Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neuf

How to run this on MAC

Okay this is my question: how do I run 1.12.1 on my girlfriends MAC if she ever said yes to a couple questions-one of which was to to play wow ;) 

I read a little about a "wow.app" file but reddit didn't explain that much and I trust this community, my community! 

So she has a 27" 2012 (See this is how little I know about what MAC is or whatever( PC is easier I can tell you all my specs and Windows #)) Mac Pro, I think. She has the horsepower, obviously but because MAC is lame how do would I get it to run or is it possible?

I know that you can run an emulation of Windows on a Mac and then run WoW on the "fake" Windows. But I have no idea how to do it. 

There is also a version of the game that is made for a Mac, I think some of the other servers have the files to download but I'm not sure if it's Vanilla. I think I've seen someone mentioning tweaking the .exe file so it can run on a Mac.

I don't know any details though, someone else or Google may be more helpful :c

There is an opensource program called Wine that you can download and use to run .exe files on a Mac. It essentially allocates the correct resources to run the program as any other program would run on a mac.  This website should be pretty helpful in all of the setup: https://www.winehq.org/

4 hours ago, Neuf said:

Okay this is my question: how do I run 1.12.1 on my girlfriends MAC if she ever said yes to a couple questions-one of which was to to play wow ;) 

I read a little about a "wow.app" file but reddit didn't explain that much and I trust this community, my community! 

So she has a 27" 2012 (See this is how little I know about what MAC is or whatever( PC is easier I can tell you all my specs and Windows #)) Mac Pro, I think. She has the horsepower, obviously but because MAC is lame how do would I get it to run or is it possible?

I play WoW on my 21.5" mid 2011 iMac with no problems whatsoever. What I did was basically install a Windows 10 partition on the iMac via Apple Bootcamp. This is the best method (performance wise) to run all PC games on Apple computers. Give it a search on the apple website or youtube ;D

P.S - I think you can run WoW on a Mac, the problem is that most addons don´t work

Edited by Tonight

On 30. november 2016 at 3:33 PM, Neuf said:

Now I'm curious to what other questions you are going to ask her :D

First of all wow.app is really awesome, but unfortunately it only exist for wotlk and beyond afaik. 

There are several ways to get vanilla to work for mac. Here are the ones I've successfully tried:

1. Download WoW Mac-client. There exist perfectly fine mac clients for vanilla 1.12.1 (its a working tbc-client for mac that's the problem)
Try: http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=2635.0 and check if those dl-links work. if not, try to google it.
(I currently have a fully working mac 1.12.1 client, so if you run into problems you can pm me)

2. Install Windows on her mac, then download and install the wow-pc-client (like @Tonight posted above).

3. Download Wine, download wow-pc client, and then install and play the pc-wow-client trough Wine (like @Kelila posted above).

4. Download Crossover, download wow-pc client, and then install and play the pc-wow-client trough Crossover (basically just another app doing the same as Wine)

Just get the native OS X version of the client. There is no need to use Wine or Bootcamp to run it. That way you don't need to install anything. Just unzip it, edit realmlist.wtf and run WoW.app.  I am using it and it runs fine aside from the boat bug (but there are workarounds for it). There is a thread with a link to a torrent on reddit: Clean torrent for the vanilla mac client

Edited by fruitsalad

As already stated, the easiest and most stable way is:

1) Download windows client and extract it to a folder

2) Install wine https://www.winehq.org/

3) Open WoW.exe with 'Wine Windows Program Loading'.

Works for MAC, Linux, freeBSD and maybe other OSes.

Recent Macs have a Linux core. I run Linux and the 1.12 client works fine for me under Wine. If you can get Wine for Mac then the same should work for you.

You can also use something like Virtualbox to install Windows on her mac and run the 1.12 client in that.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:09 PM, quentinv said:

Recent Macs have a Linux core. I run Linux and the 1.12 client works fine for me under Wine. If you can get Wine for Mac then the same should work for you.

You can also use something like Virtualbox to install Windows on her mac and run the 1.12 client in that.

OSX is BSD based; it has nothing to do with Linux.

@Neuf I've used the native OSX client for 1.12 w/o any issues some private servers offer the client for download e.g. Excalibur http://dl-serv.exnw.com/browse.php?file=ExcaliburWoW_Client_Mac_enUS.zip

You'll need to edit the realm list when the server launches, just  like on windows and everything else is pretty much the same, this still works on OSX Sierra. 

I have used the Mac OS version of WoW on multiple private servers. The biggest problem, and Its been a problem on every server, is using the ships to transport from Kalimdor to Azeroth and Vic-versa. You will drop through the ship every time once the new location loads. I have talked to server admins and they all say it is a Mac problem, something with the loading script. I would recommend using windows version through Wine app or Bootcamp.

Whether this will be a problem with this new server, not sure. 

Cheers

The ship bug plagued the MacOS client during Vanilla and TBC this isn't a server specific issue.

21 hours ago, DOGBERT said:

The ship bug plagued the MacOS client during Vanilla and TBC this isn't a server specific issue.

I switched from Win XP to OS X about mid Vanilla and played almost until the release of Cataclysm. I am quite confident that I did not witness this bug on retail even once in those years. The first time I fell into the ocean was on Nostalrius, my first private server experience.

Besides, this topic has been answered semi-officially in another thread (I keep linking to this answer ...):

I would like to mention that in order to play TBC on a Mac, Wine or one of the other workarounds is your best option.  The TBC mac client will not work with the most recent Mac OS due to Apple no longer supporting Rosetta in the OS. There's a much longer explanation into all of that, but simply put the TBC client won't work, so if you are planning on progressing through expansions, it wouldn't be a bad idea to set up one of the workaround methods now.  If you are planning on playing just vanilla and just on your mac, then go ahead and play via the mac client for vanilla.

A little bit of an addition to my comment previously about Wine. There are programs such as Winebottler which will package up the file and make running the app simply, however if you want to add any addons, you'll have to unbottle/bottle the application in order to run it again through the program.  If you just use the base Wine program, you can just drop the files into the addons folder as you would on a pc, the only difference is that when you run the application, you do it through the command prompt and to my knowledge it does that process of packaging the files each time you run the exe.  I might be a little off in that description, but from what I read and what I've experienced, just using Wine is simple enough and has worked very well for me to run windows versions of both the Vanilla and TBC clients.

Edited by Kelila
grammar

3 hours ago, hobbleezy said:

Total noob here to Crestfall.  What is the realmlist I need to change to?  Thanks.

Servers are not live yet, so there's no realmlist available at least for non-staff/non-testers crowd

Just now, ClawzTheMeow said:

Servers are not live yet, so there's no realmlist available at least for non-staff/non-testers crowd

Thanks!

Just now, hobbleezy said:

Thanks!

You're welcome, pay attention to news & announcements section of the forums, if you check it regurarly you'll know when the servers launch