Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quentinv

Crestfall server launch upper threshold

Half an hour after relaunch after a launch-day crash, Nost PvE has a full (capped) 5K server with a login queue of about 8K players.

Based on that snapshot, maximizing hype would give Crestfall a shoot-for-the-moon upper launch day threshold server population of about 13K. But that's shoot-for-the-moon.

Isn't 5-6k the cap on Zul'Dare too? If a fresh Vanilla realm launch would invite that many players once CF actually is ready, the devs have mentioned opening up new realms if the demand is there.

Still, it is in my personal opinion that any CF hype be withheld, at least in the meantime. Give Nost/Elysium time to settle. Hyping a server that isn't even within a month ready for open beta or launch tends to ruffle most people (assuming you would try on r/wowservers)

Yes like the devs told us before, there will be a cap on both pvp and pve servers around 4k maybe 5k players.

So don't expect more than that amount of players hehe

2 hours ago, cell007 said:

Isn't 5-6k the cap on Zul'Dare too? If a fresh Vanilla realm launch would invite that many players once CF actually is ready, the devs have mentioned opening up new realms if the demand is there.

Still, it is in my personal opinion that any CF hype be withheld, at least in the meantime. Give Nost/Elysium time to settle. Hyping a server that isn't even within a month ready for open beta or launch tends to ruffle most people (assuming you would try on r/wowservers)

It'll be tricky to know what the real demand is, because the population overload could fade following the excitement of launch. I'll be keeping an eye on Nost's population just to get a better idea of what the dynamics might be on Crestfall (_might_ because Crestfall obviously won't be the same thing as Nost). There's also probably archival data on population changes from other legacy servers, and I'm pretty sure the Crestfall team have someone who has already studied it.

In other news, isn't it exciting that the Vanilla player base is still this robust? I know about the petition, but this is actual players logging into an actual server.

Hanging around in discord last night, Crogge and Darkrasp both confirmed that currently the server cap is going to be set at 6k. Also, not to speak for them but they seemed to have a personal preference for something around 3-4k, but the vocal community wanted larger so 6k was the largest they would go(to my understanding). As far as how big CF will become especially on launch, realistically anything 1k+ is fine that's enough for 24 40man raiding guilds, the most important thing I think is just having an active community like the forums and discord are now as well as having a decent spread of EU, NA, and AU players.

As far as the "upper limit" that leaves it currently at 12k (6k for each server), but as you say that's a "shoot for the moon" stat. I don't anticipate more than 70% of elysium to try out CF and I also doubt more than 50% of those will stay just because they got leveling burn out. So of elysium players that's 9100 players at launch and 4550 stick around by your 13k estimate. Add in an optimistic guess of 1k players like myself that have no interest in elysium and are still waiting for CF that's 10k at launch and settling down to 6k between the 2 servers, so if players are split relatively evenly between the 2 we're left with the blizzlike and somewhat preferred 3k pop per server.

Of course the general private server community could surprise me and not stick with the more established server(elysium), but this is all we can do right now which is guess based on previous experience.

I think Crestfall settling it at 3K pop per server would be ideal, too. Let's hope we can avoid the Nost/Ely launch day zoo here.

2 hours ago, Deyedron said:

Hanging around in discord last night, Crogge and Darkrasp both confirmed that currently the server cap is going to be set at 6k. Also, not to speak for them but they seemed to have a personal preference for something around 3-4k, but the vocal community wanted larger so 6k was the largest they would go(to my understanding). As far as how big CF will become especially on launch, realistically anything 1k+ is fine that's enough for 24 40man raiding guilds, the most important thing I think is just having an active community like the forums and discord are now as well as having a decent spread of EU, NA, and AU players.

As far as the "upper limit" that leaves it currently at 12k (6k for each server), but as you say that's a "shoot for the moon" stat. I don't anticipate more than 70% of elysium to try out CF and I also doubt more than 50% of those will stay just because they got leveling burn out. So of elysium players that's 9100 players at launch and 4550 stick around by your 13k estimate. Add in an optimistic guess of 1k players like myself that have no interest in elysium and are still waiting for CF that's 10k at launch and settling down to 6k between the 2 servers, so if players are split relatively evenly between the 2 we're left with the blizzlike and somewhat preferred 3k pop per server.

Of course the general private server community could surprise me and not stick with the more established server(elysium), but this is all we can do right now which is guess based on previous experience.

if the pve server has 6k players with 2k queues but nost pve didnt even have 5k players before they shut down, then i think that crestfall should just make 2 4k pop pve servers, and 2 4k pop pvp servers, and if enough chinese want, a VPN-allowed server

but then again, how many of those playing on elysium are chinese gold-sellers/etc?

The multiple hardware really sounds good. I cross my fingers and patiently wait for the start to come. :) thanks for the info Dark. 

Thanks to Darkrasp for providing this information. It sounds like a great hardware setup!

Keeping my fingers crossed that this server will flourish!

What Darkrasp said is correct and sums up the differences pretty good.

We will have our open beta running for a while to ensure that there won't be any bigger issues on our official release, we can also calculate the exact resource usage that way. However, we will use slightly "overpowered" hardware to ensure that we can compensate possible peaks and attacks. Also "database corrections/fixes" can be done much faster with decent hardware, we talk here about hours of difference.

As mentioned, we can get further realms online within a day if the 6k limit would be too small. We will ensure that there won't be any bigger queues and we could also "merge" realms anytime if needed because they are using different GUID ranges.

14 hours ago, Crogge said:

What Darkrasp said is correct and sums up the differences pretty good.

We will have our open beta running for a while to ensure that there won't be any bigger issues on our official release, we can also calculate the exact resource usage that way. However, we will use slightly "overpowered" hardware to ensure that we can compensate possible peaks and attacks. Also "database corrections/fixes" can be done much faster with decent hardware, we talk here about hours of difference.

As mentioned, we can get further realms online within a day if the 6k limit would be too small. We will ensure that there won't be any bigger queues and we could also "merge" realms anytime if needed because they are using different GUID ranges.

:o:o:o:o

just to sort of revive this thread, I think capping the servers down on launch to reduce lag is a bad thing, the frustration of many players of the new elysium server caused bad word.

I know it may not be possible to get more hardware only for the server launch, but if it IS possible, it would be the best solution.

Everyone knows that there will be lag when 8k ppl log into the starting zones, no one will argue about that.

The server start might be a big marketing deal, so make sure to put a lot of thoughts into this :) 

15 minutes ago, Budge said:

just to sort of revive this thread, I think capping the servers down on launch to reduce lag is a bad thing, the frustration of many players of the new elysium server caused bad word.

I know it may not be possible to get more hardware only for the server launch, but if it IS possible, it would be the best solution.

Everyone knows that there will be lag when 8k ppl log into the starting zones, no one will argue about that.

The server start might be a big marketing deal, so make sure to put a lot of thoughts into this :) 

To be fair, a big reason why Elysium's queues were so long and slow was because several thousand people were sitting on character screen when not playing so they could avoid the queue. Also, I highly doubt CF will have anywhere near as many players as Elysium which is a good thing. And as far as first impressions go, a laggy experience is worse imo; a long queue makes people think "wow, this servers is popular so it must be good" and you can do something else while waiting but if the gameplay experience itself is bad coz of lag, then the first impression is also more negative, atleast for me.

Edited by Lilaina

My opinion, I'm crossing my fingers for a 3-4K server pop. 2 pvp 1 pve, top of 12k pop total. But, I leave it to the devs

On 1/12/2017 at 3:22 AM, Lilaina said:

To be fair, a big reason why Elysium's queues were so long and slow was because several thousand people were sitting on character screen when not playing so they could avoid the queue. Also, I highly doubt CF will have anywhere near as many players as Elysium which is a good thing. And as far as first impressions go, a laggy experience is worse imo; a long queue makes people think "wow, this servers is popular so it must be good" and you can do something else while waiting but if the gameplay experience itself is bad coz of lag, then the first impression is also more negative, atleast for me.

if the population goes to 8k on release day, then just announce on the same day that you'll be within 2 weeks from then opening another server of that kind if the former's population is at least 4k at primetime a week later, and i guess they wouldn't be getting so mad; repeat as necessary

Edited by Aquane

In my opinion, 6-7k+ players make the economy (AH, trades, traditional vanilla farming) exponentially more living, enjoyable and exciting.

On the other hand, more than 2k players at the launch would make the game un-playable: I've in mind Elysium PvP. A nice solution would be to have 4+ PvP Realms, each one capped at 2k that will be merged after a few weeks to make a single Crestfall PvP.