Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elicas

AQ opening event

43 posts in this topic

Do you plan on running the AQ event in the full blizzlike way, or the standard Pserver way?

As I understand the blizzlike version, each week after the first 4 resets the war supplies would fill by approximately 23.3% per week, on top of what players actually handed in.

On most P servers, this is disable, mostly because the devs haven't finished scripting AQ and want to drag things out. This enables the bigger guilds to drag out the war effort in order to maximise the number of Black Qiraji mounts they can get.

Will you be enabling the "auto-supply" mechanic?

The war effort auto-complete, starting 30 days after the war effort is triggered and completing in no more than 30 days after that (if I remember the numbers correctly right now), has been in since AQ launched. It's not something new, nor something we activate manually. It's part of the game system for opening the gates, and always has been. 
-Thundgot (Blue post)

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/1/8464977020-aqgates-blizzard-slap-in-the-face-.html

Edited by Elicas

7 minutes ago, Elicas said:

to maximise the number of Black Qiraji mounts they can get

Like if that was a bad thing. As long as I'm server first, I don't care if there's only few of them.

I wouldnt mind the AQ event being dragged out a bit, but 5% a week is not that much I guess.. Also depends on our population once that time comes. The PVE server might ('might') be below 1k, and in that case I think this should be scripted.

Just now, Xaverius said:

Like if that was a bad thing. As long as I'm server first, I don't care if there's only few of them.

It can be a bad thing.

Taking the most recent release example, which is Kronos 1, they took approximately 5 months to open AQ after the war effort started.

It was launched on March 6th, it was completed and the gong rung on August 13th. That's 163 days to complete an event that should last approximately 60 days. It was effectively delayed by the largest guilds by them targeting and farming the herbs and mines required for the war effort, and sitting on the supplies refusing to hand them in, effectively preventing the rest of the server from completing the war effort. This was significantly aided by the use of dozens of players multiboxing. Wont be such an issue here due to the hard account limit of 2, but it could still significantly be an issue. Especially if this becomes the go to server next year, and has all the big guilds here.

3 minutes ago, Sakritan said:

I wouldnt mind the AQ event being dragged out a bit, but 5% a week is not that much I guess.. Also depends on our population once that time comes. The PVE server might ('might') be below 1k, and in that case I think this should be scripted.

5% a week was actually a gross under estimation. According to the blue post I linked and doing the math, if the auto complete should take no more than 30 days, it should approximately fill 3.3% supplies per day, or 23.3% per week.

Agree with Elicas it should stay the way it was originally implemented. I doubt it was Blizzards intent to have multiple people smack the gong anyway, although possible by people who put in the work and effort. The War Effort itself isn't even the fun part, but the actual event following the opening of the gates. The point of the effort itself is to come together as a server to overcome the Qiraji, not delay the inevitable for personal gain. Just my two cents and feel free to argue against it.

Regards,

Statin

Edited by Statin
Grammatical and Spelling Error

Crestfall is PTE.

No way in hell will CF sit around, wait and watch a couple of rotten community members try to delay AQ by half a year.

From what I remember, I thought the auto-complete was put in at a later date on the newer servers on retail, but I could be wrong.

I would rather it be drawn out a bit more myself. I wouldn't want it to be 4-6 months or anything, but I know it would be nice for some of the smaller guilds are later starters. It it also one of the greatest events to most in Vanilla WoW. World PvP Haven lol

9 minutes ago, Knetik said:

From what I remember, I thought the auto-complete was put in at a later date on the newer servers on retail, but I could be wrong.

According to the blue post in the OP, it was there since day 1.

56 minutes ago, Elicas said:

It can be a bad thing.

Taking the most recent release example, which is Kronos 1, they took approximately 5 months to open AQ after the war effort started.

It was launched on March 6th, it was completed and the gong rung on August 13th. That's 163 days to complete an event that should last approximately 60 days. It was effectively delayed by the largest guilds by them targeting and farming the herbs and mines required for the war effort, and sitting on the supplies refusing to hand them in, effectively preventing the rest of the server from completing the war effort. This was significantly aided by the use of dozens of players multiboxing. Wont be such an issue here due to the hard account limit of 2, but it could still significantly be an issue. Especially if this becomes the go to server next year, and has all the big guilds here.

5% a week was actually a gross under estimation. According to the blue post I linked and doing the math, if the auto complete should take no more than 30 days, it should approximately fill 3.3% supplies per day, or 23.3% per week.

I think I overestimated your sarcasm detection abilities.

Obviously it is a problem, but for a random half-casual player, the more scarabs, the higher chance to get one so why care, right. Just suck onto a guild. And then conversely, when you're one of the powerhosues that are coordinating the farming, what do you care about if there's many or little, as you are aiming to be at the top anyway.

On a serious note though, I could use a realm first scarab.

48 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

I think I overestimated your sarcasm detection abilities.

Obviously it is a problem, but for a random half-casual player, the more scarabs, the higher chance to get one so why care, right. Just suck onto a guild. And then conversely, when you're one of the powerhosues that are coordinating the farming, what do you care about if there's many or little, as you are aiming to be at the top anyway.

On a serious note though, I could use a realm first scarab.

How would one detect sarcasm in a post from a random person on the internet? For all one knows every person on the internet is an idiot.

In real life you can use the tone and structure of your voice to indicate sarcasm. Personality is also a big factor when it comes to sarcasm. None of this exists in a post on the internet.

Pro tip: Don't use sarcasm when posting on the great interwebs!

Edited by Gurgel

just unlock the scepter quest after war effort supplies have been completed.

problem solved.

:P

2 hours ago, Elicas said:

Surely we can find a middle ground between 30 days and half a year though. I wouldnt mind it being two months, half a year absolutely not!

16 minutes ago, imbaslap said:

just unlock the scepter quest after war effort supplies have been completed.

problem solved.

:P

Wont that result in most of us not getting to do much of it at all before it opens? Some hardcore group will just rush the quest ASAP the second it unlocks. Not sure if you where serious or not but, I think we should let people progress with the quest when War effort starts. Then more casuals like me can also have it done when effort is complete :)

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

How would one detect sarcasm in a post from a random person on the internet? For all one knows every person on the internet is an idiot.

In real life you can use the tone and structure of your voice to indicate sarcasm. Personality is also a big factor when it comes to sarcasm. None of this exists in a post on the internet.

Point of advice: Never take Xaverius seriously :D Sarcasm is sorta his thing i've come to learn ;P 

Edited by Sakritan

I would be fine with just War Effort lasting about 2 months like it was on Retail, first month of war effort starting and the second month is when auto-complete function begins so technically the War Effort shouldn't take more than 2 months.
But lets see what the devs decide !

Interesting find!  I don't recall the War Effort completing that quickly (or slowly) on retail.. I recall a serious war in BRM between the top raiding guilds trying to prevent each other from getting the Red Scepter Shard that I'm pretty sure dragged on for at least a couple weeks (back then, it was still common practice to use the BRS fire resistance buff for Vael, even for top guilds, and everyone knew when the other guilds' scheduled raid times were [the old hardware was so bad we had to take turns doing Vael pulls, more than two guild pulling Vael at the same time lagged the realm so bad everyone would wipe]).  The war took place on the balcony with raids (and even unaffiliated players getting paid in gold by the top guilds) murdering anyone who zoned out of BRS.  It ended when the horde guild all logged on at 3am and did a quick BWL run in the middle of the night when nobody was around to stop them.  ;)

It's certainly possible though.  The War Effort was over only a couple days after the first two people (one on each faction) got their Scepters.  There was another very short-lived war over possession of the Gong, which more or less ended because the server kept crashing when a few thousand people piled into Silithus on those clunky, original-hardware realms.

Having a slow auto-fill was something I was considering before I knew it was an actual thing on retail, so this is a no-brainer for me.  I agree that a 3.3% per day pace is perhaps a little steep, but I could see a 2%, maybe 2.5%, per day auto-completion as being reasonable.  The rewards should be unique and rare, and as was stated so eloquently:

3 hours ago, RipTonight said:

Crestfall is PTE.

No way in hell will CF sit around, wait and watch a couple of rotten community members try to delay AQ by half a year.

Edited by Darkrasp
spelling

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

He knows me enough from the forum.

Sounds fair to me. The sooner we all can squash bugs, the better. Time to finish my work day by listening to Silithus Night/Day music.

Edited by Statin

Assuming I get The Filthy Casuals together an early aim is to start hording for the War Effort. 

We won't be found lacking on the Horde side.

If the pink-fleshy crybabies of the Alliance are found wanting we'll use the neutral AH to sort them out if we have to.

(assuming this is all possible, legal and won't be frowned upon)

Blizzlike would probably be best.  A lot of servers die with the AQ Event it seems, either because the event itself drags out forever and stagnates the place (either because a few guilds want it that way or the devs are having trouble with what comes next) or because AQ itself ends up being anticlimactically faceroll and people lose interest and quit.  I'm not worried about that here because the vanilla content here will be more or less prefabricated and merely awaiting the right time to be released, as determined by player progress/demand and dev discretion.  Getting that event 100% right would likely be a huge population boost if one was needed at that stage because so many others have gotten it wrong, and word travels.  2-3 months seems like a pretty good window for the war effort.  6 would be great for a filthy casual like me but detrimental to the health of the project.  So if the game itself adds a few extra stacks of bug spray and fly swatters to the effort to help things along, all good.  Kind of a shame that goblin engineering doesn't offer a bug bomb now that I think of it. 

I actually have a question about the event, since I've never actually seen the gates open.  When the elites come flooding out to serve as loot pinatas, and Saurfang is kicking ass, how long does that element of the script last?  A few minutes, a few hours, a couple days?  I really want to take part in one of these but if the window for the event is small (I'm less concerned with seeing the gate open than I am with watching the event that comes after) then I'll need to plan for that.

2 hours ago, Outstanding said:

The Filthy Casuals

Amusing guild name.

6 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Interesting find!  I don't recall the War Effort completing that quickly (or slowly) on retail.. I recall a serious war in BRM between the top raiding guilds trying to prevent each other from getting the Red Scepter Shard that I'm pretty sure dragged on for at least a couple weeks (back then, it was still common practice to use the BRS fire resistance buff for Vael, even for top guilds, and everyone knew when the other guilds' scheduled raid times were [the old hardware was so bad we had to take turns doing Vael pulls, more than two guild pulling Vael at the same time lagged the realm so bad everyone would wipe]).  The war took place on the balcony with raids (and even unaffiliated players getting paid in gold by the top guilds) murdering anyone who zoned out of BRS.  It ended when the horde guild all logged on at 3am and did a quick BWL run in the middle of the night when nobody was around to stop them.  ;)

It's certainly possible though.  The War Effort was over only a couple days after the first two people (one on each faction) got their Scepters.  There was another very short-lived war over possession of the Gong, which more or less ended because the server kept crashing when a few thousand people piled into Silithus on those clunky, original-hardware realms.

Having a slow auto-fill was something I was considering before I knew it was an actual thing on retail, so this is a no-brainer for me.  I agree that a 3.3% per day pace is perhaps a little steep, but I could see a 2%, maybe 2.5%, per day auto-completion as being reasonable.  The rewards should be unique and rare, and as was stated so eloquently:

Original blue post is inconclusive evidence. http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/7874-aq-gates-slap-in-the-face-/

It's from 2009, Blue poster comes back with this after challenged

Hm, maybe it was added slightly later. Anyway, that's beside the point, which is that this isn't something done specifically and deliberately for the realms mentioned in the first post, but part of the regular game system.

He's replying from memory in the first instance and when challenged he goes back on it. He also just verifies that there is some insurance that once the event starts it will eventually complete but nothing about the rate.

The original question seems to be if some specific realms had special handling, which he dispels by saying "isn't something done specifically for the realms mentioned, but part of the regular game system".

I was in a somewhat backwater server in classic I'll try to find info from screenshots and such if War Effort was indeed capped at 60 days. (30 days of un-assisted war effort for the auto-complete mechanic to kick in and 30 more for it to do it's work)

Edited by Roadblock
link

3 hours ago, Humperdink said:

I actually have a question about the event, since I've never actually seen the gates open.  When the elites come flooding out to serve as loot pinatas, and Saurfang is kicking ass, how long does that element of the script last?  A few minutes, a few hours, a couple days?  I really want to take part in one of these but if the window for the event is small (I'm less concerned with seeing the gate open than I am with watching the event that comes after) then I'll need to plan for that.

It was actually referred to at the time as the "Ten Hour War".  I think that probably answers your question.  :D

Ok, I'm pretty sure there was no 60days forced completion in vanilla.

to gather war supplies for the combined army of the two nations. This stage of the gate opening can easily last several (real-time) months due to the number of supplies that must be gathered

http://wow.gamepedia.com/index.php?title=Gates_of_Ahn'Qiraj&oldid=395560

This stage of the gate opening can easily last several (real-time) months

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Gates_of_Ahn'Qiraj?oldid=362156

Corroborating evidence:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071105032846/http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/events/wareffort/servers.html

Several first gen servers completing the event as late as 28/Feb/2006. Patch 1.9.0 = 3/Jan/2006. That's already very near the 60 days mark.

A bunch of others are at various stages of completion at that time: http://web.archive.org/web/20060221050111/http://wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/events/wareffort/servers.html

I don't see anything that suggests there was an auto-completion mechanic in classic. At least not one that concludes in 60 days.

Edited by Roadblock

6 hours ago, Humperdink said:

I actually have a question about the event, since I've never actually seen the gates open.  When the elites come flooding out to serve as loot pinatas, and Saurfang is kicking ass, how long does that element of the script last?

Once all the necessary war supplies have been gathered, the combined forces of the Alliance and the Horde will begin transporting NPCs, equipment and supplies to Silithus. Five days must pass while the supplies are sent by zeppelin (this cannot actually be seen occurring); as the days pass, the stockpiles of supplies that had been accumulating slowly diminish until everything is in place, at which point the holder of the Scepter can ring the mighty gong to cause the Scarab Wall to open. This will cause a ten-hour-long continent-wide event to begin, preceded by a global message to everyone on the server stating, "<Name of Scarab Lord>, Champion of the Bronze Dragonflight, has rung the Scarab Gong. The ancient gates of Ahn'Qiraj open, revealing the horrors of a forgotten war...".

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Gates_of_Ahn'Qiraj

On 22/11/2016 at 6:15 AM, Roadblock said:

Ok, I'm pretty sure there was no 60days forced completion in vanilla.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/index.php?title=Gates_of_Ahn'Qiraj&oldid=395560

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Gates_of_Ahn'Qiraj?oldid=362156

Corroborating evidence:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071105032846/http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/events/wareffort/servers.html

Several first gen servers completing the event as late as 28/Feb/2006. Patch 1.9.0 = 3/Jan/2006. That's already very near the 60 days mark.

A bunch of others are at various stages of completion at that time: http://web.archive.org/web/20060221050111/http://wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/events/wareffort/servers.html

I don't see anything that suggests there was an auto-completion mechanic in classic. At least not one that concludes in 60 days.

And you are wrong, i was there 12 years ago, on a realm who benefited from this feature.

There is no way a realm so low pop like Garithos could finish the war effort:

On february 8th, they were at 28% -> https://web.archive.org/web/20060207085456/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wareffort/servers.html

1 month later it's completed on ALL realms -> https://web.archive.org/web/20060315200625/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wareffort/servers.html

All servers even the dead one with no raiding guild got autocomplete except the newly created in january 06 which were a bit delayed. Some servers opened the server later because they had no guild to complete the chain quest.

More proof : http://wow.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=21&mid=1138955506260125062

Thanks for making this event blizzlike and not the bullshit private server are pulling currently.

Edited by Arwy