Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Nocturn

No World/Global Chat

My personal opinion is that having a Global/World chat can actually be a negative for the community as a whole. I understand CF is working on ways to combat gold sellers, and i understand that we want to be able to communicate/trade with everyone but i think disabling this feature would actually be much more beneficial to the community. Why?

1. Not having a global/world encourages people who are in a particular zone to communicate and help one another out and allows for players to interact and build relationships along the way with those that are are the same level or maybe farming the same things. It'l in fact strengthen the community. General chat is usually lost in the vast flood of global chats, yes you can turn it off, but because there is usually a global chat, general is ignored and global becomes a spam fest of everyone from everywhere diluting and making general pretty obsolete.
  2. You can still have Cities chat linked together such as trade/or general where all the different cities would be linked. This encourages trade,recruitment,banter etc just as usual but doesn't run into other players chats while they are experiencing other aspects/zones of the game.
  3. Limits gold Sellers and easier to monitor them and chat in general  

Like i said, im all for a chat where everyone can come together and talk/trade or what not, but i think it needs to be limited so it doesn't ruin and confuse the experience of other players and levelers who don't want to be flooded with WTB/WTS or LFM but instead focused on that particular zone and level. Eventually we spend most of our time in cities anyways and i see no reason why we can't have a "global" chat in that scenario.

Sorry if this has already been posted, i do think i read a while back on something about Chats on this forum, it just popped into my head while playing on another server and felt like posting.

Edited by Nocturn

If there was no world chat, gold sellers would simply stay/move to trade chat.

Or simply spam their own channel invites, which is what they're currently doing on Nost 2. (so the devs will need to combat this too)

But there needs to be some kind of global chat, just for the sake of forming groups. (even if it's the old LFG channel instead of Nost's world chat)

Edited by Momonn

Like I said keep world chat linked when in cities. You can still use general for lfg which would also target specifically players of that level group in that zone and if not, you travel to a city. It's an MMO, you may have to do a tiny bit more work for like traveling if you want to spam LFG, but so what? It's the same argument we use against dungeon/raid finder, we want a more social and MMO feel to a game. 

The argument I'm making is more for personal/player preference, the gold seller problem is something the devs would have to figure out 

I like this suggestion - honestly,  I only ever felt a need for a global channel when a server's population was under 900, as anything else would mean that everyone is spread out so it'd be tougher to find people in general chats. With more than 900, you can talk in general chats and more than likely get a response. I would not miss a global world channel if CF gets the population. 

I agree i dont like worldchat. Often turns in to a imature conversation between players. And people tend to stop using trade or/and LFG channels.

I don't mind world/global chat, cus you have somewhere to constantly communicate with other players and its something you can use to instantly form a group anywhere in the world.
I like the feature and i wouldn't like it being removed.
That's my opinion :P

I would agree with Cell. Global chats, which do change how a realm functions and develops, are pretty much necessary for lower population servers. The answer to why high-pop ones have them feels like just convention. While it definitely has its uses, these uses are not necessarily unique, nor blizzlike, and the channel can be safely assumed to become dumpsters in a high-pop server. In such a case, a lot of people would just leave it. Then, it would become more pointless. By itself, it's also a kind of meta-entity that acts as a reminder that you're not exactly on an authentic WoW server.

Crestfall may do well to have a global channel, or it may not, depending on the size of the crowd -- but this is a difficult choice because it can only be made based on the devs' personal judgement... That said, I am very fond of their sense of judgement (so far).

OP's suggestion sounds like my ideal, but I wouldn't be too quick to say it's the healthiest yet.

It's a private channel, just happens to be named world.

A lot of servers choose to moderate it though, which is not "blizzlike" so to speak.

52 minutes ago, Ciar said:

It's a private channel, just happens to be named world.

A lot of servers choose to moderate it though, which is not "blizzlike" so to speak.

this is a good system

And the anarchy of world chat is what gives servers their charm honestly

"Blizzlike" can't be used and thrown around whenever it is beneficial to a specific argument. I get we all want the closest thing to blizz like emulation but we will/are playing on realms with latest patch talents/armor stats modified and countless other tweaks like raid buffing to "emulate blizz like conditions" to adjust for the vast wealth of knowledge and/or time constraints we and developers have.

It's totally fine if you really feel compelled to keep a global chat but I don't see how what I suggested is any worse and how you can argue against it. Global chat across all cities, general chat for each specific zone. That's the bare bones of it, you can trade and lfg all you want in that general chat too. You will still have that strong community interaction and constant communication with players. Do we all need to be in constant chat with every 12k+players? There are the forums too. I don't need to read LFM Tank BRD while questing in Westfall. I'd much rather communicate with the players in my zone and once I make that travel to a city I can then experience that full immersion of a global entity and spam LFG or WTS to my hearts content.

As we've stated, we do not moderate private chat channels. While it's true that /world or /global have become the norm in private server communities, we do not enforce nor uphold these channels.
That being said, our stance may or may not change regarding this but as of now, we have no plans to block private chat channels.

1 hour ago, fruitsalad said:

Isn't /world just an ordinary channel everybody could create and join? 

13 minutes ago, Roadblock said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I'd like the functionality of custom channels to be available. As I can have a channel with my buddies that are on my friends list but neither in my current group or guild. I rarely joined /world though as the spam there always was unbearable.

Edited by fruitsalad
formatting