Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crowley

Will Crestfall allow special characters in names?

45 posts in this topic

I was just curious to know if Crestfall has stated one way or the other if they plan to allow players to use basic special characters in their toon's names. For example ë  ï  í
Blizzard allows it, I'm hoping the same here. I have a few character names that I've carried with me my entire time playing wow, I don't mind having to use special characters to have the name, and with so many people playing on these servers now names get gobbled up pretty quickly.  It's not a complete deal breaker for me, but it definitely has a major impact on where I will invest my time.

A few people made a fuss about it on the Elysium forums and now Elysium doessn't allow it.  So if any of your old Nost toons had special characters, you have to rename. They lost major points in my book (not that my book has any value to anyone or anything except me, but still)

It's always fun to explain to a GM how you'd like to see the N-word or Childmolester or Hailhitler or another "funny" toon renamed but you can't reproduce the name in question exactly because it used several special symbol characters.

43 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I was just curious to know if Crestfall has stated one way or the other if they plan to allow players to use basic special characters in their toon's names. For example ë  ï  í
Blizzard allows it, I'm hoping the same here. I have a few character names that I've carried with me my entire time playing wow, I don't mind having to use special characters to have the name, and with so many people playing on these servers now names get gobbled up pretty quickly.  It's not a complete deal breaker for me, but it definitely has a major impact on where I will invest my time.

A few people made a fuss about it on the Elysium forums and now Elysium doessn't allow it.  So if any of your old Nost toons had special characters, you have to rename. They lost major points in my book (not that my book has any value to anyone or anything except me, but still)

In my opinion I think they should allow special characters for that reason alone.

I hate having my name stolen, it happens on so many servers and then you have to resort to retard names such as Namelol or Nameqt or the famous Namex.

And I don't know if this option is enabled but they should allow a max of 3 special characters in a name, other wise you'll get names such as : Méthøðmåñ

So in my opinion they should, I don't know the current stand point on it right now tho since I never asked. But you did now so let's find out :D 

Considering how Crestfall will be a "world" server, I would avoid any kind of character, other than the 128 classic ascii-characters (7bit).

Why? So that everyone can type every name.

Audio just gave us the example: " Méthøðmåñ "  ( <---- copy/pasted this, cause I cannot type ANY of these special characters. Using a standard ANSI US keyboard here)

1/3/unlimited "special" characters allowed is no real difference. Even witwh just one allowed, people couldn't type your "special" name.

JOKE:

Are you so "special kids" that you need "special characters"?

1 hour ago, mrmr said:

Considering how Crestfall will be a "world" server, I would avoid any kind of character, other than the 128 classic ascii-characters (7bit).

Why? So that everyone can type every name.

Audio just gave us the example: " Méthøðmåñ "  ( <---- copy/pasted this, cause I cannot type ANY of these special characters. Using a standard ANSI US keyboard here)

1/3/unlimited "special" characters allowed is no real difference. Even witwh just one allowed, people couldn't type your "special" name.

JOKE:

+

4 hours ago, mrmr said:

Kinda. I can't type my surname without them :P.

And I ain't seen a server that allows ˇ in the name. ´and ` sure, but that's only half of what I need and the second one of those two is used only by the French anyway :P.

My short answer is that, 90% of the time when people use them, it's for the wrong reasons. And when people do use them, it's a pain in the arse. However, this server is Blizz-like, and as such they will probably be enabled, since that's kinda what Blizzard did. It's only áéúíó as far as I'm aware anyway.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

I can't really explain it but I hate seeing those characters in names. None of the meat vendors or wand sellers have those kind of special names, neither should a player.

Should be maximum two special characters per name. And I should be easily for people with english keyboard to re-type. Like "ü, è, -,`, ', ö" and not like "ø,æ,å". 

Edited by Heradon

Ok so what I'm seeing here from some people is "If I don't know how to do it and someone else does, it shouldn't be allowed" ?

If I don't know how to install or use addons should they all be banned? Should I have the right to take away your personal preference?  You could argue that my specialy character name effects YOUR gaming experience, but I could say the same about your addons, it could be a simple UI, or raid, or pvp addon that gives you an advantage over someone who doesn't know how to use them.  Are you so special that you can't play the game without these things?

These servers can't suck in players by claiming to be Blizz-like, then start making QOL changes to people who are upset about things that are Blizz-like, that is a slippery slope that has led us to where retail is now. 

There's a huge difference between someone using an addon and someone being unable to communicate properly with someone because their name has unusable or unspellable letters for a standard keyboard.

It's like saying we should allow any language in world chat, because fuck it, someone is able to understand it.

1 hour ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

This server is Blizz-like, and as such they will probably be enabled, since that's kinda what Blizzard did. It's only áéúíó as far as I'm aware anyway.

I am not sure at 100%, but this is half true as far as I know.

Blizzard permitted those in the EU region, but in the US region "specials" were disabled.

7 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Ok so what I'm seeing here from some people is "If I don't know how to do it and someone else does, it shouldn't be allowed" ?

If I don't know how to install or use addons should they all be banned? Should I have the right to take away your personal preference?  You could argue that my specialy character name effects YOUR gaming experience, but I could say the same about your addons, it could be a simple UI, or raid, or pvp addon that gives you an advantage over someone who doesn't know how to use them.  Are you so special that you can't play the game without these things?

These servers can't suck in players by claiming to be Blizz-like, then start making QOL changes to people who are upset about things that are Blizz-like, that is a slippery slope that has led us to where retail is now. 

I wonder, what do you think about cyrillic names?

9 minutes ago, windslav said:

I wonder, what do you think about cyrillic names?

I think everything in moderation, and when in doubt,  what did Blizzard think about cyrillic names?

Just now, Crowley said:

I think everything in moderation, and when in doubt,  what did Blizzard think about cyrillic names?

We can't make a separate server for cyrillic and another one for special symbols and yet another one without any of that, as Blizzard did.

26 minutes ago, Crowley said:

If I don't know how to install or use addons should they all be banned? Should I have the right to take away your personal preference?  You could argue that my specialy character name effects YOUR gaming experience, but I could say the same about your addons, it could be a simple UI, or raid, or pvp addon that gives you an advantage over someone who doesn't know how to use them.  

Suppose I log in and the name I want is taken. By your arguments, why shouldn't I be able to spell it in cyrillic?

6 minutes ago, windslav said:

We can't make a separate server for cyrillic and another one for special symbols and yet another one without any of that, as Blizzard did.

Suppose I log in and the name I want is taken. By your arguments, why shouldn't I be able to spell it in cyrillic?

If you want to paint this with a black or white brush, then I'd say you should be able to.  If you can type it, it should be fair game.  Any name resorts to keystrokes in the end anyways.

We generally prefer a clean database without any special characters else queries and web code needs special "exceptions", also some addons don't work properly.

However, there is no final decision yet regarding this matter.

46 minutes ago, Crogge said:

We generally prefer a clean database without any special characters else queries and web code needs special "exceptions", also some addons don't work properly.

However, there is no final decision yet regarding this matter.

I fully respect that.  Obviosuly at the end of the day I want you guys to do what's best for you.

I just want to point out as far as the personal preference side of things go, we live in a world where it's a lot easier to take things a way anytime some gets upset or offended by something.  There are always more options than just keeping it - or just completely erasing it.   I'll reference retail again, people wanted things removed and simplified to the point where things become easier for them, and things progressively turned bland and homogenized.  Sometimes it's the things that aren't simple and dumbed-down that bring the variety to our lives. I've always preferred freedom and choice over comfy safe-spaces but I understand that there are all kinds of people out there.

Like windslav said, if "specials" are permitted then also cyrillic AND chinese AND korean should.

Don't you see any problem with that?

That's not freedom from PoV.

If these other "charsets" are permitted the only thing they will bring would be CLOSED communities. No one in his/her/its right mind would try/be_able to address one of those players....and as a result they will play with their own community only.

It's not something I would like.

4 minutes ago, mrmr said:

Like windslav said, if "specials" are permitted then also cyrillic AND chinese AND korean should.

If these other "charsets" are permitted the only thing they will bring would be CLOSED communities. No one in his/her/its right mind would try/be_able to address one of those players....and as a result they will play with their own community only.

Yeah, I've a problem with that because I can't easily rewrite it with an english keyboard. Names like " Leön, Leon-, Leon' " Can easily be written by anyone, but cyrillic or chinese can't.

12 minutes ago, mrmr said:

Now that's confusing accents for language-specific symbols.

Different stuff. Ř isn't ß. The latter is allowed, btw :P.

Edited by Xaverius

35 minutes ago, mrmr said:

That's like saying if you allow one addon, you have to allow all addons.  When they clearly state some can be used and some you can get banned for.  This doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal.  By special characters I didn't mean cyrillic, chinese and Korean.  I did say if I was forced to allow ALL or NONE, I'll always side with whatever side gives the player more control over their experience.

There will be plenty of players to group with even if you ignored everyone with a special character in their name.  I played retail from vanilla to wrath, and played on Nost, Kronos 1 & 2 and never ever had someone with a special character in their name effect my gaming experience in a negative way.  If you are seeing a reoccuring issue with the need to report people, perhaps you should look at the common denominator?

I'm really seeing a mindset shift in the world where people are not open to anything that they don't like.  They want it instantly gone.  Not seeing things from the other perspective, no compromising.  Your safe space is going to be a shoebox by the time you're done pruning the world around you.

Life is about choices. The choice to do something, the choice to not do something, the choice to acknowledge something, the choice to ignore something.  Do not fear the option to make your own decision without having the need to limit others.

Edited by Crowley
typo

2 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Do not fear the option to make your own decision without having the need to limit others.

Aaaaand then you want to limit others by making it harder for them to remember, address and ignore certain people, many of whom picked special symbols exactly for that reason.

You seem to forget that the name is there not for YOU, it's for other players. I expect names like "afghhmhmhmg" are not allowed, either. Even were they allowed, their use would still be inconsiderate of other players.

Life is indeed about choices. You could, for example, choose a new name should your old one get taken in the very first day.

3 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Ř isn't ß. The latter is allowed, btw :P.

Is the latter even used in more than one language?

edit

To make this post relevant: I think names should be as plain and readable/writable as possible. Légolas and Legolás is not only confusing but also quite ridiculous.

Edited by Murok