Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crowley

Will Crestfall allow special characters in names?

63 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, windslav said:

Aaaaand then you want to limit others by making it harder for them to remember, address and ignore certain people, many of whom picked special symbols exactly for that reason.

You seem to forget that the name is there not for YOU, it's for other players. I expect names like "afghhmhmhmg" are not allowed, either. Even were they allowed, their use would still be inconsiderate of other players.

Life is indeed about choices. You could, for example, choose a new name should your old one get taken in the very first day.

It's not me limiting their ability to learn or adapt to new things.  Next time I fail a test I'll blame the school for making it too difficult, instead of me rising up and actually learning. This is the soul of evolutioin.  Some people are stepping stones, some people are the people who adapt and use the stepping stones to further their progress.

My name is not for anybody but myself.  It would be the same whether anyone else was on the server or not.  Are you going to ask the entire playerbase permission to use any of your toons name? Or are you just going to create one you want and hop in the world?  Let me know please.

And you are right, I could choose a new name, or I can choose to keep it.  See the magic in choice?  What you want to do is completely shut down half of how that works.  I don't expect you to understand, and I don't expect you to learn because that would be hard and hard things should just be erased.

6 minutes ago, spazyspaz said:

Hey.  Some of us have accents like that in our names in real life.  

Sounds like your parents should've asked permission before they named you.  Your name is for everyone else after all.

Just now, Crowley said:

Sounds like your parents should've asked permission before they named you.  Your name is for everyone else after all.

Not at all.  They had their right to name me properly.   I was given a french name and so they used accents for my name.  However, I personally avoid using those special characters online unless i really wanted a name and just need to put an accent on the e to make it.

35 minutes ago, Murok said:

To make this post relevant: I think names should be as plain and readable/writable as possible. Légolas and Legolás is not only confusing but also quite ridiculous.

Agreed. In my opinion, special characters are annoying as fuck and should be purged from existence on Crestfall. No one should have to cater to the fact that others are either too slow to snag the more common names, or lack the imagination to create an original one. 

38 minutes ago, Murok said:

Is the latter even used in more than one language?

In the language of demons German I think. Dunno why would Blizzard allow it.

Just now, Xaverius said:

In the language of demons German I think. Dunno why would Blizzard allow it.

I know it's German. And I doubt that anyone else uses it. I just was (and still am) not sure, that's why I asked.

1 hour ago, Murok said:

Is the latter even used in more than one language?

edit

To make this post relevant: I think names should be as plain and readable/writable as possible. Légolas and Legolás is not only confusing but also quite ridiculous.

Oh as long you think it's ridiculous, let's just take away the option for everyone.  Is there anything else we can delete for your convenience while we are at it?
Trim trim trim, easy easy easy. This is retails formula by the way, and look how that's turning out.

16 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Oh as long you think it's ridiculous, let's just take away the option for everyone.  Is there anything else we can delete for your convenience while we are at it?
Trim trim trim, easy easy easy. This is retails formula by the way, and look how that's turning out.

I will be able to live with a server that allows special characters, I just stated my opinion. In the end I don't give a shit because special characters will not impair the quality of my overall Crestfall experience. I get the feeling that you might not be as cool about that topic. Take a deep breath and let the discussion take it's course. You don't need to convince everybody (which I doubt you will if you continue using metaphors and analogies instead of arguments).

I'm confused as to how special characters are somehow the harbingers of terribad names. You will still see heaps of trash tier cringe names with or without special characters. 

1 hour ago, Dawnstorm said:

I'm confused as to how special characters are somehow the harbingers of terribad names. You will still see heaps of trash tier cringe names with or without special characters. 

I don't think that's the issue for most of the people objecting.

Problem is one of interaction.

Enforcing English as the public channel language is also "discriminatory" at its core if you don't take extenuating circumstances into consideration.

But it is enforced because we don't all speak Esperanto, so English is selected as the baseline.

By the same token, names that a sizeable chunk of the player population can't type without jumping through hoops limits interaction unilaterally (every person that has a keyboard capable of typing extended characters can type ascii, not every person that can type ascii can type extended chars).

Meaning things like /who are limited, taking it further even ticketing is made harder.

Btw, I'm not bothered personally either way, it's a minor inconvenience at worse for me, there are ways to workaround the issue for technically minded people, I just don't agree that it's a "dumbing down the game" or "muh freedoms of expression" issue :P

Edited by Roadblock

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

It's not me limiting their ability to learn or adapt to new things.  Next time I fail a test I'll blame the school for making it too difficult, instead of me rising up and actually learning. This is the soul of evolutioin.  Some people are stepping stones, some people are the people who adapt and use the stepping stones to further their progress.

My name is not for anybody but myself.  It would be the same whether anyone else was on the server or not.  Are you going to ask the entire playerbase permission to use any of your toons name? Or are you just going to create one you want and hop in the world?  Let me know please.

And you are right, I could choose a new name, or I can choose to keep it.  See the magic in choice?  What you want to do is completely shut down half of how that works.  I don't expect you to understand, and I don't expect you to learn because that would be hard and hard things should just be erased.

Everyone knows how to type the special characters. It's just very inconvenient. Special symbols are not always easy to notice, too.

Your name on the server is there to help other people identify you. Why aren't you arguing to be able to create many characters with the same name? After all, that's the real freedom-destroyer here.

I personally am going to create a name that has not already been taken and is easy to read. If you don't want to permit the use of that name, you have only to log in and create a character using it.

The magic of choice is substantially cut down by the fact that one's choice is always limited by initial circumstances and expected consequences. Though I guess it's not going to be limited by the innate considerateness of your character.

9 hours ago, Dawnstorm said:

Darkslayer
Killshadow
Xxdarkxx
Dangerkill
Killdark
Shadowcz

And all other permutations of these you can think of.

Now, since there was a talk about real life names, I do make a point of including all the diacritics if possible on the odd occassion that I am required to put it in on an English site. Because fuck you, it's in a different language, I'm not gonna take it and conform to your, more primitive one.

Also ingame, press enter, shift-click on someone's name in the chat, et voilà (look, an accent, triggered yet?), there's the name.

Edited by Xaverius

I'm for allowing special characters in names. What if I want to name my character after LotR stuff? Not everyone is going to abuse it just to be the next Pussyxslayer...

1 hour ago, ilovecats said:

I'm for allowing special characters in names. What if I want to name my character after LotR stuff? Not everyone is going to abuse it just to be the next Pussyxslayer...

Bah! That's what I was going to name my main! 

Maybe I'll just go with Slayinxpussy. Totally different

My language has special characters. Although retail wow allows using (some of) them in character names, I choose names which don't contain any of them so that the community could type my name when needed without any trouble. Yes, you don't have to type the name of the person whom you want to report / invite / add; you can simply right click his/her name or portrait to do those. But for instance, there might be a time where you want to submit a bug report or a support ticket in which you'll have to mention other players. If their names have special characters which you can't type, that won't make things easy for you.

I remember back in cataclysm asking a guildie if he could unlock some lockboxes for me. He told me to mail them to his rogue alt which he named Venom where the letter o had a sign on top like ` . I had thought that once I typed Ven, the rest of the name would automatically pop up (because it was usually the case, maybe because of Postal addon) but it didn't. I couldn't find any other easy methods to type it either, so I had to find that special character in the character map and copy/paste it from there.

I'm not against the freedom of using special characters in names. I'm simply on the side of keeping it in moderation for the sake of an easier interaction with others.

On 2016-12-19 at 10:34 AM, mrmr said:

Considering how Crestfall will be a "world" server, I would avoid any kind of character, other than the 128 classic ascii-characters (7bit).

Why? So that everyone can type every name.

Audio just gave us the example: " Méthøðmåñ "  ( <---- copy/pasted this, cause I cannot type ANY of these special characters. Using a standard ANSI US keyboard here)

1/3/unlimited "special" characters allowed is no real difference. Even witwh just one allowed, people couldn't type your "special" name.

JOKE:

Are you so "special kids" that you need "special characters"?

That is wrong, you can use alt codes Ø, for example have num lock on then hold ALT and type 0216 and you'll get Ø. Sure it's not simple etc but it's doable, and you can just copy the players name

i actually hate special characters and love them at the same time.

its a toss up for me.

Posted (edited)

If you want to allow 30+ variations of Legolas why even bother disallowing people from using the same name? Why not name every hunter automatically Legolas?

Also...

Şpèçïáł čhãŕąçťêřş đėfíņïţéłý ïņţëńšîfý ťhè çåňćēŗ wìťhïñ.

Edited by Clavus

God you have no idea how much I hate trying to invite people with special letters in their name... I sometimes don't invite them at all.

Don't allow names like Xiao etc so the chinamen dont invade

I just have to nod in agreement. Keep it simple. No special characters.

Everyone should be able to write every name, imo.