Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outstanding

The Outstanding* Guide to Grinding

To emphasis on raid grinding. This is basically what I had to do as a druid healer for BWL nights.

Preperation: X2 stacks of icecaps x2 dreamfoil for major mana poitons 

Mageblood potions (at least 5 per raid) plaguebloom was a bitch to farm 

Brilliant Wizard Oil (2x large brillian shards, x3 purple lotus) 1 stack per raid

Flasks we're 100% optional as black lotus was insanely expensive

Needed to grind an MP5 set for 1 fight... (Chrommagus)

Juju optional but I brought a few

food buff (1 stack)

All in all I made about 50g-60g per raid and all that went right back into my mats. I was an alchemist/herb so it was cheaper for me to farm, but that was 2 hours of dedicated farming. 

If you were a tank it was even worse. Luckily good geared tanks we're a dime a dozen, so most guilds NEEDED to feed their tanks hard. They got 1st dibs on gear, they had mandatory flasks from gbank/profits. Fire resistance gear was a guild wide effort. Thunderfury was reserved to tanks 1st, so they got all the elementium, arcanite bars. 

Tank > healer > dps for difficulty pre raiding. 

A very useful and insightful guide. Thank you for posting this. 

Are people willing to share useful grinding spots / zones that take into account the questing mixed with grinding philosophy that seems to have the best balance for playing quality? I will roll a Priest, not sure which faction yet, and I usually just quest but a bit of included grinding for XP + gold would be useful. 

Grinding is not faster leveling than questing. True, there are not enough quests in vanilla, so that you can't just do quest, quest and quest, especially on Alliance. You have to constantly kill mobs while moving from quest to quest, which you could argue is grinding but hey....

Also you can only really compare speeds within classes, a Hunter grinding Winter Spring Ghost will probably have more XP/H than a Warrior questing. However that Hunter would have significantly less than a Hunter who was just questing at the same level. A Priest (my jam) questing is so much faster than a Priest grinding. However for most classes you have to actually play an "MMO" aka you have to group, you have to explore, you have to do instances. Recently when leveling a Priest I moved zones almost every level as the quests force you to do so on Alliance side. If you don't do instances, don't have rested and don't want to travel than I would say you will get 50% of you're exp from grinding 1-60, even if you do every quest in the game.

I love grinding in MMO's, always have. I can do it for many many hours at a time. It puts me in sort of a meditative trance. It's deeply relaxing.

In fact, MMO's I've tried that don't have many rewards to grind for, are games I quit very quickly.

<3 the grind

Edited by Primal

Good definitive read.

Pro tip: 

Don't tell people your location for making cold.   Give tips, but not the places you go.   Your Whelping farm might be out the window now :)

I share my info on where to grind gold with guild members who are also tanks or healers that can't kill things quickly of higher level.  :ph34r:

On 2016-08-30 at 6:19 PM, Caitlin said:

Grinding is not faster leveling than questing. True, there are not enough quests in vanilla, so that you can't just do quest, quest and quest, especially on Alliance. You have to constantly kill mobs while moving from quest to quest, which you could argue is grinding but hey....

Oh there are more than enough quests in vanilla. This is a common misconception because quests where so spread out between zones you had to constantly switch and come back, people usually ran into a 20-30 zone at level 20 and found themselves without quests to do, when they should've entered at 25.

But as someone who's doing every single quest and loves questing - I do zero grinding and very few dungeons - I honestly thought there were almost to many quests. Ye im not kidding, I outlevel the zones so easily when questing between zones like was intended that I started to log out outside of inns to avoid resting bonus to experience.

Sadly once I got to around level 35, every quest I did was green. When I got to level 50 some quests had turned grey, but I kept doing them anyway because Im completionist.

(This was done on 2 different vanilla servers, from 1-60, horde warrior)

Horde do have a lower amount of quest mid 50s than alliance.

If you focus your Onxyia key pre 60 it isn't as bad though.

7 hours ago, Undertanker said:

Good definitive read.

Pro tip: 

Don't tell people your location for making cold.   Give tips, but not the places you go.   Your Whelping farm might be out the window now :)

I share my info on where to grind gold with guild members who are also tanks or healers that can't kill things quickly of higher level.  :ph34r:

Thank you. I agree with your sentiment, particularly for healers & tanks. 

Brilliant read, though I was kinda hoping for a "go here at x lvl, then here at y lvl" I realized by the end that what you gave me was more like a fishing pole, instead of just giving me the fish ! So, thanks for giving me the ability to fish sir ! I appreciate it :)

-Chode, future UD Warlock.