Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1moarsoul

[Guide] Mage Leveling Compendium

Mage Leveling Compendium

0ef5455f04284971b5946e47a34bcb31.jpg

1. Introduction
  2. Creating your character
  3. Stats explanation
  4. Leveling Builds
  5. Spells weights
  6. Leveling Zones and Spots
  7. Usefull Tips

Introduction

First of all, let me thank the dev team for such a wonderful work they are doing for us, I'm really appreciate this. While I was browsing other class threads, I was wondering why mages have no leveling information here at all, compared to others. Well, together, my intellectual brothers and sisters I believe we can make some experience sharing and makes this thing be completed, so any criticism, comments and additions are very welcome. Quickly about mage class, just fo newbies - we are using our mana to cast spells, we can wear only cloth amor, as weapons - staffs, one handed swords and daggers, shooting with wands. We have 3 main schools of magic - arcane, fire and frost. Well, it's almostly all for now, let's go further on our topics.

Creating your character

First we should speak about races in depths.

Alliance have 2 choices:

1. Human

Well, first, but not least, females here have a great look and animations of casting, you know ^_^ You have Diplomacy which provides Reputation gains increased by 10%. , that can outbid everything other traits for some kind of people :D Also this race have Perception - 3 mins cooldown that Dramatically increases stealth detection for 20 sec. Maybe usefull in PvP for detecting rogues or druids aiming to gank you while leveling, not bad, but most of time worthless while leveling. Sword Specialization and Mace Specialization meaningless for us, because we never use our meele weapons for damage dealing ( only for lulz B|), only for stats. And last racial trait is The Human Spirit  Spirit increased by 5%. spirit increases mana and health regeneration rates, which have their advantage for human priests as they leveling with Spirit Tap and some kind of spirit gear but absolutly meaningless for human mages. Shines mostly of females and 10% rep increses ^_^ 

2. Gnome

You will never see your epic gear on these little bastards ^_^ In spite of this, they have some decent traits for mage : Expansive Mind  Intelligence increased by 5%. Since Intellect is our primary stat - that's just decent. Arcane Resistance  Arcane Resistance increased by 10. Well, worthless for leveling, but slightly increases your chance to be hit by arcane spells, and even Polymorphed by another mage, may save you in some sort of PvP encounters, as an another your trait Escape Artist  Escape the effects of any immobilization or movement speed reduction effect.  Also you have Engeneering Specialization  Engineering skill increased by 15.  which is great for PvP-oriented mages, since they defenitely wish to have that profession, due to it's profit. Great race for both PvP and PvE anyways.

Horde also have 2 choices:

1. Undead

Great look and animation both male and female. Also have some strong traits - Cannibalize When activated, regenerates 7% of total health every 2 sec for 10 sec. Only works on Humanoid or Undead corpses within 5 yds. Any movement, action, or damage taken while Cannibalizing will cancel the effect. 30% health over 10 secs. Combined with bandage will fullfill our needs at health restoration after combat, when you dont want to sit for eat and drink. Not bad, I'll say. Shadow Resistance  Shadow Resistance increased by 10. Same as gnome, but can help you while PvP with warlocks and priests. Also I found mobs casting shadow school more often while leveling, rather arcane, so it's also helps slightly in PvE. Underwater Breathing  Underwater breath lasts 300% longer than normal. Rise and shine, we have 4 mins for underwater encounters, compared to 1 min for other races, shines at few locations while leveling, do not underestimate it! ^_^ Last but not least - Will of the Forsaken Provides immunity to Charm, Fear and Sleep while active. May also be used while already afflicted by Charm, Fear or Sleep. Lasts 5 sec. Hell, our bread and butter! 2 mins cooldown against mobs who fear or charm, against warlocks, priests, warriors. Shines both PvE and PvP, but mostly PvP ofc.

2. Troll

Well, here we have nice tusks and following traits - Beast Slaying  Damage dealt versus Beasts increased by 5%. Not bad, we will have some amount of beasts on our way to 60 and after^_^ Regeneration  Health regeneration rate increased by 10%. 10% of total Health regeneration may continue during combat. Well, not bad to regeneartion our health, but since we have not much spirit (why even should we) and we have free food - not shiny at all trait.  Berserking Increases your attack and casting speed by 10% to 30%. At full health the speed increase is 10% with a greatly effect up to 30% if you are badly hurt when you activate Berserker. Lasts 10 sec. Well, really nice trait with a 3 mins cooldown, allowing us to burst our target especially we have small health (seems to be 50% or less health to get that 30% casting speed bonus, but not tested! really apreciate if someone have more determinate values). Bow Specialization and Throwing Specialization is meaningless for us since we are mages. Best race for PvE as mage on Horde side.

Stats Explanation

1. Strength. Increases attack power with melee weapons. Wothless for mage!

2. Agility. Increases attack power with arnged weapons. Improves chance to score a critical hit with all weapons. Increases armor and chance to dodge attacks. Well, we actually uses our ranged weapon - wands, and it's affected by agility, but it's profit really pity, due to primary mage stat, because you should only use your wand when OOM, not when grinding (hello wand-leveling priests :D).

3. Stamina. Increases health points. Simply as it says! Just boosts your health points, nothing more!

4. Intellect. Increases mana points and chance to score a critical hit with spells. Increases the rate at which weapon skills improve. Our primary stat, in addition to obvious things like mana pool, spell crit, also provides us a faster skill leveling with wands and also our melee weapon (lol what xD).

5. Spirit. Increases health and mana regeneration rates. Sounds good, but on practice - almost worthless.

6. Armor. Decrease the amount of damage taken from physical attacks. The amount of reduction is influenced be the level of the attacker. Well, we have really small amount of armor, due to we have some spells to increase it. Later on it.

7. Spell damage\School spell damage - secondary stat sometimes you may meet on gear. Very usefull, when you know what you doing, and worthless if you dont ( You think you do, but you don't joke there B|). Later on it.

An item that increases Damage done by Spells and Effects by 21 will not add 21 damage to all spells you cast. You have to look up the Spell-coefficient for our spells to see how much of your spelldamage will benefit the various spells. The theorycraft addon will actually show this while in-game, but for the sake of examples here are a few: 

81.4% Frostbolt
100% Fireball
42.8% Fireblast
42.8% Scorch
14.3% Arcane Explosion

So with the example of 21 spell damage increase, you only see the full 21 damage on fireballs. Every arcane explosion will do 3 more damage to each target affected (which adds up ofcourse since it may affect many targets at once).

8. Spell hit chance - another secondary stat, you will almost never meet this on equipment while leveling, and since it's leveling and not raiding guide - what the heck is this thing doing there?

As a caster you will -always- have 1% chance to miss with your spells.
But also the level difference between you and your target adds further chances to miss.

Difference in levels between you and your target (EP = Elemental precision talent in frost tree):
 Same level = 4% chance to miss. 3% chance to Hit is needed for cap. With EP 1\3 = 2% chance to miss, with EP 2\3 = 1% chance to miss
 1 level       = 5% chance to miss. 4% chance to Hit is needed for cap. With EP 1\3 = 3% chance to miss, with EP 2\3 = 1% chance to miss
 2 levels      = 6% chance to miss. 5% chance to Hit is needed for cap. With EP 1\3 = 4% chance to miss, with EP 2\3 = 2% chance to miss, with EP 3\3 = 1% chance to miss
 3 levels      = 17% chance to miss. 16% chance to Hit is needed for cap. With EP 1\3 = 15% chance to miss, with EP 2\3 = 13% chance to miss, with EP 3\3 = 11% chance to miss

Imho, optimal for leveling is go 2\3 EP, you will have only 1% difference chance to miss compared to 3\3, but this is a talent point that can be spent somewhere else.

9. Spell crit chance - another secondary stat, you will almost never meet this on equipment while leveling, but you sometime can get it from talents, which is really nice in some sort of builds.

Stat Priority for AoE-oriented leveling builds : Intellect -> Stamina -> Spell damage\School spell damage -> Spirit - > Agility -> Strenght(just for lulz)

Stat Priority for Single Target leveling builds : Spell damage\School spell damage -> Intellect -> Stamina -> Spirit -> Agility -> Strenght(just for lulz)

Leveling Builds

There is 2 school based builds (fire or frost based) since arcane tree provides more utility, than damage-oriented talents and 2 gameplay specific builds (AoE-oriented and Single Target oriented) which depends on personal preferences. So what tree should we choose? Well, it's all depends on your playstyle, but let me make a quick research:

So, whatever talent tree you choose, you will spam Fireball or Frostbolt most of time, if going through quests\single target oriented builds. This is a raw untalented comparison of these two abilities:

pubchart?oid=181926475&format=image

DPM - is damage per mana point - this is very important characteristic while leveling, way more importat than DPS of current spell, since it's showing us how much casts you can do before going OOM and what profit you will have from it. As you can see fireball is slightly above frostbolt, but it's damage also includes small, 5 to 10%, dot part. While leveling you dont wanna see 3,6,8sec dot go away, you just spamming fireball. Second characteristic here - DPMPS - damage per mana point per second - yeah, it's DPS per mana point in other words. Frostbolt is slightly above here, due to 0.5sec less cast time, than fireball. Also, notice that frostbolt have that 40% (50% with 3\3permafrost) speed reduction, that means melee mobs will reach you slower, rather if you were casting Fireball, giving you may be a one or even two free casts above fireball. Summarizing all above, I suggest a Frost tree as a single target spamable way to go. But, again, all is up to your playstyle!

FROST AOE GRINDING BUILDS

1. The Deep in Frost-We-Trust build

Level 20 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZMhMhz

Let's seek on talent's we have :

10-12 We have 3 points in Elemental Precision which grants us 6% reduced chance of resisting our Frost and Fire spells. You will not see any gear on +spell hit chance during leveling, this talent will have you a lot with pulling 2-3 levels above u mobs (because mob 3 levels above u have 17% miss chance on spells). Numbers not so obvious, but on long road to level 60 it shines more than 0.3 sec reduced frost bolt in any build, exeption is when you are planing level on mobs same or lower level as you (you think you do, but you dont B|).

12-14 We have 2 points in Improved Frostbolt here. Just our filler, as AoE grinding mage we should use frostbolt only on our path to 22 lvl, when we start AoE grinding. Why not in Frost Warding because it's affect our ce Armour? Well, let's do a quick research on it - Last rank (rank 4 on lvl 60) of Ice Armor gives us 560 additional armor - 30% is 168 armor, 168 armor on lvl 60! Doesn't worth this at all, and + frost resistance and 20% frost spells reflect also worthless, because you should never pull casters as AoE grinder (only melees).

14-17 Permafost 3 or 2 points. I Prefer 3, it gives you 3 additional seconds of chill, and 10% addtional speed reducing on your targets, making you frostbolt slowing target to 50%, frost/ice armor to 40%, cone of cold 60%, Improved Blizzard 2\3 to 60% and 3\3 to 75%. Just great.

17-19 2 Points in Improved Frost nova - best choice here, due to our Blizzard cannot crit (we do not pick any crit oriented talents therefore) and our Frostbite wil lsplit our pack of mobs, belive me, you don't wanna do that btw either, even if you think you do (but you don't).

Level 20 - Pick 1 point in Improved Blizzard, Just believe me ^_^

Level 30 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZMhMusfz

20-22 Improved Blizzard to 3\3. With permafrost it gives us 75% reduced speed on our packs of mobs. Just our bread and butter, we start AoE grinding at this point and all way through to 60.

23 Cold Snap. Obvious, recharges our frost nova, or Ice block, whatever.

24 1 Point in Piercing Ice, just as filler.

24-27 3 points in Frost Channeling Making our frost spell costs 15% less mana.

27-29 Arctic Reach 2 points, give as better nova radius, making easier to pull more mobs in pack. Also gives as another few yards to our Blizzard.

30 Ice Block. Just Ice Block.

Level 40 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZMhMGsftho

30-33 Improved Cone of Cold 3 points. Just busts the damage of CoC by 35%. In this build you must use this ones after 2-3 Blizzards to kill mobs, since we have 3\3 Imp Blizz our CoC will not overwrite snare of Imp Blizz. Be aware!

34 2\3 Piercing Ice. Just a filler.

35-39 5\5 Shatter. Combine with our Improved CoC and nova. Not bad at all to crit diying mobs.

40 Ice barrier. Gives us a survivability and kind of debuff protection)

PvP-realm version of this Build

Level 40 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZMIMhRftho

Explanation: We just have 2\3 Blizzard there to make our CoC overwrite snare debuff on target. Also we have much points in Ice Shards.

2. Fire Shatter Combo Build

Level 40 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZVhMGoftho

Frost Single Target build

Well, this build is both great for PvP and single target PvE encounters, especially on a fresh servers, because we have, finally, hated in AoE builds - Frostbite! Frostbite gives our chill effects chance of 15% to Freez the target for 5sec, which combine in death-crits with Shatter and Ice Shards. For this build you should always trying to abuse that +frost spell damage with some sort of equip like ...of Frozen Wrath, Azure Silk, etc. The reason is that your frostbolt will have 81.4% of bonus spell damage as it is single target spell.

Level 20 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZcfh

10-11 Elemental Precision 2\3 - Allows you to have a deal with +2 level mobs

12-14 Improved Frostbolt 3\5 - Obvious reasons

15-17 Frostbite 3\3 - Great utility both leveling and PvP while leveling

18-20 Ice Shards 3\5 - Bustes our crit damage very much

Level 30 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZciG000t

21-22 Ice Shards 5\5

22-24 Improved Frost Nova 2\2 - unlock to Shatter

24-29 Shatter 5\5 - Greatly improvement to our crit chance. Works perfect with nova and frostbite proc.

30 Iceblock - Just for suvival moments ^_^

Level 40 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZViGoobtho

31-32 Arctic Reach - nice and usefull

32-34 Improved Frostbolt 5\5 - Makes our FB(rank1) 1 sec cast, and our current FB rank - 2.5 sec cast.

35-37 Improved CoC - actually situationable, I just prefer it for PvP realms. CoC is not that mana efficient, so you wanna use it jsut in some sort of extreme situations.

38 Cold Snap - decent utility. Reason it's late is because it has a big CD and you should use it only in extreme situations.

39 Permafrost 1\3 - Just a little snare improvement and a filler

40 Ice barrier - Obvious

Level 50 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0cZZViGoRbtho

41-42 Improved Blizzard 2\3 - Just for rank 1 Blizz in PvP situations ( since every Blizz tick can proc Frostbite)

Rest talents just go in Arcane tree, or for your choice. I really recommend go to Arcane Concentration and Arcane Meditation talents, since we have no Frost Channeling.

Level 60 http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0qcocZZViGoRbtho

-------------------------------- Update section --------------------------------

12.01.16 Added update section, just to let you know when I'm adding something new ^_^ 

12.02.16 Added bonus spell damage and spell hit chance information. Added explanation of frost single target spec.

LATER ON COMPENDIUM:

Frost 40 to 60 talents, Frost Single Target build, Fire builds, etc

Spells weights

Leveling Zones and Spots

Usefull Tips

I'm just started to fill this(It's a great amount of job, though - trying to stick all together), but fill free to comment\share you expirience on leveling here (epecially on fire build, i'm not to invovled in it)! To be continued =)

Edited by 1moarsoul

This guide looks sick, I hope you'll finish it.

12 hours ago, 1moarsoul said:

1. Undead

(guess warriors have Physical fear in Vanilla, correct me if I'm wrong).

You can use WoTF against Intimidation Shout (Warrior's fear).

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm aiming to fully complete it in few weeks(lot of information and researches still there)

This thread needs some loving. I really admire the format which compliments how classy the forum architecture is.

Sadly, I lack the skills and too lazy to practice to be any good as a frosty, I levelled a troll frosty up to 60 and it was a source of immense pleasure and frustration for me. Faxmonkey was a constant inspiration.

Keep up the good work, excellent.

14 hours ago, 1moarsoul said:

Stats Explanation

9. Where is crit?:P

Hide contents

10-12 We have 3 points in Elemental Precision which grants us 6% reduced chance of resisting our Frost and Fire spells. You will not see any gear on +spell hit chance during leveling, this talent will have you a lot with pulling 2-3 levels above u mobs (because mob 3 levels above u have 17% miss chance on spells). Numbers not so obvious, but on long road to level 60 it shines more than 0.3 sec reduced frost bolt in any build, exeption is when you are planing level on mobs same or lower level as you (you think you do, but you dont B|).

12-14 We have 2 points in Improved Frostbolt here. Just our filler, as AoE grinding mage we should use frostbolt only on our path to 22 lvl, when we start AoE grinding. Why not in Frost Warding because it's affect our ce Armour? Well, let's do a quick research on it - Last rank (rank 4 on lvl 60) of Ice Armor gives us 560 additional armor - 30% is 168 armor, 168 armor on lvl 60! Doesn't worth this at all, and + frost resistance and 20% frost spells reflect also worthless, because you should never pull casters as AoE grinder (only melees).

14-17 Permafost 3 or 2 points. I Prefer 3, it gives you 3 additional seconds of chill, and 10% addtional speed reducing on your targets, making you frostbolt slowing target to 50%, frost/ice armor to 40%, cone of cold 60%, Improved Blizzard 2\3 to 60% and 3\3 to 75%. Just great.

17-19 2 Points in Improved Frost nova - best choice here, due to our Blizzard cannot crit (we do not pick any crit oriented talents therefore) and our Frostbite wil lsplit our pack of mobs, belive me, you don't wanna do that btw either, even if you think you do (but you don't).

Level 20 - Pick 1 point in Improved Blizzard, Just believe me ^_^

10-11 Improved Frostbolt>Elemental Precision till u start AOE grind.

15-17 Permafrost makes things so nice (3 points is a must unless u r a masochistxD)

Hide contents

20-22 Improved Blizzard to 3\3. With permafrost it gives us 75% reduced speed on our packs of mobs. Just our bread and butter, we start AoE grinding at this point and all way through to 60.

23 Cold Snap. Obvious, recharges our frost nova, or Ice block, whatever.

24 1 Point in Piercing Ice, just as filler.

24-27 3 points in Frost Channeling Making our frost spell costs 15% less mana.

27-29 Arctic Reach 2 points, give as better nova radius, making easier to pull more mobs in pack. Also gives as another few yards to our Blizzard.

30 Ice Block. Just Ice Block.

20-22 Hm, well u can start yer aoe grind now but tbh it wont be more efficient than normal lvling unless u really have good gear (rather wont happen on yer first toon).

25-26 Arctic Reach is a must at that point (it makes u a god from packs point of view even with shit gear;) And true efficient AOE grind starts at that point.

30-33 Improved Cone of Cold 3 points. Just busts the damage of CoC by 35%. In this build you must use this ones after 2-3 Blizzards to kill mobs, since we have 3\3 Imp Blizz our CoC will not overwrite snare of Imp Blizz. Be aware!

34 2\3 Piercing Ice. Just a filler.

35-39 5\5 Shatter. Combine with our Improved CoC and nova. Not bad at all to crit diying mobs.

40 Ice barrier. Just give us a survivability, that's great.

34-35 3/3 Piercing Ice. That filler is a real improvement while shatter is not at all. Crit dying mobs? Geez man, if mobs are dying its really not important if u crit with last coc or ae.

36-39 Now u r theoritically free to choose on yer way to ice barrier which is best talent at all for aoe grind (not only gives survival but also absorb all dmg from debuffs, which fucks up your blizz, like poison from thieves in alterac or ghouls in sorrow hill). Personally, i prefer here 4/5 in Winter's Chill which is a must later anyway and ll be very nice addition when occasionally doing an instance or killing alone elite mob.

PS. Most important thing of all!!

Human female ftw:PxD

Edited by Blackrobe

1 hour ago, Blackrobe said:

9. Where is crit?:P

34-35 3/3 Piercing Ice. That filler is a real improvement while shatter is not at all. Crit dying mobs? Geez man, if mobs are dying its really not important if u crit with last coc or ae.

36-39 Now u r theoritically free to choose on yer way to ice barrier which is best talent at all for aoe grind (not only gives survival but also absorb all dmg from debuffs, which fucks up your blizz, like poison from thieves in alterac or ghouls in sorrow hill). Personally, i prefer here 4/5 in Winter's Chill which is a must later anyway and ll be very nice addition when occasionally doing an instance or killing alone elite mob.

PS. Most important thing of all!!

Human female ftw:PxD

Yeah, i should add crit, thx for add. Piercing ice is a filler to aoe build, because it's affect whole damage of the spell, not current tick. For example, Blizzard (rank 1) deals 200 damage over 8 sec, with tick every second it's 25 dps to every mob. 6% bonus damages provides not a tick, but whole spell damage, that means - 200 * 6/100 = 12, Blizzard will deal 212 damage with this talent, with tick of 26,5 . Seriously 1.5 dps is worth 3 points?) This talent shine only with single target leveling, it's another part of guide.

36-39 Yeah, u can use every talent you want, but should we really crit? The only thing that can crit is CoC or FS\AE, why should we stack winter chill if our Blizzard cant crit?

Nice addition on Ice Barrier though.

10 minutes ago, 1moarsoul said:

Piercing ice is a filler to aoe build, because it's affect whole damage of the spell, not current tick. For example, Blizzard (rank 1) deals 200 damage over 8 sec, with tick every second it's 25 dps to every mob. 6% bonus damages provides not a tick, but whole spell damage, that means - 200 * 6/100 = 12, Blizzard will deal 212 damage with this talent, with tick of 26,5 . Seriously 1.5 dps is worth 3 points?) This talent shine only with single target leveling, it's another part of guide.

36-39 Yeah, u can use every talent you want, but should we really crit? The only thing that can crit is CoC or FS\AE, why should we stack winter chill if our Blizzard cant crit?

Nice addition on Ice Barrier though.

Lol i never said its not a filler. But its still improvement in AOE build while other talents are not at all. As to Winter's Chill i said its my personal choice cause of stated above reasons. Ofc it has nothing to do with AOE build but u must put these 4 talents in sth anyway to reach ice barrier.

On your comparison to fireball and frostbolt you dont take into account the talents though... Fire has ignite and criticall mass which i am sure wins over frostbalt. 

Granted, frostbolt has frostbite and shatter, but still i believe for single target fire is better. Personally i level up as fire until 40 and then respec to frost for aoe.

Btw, i dont remember... Can blizzard proc frostbite? And then crit through shatter?

I was off by a week due to health problems, but I'm gonna complete that guide. Yeah, it was a "raw" comparison, excluding talents. Blizzard can proc frostbite, blizzard can't crit though.

I played and leveled mages for years and I've come to a conclusion that only AoE grinding isn't really that effective in terms of leveling speed. The fastest way to level a mage is to do quests but when you can you should kill packs of mobs with your incredible AoE that is Blizzard (example - Tanaris pirates and bandits). IMO this is why Improved Frostbolt is way too good and ISN'T a filler talent if you're going to do quests as well. Shatter is useless talent compared to other options, especiallly if you're going to level only by AoE grinding and even if you're going to quest as well, it's still bad talent for leveling. When you're "blizzarding" mobs your Shatter talent won't really do anything because in vanilla WoW Blizzard ticks CANNOT crit. When killing mobs one by one Shatter is useless compared to other options because that's only 1 crit and it still doesn't give you 100% chance for it so if it won't "trigger" then that's a complete waste of 5 talents. Keep in mind during leveling you have 5-8% chance to crit AT BEST so 85-90% of your Frostbolts won't crit even if you add Shatter effect to that so you shouldn't count on them AT ALL. When you're killing 1 mob you will use your Frost Nova once so that's 1 crit AT BEST.

This is the build I recommend for questing with killing packs when you can - http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZZVhMIsfzuo.

EDIT. Build at level 60 - http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0V0oZZiAMIsfduo.

Edited by Angren

I'm really looking forward to see this guide being completed. :) Such a nice work, it would be a waste not to finish this. Keep up your good work, sir!