Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobthebomb

Levelling in Kalimdor

So, a new server and and a pledge to do things differently. Instead of my usual altitis, I will pick one toon and progress him to 60 before I start an alt (bank alt excepted ofc).

Now, I plan to run a DPS druid so I'm thinking "Why not make the whole experience new and level him in Kalimdor?" Apart from my very first character (late vanilla) I have mostly run human/dwarf/Gnome and always levelled in the human zone as it appeared to be the easiest. Even my druids have moved once I aquired bear form. As a test I started a new character on Kronos and .... OMG! Are there two more difficult/boring zones to level in than Darkshore and Ashenvale? I mean quests are miles apart, there are hills blocking every route, it takes forever and you always have rabies!

Am I really destined for Westfall, Redridge and Duskwood again? Can anyone offer me hope? ;) 

If you're rolling alliance, it will be tricky to level solely in Kalimdor. It's definitely the Horde continent. Since you don't have access to quests in The Barrens and quests in other zones (Stonetalon, 1k needles) are limited, you'd have to grind a lot of mobs. Past level 30, it's better, but the higher your level, the more zones you have to visit if you want to level by questing. Most players hop between continents past 40 unless they're relying on grinding. 

Kalimdor is more grim looking, it's true. And a lot of zones are a weird shape and mountainous to a fault. Still, I love Feralas and Un'Goro, and Winterspring is my go to place for the last few levels. 

My advice would be to mix it up more than you previously have, to keep your interest piqued. But I would not recommend leveling entirely on any one continent :)

I nearly managed to level Eastern Kingdoms only on horde...the only thing I added was Ashenvale/Azshara (together with all the instance quests).  Kalimdor only is do-able until mid-50's (Nost shutdown prevented me from finishing though) before the inevitable EPL fest.

For alliance I'd imagine a similar thing...for Kalimdor you'd probably need one or two of the EK zones at some point (together with all the instance quests).

(don't forget about the neutral quests in the Barrens/Stonetalon/Thousand Needles though, and the RFK chain that starts by the great lift. Use the zone maps on db.vanillagaming.org to find all the quests if you're serious about doing mostly-one-continent, as I did)

Edited by Momonn

Eh, eventually quests in certain zones of either continent will send you to the opposite of wherever you happen to be. I leveled my NElf hunter in Kailmdor only from 1 to 35, with constant back and forth fetch quests that sent me to IF/SW or Booty Bay. I tried to stick to Kalimdor as much as possible though, only veering off path for STV to get me through the 35-45 hill. Eventually though, I found I had to go back and forth between zones on each continent to get through a level block when I finished all the possible quests in one zone. This primarily happened to me when I was in WPL and EPL. But doing instances in between should help even the amount of traveling you do. But I agree with Yavannie - definitely try to switch it up if you can or level with a friend - it won't get so monotonous:) 

13 hours ago, Bobthebomb said:

Are there two more difficult/boring zones to level in than Darkshore and Ashenvale?

Personally I hate Teldrassil (so many quests sending you to places only to send you there again after you return!) and Westfall with burning passion. At least Westfall is easy.
The elven zones are designed with a different philosophy in mind. Much less linear and much more based on travel and exploration and generally enjoying the zone. You are supposed to take it easy and not hurry anywhere. Take your time. All shall come to pass in the appointed time. Shan'do Stormrage understood that.

Same with lvl 40-50 zones, Feralas/Tanaris, partially/Hinterlands and some of the longer quest chains like Linken. They send you all over the world between them.

My self-imposed challenge right now is to not go feral. At all. No bear form, no feral spells. Keep spellbook clean with only balance and resto tabs, and have no form until owl form and crow.

Edited by Xaverius

Hmm, thanks for the replies, seems like I am in for a struggle if I go the Kalimdor route.

I was mostly concerned with how difficult (slow) the Darkshore/Ashenvale zones but it seems I am going to be struggling mid term as well.

Still, nothing ventured ;) 

I am working on a quest sheet to maximise my efficiency in the early zones, so at least I can keep pace when the server starts. Maybe I should ditch my herb/alc professions and go skinning/LW given the number of critters I am going to have to kill :D 

Thanks again for the replies.

I think the biggest problem is, that you will be running out of quests in the early levels.

1-10 Teldrassil

10-20 Darkshore

15-27 Stone Talon (not many Alliance quests)

18-30 Ashenvale

25-35 1k Needles (not many Alliance quests)

Desolace will come at 30 off course and there is BFD Instance at 26+

Eastern Kingdoms

10-20 Westfall & Loch Modan

15-25 Redridge Mountains

18-30 Duskwood

20-30 Wetlands & Hillsbrad

@30 you can adventure to Alterac, Arathi & STV

plus you get Deadmines, Stockade, Shadowfang Keep on your journey.

You're not out of luck, just level in those areas along side it.

I'm a slower paced completionist who intends on doing every q in every zone. (lol fun right?)

10 - 20 I did 1st half of Darkshore > 1st half of Loch Modan > 2nd half of Darkshore > 2nd half of Loch Modan.

You can repeat this for a number of zones, lots of quests will be green the higher you go ofc, but the rarely went grey before I did 'em.