Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quentinv

question for management

Someone said in another thread that you plan to fund only the first few months of the server's operations, and then expect players to donate money in order to continue funding operations. As this other person has it, if people don't donate, you shut down Crestfall.

Is this true?

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get an answer on that one as it's conjecture based on unknown circumstances. I think we have a pretty clear idea from the forum and on Discord what the framework is on funding:

• The owners/devs will pay for Crestfall until after server launch. Elysium indicated that their costs are going to be €1200 per month, from what I've seen, the costs for CF will be a lot higher owing to the price for having decent DDoS protection. So let's say €2000-€2500 per month.
  • We don't know at what stage the self-funding will stop, you'd assume it will be within the first three months of server launch. Initially there will be a donation button available to players who want to contribute to the realm costs. Personally, I would like to see this divided by realm, so PvE players can contribute to Zul'Dare and PvP players for Kul'Tiras.
  • If the donations do not match the realm costs (which may or may not include contributions from the owners) then they reserve the right to implement a vanity shop. That is, people can pay to get pre-1.4 mounts, vanity pets and other paraphernalia that do not effect game-play. I guess this could be realm dependent.
  • If this fails to pay for the servers then the owners have indicated that they will take whatever steps deemed to fund the server. There is no point speculating on what that might mean, but it's fair to point out that the P2W system is finished as a viable option. If CF do go down this route then people will quit and the toxicity generated would in my opinion, kill the server.
  • At no point have the owners indicated that they will shut the server down if people won't donate, they will use other progressive/regressive options for alternative funding.

On a personal note, I don't think we will ever get to a vanity shop even. The main issue I feel they will experience is long-term funding during the last few months of vanilla if the numbers are still <1000 per realm. Once they get closer to TBC launch the floodgates will open.

Thanks for that summary. I can understand the people running Crestfall not wanting to speculate.

I'm against cash shops in general, but, if the AH is dead for low-level items, then an option to buy just 1-10 gold pieces, on just one occasion per player account, with real money would be helpful at the lowest levels for new players rolling their first toon on a server.

I think having both PvP and PvE realms and the quality they promise will attract enough people to easily fund the servers.

We'll see how it goes.