Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 12/19/2016

32 posts in this topic

Get well soon, Rodeg. Thanks for the update, Darkrasp, it's been tough to sit tight with all the vanilla hype right now.

You're a pretty good writer! I enjoy your written work. Too bad that publishing (at least here in North America) is purely a scam, or I'd suggest you try to get paid writing work.

And thank you for such a detailed update. Frontline client liaison has never been one of the top skills of computing people, but your skill at it is exceptionally good. It's rare to find a technical person with so much technical skill who doesn't have a social deficit, and on this website you're definitely a social asset.

And thanks for tackling warriors and pallies first! Those are the classes I've most loved in retail (even if I'm piddling around with hunters now) and you're tempting me to roll warrior and pally on here. :D

It's certainly nice to be part of the beta team. Makes it seem all the more real to me. =)

That being said, thank you for the update! It is lovely to see what is being done going public and being transparent about the progress. It makes the community feel valued, which matters greatly in projects such as this. Again, thank you! 

43 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

If you aren't one of the first ten, don't sweat it.

Too late! Already sweatted all the sweats  :stare:

Joking. Anyway, thank you for the update - I hope these beta testers can help you tweak Warriors and Paladins to be as awesome as possible come open beta or launch day...I can see why you started with these two classes. I've seen more bitching about them in particular as opposed to any others.  Anyway, so glad to hear that Rodeg is doing better! I wish him a fast and speedy recovery to 100% health. 

Thanks again for everything the devs do...really looking forward to playing on CF sometime in 2029 because looking at all the Elysium/Nost screenshots of people waiting in line for mobs is just stressing me out. :P 

I can understand warriors getting 5 beta testers, but paladins? Are they really worth the effort? Because if Paladins are bugged then Shamans....

You're going to need 300 beta testers to sort out Shamans as a direct comparison :D

In the meantime, great to hear Rodeg is on the mend and....

...well done to our new beta testers, congratulations on passing the audition even you alliance scum

2 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

The last thing to do is just to make sure that players are getting the proper refunds for rage and energy when their special attacks miss the target. 

Make sure it also applies to Dodges, Parries & Immunes ;). And make sure it doesn't apply to finishing moves for Rogues, like it's the case on Kronos!

2 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

I'm going with the 0.91/0.99 reduction formula, because that's the one the data matches up with best.  There is some evidence that it could be a 1.0/1.0 formula,

Could you elaborate a bit on that? Haven't got the graphs and formulas with me right now, but basically, what formula are you gonna use? The one Nostalrius used, "Athan's" formula with a hard cap at 315 ? The one with a hard at 310 ? Another one ? :)

Yellow attacks will refund on miss/immune but not dodge/parry, according to the notes I have.  That not correct?  I haven't looked at the code yet, but if you can confirm it, let me know so I know what to look for.

Edit:  Looked into this.  Seems warriors got a full refund on dodge/parry/immune.  Rogues get an 80% refund on dodge/miss/immune.  I'll check for this.

As far as the glancing blow formula, I'm going with one that caps out at 5% average reduction at 310 weapon skill.  I'll PM you with details, I wrote them out here and this turned into a post half the size of my update filled with technical information.  :D

Edited by Darkrasp

Thanks for the update. Love reading them and lurking around the forums from time to time. Can't wait to see how it all works when the server officially launches.

about the item stats, i've prolly missed the discussion, we will have the prebuff stats of items at launch like nost had?

13 minutes ago, Chizzum said:

about the item stats, i've prolly missed the discussion, we will have the prebuff stats of items at launch like nost had?

All the relevant stuff is in the pre-buff state, and they've also gone to the trouble of using pre-buff style random green stats.

Thanks for the update. Your efforts to get everything right, even if it takes longer, are much appreciated, especially after leveling on Nost and seeing that the nelf zones are even buggier than on Kronos 2.

Edited by Lilaina

8 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

Thanks for the update. Your efforts to get everything right, even if it takes longer, are much appreciated, especially after leveling on Nost and seeing that the nelf zones are even buggier than on Kronos 2.

You mean improved and 110 % blizzlike.

Also yes, our prospects of the future are indeed good. Of course we won't be 100 % blizzlike, that's impossible simply because of all the patch transitions and missing data. But, as some people on the private server scene, myself included, tried in the past, Crestfall too tries to be as good as possible.

Though the skill and research utilized is much greater than the majority of the other servers' staff (myself included) did before.

I'm concerned that it appears none of the Paladin beta testers are actually active in the fledgling Paladin community on the forums here at Crestfall.

Doubly concerning that it seems none of the Holy Paladin theorycrafters were picked. While I'm mainly interested in ret and prot they can both realistically wait until bugs with core class functionality are fixed, but it's concerning that no one from the main spec (holy) community has been chosen to test.

39 minutes ago, Elicas said:

I'm concerned that it appears none of the Paladin beta testers are actually active in the fledgling Paladin community on the forums here at Crestfall.

Doubly concerning that it seems none of the Holy Paladin theorycrafters were picked. While I'm mainly interested in ret and prot they can both realistically wait until bugs with core class functionality are fixed, but it's concerning that no one from the main spec (holy) community has been chosen to test.

Applicants for Paladin Testing had to meet a few criteria.. first, they had to indicate that they wanted to test paladins specifically.  If they said instead that they wanted to test questing or PvP, then they are going to get reserved for those phases.  We also needed them to actually apply, and then verify their email address.  Some of the people who indicated a strong knowledge of Paladins indicated an even higher knowledge of another class, and have been shortlisted for that phase instead.

I don't want to give away details from people's applications because they include confidential information in some cases, but I can assure you that at least one of the testers accepted is a very experienced holy paladin.

8 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Applicants for Paladin Testing had to meet a few criteria.. first, they had to indicate that they wanted to test paladins specifically.  If they said instead that they wanted to test questing or PvP, then they are going to get reserved for those phases.  We also needed them to actually apply, and then verify their email address.  Some of the people who indicated a strong knowledge of Paladins indicated an even higher knowledge of another class, and have been shortlisted for that phase instead.

I don't want to give away details from people's applications because they include confidential information in some cases, but I can assure you that at least one of the testers accepted is a very experienced holy paladin.

Fair enough. My post wasn't meant to question your selection techniques, more a concern that the people who are effectively the representatives of the Paladin class seem to have no input in the class forum whatsoever. While the beta is under NDA, we can still feedback suggestions of things to test and get a feel of how the beta is going via the people responsible for testing the classes we're interested in. That's exceptionally difficult to do if they aren't actually active in the community.

18 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Yellow attacks will refund on miss/immune but not dodge/parry, according to the notes I have.  That not correct?  I haven't looked at the code yet, but if you can confirm it, let me know so I know what to look for.

Edit:  Looked into this.  Seems warriors got a full refund on dodge/parry/immune.  Rogues get an 80% refund on dodge/miss/immune.  I'll check for this.

As far as the glancing blow formula, I'm going with one that caps out at 5% average reduction at 310 weapon skill.  I'll PM you with details, I wrote them out here and this turned into a post half the size of my update filled with technical information.  :D

Thank you for your detailed PM @Darkrasp ; and thank you too @Soyoen. I don't have time to get into them right now. I took a glance at them and will read them more thoroughly in the next few days if I can or this week-end.

Darkrasp, regarding Energy refund, yes I'm pretty sure Parries should be concerned. I might be wrong but I think if I'm right I'll be able to find sources quite easily. Will keep you updated. Regarding the refund, it don't think it's a sharp 80%. A "refunded" SS should cost 7 Energy, a refunded BS 11. which is around 17% cost.

Can't tell for sure atm if the Energy Cost reduction from the Imp. SS Talent has an impact (my guess would be no, but that is to be determined with sources ; it's actually damn hard to find movie where a Rogue uses un-talented SS though). Don't know about Hemo or Gouge, would have to look at videos too, I guess the 17-20% formula stands but getting the exact amount would be more Blizz-like.

Useful (but incomplete) information on the matter can be found here, if you don't already know that site : http://roguecrap.blogspot.fr/2006/03/energy-regeneration-oddities.html

Regards

Sipping morning tea and reading through @Darkrasp's updates are indeed very enjoyable activities! Thank you and congratulations to the first Beta Testers! May Elune light your path! :) 

@Youfie
My updated notes on this are as follows:

Warriors get a full rage refund on dodge/parry/immune special attacks. 80% refund on miss.  No refund on block/absorb/resist.
Rogues get an 80% energy refund on dodge/parry/miss/immune special attacks.  No refund on block/absorb/resist.

That's what I think I'm going to go with unless people can provide evidence to the contrary.

2 hours ago, Youfie said:

Thank you for your detailed PM @Darkrasp ; and thank you too @Soyoen. I don't have time to get into them right now. I took a glance at them and will read them more thoroughly in the next few days if I can or this week-end.

Darkrasp, regarding Energy refund, yes I'm pretty sure Parries should be concerned. I might be wrong but I think if I'm right I'll be able to find sources quite easily. Will keep you updated. Regarding the refund, it don't think it's a sharp 80%. A "refunded" SS should cost 7 Energy, a refunded BS 11. which is around 17% cost.

Can't tell for sure atm if the Energy Cost reduction from the Imp. SS Talent has an impact (my guess would be no, but that is to be determined with sources ; it's actually damn hard to find movie where a Rogue uses un-talented SS though). Don't know about Hemo or Gouge, would have to look at videos too, I guess the 17-20% formula stands but getting the exact amount would be more Blizz-like.

Useful (but incomplete) information on the matter can be found here, if you don't already know that site : http://roguecrap.blogspot.fr/2006/03/energy-regeneration-oddities.html

Regards

talents that affect energy cost of abilities should occur prior to the 80% refund.

so imp SS should refund less energy than 0 imp SS since SS talented costs less energy. etc etc.

same case with any warrior abilities/ferals and so on.

for example.

45 energy for SS rank 5   45*80%= 36 energy refunded

imp SS (-3/-6 energy) 

1/2 = 42*80% = 33.6 >rounded to 34 energy

2/2 = 39*80% = 31.2 > rounded to 31 or 32 energy (dependant on server math) refunded.

i have a nice little rogue list of stuff to test too when we get some rogue beta testers. :)

i hope you applied @Youfie  :D

Edited by imbaslap