Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DeeMarie

Nos/Ely PvE Realm Concern

34 posts in this topic

(This isn't a promotion regarding that realm, I have no intention of playing there once CF releases)

I know there's post on the Developer's forum and the General Discussion forum but I feel this news affects us PvE'rs more than most. PvE servers tend to be somewhat less populated, though you can argue most pservers don't even bother and Nos was the first to offer a decent realm for the carebears. But yeah we're usually at the short end pop wise.

If Nos/Ely are going to copy/paste the Nos PvE server, how is this going to affect us? Nos PvE was nearing what 2/3k playerbase with established guilds. Guilds are the mainstay of a good community and population. Just look at the Nos/Kronos race and where the social and raiding guilds fell dictated the rise in pop on Nos and the decline on Kronos.

I think CF will be the superior product, though I'm sure Elysium PvE will be perfectly fine too, but even this reminds me of how people used to say Kronos had better scripting. I guess I just want the PvE community to be vast enough that CF doesn't cancel on us due to everyone playing elsewhere :(

What do you guys think? Am I too pessimistic (and drunk)?

Who knows...

If Elysium receives Nost DB maybe I'll give it a try, but only until Crestfall release.

The rest of the old Nost PvE community is split between here, Kronos, Elysium, other servers, retail, and people in break time; but is hard to tell in which proportion, and how many will come to Crestfall when it open so it will affect us for sure, but who knows how.

I hope Crestfall's high quality will be the real deal.

I don't think it will be an issue long term. CF have been fairly fortunate in that their planned release has been put back. While I would expect that they will up their game promo-wise, I still can't see the server launch before end Q1. With the Nostelysium ReBirth launch they now have zero reason to push things through. Might as well take their time to ensure 95% is working as intended. So we're looking at about 4 months to play around with our old toons and guilds if around.

But then what?

Regardless of the Nostalrius input we're going to have an emulator that was so last year. Scripts not so hot, end raiding compromised, various bugs that were endearing then but are plain annoying now. Worse still, what's the end game? Certainly not a TBC and WotLK emulator as a PTE. The whole attraction with Crestfall has always been the new gen emulator that's not working off a stock MaNGOS core with PTE as the carrot on a stick.

So people will play the PvE realm on Nostelysium that's for sure, me included. We have to acknowledge that. We're going to have a good time, but I would remind people that when asked to vote on which expansion they wanted to stop at, only 7% said vanilla. So for me in the end there's only one clear choice. Besides, CF will now be a slow burner. It's not going to have the white knight hype as previous and that can only be a good thing. 

So yeah, let me buy you a beer someday in Zul'Dare, we can get totally pissed and reminisce about the good old days.

I agree with Outstanding. If people want the progressive server, they'll go to CF. If they want to stay on Vanilla, then they'll stay on Elysium. But I'll be starting here on Vanilla, even if there's only a bit of players because of Elysium/Nost hype. Then I'll just wait for the server to progress to TBC and hopefully we'll get more people around because of it. =] 

45 minutes ago, Toche said:

I hope Crestfall's high quality will be the real deal.

Same, same. 

Let's be real, crestfall is not releasing anytime soon and so that's 4-6months(could me more) where thousands of players are playing both the old Nostalrius pvp/pve server and a new pvp server. Let's say Crestfall is slightly better server then Nost, that still won't encourage the majority of players who have already invested their time on those servers to come to CF unless there are massive problems with their server. Vanilla wow takes time to get geared and many (including myself) are tired of starting over and waiting.

Fact is the majority of players who are waiting to play Vanilla wow where Nostalrius refuges and we all know where they are going.

33 minutes ago, Kel said:

Let's be real, crestfall is not releasing anytime soon and so that's 4-6months(could me more) where thousands of players are playing both the old Nostalrius pvp/pve server and a new pvp server. Let's say Crestfall is slightly better server then Nost, that still won't encourage the majority of players who have already invested their time on those servers to come to CF unless there are massive problems with their server. Vanilla wow takes time to get geared and many (including myself) are tired of starting over and waiting.

Fact is the majority of players who are waiting to play Vanilla wow where Nostalrius refuges and we all know where they are going.

It kind of sounds like you're insinuating that CF is doomed. In all honesty, I think server population will depend on a lot more than Nostralius, one of the deciding factors being the quality of CF. People said what you're saying about Kronos, vis-a-vis Nostralius, and it has faired just fine. We'll see. There might be more people willing to wait for CF than you think, and if it turns out to be a good server, it seems like CF will only gain momentum rather than lose it, as has been implied above.

I'm a bit concerned too about the PvE side - will there be enough to support a 2-3k pop on both servers? The majority of PvE'ers came here because there was nowhere else to go, now that reason is gone.

I guess much will depend on when Nost2/Nossium/Elysius/whateveryouwannacallit launches, and how far CF is developed by then.  I've no doubt this will be the better server, but it will have to compete with a re-formed Nost community. :/

Edited by Momonn

There doesn't seem to be a "fresh start" PvE server announced, at least not yet. Personally, I'd rather play from a fresh state rather than to play catch-up to players with already existing characters - I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Besides, I trust CF to deliver a superior product.

The real question I want answered through all this:

Who's going to start a guild over there named <Waiting for Crestfall>, or <Shillax Crestfall Mates>, or <Here till 2030>? I expect to join one of these...

I'm fairly new to the scene so this is speculation only. 

I think perhaps the PvE crowd is potentially much larger than people might think. I was very reluctant to play on a private server because there was no choice. I started playing on Nostalrius PvP and to be honest I didn't like it. When the PvE server was announced, I immediately stopped leveling and waited for it. 

Am I correct in thinking nostalrius PvE was the first well known private server PvE realm? Well, it exceeded the expectations of many, not least the PvP community on nostalrius who kept saying it was going to be the death of the whole project. 

I think the rise and fall of nostalrius brought attention to private servers from many new players. Some of them players like me, who are very  reluctant to PvP servers. This is only the baby steps of the PvE scene on private servers. I think there will be plenty of people to support two well-known projects.

Personally I like the CF mindset and concept better, and I'm burnt by what happened with nostalrius the first time around. I will definitely be around when CF launches. Providing it will stick to the promise of a PVE server ;)

This is really good thread, made me really start thinking what i should do. Tbh i really enjoyed Nost PVE. Possibility of getting back my fresh 60 is exciting and i rather wont resist. Moreover what for me counts most is proper patching, especially in terms of gear and content matching each other (no more fucking Spellweaver Turban etc from start). I even liked almost no spell power gear be4 patch 1.4-1.5 though i got all clothes toons. CF gonna have 2 phasing system (pre 1.9 and after around aq release) which though is a reasonable choice, wont suit me as much (but thats just my opinion).

Summing up, as i said i ll be for sure here at release, to at least check things out. And even if i wouldnt be so active (and progress here in vanilla), im gonna prepare and polish everything for TBC switch and go hardcore there (btw just sth came to my mind, what if Nostalrius TBC release first; hm but now i guess im too optimistic as opposed to DeeMarie (and drunk?xD))

8 hours ago, Blackrobe said:

(btw just sth came to my mind, what if Nostalrius TBC release first; hm but now i guess im too optimistic as opposed to DeeMarie (and drunk?xD))

That would be down to CF devs missing their plans of a four month content release gap, although I'm not sure if there would be four months between Naxx and TBC. I hope not because that's more or less what happened on live when TBC was announced, half the guilds just stopped even trying :(

As we understand it so far, Valkyrie doesn't have plans for TBC yet but will focus on delivering vanilla content. I can't really remember the Nos timeline. It was 3 months after Ony and MC to BWL planned, but ended up 6 or 7 months? So maybe they won't go so quick that CF can't overtake :P

It concerns me.

I won't be going back to Nost PvE, they've got a track record now of caving under pressure, and Elysium have a proven record that;

• They took 8 years on their main realm and were unable to script or release AQ or Naxx.
  • On their 'rebooted' realm they had lost more than 50% of their population within 2 months of release.

If it wasn't for the Nost announcement, Elysium would be headed to the scrap heap. Add to that the fact that the lead devs and admins of Nost aren't involved, I'm not entirely sure on where Nost ends up. However, if they do get all the population and Crestfall either

• Doesn't release a PvE server after all.
  • Releases a PvE server, which doesn't get sustainable population and is rolled into the main PvP server.

I'll probably drop out of the entire P-server scene for a few years until another viable PvE option comes along.

It doesnt concern me.

21 minutes ago, Elicas said:

I won't be going back to Nost PvE, they've got a track record now of caving under pressure, and Elysium have a proven record that;

• They took 8 years on their main realm and were unable to script or release AQ or Naxx.

A track record of caving under pressure lmfao, is that really is, or u ve become just too big crestfall PVE fanboy atm?... nvm but what u wrote dont apply to Elysium but Valkyrie.. and it makes difference i assure u, just look fe at their elysium timeline, u think they are so crazed to set aq and naxx half year ahead not thinking they can do that in at least close approximity to the timeline..?)

30 minutes ago, Elicas said:

If it wasn't for the Nost announcement, Elysium would be headed to the scrap heap. Add to that the fact that the lead devs and admins of Nost aren't involved,

Disagree. Elysium was on their way up anyway. They improved things daily (like pathfinding), fixed bugs on weekly basis, care for community (answer every in-game ticket in lik 2-4 h, which is totally not seen on other servers, explain things on discord etc.). Yea they dont have the pop (werent so lucky like kronos to catch some nost non-life elitist) but that ll now change probably when combined with nost brand. As to devs and admins, maybe lead ones are not involved (who knows maybe they dont want to state that and work under other names), but some for sure are. For me u just bashing Elysium without no real reason.

43 minutes ago, Elicas said:

However, if they do get all the population and Crestfall either

• Doesn't release a PvE server after all.
  • Releases a PvE server, which doesn't get sustainable population and is rolled into the main PvP server.

I'll probably drop out of the entire P-server scene for a few years until another viable PvE option comes along.

Do as u wish. However I ll roll here in both cases. Im not here for PVE realm but for PTE idea (guess not only me:P) and though i prefer much more framed bgs than being forced to fight bored kids/retards in open world, that is really no reason for me to drop out of the whole great project for that small nuisance.

12 minutes ago, Blackrobe said:

A track record of caving under pressure lmfao, is that really is, or u ve become just too big crestfall PVE fanboy atm?... nvm but what u wrote dont apply to Elysium but Valkyrie.. and it makes difference i assure u, just look fe at their elysium timeline, u think they are so crazed to set aq and naxx half year ahead not thinking they can do that in at least close approximity to the timeline..?)

Nost has a track record of caving in and shutting their server down, it's literally why they're re-releasing, they closed 7 months ago. Elysium and Valkyrie are the exact same team, the exact same devs. It took them 8 years and they hadn't released AQ. Yes, I believe the Elysium schedule is bullshit. They couldn't script this stuff properly on their old realm, what makes you think they're suddenly able to?

Disagree. Elysium was on their way up anyway. They improved things daily (like pathfinding), fixed bugs on weekly basis, care for community (answer every in-game ticket in lik 2-4 h, which is totally not seen on other servers, explain things on discord etc.). Yea they dont have the pop (werent so lucky like kronos to catch some nost non-life elitist) but that ll now change probably when combined with nost brand. As to devs and admins, maybe lead ones are not involved (who knows maybe they dont want to state that and work under other names), but some for sure are. For me u just bashing Elysium without no real reason.

Elysium dropped from peaks of 1.4k a week after release to a peak of ~650 players last week. That is not on their way up, in any way, shape or form. Pathfinding and generally buggyness of the server is about the same as Kronos, which is generally regarded as a shit tier mangos server.

The lead devs and admins are not involved with the new Elysium project. Nosts '16' team members at Elysium include people like Pottu, who is a forum moderator.

Do as u wish. However I ll roll here in both cases. Im not here for PVE realm but for PTE idea (guess not only me:P) and though i prefer much more framed bgs than being forced to fight bored kids/retards in open world, that is really no reason for me to drop out of the whole great project for that small nuisance.

Good for you.

The vast majority are here in the Zul'dare section because it is PvE.

Elysium and Valkyrie are the exact same team, the exact same devs. It took them 8 years and they hadn't released AQ. Yes, I believe the Elysium schedule is bullshit. They couldn't script this stuff properly on their old realm, what makes you think they're suddenly able to?

True they are same team but i think its rather bout their approach rather then skills. And i dont believe people can be so retarded to come out with mission impossible for em, especially in short-term period like their timeline.

Elysium dropped from peaks of 1.4k a week after release to a peak of ~650 players last week. That is not on their way up, in any way, shape or form. Pathfinding and generally buggyness of the server is about the same as Kronos, which is generally regarded as a shit tier mangos server.

Well, didnt know u consider yer way to the scrap heap only by numbers. Anyway i said they got problems with pop. My 'way up' statement concerned the trend. Tbh they even dropped to 400 peak but that was cause of hardware crush and forced rollback for almost whole day. Then pop started to rise again gradually reaching almost 700 people peaks and i believe it would still rise even if not combined with Nost.

The lead devs and admins are not involved with the new Elysium project. Nosts '16' team members at Elysium include people like Pottu, who is a forum moderator.

I'll just copy paste from another thread. This is written by Viper:

The source code will be first given to an existing Legacy project which we believe to be the most in line with our core values, named Elysium. This server shares the volunteer spirit and passion for the game we had. Furthermore, an important part of Nostalrius volunteers are already working there, some under different names. We wish them all the best, and hope that they will become a new home for the reunited Vanilla community. We will continue collaborating closely with them. This collaboration could include additional "things" to share with them if necessary to achieve this goal. In exchange, this server promised to not receive any profit from this activity. They will also have to create the documentation required to install, understand and use the work we did. 

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44550

31 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Good for you.

The vast majority are here in the Zul'dare section because it is PvE.

Yea, good for meB|

Well, im not as familiar to forums here as u r, but i really thought people are with CF cause of PTE idea mainly, no matter if its pvp or pve realm. Forgive me if im wrong :P).

On 6.11.2016 at 11:39 PM, DeeMarie said:

(This isn't a promotion regarding that realm, I have no intention of playing there once CF releases)

I know there's post on the Developer's forum and the General Discussion forum but I feel this news affects us PvE'rs more than most. PvE servers tend to be somewhat less populated, though you can argue most pservers don't even bother and Nos was the first to offer a decent realm for the carebears. But yeah we're usually at the short end pop wise.

If Nos/Ely are going to copy/paste the Nos PvE server, how is this going to affect us? Nos PvE was nearing what 2/3k playerbase with established guilds. Guilds are the mainstay of a good community and population. Just look at the Nos/Kronos race and where the social and raiding guilds fell dictated the rise in pop on Nos and the decline on Kronos.

I think CF will be the superior product, though I'm sure Elysium PvE will be perfectly fine too, but even this reminds me of how people used to say Kronos had better scripting. I guess I just want the PvE community to be vast enough that CF doesn't cancel on us due to everyone playing elsewhere :(

What do you guys think? Am I too pessimistic (and drunk)?

The core of Hope will be rejoining Nost, for the moment.

IF CF creates a superior product (which I belive they will) I am sure we will be rolling on CF when they launch. However as a top tier guild it seems silly not to invest the time every week to have some fun and make sure we stay on top of gearing in the event CF isnt a superior product...

Its not like clearing 4x Ony and 1x MC takes more than 1h 30 min total on Nost anyway.... 

Sounds like there is only going to be one pve server there and it'll have the old database. Lots of people will want to start fresh = higher CF population. 

On 11/6/2016 at 11:39 PM, DeeMarie said:

Nos PvE was nearing what 2/3k playerbase with established guilds.

it was 6k peak ;_;

oh and, ill be there again with my guild but, since CF is going to deliver and be PTE i will play on the official servers once they are up.
ofcourse the testing will go on too, you could say imsniffing out the competitions problems ;)

I'm sure there will be plenty of us around. I'm personally only a PvE player these days. I don't have enough time to spend my few precious gaming hours running back from a graveyard! I shouldn't worry about it, even with lowish pop good guilds will be established and instances will be ran.

17 hours ago, Zunnie said:

The core of Hope will be rejoining Nost, for the moment.

IF CF creates a superior product (which I belive they will) I am sure we will be rolling on CF when they launch. However as a top tier guild it seems silly not to invest the time every week to have some fun and make sure we stay on top of gearing in the event CF isnt a superior product...

Its not like clearing 4x Ony and 1x MC takes more than 1h 30 min total on Nost anyway.... 

I think this is probably wise, but also unfortunately what the majority are likely to do and they're not going to switch if they're happy on Nos. Especially not if they've been raiding for a few months.

CF will not be out for those few months since the CB announcement. Closed Beta will find bugs, Open beta a ton more. I remember what the Corecraft github looked like, it was horrendous and that's only TBC!

In my initial post I said I had no intention of play to stay, but at least five months before CF is a long time and I miss WoW and my PvE friends and there's no certainty for the CF PvE server now. I don't really trust Nos, I don't think Valkyrie will be able to deliver, but now we have a rock and a hard place decision to make :(

CFs success / population will stand or fall with its quality.

if they are able to deliver and manage release pressure, there is nothing to be concerned about.

if they end up reminding ppl at playtbc release, there wont be anything left to be concerned about.

i look forward the release. i will be here. but i have zero expectations.

its easier this way ;)

Nost PvE had ~3-5k players online at a time. I think it's more than likely that both servers could have a good population (even 1.5k is totally fine). I think we'll get even more players playing classic than there were before during Nost times. So much attention has been drawn to this scene =)

I'll play on Nost/Elysium PvE. I have a lvl60 there. But I'll try out Crestfall for sure. I think it will have way higher quality. Though I'm not really sure if I want to go the TBC way. Time will tell!

20 minutes ago, Nagrim said:

(even 1.5k is totally fine)

couldnt agree more. i dont get the insane pop addiction at all, i can only imagine ppl just doesnt know what its like.

i recently spent some time on a wotlk server, 2k+ pop. constant raids, all zones populated, instant dungeon invites thru out the dk levelling (tank) and not even once i got the impression of something being empty. and thats with outland and northrend.

when i see ppl wanting 12k on vanilla i just cant wrap my head around it. im glad nost is back. they will take a good chunk of players and its a good thing.

10 hours ago, Yakooki said:

when i see ppl wanting 12k on vanilla i just cant wrap my head around it. im glad nost is back. they will take a good chunk of players and its a good thing.

People are just spoiled as hell, that's all. But I agree with this sentiment. Hell, when I played on VoA's PvE server, back when it was still alive, it had around a 1k population, pretty balanced on both sides - I never had trouble finding groups or seeing people out and about. I'm sure without X-Ream, tons of official Blizzard servers would be completely barren. 

I'd be glad if we could stay afloat at a balanced 1k pop. Ecstatic at 2k. Positively jumping at 3k. :)