Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crowley

Healer class comparison/preference?

I plan on leveling up a healer (heal spec from level 1-60).  I've done Holy Priest and I've done Resto Druid and I loved both of them.  I'm wondering how most people view each healer class in general, who is sought after the most.  Is there a healer class/spec that people usually don't care for? I'm leaning towards Resto Shaman since I've never leveled a Shaman past level 20 before.  I know Dwarf Priest are probably the most wanted, but excluding racials, more focused on healing class/spec what are your thoughts on Holy Priest, Rest Druid, Resto Shaman and Holy Pali ?

(I know it depends on what you plan to do, pvp, pve,raid,etc - but I mean in general if you wanted to pick a toon to do it all)

Edited by Crowley

The most well rounded healer imo is priest, but compared to the other healers while useful their utility is lacking. Druids have BRez and innervate, shamans have totems and Blust, Paladins have blessings and auras. Overall a guild should look for a healthy balance between the 3 classes available to them, but to pick a class it comes down to the type of utility you'd like to provide all can heal dungeons well enough when played properly, and as I said in raids there should be a mix.

For a breakdown of what I would roll depending on what I wanted to do would be

RDruid - Spot healing while helping the other healers with their mana issues

RSham - Great raid healing with group wide resist, self rez for wipes, Blust to help dps, and poison cleansing totem

HPal - Great single target (mostly tank) healing, Blessing of salvation so dps can go all out, amazing self sustain with pretty good gear, resist/damage auras, judgements

HPriest - Great single target and aoe/spot healing (alli usually aoe horde usually single target), stam buff, possibly spirit buff depending on spec, angel talent for temporary infinite heals after death, PW:S if you know a large hit is inc

Overall I will be maining a HPriest horde side on ZulDare(PVE) mostly for tbc/wotlk reasons but will time allowing also have a shaman alt. Overall it comes down to your personal preference and if you really, really don't care scour the forums/discord make some friends and make a guild with them then roll whatever your guild needs the most of. I can tell you from experience on a couple other pserver paladins are very overplayed typically followed by shamans or priests depending on server then druid.

EDIT: Since people are correcting me I'll just point out that this is not based on research or optimal play; however, it is based on my experience in the game and what I hear. If you read slightly closer all my "reviews" are my thought process going into picking a character, and as this is PTE some play styles and spells may be skewed because I don't like to level alts especially to "prep" a new main in a new expansion. For the actual "suggestion" read the block of text before this.

Edited by Deyedron
misunderstanding

Do be aware that Paladins will be on Blessing duty and they don't last very long in Vanilla. So, even with an addon, you have "annoying" tasks that you are forced to do.

Same sort of applies to Shamans what with having to drop your totems anytime you move.

Druids are best.

I am a completely unbiased third party to this general conversation, and this fact can be taken as 100% truth, with no propaganda involved in any way.

For PvP druids and paladins are best. Druids for carrying flags and being sneaky, paladins cuz they are hardest to kill and provide the best support.

6 hours ago, Deyedron said:

The most well rounded healer imo is priest, but compared to the other healers while useful their utility is lacking. Druids have BRez and innervate, shamans have totems and Blust, Paladins have blessings and auras. Overall a guild should look for a healthy balance between the 3 classes available to them, but to pick a class it comes down to the type of utility you'd like to provide all can heal dungeons well enough when played properly, and as I said in raids there should be a mix.

For a breakdown of what I would roll depending on what I wanted to do would be

RDruid - Spot healing while helping the other healers with their mana issues

RSham - Great raid healing with group wide resist, self rez for wipes, Blust to help dps, and poison cleansing totem

HPal - Great single target (mostly tank) healing, Blessing of salvation so dps can go all out, amazing self sustain with pretty good gear, resist/damage auras, judgements

HPriest - Great single target and aoe/spot healing (alli usually aoe horde usually single target), stam buff, possibly spirit buff depending on spec, angel talent for temporary infinite heals after death, PW:S if you know a large hit is inc

Overall I will be maining a HPriest horde side on ZulDare(PVE) mostly for tbc/wotlk reasons but will time allowing also have a shaman alt. Overall it comes down to your personal preference and if you really, really don't care scour the forums/discord make some friends and make a guild with them then roll whatever your guild needs the most of. I can tell you from experience on a couple other pserver paladins are very overplayed typically followed by shamans or priests depending on server then druid.

As far as i know shamans don't have blood lust in vanilla

6 hours ago, Deyedron said:

Sorry but this is just plain wrong. Paladins are always assigned to raidhealing due to fast cast-times. Only time a paladin would be assigned to tank healing in Vanilla is due to lacking group composition. 

OT:
I have only played paladin (and druid to some extent, but that´s not in vanilla) on a decent level, so I can/will come off as biased. 

Priests is indeed the "best" healer class in vanilla. They have the biggest heals, decent HoT, and a well geared priest can and will keep your tank alive, as well as the occasional renew-bot on the raid. There´s a reason druids innervate the priests in raids /sob. Playing priest also involves a whole lot of downranking, so dependent on situation/raid encounter, there will always be a different rank of a spell to use. This involves a lot of keybinds/macros in order to be up to par with the situation. I suggest you look up a priest guide if priest is something that is of interest to you. Also pretty stronk in PvP. Pick Dwarf of going Alliance. There´s no other option here. 

Shamans are good, and they just keep getting better throughout the WoW timeline (this is a PTE project after all). During vanilla, however, they are second to priest (imo Pala>Sham) when it comes to basically everything. Totems bring utility and increases dps (mostly melee), but seeing how threat is a major issue on horde side with WF proccs, shamans utilization cannot be maximized until TBC when horde gains Salvation. In regards to healing, shamans are on point. Chain heal will keep your clumped melee groups alive, as well as totems having a reliable HoT. Cleansing totems will be used a lot in the latter stages of Vanilla. Also pretty good in PvP combat, with mail + shield. Can also dish out quite a burst. 

Druids are by far the weakest healer in Vanilla, they´re sort of average in every aspect. However, they bring good utility with CR and Innervate. MoTW is also pretty underrated. Druids just don´t get the + healing necessary in order to match up with Priests Renew in terms of HoTs, they are however a good supplement. You´ll most likely spend your time spamming HT, using different ranks depending on situation, and decursing cause mages are usually slacking. Pre-hotting tanks are necessary in some encounters, but will in most just cause problems in terms of threat. I do have to say druids is one of the more fun classes to play, in terms of PvP. If you´re not a total waste of oxygen, you can and will survive most players in PvP because Bearform and your mobility. However, druids deal with mana problems in PvP in Vanilla due to high cost for shapeshifting (not sure how their situation regarding mana is in PvE). Also one of the easier classes to level. 

Paladins, as stated above, supply a wide set of viabilities; raid healing, Blessings (get PP bruh), auras, BoP in dire situations, Judgement of Light/Wisdom if there is debuff slots viable makes for pretty good supplements for casts etc. Paladins are also by far the strongest healer in PvP. You´re basically a tank with heals if you´re fully plate equipped + shield, with the only problem being mobility if BoF isn´t active. Paladins also have the hardest time solo-farming materials etc if you´re playing holy. Your damage is pretty low and spamming concecration will have you drinking after every other mob. 

This is just from my PoV. As I stated, biased towards paladins, and the material presented concerning the other classes are just my opinion based on some facts. 

This:

7 hours ago, Deyedron said:

The most well rounded healer imo is priest

Nothing to add :P, but personally i like also druids.

2 hours ago, Lilaina said:

For PvP druids and paladins are best. Druids for carrying flags and being sneaky, paladins cuz they are hardest to kill and provide the best support.

For fc i would prefer only tank build as druid (with nature's grasp and natural shapeshifter), and as to palas they suck (but dont listen to me im totally biased with em xD)

As you already played priest I recommend you playing a paladin. Playing solo is really boring (seal and auto attack) as well as raiding in my opinion (it's basically casting blessings every 15 minutes and spamming Flash Heal and Cleanse).

But in groups supporting is a lot of fun. In dungeon groups you can pick to either tank with a holy/protection spec. And when things go wrong you have many utility spells to get things right again. A skilled paladin that is focussing on support makes every dungeon run a lot easier. You have the reputation of being the best supporting class in the game and it is totally justified.

In PvP you are very hard to control. You can use Blessing of Sacrifice to break every CC that breaks with damage. Blessing of Freedom and Cleanse to dispell some CC on yourself and others. Blessing of Protection to protect casters when they get focussed by melees. And if a situation calls for it you can make yourself immune to damage and spells for 12 seconds with Divine Shield. Being able to heal and support for that time without anybody being able to kill and interrupt you can really turn the tables in many situations, even when you are outnumbered.
Pair all those abilities with engineering and you are becoming even stronger. With Hammer of Justice (which is only on a 35 second CD if you have the PvP set and the talents) you can take players out of combat for a short while to avoid being kicked or controlled by that player. Grenades give you more of that. You can also use the Rocket Helmet or Mind Control Cap to take players out of combat for a longer duration. Or root melees to be able to keep distance between them and you and your party members. It's really cool.

If you don't have a racial preference I recommend you to play dwarf. You will grind a little longer for reputation compared to a human but their racial is gold in PvP as you will be able to remove and make yourself immune against poisons like Blind or Viper Sting.

Edited by fruitsalad