Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clavus

The Idea of a Melee Warlock

I've always loved that even though in Vanilla some specs are not as "viable" as others, everything is possible. Now I'm not a warlock player myself, so I might be wrong in many aspects. I do know that though that warlocks are preatty easy to level, so I decided to make it a bit harder for myself.

The idea is a melee warlock with a strong pet. Might sound like a roleplay thing, but the thought really fascinates me. To compensate I'll focus more on smaller buffs I can use.

Let me go into more detail. The talent goal is the following: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#IZbgzhxxMxZVxMz

I plan to use a Succubus. Heard that they are quite strong. 

I also plan to use a Firestone along a good melee weapon which I want to pimp with:

• Shadow Oil (from level 24)
  • Different Sharpening Stones

Plus having it always enchanted. Fiery Weapon would be the best, but I have no clue how much it costs so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it on lower levels.

For spells:

• Shadowburn - as an execute kind of a spell
  • Immolate - since I'm pretty fiery with the Firestone and the quick cast talent needed to go down the Destruction tree.
  • maybe Curse of Agony, since that's instant from the get go, but I don't know yet, it's meh

I mostly want to rely on my melee and my pet. I even thought of making my pet's abilites mine by creating macros, so I can fully take control and conserve resources. I'm not sure about that yet.

Not decided on professions yet either.

I want to be either and Engineer (with Mining) for a variety of bombs and neat tools or an Enchanter. The only problem with the second is that I don't want Tailoring since I want to max First Aid. Still debating.

Now this is where the actualy question comes. I seek your knowledge, Warlocks. I have no clue how I should get to the desired talent tree (I'm open to changes as long as it follows the basic idea). Which path would be the most optianal with the least amount of re-specs? I don't mind a few.

As I want to go down a bit in the Destruction tree for Improved Lash of Pain and Shadowburn anyways, would it be worth to start there and get the intial bonuses on Shadow Bolt? I don't think I'll be able to play melee until like mid 20s. So where should I put my first talent points?

Or should I start in Demonology and get the pet damage boosts asap? I feel like atleast by level 29 I should be Demo specced for Unholy Power.

(I won't start in affliction even though I would respec later, that's too far from my philosophy)

Thanks for reading, please don't crush my dreams! (I'll try it anyway)

-Clavus

Edited by Clavus

Hi Clavus,

on my experience of playing warlock i fear you will become frustrated with this kind of playstyle.

The issue i see is the pet - the succubus. You have to know the suc. Has very very very low hp! 

she is designed to not tank. If she has aggro, she will die in a few swings. Here comes the pain: if u aim for meele damage your dps will be quite lower than hers. Even when you pull with dots ( i would recommend to pick up corruption no matter which spec you'r runnin) you wont build aggro, cause the mob will be in meele range (only 110% on aggro swap) so the succubus will do a whitehit + leash of pain and have instant aggro. She will die 4 secs later. 1 soulshard lost each time + downtime after each fight she dies = topfrustration and rage quit inc.

btw: the fiery weapon enchant dropps in brd so very lately. So, if your lock will be your main you will level without it when server starts.

Furthermore curse of agony is "building" its damage. It starts low and gets higher. = nearly zero aggro gain at the start.

Next thing: soullink. Even if you could handle the aggro issue, your succu will die because of soullink. Again, she has very very very low hp. If you can kill a mob fast enough you will have to heal her to full hp. So i would recommend to pick up improved health funnel in the talent tree.

I think your playstyle will result in an aggro ping pong - you dont want to have the succubus tanking,  so you will aim for being target #1. the only way to achiev this will be by casting searing pain. But this style will be suiting more into a destro specc than a demo one. 

My advice: go for the standard soullink spec, run around with your blue friend (he has taunt, bubble, high hp and gives you and him the -10% meele dmg buff over the -30% soullink). You can try to get some points for your firestones, but not for the sacrifice of 5/5 corruption or shadow burn.

When Voidy is tanking you can meelee on the mob.

you choose gear with stam and defense on it, mixxed with some + firedmg clothies. Maybe CoE will be better for you because of the fire dmg but this is personal preference.

Edited by Topkek

Thanks alot, @Topkek !

I really really REALLY don't want to use a void. So sticking with the succubus I see I need to build more agro. Also I adjusted the talent tree. Removed Soul Link and it's requirement talent, picked up Imp. Health Funnel and Fel Stamina instead of Fel Intellect.

This won't be my first character, but I won't help this one with my main in any ways.

From what you said to me it seems agro is the problem. Without Soul Link I should be fine if the mob is hitting me. So how do I get more agro? Is Searing Pain the only way? How many of those do I need? I can delay the succubus' attacks and make it wait for the initial casts and a weapon swing for an instance. I will most likely be an Engineer so I'll have bombs to help me.

I don't really know about Corruption. I don't really like that it requires 5 points. Delays the goal so much.

Thanks again

Okay I think I understand your point. 

Here's what I would do:

Pull with Immolate, throw all possible dots on the mob and start auto attacking with meele. 

When the mob is at your feed start dps with succu. She has a feint abillitie - normally I dont buy those kind of books for leveling - I would advice you should do.

if she crits and/or pull aggro use searing pain as a taunt abbility, till the mob hits you again.

I think this could work. The main issue I see is the dmg you gain from mobs. You should totally focus on stamina, defense, armor after this go for int. 

Fiery weapon is very expensive (when leveling) - I dont know actually but I have the feeling that Lifestealing is a cheaper enchant.(dont blame me if not) 

I would go for lifestealing anyway. Nearly same proccrate like fiery weapon but the dmg dealt is transferred to you. So win win. Moreover it is the most aggro building enchant ingame (aggro on dmg and aggro gain on heal) thats why warriors use it on daggers in aggro intensive fights like lashlayer f.e.

So basically, it can work yes. But go for cooking - you will have some downtimes :)

Edit: something like this: 

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#IZbgzhxxMxZVxMtM0z

(if u dont like corruption)

Edited by Topkek

Wow thanks! I feel ready!

Okay I'll consider lifestealing. I was debating before I made the original post but opted for Fiery Weapon because of fire damage and I read it procs very often. Doesn't really matter though, heals are nice, agro even more perhaps.

I'm not afraid of taking lots of damage and having downtimes. My main will be a warrior once again so I'm used to eating a lot. I wasn't the best warrior in town when I first rolled, so I remember eating after every pull :D That's also why I want to have First Aid and no tailoring. This "challenge" should be amazing, atleast for me. I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, good to know Succubi have feint!

Thanks alot fot your help, really appreciate it! :)

Edited by Clavus

You're welcome bro.

I dont know if the firedmg from fiery weapon procc scales with +dmg or the firestones ... If so it could be the better choice - but that comes to playstyle. 

I would go with the first 5 points into demonic embrace. After this it comes again to your playstyle. Destro will push your personal dmg (and aggro) while Demo will increase your succi. Because you are not aiming for a special abillity on the end of a talent tree you are free to walk wherever you want. 

Engi will be fun with stun grenates although you can optain the right ones very lately (iron grenades). But you have those nice googles that increases your health pool.

For your early game alchemy will be good too. you have nice heal pots and armor elixiers - they will help and support your playstyle even better i guess.

please make a video of you! I am interested in how it works (:

The one and only reason behind me not wanting Alchemy is that my main warrior will be alch/herb for old times sake. And I don't feel like levelling it twice. So even though it could be good, I'm not doing it again. Also I can get those potions from the AH if I can make enough money. The free horse comes in handy :D

I don't know yet when I want to go melee. I don't think it could work from the beginning, maybe. I just know that by level 24 I for sure will be melee (Shadow Oil available with many other spells). Perhaps a bit earlier, still undecided.

I might take Corruption in my 50s, I just don't want to use talent points on it earlier. Maybe I will take it, maybe I won't.

I'm a slow leveler myself, so it'll take time for me to level my warrior and then the warlock, but I'll get some footage of the different levels to share :)

Edited by Clavus

I'm almost certain that sharpening stones will not stack with shadow oil since both are applied to weapon.