Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulzek

Worried about Nost 2? Just remember...

37 posts in this topic

... like everybody else, they aren't opening a fresh PvE. That feature will remain an exclusive to Crestfall still which is very good. Also, like everybody else, they aren't planning for the future. That means Vanilla and done, again, unlike Crestfall.

It'll be a wonderful time passer but I think it's clear which team holds the end game in their grasp.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not worried, even for the PVP servers. There's plenty of players around to fill up more than 1 private server and I'm sure if Crestfall proves itself to be a great server with some unique features like they've proposed already, people will find their way here.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´m not worried. i am pretty sure here is where quality will be and there are plenty of players and 4+K is enough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree there really isn't anything to worry about. Of course there will be those who are hyped to return to their characters over on Nost, but I'm still not sold on how the community on those servers will be sustained long term. I myself raided there and have no desire to return. Add to that the points of Crestfall offering a fresh start for PVE, and offering progressive content - there is plenty of the user base that will be looking for this at Crestfall.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as there's a few thousand people on CF, I couldn't care less about Nostalrius tbh. Nostalrius will probably get more players, since mindshare is more important than actual quality sometimes (look at Nvidia 400 series for example). But like I say, I don't really care.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Competition is a good thing, and will only help the legacy community grow.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Primal said:

Competition is a good thing, and will only help the legacy community grow.

People say that, but I think it's only true like 10% of the time. Most of the time you could have 5 projects (as example), and they'll all just push bug fixes out at there own pace and not really try to push the envelope or one up each other.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

People say that, but I think it's only true like 10% of the time. Most of the time you could have 5 projects (as example), and they'll all just push bug fixes out at there own pace and not really try to push the envelope or one up each other.

Agreed. K2 and Elysium were both crap but the only viable options for Vanilla for a time. All other Vanilla servers were pretty much ignored, like MagicWoW and Rebirth. Multiple servers had nothing to do with the quality of said servers - I think it's all whatever server happens to get a hype train going, sadly. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

People say that, but I think it's only true like 10% of the time. Most of the time you could have 5 projects (as example), and they'll all just push bug fixes out at there own pace and not really try to push the envelope or one up each other.

Given the dedication the Crestfall staff seems to have toward the integrity of their project, if the other projects don't want to improve their own servers then they will fall into obsolescence like those before them who failed to adapt and survive.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was totally sold on Crestfall until I watched /listened to that lengthy interview with Asura that someone posted here not long ago.  During the interview he said he will keep the servers going as long as players keep paying for them, and that if it comes to him paying out of pocket he will shut down the servers.

And it's not that I think he should be forced to pay for our entertainment, but the fact that he already has that kind of thought in his mind at this stage of things.  It's sorta like you're in the courting stages of a relationship and the other person says they will break up with you under certain situations, even though you're not even dating yet. Give us the honeymoon stage to win our hearts and trust before you give us warnings and threats. I'm weird  I guess, but the fact that he said that really stuck with me and I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I was totally sold on Crestfall until I watched /listened to that lengthy interview with Asura that someone posted here not long ago.  During the interview he said he will keep the servers going as long as players keep paying for them, and that if it comes to him paying out of pocket he will shut down the servers.

And it's not that I think he should be forced to pay for our entertainment, but the fact that he already has that kind of thought in his mind at this stage of things.  It's sorta like you're in the courting stages of a relationship and the other person says they will break up with you under certain situations, even though you're not even dating yet. Give us the honeymoon stage to win our hearts and trust before you give us warnings and threats. I'm weird  I guess, but the fact that he said that really stuck with me and I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

 

I don't understand what you're saying here.

"You don't think they should pay out of pocket for our entertainment but you do?"

The honeymoon stage is the open beta. People will get a chance to checkout the server and warm to it during that time, and even contribute some of their time to make it better (seeing as how you know your beta "progress" gets wiped on release, it's the first time the general playerbase gets a chance to donate something to the project - their time)

It's not warnings and threat, it's facts of life for normal people. They've already donated months of real-time working on the project, it's not like they took a stock core slapped on a few fixes and a cash shop and start booking vacations to the Caribbean. You think they should on top of that put their money they could spend on family, their own consumption towards our entertainment.

Dumpster diving or looking for sugar daddies is free, not something I would like to do.

They said they will keep working on and improving the servers while the players show enough interest in them, and enough interest = help keep them running.

That's more than we are entitled to expect.

Edit: I didn't see Asura's post before I replied.

Edited by Roadblock
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people need to change their mindsets. There is no competition between Nostalrius/Elysium/Kronos and Crestfall. Because their products are vanilla emulators. By and large, good ones too.

Crestfall is a World of Warcraft emulator. As you well know it's designed specifically around progression through expansions just like Blizzard did. 

Most players don't get that now, because they've never had this choice before. It doesn't matter what the pops are for the first few months, people will come at a nice steady rate as the penny drops.

Why on earth would you go through the 1-60 process for the 5th time in a cul-de-sac? And I mean that in the French version too.

Oh and another thing. If the devs live up to their promises the PvE realm won't be found lacking in donations.

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Asura said:

Crogge and I have been in emulation for 10 years. We know what can happen, so we're straight forward with how things are. I don't think that's a bad thing. That's part of our transparency. Other projects will shut down last minute, or disappear entirely. We want everything on the table from day 1 so should the time ever come, people are prepared for it instead of shocked about a random shutdown.

I understand and completely appreciate the transparency.  I respect that more than I can express.  I guess for me sometimes its nice to be lied to, just for a little while, like during times when your spirit or faith in something is fragile and growing.  Lets call it Santa Claus-Syndrome. 

 

6 hours ago, Roadblock said:

I don't understand what you're saying here.

"You don't think they should pay out of pocket for our entertainment but you do?"

The honeymoon stage is the open beta. People will get a chance to checkout the server and warm to it during that time, and even contribute some of their time to make it better (seeing as how you know your beta "progress" gets wiped on release, it's the first time the general playerbase gets a chance to donate something to the project - their time)

It's not warnings and threat, it's facts of life for normal people. They've already donated months of real-time working on the project, it's not like they took a stock core slapped on a few fixes and a cash shop and start booking vacations to the Caribbean. You think they should on top of that put their money they could spend on family, their own consumption towards our entertainment.

Dumpster diving or looking for sugar daddies is free, not something I would like to do.

They said they will keep working on and improving the servers while the players show enough interest in them, and enough interest = help keep them running.

That's more than we are entitled to expect.

Edit: I didn't see Asura's post before I replied.

I don't think they should pay out of pocket.  It wasn't the money that was the issue, it was the little dark cloud of acknowledging the end before it has began to stuck with me.

I think we have different definitions of the honeymoon stage.

Again, I guess I just pay attention to different details when I read and hear things.  I can't help what sticks out to me, but something in the interview did, and this just how I instinctually felt after listening.  It is clear that this IS a two way street.  It is just as up to us as it is to them to keep this thing going.  And that is vital information to keep in mind as this moves forward.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if it comes down to a monetary issue there are MORE than enough people I am certain interested that are willing to help sustain the cost. Those who were willing to pay a monthly fee for the so called "legacy server" can start coming forth at that point in time. I myself would have no problem helping these guys out if the need arose ,and while I understand many are not in a position to do so just remember kids...nothing in life worth having is free.

Statin

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Crowley said:

It's sorta like you're in the courting stages of a relationship and the other person says they will break up with you under certain situations, even though you're not even dating yet.

That's exactly what mature people do before starting a relationship: negotiate the limits before singing up for anything long-term. You know, like contraception and cheating and so on.

Of course a guy starting a relatively expensive project should think about how to fund it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, windslav said:

That's exactly what mature people do before starting a relationship: negotiate the limits before singing up for anything long-term. You know, like contraception and cheating and so on.

Of course a guy starting a relatively expensive project should think about how to fund it.

I wouldn't break out a list of reasons why I would break up with someone over dinner on a first date.  If someone did that to me I would be intimidated. At the same time I also wouldn't propose marriage or promise riches beyond their wildest dreams.  You ease into some of the heavier subjects at first, you keep it light til you learn each others reactions and intentions a bit.  I don't think I'm doing a very good job of explaining my thoughts on the issue, so I will digress on the subject from here on out.  My doubts are my own and are no reflection of the community.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I wouldn't break out a list of reasons why I would break up with someone over dinner on a first date.  If someone did that to me I would be intimidated. At the same time I also wouldn't propose marriage or promise riches beyond their wildest dreams.  You ease into some of the heavier subjects at first, you keep it light til you learn each others reactions and intentions a bit.  I don't think I'm doing a very good job of explaining my thoughts on the issue, so I will digress on the subject from here on out.  My doubts are my own and are no reflection of the community.

I get what you're saying. But this project is waaaay beyond the first date. At this point we're past the proposal, and waiting to consummate the marriage.

Edit: Coming to think of it, some people have already been entering the server.

Edited by windslav
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually hoping most players go to Nostalrius so we don't have a big flood of players and everything goes smooth and leveling isn't impossible as most server launches.

I'm also ok with 4k population, hell even 2.5k is good to me

Quote

I get what you're saying. But this project is waaaay beyond the first date. At this point we're past the proposal, and waiting to consummate the marriage.

Edit: Coming to think of it, some people have already been entering the server.

 

lol i just loved that analogy :D

Edited by ClawzTheMeow
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivalry breeds competition which breeds excellence.

that usually goes hand in hand with many things in life.

i'd be more concerned if there was no one to really compete with in the scene. that would be pretty lame and unhealthy for the community.

also take away that CF is a PTE project that will have working vanilla content in their TBC. every little bit done now, saves time in the future expansions.

hopefully this pushes the envelope for other TBC projects to consider completing more than just TBC content and possibly make PTE projects more appealing in the long haul with the direction CF is taking in this. Closed beta is closing in, but remember, TBC is also getting the same love too. ;)

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2016 at 9:59 AM, Outstanding said:

I think people need to change their mindsets. There is no competition between Nostalrius/Elysium/Kronos and Crestfall. Because their products are vanilla emulators. By and large, good ones too.

Crestfall is a World of Warcraft emulator. As you well know it's designed specifically around progression through expansions just like Blizzard did. 

Most players don't get that now, because they've never had this choice before. It doesn't matter what the pops are for the first few months, people will come at a nice steady rate as the penny drops.

Why on earth would you go through the 1-60 process for the 5th time in a cul-de-sac? And I mean that in the French version too.

Oh and another thing. If the devs live up to their promises the PvE realm won't be found lacking in donations.

It's not totally true. Crestfall is a PTE but as you know pvp server will split when TBC launch, so new pvp serv for TBC and old serv for people who want to stay on Vanilla. Same thing for TBC->WOLTK, so we can count at least 5 serv when WOTLK hit (original PTE PVP/PVE + Vanilla Pvp + TBC pvp + WOTLK pvp) Am i wrong ?

Edited by Johnnyshaun
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Johnnyshaun said:

It's not totally true. Crestfall is a PTE but as you know pvp server will split when TBC launch, so new pvp serv for TBC and old serv for people who want to stay on Vanilla. Same thing for TBC->WOLTK, so we can count at least 5 serv when WOTLK hit (original PTE PVP/PVE + Vanilla Pvp + TBC pvp + WOTLK pvp) Am i wrong ?

Everything the devs have said so far about that matter is not 100% Verified/confirmed until we go live.
And by going live i mean launching the servers, not closed or open beta or PTR, whatever will happen until then.

Edited by ClawzTheMeow
Fixed
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0