Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 11/28/2016

61 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Sallerius said:

Well, Killerduki proudly wears CF "holy resistance" avatar on Elysium forums.He deserved it.

I had to look that up to see if it was for real. Made me lol.

34 minutes ago, Enjoythis said:

Also, why would you disable the fixes?

"We still have all those spellfixes, but so much has changed in the core over the last while that many of them may need to be restructured or rewritten." -Darkrasp

I'm sure it's probably easier from a development point of view to start beta without the spellfixes so that players identify the issues rather than test with the spellfixes that might be broken and then not be sure if the fix is the problem, or if it's a different issue.

Edited by Kelila

1 hour ago, Enjoythis said:

Weren't most instances scripted already?

NPCs are almost all scripted,  events aren't.  So you can fight Aku'mai in Blackfathom Deeps and he'll cast all his spells and what have you, but after you kill him, Morridune won't spawn.   In each instance (except for RFC and Stockades) there are a couple of scripted events that will need writing.  In Deadmines, it's the patrols that spawn after each boss is killed (easy), and the Cannon event (easy).  In ZF, it's Ghaz'ranka (easy) and the Staircase event (not so easy).

Regarding your other question on why the fixes were disabled, they HAD to be disabled while the rewrites were happening to prevent conflicts in the core..  Basically the core has changed so much over the course of time due to updates, refactoring, etc. that many of those fixes won't work, or won't work properly.  In some cases the core-side functionality is improved so much that they aren't even necessary anymore.  In this case it's easier, and more thorough, to leave them disabled and then fix what's broken using them as reference material.

4 hours ago, Njut said:

How many hours would you like a person to invest in this matter?

It isn't your time we're super interested in, it's your expertise.  If you can check and cover the stuff we want you to check in an hour, then an hour.  If you can do it in four hours, then four hours.  I suspect that if you're interested in testing a player class, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to verify what's broken and explain the bugs, and then a hour or less to retest it each time we make fixes.   If you're interested in testing something like raid dungeons, that's going to take a little longer.  I suppose an approximate answer to this would be "No more than a couple hours at a time until you're satisfied that it's working correctly."

@Bloo make sure to put in big bold text at the top of the beta signup page something like this:

THE BETA IS NOT TO SATISFY YOUR WOW ADDICTION; YOU CAN DO THAT AFTER BETA

THIS IS MORE LIKE A CALL-IN VOLUNTEER JOB

Edited by Aquane

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

You have no idea how ready for this I am.

Was in closed TBC.com beta with him. So true! :D 

Edited by Topkek

Gentlemen, thank you for your hard work. I look forward to experiencing the game you have created.

This is being done exactly the right way. Id est, Closed Beta =/= opportunity to play Vanilla WoW. Closed Beta == a chance to bust your hump like you're being paid for it, in order to make launch a success and promote the future of the server.

I'm a beginner at Vanilla and still going to wait two weeks or a month after full launch (not open beta, but launch) before rolling a toon, but I wish the brave and erstwhile Closed Beta and Open Beta people all the best of success.

6 hours ago, Elicas said:

You have no idea how ready for this I am.

I've been lurking and reading (and sometimes posting) here for 4 months. Being a fellow druid, I'm over excited for you! I know my class will be flawless come release. God speed. 

9 hours ago, Clavus said:

I had to look that up to see if it was for real. Made me lol.

As long as that whiny PoS stays over at Elysium, CF will always be the superior server provider for me xD

Probably won't make it in to closed beta but I'm already okay with this. Just hope the people who do get in will be able to control their WoW boners long enough to help you guys fix as much stuff as possible :P

I want to stress, Closed Beta isn't going to be that exclusive a club.  I absolutely encourage everyone to sign up.

We're going to need lots of people to test content, the goal of the signup form is to just make sure we're getting the right people at the right times.  If our dev staff is maxed out working on one thing, then there's no point having people testing other stuff and making reports we don't have time to look at.  As we progress through the beta we'll be inviting more and more people.  So please, don't be discouraged or sell yourself short.  You never know when you'll get the call to be the healer in a few Uldaman test runs because you're the only person who said they remembered where all the trash packs were in there.

Our goal isn't to exclude here, it's just to keep ourselves from being overwhelmed.

Nice update @Darkrasp thanks so much for your continous dedication !

Ok i believe now its time to Ressurect Killderduki

*blinks *

* ressurects Killerduki *

I don't remember most stuff from Retail and i haven't played all the years of retail but i can help with whatever needs help but if there's anything that needs fixing that involves Druid or Paladin classes(the classes i've played the most to this day) i wouldn't mind to be involved.
But i'm still not a master super theorycrafter of those classes, i simply know some things about those classes that may help

Edited by ClawzTheMeow

29 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

I want to stress, Closed Beta isn't going to be that exclusive a club.  I absolutely encourage everyone to sign up.

We're going to need lots of people to test content, the goal of the signup form is to just make sure we're getting the right people at the right times.  If our dev staff is maxed out working on one thing, then there's no point having people testing other stuff and making reports we don't have time to look at.  As we progress through the beta we'll be inviting more and more people.  So please, don't be discouraged or sell yourself short.  You never know when you'll get the call to be the healer in a few Uldaman test runs because you're the only person who said they remembered where all the trash packs were in there.

Our goal isn't to exclude here, it's just to keep ourselves from being overwhelmed.

@Darkrasp I know you will not giving a precise statement but, approx, how long closed beta/open beta process will take ? I'm already prepared to things like "the time it's need" or "2030" or "2055" but could you give an answer, not too engaging but not too vague ? I know that CF team don't want to hype people by false interpretation and create btw virtual deadlines, but it would be nice to have a vision about remaining way. 

Fresh eyes are always welcomed, even if they never touched a class before. ;) 

How do you intend to distinguish "expertise" from false memory? The fact that vanilla emulation has been going on for years has probably created an environment conducive to altering memory. Keep in mind that confidence does not have a strong correlation to accuracy. In many cases, overconfidence can be a significant contributing factor to creating false memory. 

What kinds of details do you think memory can be trusted to provide accurately? In many cases I would be far more confident in deducing a value or a detail by comparing to other known values rather than trust someone vehemently claiming to remember. 

Your writing is charming, with a conversational feel. As usually, I enjoyed both the content and the delivery. Thank you for your weekly updates.

Adroitly.

...ok, I didn't kknow this was a word, I just thought you were playing around with French.

Also people that didn't play retail, ever, will we be useful in the beta at all :P?

@Johnnyshaun you can extrapolate a launch date scenario reasonably efficiently. The statement of intent was to start closed beta end of summer. Regardless of equinox parameters that would be looked upon as being end August, so we are 4 months behind with Beta starting end December.

Next we have the stated aim for server launch as Q4 2016 or Q1 2017. So we are already one quarter to the bad when that timeframe was given.

Finally, Asura said he had a launch date in mind when the server would go live regardless of how finished it was. 

So along with other things said, but giving a healthy warning that things can go wrong, staff members can mutiny and Donald Trump/Brexit can happen, we can surmise the following:

Earliest launch date end Q1 2017

Most likely time frame Q2 to Q3 2017

Asura's worst case scenario? Not telling...

Edited by Outstanding
Wrong player mentioned (gently corrected)

10 hours ago, JonDoh said:

How do you intend to distinguish "expertise" from false memory? The fact that vanilla emulation has been going on for years has probably created an environment conducive to altering memory. Keep in mind that confidence does not have a strong correlation to accuracy. In many cases, overconfidence can be a significant contributing factor to creating false memory. 

What kinds of details do you think memory can be trusted to provide accurately? In many cases I would be far more confident in deducing a value or a detail by comparing to other known values rather than trust someone vehemently claiming to remember. 

^ This.

I played vanilla retail with my hunter, did all 5man dungeons at that time constantly until TBC hit, but I don't really remember the details exactly how they were, neither drops or packs and such :(. I don't think anyone does, unless you have screenshots from fights with each room/mob/boss or videos ;)

I could say I have some experience with priest because I leveled two to level 60 and did some dungeons, but this experience is based on private servers. This is one of the reasons I hesitate if I should sign-up for Beta or not. I don't want to give out false information for sure. However, one can contribute with man-power for sure.

12 hours ago, JonDoh said:

I understand what you're saying.

On the one hand, things should be pretty close on the first pass.  I remember the Splinterbone Skeletons running up and down the spiral in RFD, I remember all the Guards' patrol routes in a tribute run.  Do I remember the exact location and composition of every trash pack?  Of course not... but I remember enough that I could identify any glaring errors in at least a few dungeons.  Between the existing data, and what the staff remembers, and our research, by the time we're ready to test a piece of content it should be pretty close.  What we want is verification that we haven't missed anything important.

8 hours ago, Outstanding said:

@Johnnyshaun you can extrapolate a launch date scenario reasonably efficiently. The statement of intent was to start closed beta end of summer. Regardless of equinox parameters that would be looked upon as being end August, so we are 4 months behind with Beta starting end December.

Next we have the stated aim for server launch as Q4 2016 or Q1 2017. So we are already one quarter to the bad when that timeframe was given.

Finally, Asura said he had a launch date in mind when the server would go live regardless of how finished it was. 

So along with other things said, but giving a healthy warning that things can go wrong, staff members can mutiny and Donald Trump/Brexit can happen, we can surmise the following:

Earliest launch date end Q1 2017

Most likely time frame Q2 to Q3 2017

Asura's worst case scenario? Not telling...

@Outstanding Q3 2017 would be fairly bad delay, same thing for end Q2. The fact is that Nostalrius-Elysium's merge could crystallize a whole and strong community if we aren't ready at end Q1/early Q2 max. If CF really want to have a populated PVE server backing the PVP one, the timeline is really important. Cause even with the best quality at CF, people need a feeling of belonging into a community; they will make friend, make guilds, contents will follow and CF could be relegated as an indie serv and not the new standard we waiting for. Furthermore, Nostelysium open a new serv and people will create new characters from 0, they would not giving up a second time and going on CF. I know we are focusing on quality here, but it's not the only relevant parameter; i think that pre-raid content could be done while people do their 0-60 progression, so we could win 3/4 weeks on releasing date. Same for raid scripting. Don't let the hype falling into oblivion. 

@Johnnyshaun Don't worry so much about "who gets the population first" my friend. I don't know how much fixing this server will need throughout the betas but launching Crestfall before Nostalsium in a half assed, bugfest state will only do harm to CF. It will drive people away from CF into Nostalsium's arms. You should wait patiently, like everybody else, for the server to become playable. Sure, the delayed launch will bring in fewer people at first but the population will grow in time. I for one don't worry that much. Besides, CF is not "another vanilla server". It's unique in the sense that it will continue to TBC, Wrath and so on. People who get bored of clearing the same raids over and over in vanilla will probably find their way here.

If you want to contribute to Crestfall, why not let your friends know of this server? You can also advertise on the internet.

Edited by Quantus
wrong word corrected

@Johnnyshaun I guess it's differing perspectives then. The last server to go toe-to-toe with Nostalrius by releasing in the approximate same time frame was Kronos and we all know what happened there.

You can't compete against Nostalrius even on the perception of better quality because you are going up against a hype-train and a well-established fanbois base. That's perfectly fine by me.

The return of Nostalrius is probably the best thing that could have happened to Crestfall for the following reasons:

• The fanbois and hypetrain merchants disappear to pollute the Nost 2 forums and realms removing a toxic element we can well do without
  • The gold farmers get placated and reduce the DDoS attacks on CF while they go back to exploiting the masses on the 2x Nost PvP realms
  • The return of Nost greatly expands the PS potential base including players new to the PS scene, by discreetly advertising Crestfall we enlarge the core we can recruit from
  • The degradation of the PvE server to last and least will encourage people to the equal treatment CF has given Zul'Dare/Kul'Tiras, especially as we have the only fresh PvE realm
  • The above points contribute to a healthy population but well below the numbers associated with Nost 2
  • However, increasingly we'll get the converted coming over from Nost 2 down to these perceptions of higher quality, then by superior scripting of end raids like AQ40 and Naxx and finally by progression to TBC and beyond.
  • The beauty is that the elements we really don't want associated with CF will realise this too late allowing us all to establish ourselves, our guilds and our reputation as an immovable block. 

The only fly in the ointment is that the server doesn't meet a finite launch date and that it fails to live up to the promises given.

18 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

The only fly in the ointment is that the server doesn't meet a finite launch date and that it fails to live up to the promises given.

Or worse, it disappears without a trace like Corecraft did (Did Shiro die or something?). But I'm not expecting that from CF ^^