue. Gearing one BIS was nearly impossible, and so was securing a raid slot. Guilds only had room for a minority of the amount of players wanting to raid with the class. I eventually switched over to Hunter because of this, and went from struggling, to having the game handed to me. Hunter, on top of being the most easymode DPS class, had the least amount of competition on slots and gear. My Hunter took less time to get full T1 than my Rogue who didn't manage to get a single slot in more time spent raiding.

If you really do want to raid as MDPS, I suggest doing it quickly. Don't drag ass getting to 60 and looking for that raid slot. Things will only get worse over time. Once guilds get their slots filled, they won't give you the time of day, then you'll be left waiting for newer guilds, which will be insta filled by the 100 daily Rogues looking for a raid slot anywhere they can get it. But if you're coming late to the raid scene on a server... you can forget about MDPS.

Good point. Do you suggest Mage's will have the same problem?

I suppose Warlock will be the best option in that case since they are needed and there aren't that many of them.

Mages don't have it anywhere near as badly as MDPS for competition. It's just higher than Warlocks. But as I've said, if you want to do MDPS, do it quickly, and try it first, the sooner you can get a slot before the thousands of other MDPS ding 60 looking for theirs, the better. If you're late to the game, you're probably going to be forced to go ranged if you want to get anywhere. Makes for a good plan B though.

Gittin dem soulshards tho! Warlocks are such a drag, on top of the usual pre-raid farming you need those freaking shards. And then end up spamming one button half asleep anyway. I love warlock for lore reasons, but damn are they a boring chore of a class.
I guess mages arent that different but getting people food and occasional teleport doesnt come close, you can even earn some G's with teleport, lock summons gets you jack.

Selling water/portals is chump change. So is opening boxes. Mages really make their money AOE farming DME. Warlocks can make their own money selling DMW demon summons, which I preferred to do over killing the same 4 groups of plants all day. There's no way to contest which is better, because the DMW is heavily unpredictable. The Mage farm however is consistent, depending entirely on you, unless you're ganked outside the doors and die. That makes it the more reliable option, if nothing else, but personally I found it so boring I couldn't stomach doing it. With 60s of both, and the summon mats, I happily took my DMW summon runs. I'd have cared more about the plants if I had a character with Alchemy, but I didn't. If you have someone with Alchemy, then it'll be more worth the trouble. It doesn't have to be the Mage either, since all the plant drops are tradable.

Between mage and warlock, which is better for doing dungeon/raid AND pvp with the SAME spec (don't want to respec all the time but want to do both),

and (with a pvp/pve spec) which is globally easier for new player at 60 for 1v1 open pvp? (I get quickly confused when there is to much abilities to use under pressure)

Edited by Titousky

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎27 at 6:02 PM, Titousky said:

Between mage and warlock, which is better for doing dungeon/raid AND pvp with the SAME spec (don't want to respec all the time but want to do both),

Warlock, SM/Ruin is a top PvE and top PvP spec. It's pretty hard to find a great mage spec that works well in both PvP and PvE, unfortunately.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎27 at 6:02 PM, Titousky said:

which is globally easier for new player at 60 for 1v1 open pvp? (I get quickly confused when there is to much abilities to use under pressure)

Mage, by far

Edited by Topdps

On 11/3/2016 at 3:44 PM, Thrixsulpax said:

I'm going to hijack this thread and ask between:

Hunter, Warrior, and Druid

Fixed ^

46 minutes ago, Topdps said:

Warlock, SM/Ruin is a top PvE and top PvP spec. It's pretty hard to find a great mage spec that works well in both PvP and PvE, but if you are willing to play with Winter's Chill in MC/BWL-raids (you need at least 1 WC-specced mage every raid) you could play something like this: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0y0ofZZVAMcofzVo even though it's not optimal.

Mage, by far

Thank you for the help, so I guess I should go mage since I also want to pvp but I'm terribly bad at it, so it would be less a disaster compared if a choose warlock.

I'm a little worried about the overpopulation of mages compared to warlocks in vanilla, here are the stats of kronos: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qvqvaSJxgINkTQUXvRkpel1ij_-HGKT5o2A4bi28gZQ/edit#gid=0

Will it be much harder to find a raid spot, and get gears as mage ?