Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arjun07

What is your all time favorite video game?

38 posts in this topic

Hmmmmm, had to think about this one.

I would say hands down Final Fantasy XI. It was the game that introduced me to MMOs and I met many great people there, creating memories I won't forget.

Honorable mentions goes to Grandia II, it's the first game that had a story that was so good, so involved, and made me feel like I was actually a part of it, that when *spoilery stuff happens* I actually felt like I had seriously been wronged.

Impossible to narrow down to just one.

WoW is the best mmorpg with the most /played for me

Metroid Prime has the best boss fights and level design

Planescape: Torment has the best story

Witcher 3 (Hearts of Stone DLC especially) is the best modern "Cinematic" RPG

Baldur's Gate Trilogy the overall best RPG

Portal best gameplay

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl best atmosphere

Mario Kart: Double Dash best party video game

The Adventures of Lomax purely because of nostalgia

Modding complicates things further. Skyrim probably has the potential to be the best game ever with the right combination of mods. Baldur's Gate's gameplay is second to none after installing SCS.

Edited by Lilaina

It is impossible for me to say I have a favourite video game but I will instead give the most outstanding game in terms of having the largest impact on my gaming life:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)

As this was the first game which I would sink serious time into and would begin my love of RPG games.

Edited by Revan

Although it is nigh impossible for me to pick just one, I would have to say Planescape. Although it might be just me with nostalgia goggles on, the story was mesmerizing and I will never forget the feeling it gave me.

Honorable mention goes to Dragon Age: Origins, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate Series, Icewind Dale Series and of course Wow(especially TBC).

15 minutes ago, Revan said:

It is impossible for me to say I have a favourite video game but I will instead give the most outstanding game in terms of having the largest impact on my gaming life:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)

As this was the first game which I would sink serious time into and would begin my love of RPG games.

Kotor definitely had one of the best plot twists in any game (Planescape: Torment's "Don't trust the xxxxx" is better though) but the gameplay and camera were just awful imo.

7 minutes ago, Mal Do'Urden said:

Although it is nigh impossible for me to pick just one, I would have to say Planescape. Although it might be just me with nostalgia goggles on, the story was mesmerizing and I will never forget the feeling it gave me.

Not nostalgia. I played it for the first time 3 years ago and found it to be better than any modern bioware rpg.

Can't pick just one overall. Even the several that I'm about to list are hard picks.

Gothic 1 and 2 for best progression and combat. Yes, the combat in the first two Gothic games is among my favorites when it comes to action games. Having to time my attacks, dodges and blocks was great. Yes, it kinda kills the RPG feel when my skill means more than my character's stats but that's what the game set out to do anyway. Then again, that was balanced in a little bit. No matter how good I was, the fact that my character was swinging his sword as if his arms were wet noodles in the beginning was a bit of a problem. That's where the character progression comes in. Getting new combat animations (that have an effect on performance as well) as I advance in the ranks of either one or two handed weaponry felt great. That combined with other things made the progression in the game it's number one feature. 

Payday 2 for being the most broken piece of shit game I've ever played for being my go-to for utterly braindead action. The game is a bit hard to stomach for a lot of people since it's... well, it's fucking terrible. But if you can look past some bad marketing, bugs, overall shoddiness of animations, balance and the game engine itself you get (what is in my opinion) one of the best action shooters out there. The music that fits the action perfectly, the stupid amounts of manpower sent after you in waves, the teamwork, the ammo/hostage/lootbag management. Think of it as a sand pit for adults. Yes, it's dirty and it really sucks when the sand gets in your mouth, but it's also a ton of fun if you give it a chance.

Team Fortress 2 for reasons everyone is familiar with. There's nothing I can say about this game that hasn't been said before and in better wording than anything I'll be able to spew out. Perhaps because I don't like the direction the developers took it or because I'm simply burnt out on it I've stopped playing now. Still, the shameful amount of hours I spent in that game are some of my favorite out of any game. It truly was the most fun I've had online. Well, on par with Vanilla WoW.

Hotline Miami 1. The second one (despite it's dog shit levels) is also great but it doesn't quite beat the first one. "Qualiy over quantity" is in play here so it's a mere 4 hours (with lots of deaths), however it certainly doesn't spare anything else. The story (which is also one of the highlights of the second game), the gameplay, the levels, the music and the pixel graphics are all great. As much as I love Planescape Torment, Hotline Miami takes it's place for best story. Yes, there's a huge difference between a heavy fantasy world like PT and an alternate timeline to our world like that of HM but I have to make a pick for the list. It's on the list mostly for it's tight gameplay.

Borderlands 2 is the reason I get an erection every time I hear the word "loot". Did you know that's my favorite word? "Loot". Well now you know. Of course it also has a great story, the gameplay is tight for the most part (if you don't mind your build and weapon options becoming more and more limited as you progess), the soundtrack is one of my favorites and the main villain is considered by many to be one of the best. The first game is also great but for me the second takes the cake. There's also the pre-sequel... we don't talk about the pre-sequel.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall. It should be noted that as of writing this, Shadowrun: Dragonfall is the only Shadowrun game I have played. Perhaps I'll like Returns or Hong Kong more, however, even if that ends up being the case I highly doubt any character I encounter in those games will become as dear to me as the several that managed that in this game. This game gets my number 1 spot for memorable NPCs. Of course, the gameplay and story are both great. The game shines with the way it allows players to make choices that directly effect the gameplay. Sadly (or perhaps for the better) the ending isn't heavily effected by any of the choices made, but instead the game does. Most of these choices will obviously happen during diologue  which means that not all characters will be able to make the same choices. The game is FULL of skillchecks (just how I like it) many of which are needed for a certain option to be available. I won't get into detail about what makes the characters great since I both lack the dictionary and it'll be uselss anyway. I highly suggest playing the game and seeing what my praise goes to. Let's just say this is one of those games that lets you bond with your party members. Remember befriending your party members and hearing their stories in KOTOR? Get ready for something like that. 

That turned out to be longer than I expected. It could get even worse but thankfully I looked up and saw the unwanted wall of text. Ah well, enjoy the read, sucker!

Edited by VeloxBanks

After wow...

Dragon Force for sega saturn. Someone here has an avatar of one of the characters from that game. 

I'm a sucker for some Zelda too. Legend of Zelda, Link to the past and Ocarina all hold high places in my heart. 

FF Vl... part 3 for us americans. 

Super Metroid. 

Kotor definately deserves a mention. 

And the GOAT: Morrowind. Oh the freedom...

Oh, and dark souls deserve an honorable mention. If I wasn't garbage at them, I'd rank them higher. DS1, DS 2 and Bloodbourne are all masterpieces. Bloodbourne might have been the best, but god help me, I couldn't do it. (F you Rom! You win, I quit)

To answer this question is impossibru.

That said, I can tell you several games that I really quite like, games that I find myself returning to regularly. Without any particular order: Beyond Good & Evil, Morrowind (the best 3D RPG in TES series), Warcraft III, Spellforce (which is a terrible game and a wonderful game at the same time, it's incredible), Freelancer, AquaNox (2 especially).

Exalted mentions go to Heroes of Might and Magic III and Diablo II, which, while I don't replay that regularly, I keep installed, and consider both the best in their respective series and paramount for their respective genres.

5 hours ago, Lilaina said:

Not nostalgia. I played it for the first time 3 years ago and found it to be better than any modern bioware rpg.

Is this under the assumption that you have played NWN?

1 hour ago, Ugondiss said:

Oh, and dark souls deserve an honorable mention. 

WORD.. or possible one of my fav...

33 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

To answer this question is impossibru.

That said, I can tell you several games that I really quite like, games that I find myself returning to regularly. Without any particular order: Beyond Good & Evil, Morrowind (the best 3D RPG in TES series), Warcraft III, Spellforce (which is a terrible game and a wonderful game at the same time, it's incredible), Freelancer, AquaNox (2 especially).

Exalted mentions go to Heroes of Might and Magic III and Diablo II, which, while I don't replay that regularly, I keep installed, and consider both the best in their respective series and paramount for their respective genres.

Fixed that for you!

Myself have to honestly say... Ghost Recon (Original Series) OR--possibly 'and'- COD 2(WWII) for my favorite shooters. Morrowind is a freaking GEM and Dark Souls 1 and 2 are just.... <3 

World of Warcraft would probably be my all time favorite because of how long I played it, who I played with, and the little that I accomplished haha

Honorable Mentions: Dragon Age 1, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six(1, Rogue Spear, and Black Thorn), Zelda: Ocarina of Time......  I'll probably Edit this and add some..

8 hours ago, Ugondiss said:

Dragon Force for sega saturn. Someone here has an avatar of one of the characters from that game. 

Not very often do I run across one person that knows the greatness of Dragon Force in one place on the internet, but two? That's never happened before! I picked Teiris as my first character myself, funny enough.

Mount & blade: Warband C-rpg mod & vanilla wow share the spot of favourites for me. Other then that I play some world of tanks & Minecraft.

It's called Gothic II.

That series was my first experience with RPG videogames.

On 12/23/2016 at 1:52 PM, Lilaina said:

Mario Kart: Double Dash best party video game

QFT. When I was at uni I worked part time in a cinema. We had a GC in the break room and would skip eating to play DD instead. 

And to answer the OP, my all time favourite game is Monkey Island 2. The game that taught me English! I was 10 or 11 I think. Was totally worth playing it again 15 years later with a DOS emulator, because I got all the jokes the second time around :D 

7 hours ago, imbaslap said:

Megaman X and Metroid Prime were mine.

Metroid Prime <3

I would say Gothic, for it's overall feeling, Gothic 2 too. One of the best RPGs I have ever played. It was popularne only in Germany, Poland and Russia. 

Warcraft 3 too, of course. One of my first games. 

Fable: The Lost Chapters was great too, but it never got the love it deserved. 

Whole series of Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill both Konami production and  My 1st games for PS1 back in 1998. I simply love it :D

I doubt anyone played this competitively, or even played it period.

~ Return to Castle Wolfenstein's online "Enemy Territory"

The command and conquer series is also notable (second place), but the mechanics and adrenaline of Enemy Territory was the bomb back in its prime.