Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sakritan

Rules around the use of VPN

Hi. So, I couldnt find any specifics on this. How exactly will the VPN blocking stuff work? What punishment will we get if we log into Crestfall server with a VPN connection active? Simple disconnect or a ban? I am asking because there is a chance one might simply forget to turn off the VPN before loggin in - Getting perma banned for this would suck pretty hard to say the least. But at the same time I understand you wanting to come down on this stuff to prevent it. Otherwise, since limited connections per IP might be a thing, using VPN to multibox and get around this will be used?

Also. What about the use of the forums under VPN? Right now it works (yes I forgot to turn it off before I logged in here 9_9). Is there a way to block this as well? IP ban wont do much good if people can just jump unto another and continue their ill intended deeds.

Personally, I hope you'll use a system that kicks out everyone using VPN's, everywhere. Not sure how this would work but still. Not with bans though hopefully, mistakes are easily made :P

Cheers!

I'm not 100% on this, maybe @Crogge could answer it better.

My understanding is that VPN connections to the login, realm and worldservers will simply be refused.  You won't be able to connect at all if you're connecting through a VPN.

On 2016-11-20 at 8:19 AM, Darkrasp said:

I'm not 100% on this, maybe @Crogge could answer it better.

My understanding is that VPN connections to the login, realm and worldservers will simply be refused.  You won't be able to connect at all if you're connecting through a VPN.

Sounds good. As of right now I can do this to the forums though. Maybe you are going to apply this to here as well? Hope Crogge will give his input too.

On 20/11/2016 at 7:19 AM, Darkrasp said:

Let's hope the UK government doesn't go chasing people who connect to private WoW servers then.  (though even a cynic like me thinks it's unlikely)

Going to be a shame if they do block VPN's as for some people it might be the only way they can connect to the servers.

26 minutes ago, Talamat said:

Going to be a shame if they do block VPN's as for some people it might be the only way they can connect to the servers.

It'll also be a shame if they don't. Lose lose situation.

Looking at Elysium;

VPN blocks can only be a good thing for Crestfall.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:46 AM, Talamat said:

67379551.jpg

On 11/18/2016 at 2:14 PM, Sakritan said:

Also. What about the use of the forums under VPN? Right now it works (yes I forgot to turn it off before I logged in here 9_9). Is there a way to block this as well? IP ban wont do much good if people can just jump unto another and continue their ill intended deeds.

This. I hadn't thought of it before, but now with the forums being the primary (only?) means of communication, I think this could become an issue. I understand that the forums and the server will be separate entities, but it would be a shame (and a lot of work for the moderators) if people who are displeased by the ban decide to come to our forums to "vent their frustrations."

We are not blocking users to connect to the forums with a VPN as this rule will only apply to our game realms.

There are many, many reasons to block VPN and it's not simply just "chinese goldsellers" or "people circumventing IP bans". It goes a lot deeper than that.

Thanks for the information.  Guess I'll have to stick to playing at home :).

This is probably a super old topic but I'll reply here anyway.

Super disappointed with this. I do understand the needs to block VPN's from a bot/gold selling PoV but it sucks that I'll be unable to play on a server that I've had interest in for a couple of years now.

I've recently moved to China for work, so I assume this means I'll be unable to play, despite being a legitimate player on many different Vanilla realms. Also, it's easy for people to say that it's for the greater good and things like that, but I guarantee if it was any of you being blocked you wouldn't be too happy about it :P

On 4/25/2017 at 8:34 PM, Busho said:

Super disappointed with this. I do understand the needs to block VPN's from a bot/gold selling PoV but it sucks that I'll be unable to play on a server that I've had interest in for a couple of years now.

I've recently moved to China for work, so I assume this means I'll be unable to play, despite being a legitimate player on many different Vanilla realms. Also, it's easy for people to say that it's for the greater good and things like that, but I guarantee if it was any of you being blocked you wouldn't be too happy about it :P

Are VPNs the only way to play WoW in China?

On 4/26/2017 at 4:34 AM, Busho said:

We are looking at having an application process for whitelisting certain VPN connections.

I'm not sure exactly how the process works (it's way over my technical level of knowledge) but there is some discussion about allowing "legitimate" Chinese guilds to apply to play.

This post is not confirming that this will happen, just that it is a possibility that will be decided upon once we see what the staff levels of our Chinese GM team might look at, as well as other considerations that the admin team must make. Crogge and Asura will update fully on the VPN rules and 2 accounts per IP rules closer to release.