Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quentinv

will stealth and pick pocket be fixed?

On every other server (or so I've heard) stealth and consequently pick pocket are broken.

If I'm going to roll a rogue, I want to be able to sneak up on a mob and pick its pocket for the quest drop I need instead of having to bash its head in like a warrior.

And if I need to get through a crowded area, I'd like to be able to sneak past the crowd instead of having to fight umpteen million mobs in order to reach the exit.

What's the word from the devs on these issues, which are chronic in freeserver vanilla?

It might help if you specify the problems with the skills mentioned. Do you with stealth, for example, mean mob reaction (turning) without aggroing? Like explained in this thread:

No, a mob peering suspiciously at where it senses someone standing, without seeing you, is not what I mean. That's familiar to me from retail and adds realism. I mean stealth failing completely and the mob aggroing as if I'm not stealthed, or, alternatively, aggroing on every pick pocket attempt regardless of factors such as relative levels.

I guess, I'll necro this instead of creating a new thread.

Besides what quentinv mentioned, which is basically mobs having eyes on their backs so you can't really sneak up to them, here are some other, common stealth issues encountered on private servers:

Stealth+ modifiers like the cloak enchant or boots doing nothing, consequently the same applies to stealth detection modifiers.

Pets that continue chasing and attacking you after Vanish till the end of the world.

Vanish randomly not putting you out of combat or resettings mobs.

The immunity timer of Vanish not working, which means that mobs will knock you out of it with any auto attack or skill currently in progress. The same goes for PvP.

Vanish not making you immune to projectiles currenly flying towards you.

Multishot, Blade Flurry and Sweeping Strikes targeting stealthed players and mobs.

It would be nice to know what's been fixed already.

Edited by Terpsichore

A lot of what you mention as private server issues, @Terpsichore, is actually Blizzlike. I suppose vanish, for example, is really hard to code correctly.

Can someone confirm or deny that pets should not continue chasing and attacking you after Vanish?

Pets benefit from Track Hidden but they do not ignore Vanish.

Vanish triggers a short immunity timer which makes you invulnerable to certain types of direct damage for an instant to prevent weapon swings and projectiles flying towards you from knocking you out of stealth instantly, massively increases your stealth level (the Vanish buff) AND resets target's "view" of you, which which means that their stealth detection will begin to scan for you anew. This combination of effects is what makes the skill work.

Generally speaking, if both targets have the same level, it's impossible to see through the Vanish buff unless the rogue is right on your nose for a prolonged period of time. However, if a pet with Track Hidden is still next to that rogue, it will detect him pretty fast. The issue on private servers is that the act of vanishing doesn't do anything of what I mentioned above properly so pets continue to happily maul through it.

5 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

Vanish triggers a short immunity timer which makes you invulnerable to certain types of direct damage

Sources?

I believe Vanish removes you from combat and gives a REALLY high stealth rate for a few seconds after use. I do not think it gives immunity to any kind of damage. But again, having sources with the actual effects that took place in retail 2004-2006 might bring some light to the issue.

Watch any old PvP movies and you'll see rogues vanishing all sorts of things. Most common is probably to vanish coil.

Edited by Frost

The immunity was added at a later time, though I do not remember when, I believe it was TBC. I know that them adding the immunity was to address issues of getting auto attacked out of vanish (a confirmed bug in vanilla, See World of RogueCraft Ep 1). As for Aoe pulling rogues out of stealth it has always done that to my knowledge. The game client does not even know a stealthed character is there until the last second. This was confirmed by blizzard as a way to prevent addons, and other things from being able to detect them early (Source Here).

Pets continuing to attack after vanish was a thing in vanilla, though I do not remember if it was intentional or not (it was changed later so they reset).

As for the stealth argument, I have seen this complaint a lot, but I have yet to see anyone produce reasonable evidence of an issue other than "Its not how I remember it"

It does not seem broken enough for me to read the write-up on stealth (plus its in french)(Found Here) get a range addon and test this to the length that I would need to to prove anything (100+ tests) so I have not yet done so. Once my Rogue hits 60, I may do just that .

The vanilla PVP videos I have seen do not show anyone vanish immuning anything, I know it was a thing in TBC and WotLK because we used to do it in raiding to avoid big AoE's, so if you can find a source then that would be awesome.

From what I know of vanish, it puts you into stealth, and gives you several levels of stealth, as well as removes you from combat.

As for pick pocket, I have not seen any issues with it, other than server specific bugs, but even then those are not consistent from one server to the next. The most of what I have seen is a "nerf" to the drop rate of items from lock boxes, but again the evidence was anecdotal at best.