Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fruitsalad

Shadow Focus

The talent Shadow Focus reduces the chance to resist my shadow spells by 2/4/6/8/10%. I have a few questions in order to decide how many points I'd put into this.

If my target has 0 shadow resistance how high is the base chance to resist a spell if we both have the same level?

How does level difference between me and my target affect base resistance?

If my target would partially resist a damaging spell would it take 10% more damage if I have 5 points in Shadow Focus?

Are there many mobs around that have a shadow resistance above 0? In your experience is it an issue when leveling as shadow priest?

Edited by fruitsalad
spelling

9 hours ago, fruitsalad said:

The talent Shadow Focus reduces the chance to resist my shadow spells by 2/4/6/8/10%. I have a few questions in order to decide how many points I'd put into this.

If my target has 0 shadow resistance how high is the base chance to resist a spell if we both have the same level?

How does level difference between me and my target affect base resistance?

If my target would partially resist a damaging spell would it take 10% more damage if I have 5 points in Shadow Focus?

Are there many mobs around that have a shadow resistance above 0? In your experience is it an issue when leveling as shadow priest?

Hi Fruitsalad,

If your spell "misses" the target you will get the text "Resist". If your target resists your spell you will also get a "Resist". However, hit/miss and resist/nonresist has nothing to do with each other, they are two separate mechanics. If you spend 5 talent points into Shadow Focus you will increase your chance to hit your opponent with 10%, but the talent won't have any effect on your target's resistances. Resistances are taken into account after the spell is already determined to be a hit.

For every 1 point of resistance you have you get a 0,25% chance of resisting a spell. So if you have 100 shadow resistance you will have a 25% chance of resisting your opponents shadow spell (on top of the chance that the spell will miss in the first place due to lack of Hit). If it's a non-binary spell (Shadow Bolt for example) then you will resist 25% of its damage. If it's a binary spell (Fear for example) you will have a 25% chance of resisting the fear effect. Level differences doesn't affect resistances.

The only way to stop your opponent from resisting your spell is to wear an item that says "Decreases the magical resistances of your target by X" which removes the resistance of your opponent. But it doesn't increase your chance to hit the spell in the first place. And any "Increases your chance to hit with spells by X %"-items (or the Shadow Focus talent) increases your chance to hit the spell at first, but doesn't affect any resistances your target might have. It's two different things calculated after each other.

So to answer your question if it's a good idea to spec into Shadow Focus to combat possible resistances on mobs then no, Shadow Focus will have no effect on any Shadow Resistance you will face. But it will increase your chance to hit the spell before resistances are calculated. The chance to hit a mob the same level as you is 96%, 1 level above 95%, 2 levels above 94% and the chance to hit a mob 3 levels above you is 83%. Meaning you benefit from having up to 3, 4, 5 or 16 +Hit% depending on the level of your target (the last 1% will always be a miss, you can never get more than 99% chance to hit).

I don't know much about Spriest leveling specs so I don't know whether Shadow Focus is an important leveling talent or not, but it's not a resistance-related talent point, it's simply a talent point giving you +Spellhit (even if it might not look like it).

Edited by Topdps

Thanks @Topdps 

The talent description is rather ambiguous if you are inexperienced with how the mechanics are working exactly. Increases your chance to hit with shadow spells by X% would have been much more clearer.

I think I will rarely fight mobs that have a higher level than mine when I'm leveling, so I'll just go with 3 talent points to get my hit chance to 99%. I will use my wand most of the time anyway though it still sucks to miss important stuff like Psychic Scream or Silence. Those I will use when it matters. 

Edited by fruitsalad
spelling

1-2 points should be enough. one point will get u to 98% for a mob of the same level, two will get you to 99% since 1% will always miss anyway.

Edited by Chizzum

It also depends on what you want to substitute the remaining points with. all other talents in the Shadow tree are not that good at the same level, and I really doubt you will not fight mobs one or two levels higher than you.

Cookie cutter spec for SP at 40 is  http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bZZeMgz0tot

even if 2 levels above u only need 3 points the rest id spend in other stuff

Actually correct me if I'm wrong, but for binary spells if your target has some resistances, +Hit beyonds the Hit Cap is effectively reducing your target's resistances.

Like, if you have, say, 105% chance to hit, with a non binary spell it's treated as 99% (hit cap) and then comes the resistance check, but for binary spells it remains 105%, then the resistance check comes, and the final results is capped to 99%, meaning if you your target doesn't have any resistances the 6% extra hit chance are wasted, but if your target has, say, resistances equal to 6% full resist, then 105% * 94% = 0,987, you're basically getting spell penetration with your extra hit.

All of this revolves around the fact that binary spells only have one roll but the amount of hit taken into account in said roll, while caped at 99%, is the product of the hit check & the resistance check which aren't. I might be wrong, I'd have to check some old EJ posts & such but that's what I had in mind.

Edited by Youfie

if u find evidence for it take it up with darkrasp and check how it works currently on CF so we know if something needs changing or not :)

5 hours ago, Chizzum said:

if u find evidence for it take it up with darkrasp and check how it works currently on CF so we know if something needs changing or not :)

Given how simple how a question it is (basically "Is the Hit cap only applied to the final result or also separately at each step for binary spells?"), I'd bet Darkrasp, Imbaslap or beta/alpha testers already have proof that what I wrote above is right or wrong. Unless none of them has done any research on binary spells yet, which would surprise me! Anyway if need be I'll try to find sources regarding my statement, of course.