Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DKPminus

Progression question

Hey Crestfall team, congrats on the new forums! Just had a question about something you'd mentioned previously:

For progression, our realms will all follow the normal timeline. After Naxxramas has been cleared for some time, that realm will turn into a TBC realm, and a new vanilla server will open. This way people can relive the true progression experience while enjoying their favorite versions.

Can you clarify that, it sounds as if I made a character and played it to 60, once you progress to TBC I'd have to make a brand new character on this new realm to keep playing Vanilla content?

9 minutes ago, DKPminus said:

Can you clarify that, it sounds as if I made a character and played it to 60, once you progress to TBC I'd have to make a brand new character on this new realm to keep playing Vanilla content?

Pretty sure they said they would allow the copy of your character to the TBC realm, might be wrong though.

Derp, misread it. That realm will be upgraded to a TBC one. I doubt you'll have to make a new character.

Edited by Rawzen

They said they don't know yet how exactly it'll be handled. But one progressive realm should just progress through all the expansions. So if you'd like to stay in vanilla, they will probably have a character transition for you to this "Vanilla forever" server. They also might start another vanilla progressive, which should go the same way..

Okay, maybe not a vanilla forever server, but rather all progressive. But that indeed depends on the community and the starry future. They might do a PvE server as well.
(Can't do an edit, so doubleposting seemed like a solution.)

We have made no final decision regarding this matter yet, it is important for us to hear the opinion of our community first. If the majority would prefer to stay on vanilla then we will gladly do so and start the TBC realm as an extra realm with a full transfer option. If the majority prefers TBC then we will convert the realm entirely and open at the same time a new vanilla one. Also different expansions will have basic cross-realm features, for example sending a whisper message to a realm based on another expansion will be supported from the start (Of course only in Blizzlike ways).

It is also important to know that a 2nd realm can split the population, this can be fatal if the community isn't big enough. But hey, we plan to get big hence this won't be a problem :)

Alternate suggestions are welcome.

This topic greatly interests me, as I'm exclusively interested in Vanilla. I think there will be plenty of time to work out the details. ;)

Tough question on how to best deal with it.  I'll throw this out there:

1. Once you're ready for TBC, have a complete character copy to a TBC realm, while maintaining the Vanilla realm.  This allows people to reserve all their character names, even if they are not ready to play TBC yet.

2. Allow post-copy transfers to TBC, which will overwrite the TBC character (in case someone wanted to keep playing Vanilla for awhile more, add levels etc).  Only the character and equipped gear would move over.

3. I'd keep the Naxx Vanilla realm running until such point in time as it gets stale.  I would then close it and then start up a fresh Vanilla. Maybe you allow people to transfer their old Vanilla toons to the new server but without any items/gold (naked characters, but with their rep/professions) or maybe it's just a complete fresh reboot.  

I'm really looking forward to the idea of re-releasing WoW and its expansions. I started playing retail only in wotlk (wrath baby, yeah) so it's gonna be one awesome journey. I just hope this doesn't get shut down, like, right before AQ, that would be ridiculous (hmm sounds familiar though)

I for one would like to start the realm in the year dot or 1.1.2 which was the first retail release I believe.

It would be very cool to come on the forums after the latest patch release and bitch about the nerfing, brings back happy memories.

I'm not sure how many people would hang around at a frozen end game Vanilla with TBC as a option on progression. I do feel that the pop would need to be very high to make it sustainable

I know that I enjoyed TBC most of all and consider Karazhan as the apogee of my personal journey through WoW. I'd would like to do that again if possible. 

I'm more into the Idea of the following. A progression "server" rather than a realm.

Releasing a new realm on next expansion, with possible copy, not transfer. For one reason, people love to play some stuff of every expansion, and you guys would be a major hit if you allowed people to do so.

And leave the vanilla, tbc at that stage. Then if community requests so, creating a second realm at vanilla to begin progression again, or something.

Those are my thoughts.

Have the realms run in Seasons. And reset the realms.

Its about the journey with friends.

I think it would be nice that you can progress your character on that one server and when a vanilla 'frozen in time' server comes up your character will also be there, stuck at level 60 and you can do your vanilla stuff there.

So, basically, after every expansion there will be a clone of your character at that maximum expansion level. One server to progress with and the other servers have a version of your character at that maximum level.

From the FAQ that was recently posted:

Q.  How are you going to handle progressing from Vanilla to TBC?  And how far are you going to go?

A.  This is kind of putting the cart before the horse, since we haven't even launched Vanilla yet, but we've stated that this is going to be a progressive realm so the question comes up.  We have not completely decided on how exactly it happens.  We understand that some players will want to remain in their particular expansion of choice along the way, and we will figure out a way to accommodate this.  Our current expectation is that the main realm will transition to a TBC realm, but prior to that we will create a new Vanilla realm and copy the account and character databases to it.  If you choose to stay with Vanilla, your character will be waiting for you there.  Players in this case will be able to transfer characters (one-way) from the Vanilla Realm to the TBC realm to preserve an authentic levelling experience if they so choose.  This plan is subject to change based on population numbers, community input, and our own devious machinations.  When it comes to how far we're going, demand for legacy content drops off after Wrath of the Lich King, but a lot can change in a couple years.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I think that progressive Realm is great. But you have to consider that a lot of players actually like the chance to be "capped" and keep that position. For example, if I own a full grand marshal / full tier 2 character on a nice (like Crestfall!!! ;) ) Vanilla server, id honestly not even think about TBC or other expansions, and I'd be pissed if I was forced to move to a different expansion.

So, after all, I'd say that the main server may upgrade to tbc > wotlk > cata > mop > wod > legion (I'm sure crestfall will last so long!!!) , but then you should open a "forever vanilla" server, where everyone who just wants Vanilla contents can play 4 ever :)

8 hours ago, AdeKingDeath said:

I think that progressive Realm is great. But you have to consider that a lot of players actually like the chance to be "capped" and keep that position. For example, if I own a full grand marshal / full tier 2 character on a nice (like Crestfall!!! ;) ) Vanilla server, id honestly not even think about TBC or other expansions, and I'd be pissed if I was forced to move to a different expansion.

So, after all, I'd say that the main server may upgrade to tbc > wotlk > cata > mop > wod > legion (I'm sure crestfall will last so long!!!) , but then you should open a "forever vanilla" server, where everyone who just wants Vanilla contents can play 4 ever :)

That's probably the least sustainable option.

We'd have;

Server 1, progress through Vanilla, release new Vanilla realm and progress to TBC, release new TBC realm progress to WotLK, release new WotLK realm and progress to Cata, release new Cata realm and progress to Pandaria. We'll stop there since people interest in post Cata expansions is significantly smaller than the rest.

This would leave the team running, fixing and GMing;

1 Progression server.
1 Forever Vanilla
1 Forever TBC
1 Forever WotLK
1 Forever Cata
With the possibility of people agitating for a fresh start if they missed the initial 'buy in' of Vanilla, so possibly even another Vanilla progression realm.

It is not cheap to run rentals on 5/6 servers at once, add to that a GM team for each server, a lead dev for each server, coordinated PR between the 'Crestfall' brand, it's a nightmare waiting to happen.

On 17/4/2016 at 0:57 AM, Zeed said:

I'm more into the Idea of the following. A progression "server" rather than a realm.

Releasing a new realm on next expansion, with possible copy, not transfer. For one reason, people love to play some stuff of every expansion, and you guys would be a major hit if you allowed people to do so.

And leave the vanilla, tbc at that stage. Then if community requests so, creating a second realm at vanilla to begin progression again, or something.

I'm agree, i prefer a copy past than a cut / past. This idea has brought a lot of people in Nostalrius.

Nostalrius FAQ :

What's next once all the content will be cleared
A new TBC server will be opened after some months by the community we depend on. This new realm will be completely independent from Nostalrius Begins, that will continue to be supported. Additionnaly, the Nostalrius players will have the possibility to copy any character to the Burning Crusade realm. Once again, Nostalrius Begins will always stay online, and will always have its own dedicated staff.