Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Queeky

What is your favourite aspect of WoW?

30 posts in this topic

Crestfallen,

As 2016 is coming to a close, I'd like to take a moment to remind you of all the nice things you've done in World of Warcraft during your stay in Azeroth.  Whether you were a fabled roleplayer whose emote skills were unmatched, or the best PvPer of all, there is bound to be something that you like the most about this game. What is it, why do you like it, and what interesting things do you have to share about your WoW passion? Whatever it is, we'd love to hear your stories!

I liked to social and lore aspect of WoW a lot.

My first "online" experience was with a FPS game I played a lot but it was 8vs8 so it was always the same people I've talked to.  But then I entered the Barrens for the first time..  So many people to interact with. Each with their own story, attitude and motivation to play this game. After a few months playing you kinda knew who all the people were who shared your interests. You really knew who the person was behind the toon you saw in game. 

And for the lore aspect..  Well..  I'm sure 90% of the people here it started with Orcs and Humans. I found it a "ok" game and just played the campaign a few times without delving deep into the storyline.  But then Tides of Darkness came out.. It immediately triggerd my interest in delving into the lore aspect of the Warcraft universe. And up until the release of Cataclysm it I really liked it a lot. But now my interest in it kind of fades away.. 

Can't name just one, there's too many! In no particular order:

1. Doing achievements during the WotLK pre-patch and the early months of the expansion itself. Especially the 5-man heroic ones that rewarded the red proto drake. The ones like Less-rabi, Gotta Go! and Share the Love were ridiculously difficult but also fun with a group of friends.

2. Epic clashes between the factions in BG:s: AV bridge, middle of EotS, Wintergrasp etc. You get to use the big and expensive AoE spells yay!

3. Transmogging.

4. The quests in pre-cata human zones that deal with all the troubles that different areas are facing. I really like the feeling of a grand conspiracy being going on and how it's all linked together. Also other mysterious quests that often take you all over the world: The Scythe of Elune, It's a Secret to Everybody, The Shadyrest Inn, The Legend of Stalvan etc.

5. Kiting stuff as a hunter.

6. Being an FC as a druid.

7. DK starting area.

8. Epic PvE encounters: Fighting the trolls in ZF at the stairs. Descending to Yogg's prison. Ragnaros fights. Spine of DW and dragons in general. LK. Halls of Reflection. Auchindoun. Kara.

9. All the Ring of Blood group quests.

10. Cooking and fishing.

11. Soloing stuff your not supposed to solo.

12. The music

99. STV as a hunter or a stealth class.

100. Zombie infestation event.

Edited by Lilaina

1 hour ago, Lilaina said:

Can't name just one, there's too many! In no particular order:

1. Doing achievements during the WotLK pre-patch and the early months of the expansion itself. Especially the 5-man heroic ones that rewarded the red proto drake. The ones like Less-rabi, Gotta Go! and Share the Love were ridiculously difficult but also fun with a group of friends.

8. Epic PvE encounters: Fighting the trolls in ZF at the stairs. Descending to Yogg's prison. Ragnaros fights. Spine of DW and dragons in general. LK. Halls of Reflection. Auchindoun. Kara.

I love you <3

The community pretty much. All of it, good and bad. I love the interactions between players whether they be on a negative or positive note.

It wouldn't exactly be all that interesting if the entire community formed one big tea party and got along all of the time. It's nice to see some conflicting attitudes every now and then. On the other hand it's also really nice to see like-mindedness (obviously) even when it's cross-faction. Contrary to what some will say this kind of thing is seen even on PVP servers.

I also love how there are actual consequences for doing things. Good or bad, the things you do will reflect on the rest of the community to some extent. Will you be known for helping people in any way you can, be it by sharing your supplies with them or helping them with quests or will you be known as a "lone wolf" (if you REALLY need to call it that) that keeps to himself and mostly looks after his own interests? Or you could just be known as a jerk, of course.

Fighting alongside or against people, questing with them, talking to them, exploring or simply relaxing in a zone with them, it all just clicks incredibly well. The loot, lore and mechanics of the game are all things I really like as well, however the thing that I look forward to the most is interacting with you all in-game. I can't wait to joke with you, argue with you, quest and fight with you no matter what faction you're from. I can't wait to talk you out of silver you otherwise wouldn't even consider giving me. I can't wait to give you my silver because you helped me out in a tight spot. I can't wait to do whatever we all end up doing together. It's what REALLY makes me want to play this game. As much as I love WoW for it's world, lore and mechanics I can to an extent find these things in other games. Something will be close enough, as ignorant as that statement might be. The community is what I'm not gonna find anywhere else. 

This is the reason why I'll most likely move to whatever realm is most populated (if I even get a choice). Vanilla is my favorite, no questioning that, but I'll gladly move on as far as MoP if that's where most of the community is.

There are surely dozens of them...but the ones that are truly my favorites are the ones which evoked some emotion so I will just name a few which were really touching for me. It may seem a little bit silly getting emotional over the video game and what not, but bear with me...

1. First few moments in Wow after logging into Azeroth(specifically Teldrassil) more than 10 years ago...those first few moments really left me in awe...

2. There is a quest in Darkshore called For Love Eternal...You are sent to free a ghost of Anaya Dawnrunner, Cerellean's former wife, by destroying her haunted spirit. There is a cinematic afterwards, where the freed spirit of Anaya gives a last goodbye to here husband. The first time I saw it, I felt genuinely sad...

3. In DK starting area, where you are supposed to slay your ally under the control of the LK...I was truly ashamed of myself and felt literally guilty.

4. Lich King's defeat epilogue on my DK. Tasted like vengeance, haven't really felt it in the video game before.

The size.  The "empty" spaces, that give a feeling of freedom. Every other mmo I've played does it's best to cram as much content in as small an area as possible. "Go here, do this, turn in that, gain level." No downtime, keep pushing. No thankyou.

Especially vanilla wow, the feeling of "where do i go now?" was always relevant for me. And I loved it.

Example: Leaving Durotar over the bridge west of of Razor Hill, north is a long road to Orgrimmar, south is just an empty field, west is a hill. It seems empty, and I love it.  Feels like a real world, and less of a game in those areas. "Guess I'll go explore that field."

I think the most important aspect for me is social. I can speak about my first kill in raid or when I doing pvp alone but my best memories in this game is when I play whith my social group and we have a tons of laughs. I can do anything pvp or pve but isn't the same when I do this alone or when I do this whit my partners. We are a humans guys we an sociable animal.

Edited by Cometin

Even with its glaring flaws in writing and continuity, pre-WoD I would have said the lore. I still love it, of course, Warcraft is and probably always will be my only RP universe. I just have to cover my ears and eyes starting around mid-MoP and pretend nothing is happening... 

Now it's probably the quests that are really touching, or surround very dark subject matter if you bother to read the quest text. Especially in vanilla, there are so many generic quests written by people who clearly didn't have a background in crafting a narrative or believable dialogue, but once in a while, there's a gem that makes the world alive for me. This persists even in Legion, if you're lucky enough to stumble upon an example of it. 

Edited by Dawnstorm

The lore is interesting and the characters have depth when you read up on them (the game itself does simplify things but what do we expect from a PG 12 product). I played ESO and I just didn't find the stories and races equally as compelling. Maybe it's just how this game is.

FISHING! I'm yet to see a game which does fishing similarly to WoW  (if at all) - I mean clicking the bobber instead of low-effort hitting a key. Please enlighten me if there is one. In BDO you can just leave your character fishing and go afk - unacceptable!

And also the achievement system. I love titles and mounts.

There are just so many things that other games tried to capture and either failed completely or overdid it. WoW is eternal!

1. Professions.  My main on retail was a gnome frost mage, always a frost mage (even when frost was a subpar pve spec, though I got decent enough with it to keep up with my groups so the grumbling died down) and a tinker.  I got sucked into all the situational gadgets and tools engineers had available to them, and I used them to solo stuff I had trouble with or gimmick my way through something or just to goof off.  I became a compulsive miner to feed the engineering, and then before I knew it I was a player on the low level metals market in the AH (I didn't start playing until Wrath, so while everyone else was levelling as fast as they could to catch up I was mastering my Thousand Needles mining route and setting the bronze, iron, and mithril prices, using the cash I made to get fancy gear).  That particular metagame sucked me in quite a lot my first couple years

2.  Lore.  It's lacking in professional story development, but the broad strokes combined with the strongest moments from its predecessor (WCIII) made for a fun universe to enjoy.  I was never an RP sort per se, but I do always like having something of a backstory to my toons for my own entertainment, and I take an interest in all the different factions with their own agendas, and grinding reputation with them.

3.  5 mans.  Good 5 mans were so much fun with guildies or a friendly group.  Just enough complexity to require attentiveness and coordination, without the barriers to entry and larger scale of raiding.

4.  Arathi Basin.  I liked all the original battlegrounds (and EotS and even SotA before it was changed around, IoC was less fun) but Arathi is still my favorite.  Its the RTS in first person on a small scale.

5.  Casual/drunken raiding.  The only endgame bosses I ever killed before the next xpac arrived were Deathwing and Garrosh, at least partly because we somewhat outgeared the encounters (was never a heroic/mythic guy) and we wiped a lot, but man we had fun.  40 mans are different because there's too many people involved to goof off as much, but drunken ten mans were fantastic.  Killing bosses felt great, but we had just as much fun talking shit to each other over vent as we did knocking stuff down and getting gear.

Lets call for help in Srangelthorn vale, make a raid and kick some allys! For the Horde!

I was full scale world pvp

I miss it

a lot.

Blizzard made flying mounts, shame...

2 hours ago, Humperdink said:

but drunken ten mans were fantastic.  Killing bosses felt great, but we had just as much fun talking shit to each other over vent as we did knocking stuff down and getting gear.

Amen brotha. That's truly my main hope in this server. Eventually finding a ten man group of laid back comedians who get things done, but don't mind off nights full of wipes and insults. 

Raiding. Easily raiding. There's nothing like the euphoria that comes only after you've wiped countless times on a boss and finally get that win with the same set of guys as the first pull.

My most fond memory in WoW was being server first Heroic 10 Garrosh kill. I think we killed it on the 407th pull. Weren't cheaters like the Horde with all their Blood Elves and ezmode AoE interupts for the first transition either. That was a grueling slog, but damn, I ride my Iron Juggernaut mount with pride.

Posted (edited)

That feeling you get after a fresh kill, when your nuts repeatedly come into contact with the forehead of a shit-talking nerd. I love raiding and playing the AH like a finely-tuned fiddle, but god damn does it feel good to dip your sack in talcum powder, then leave your unique stamp upon the face of some raging glow worm, with such speed and precision that any spectating sewing machines would shit their pants with envy.

Edited by Bluemoon

On 31. 12. 2016 at 9:29 AM, Lilaina said:

Descending to Yogg's prison the tunnels under the ancient ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, where thousands of wings buzz, drowning all other sound, yet one voice can be heard clearly. The one in your head. Except it's not your voice, is it.

There, fixed it for you.

As for the world-trotting adventures, I'd add The Missing Diplomat, Morbent Fel, the story of Morgan Ladimore (ok, not that world-trotting, but still), and my sort of wild card, single quest, the Perenolde Tiara. Because it sends you from Stormwind right into Alterac and that's a journey I love.

Duskwood is my favourite quest area. So much attention to detail. There are things there that stay with you forever unlike pretty much all the other zones.

The apogee is the 13-part quest that is The Legend of Stalvan. Not the most difficult quest, nor the longest, but certainly the best in terms of plot and storyline.

Finishing off the quest for the first time at 0200 in the morning and not knowing what the result is going to be is Vanilla WoW at its finest.

1: Playing 2s in arena in TBC with my twin brother.

2: Playing together with irl friends when TBC and WotLK were released, esepcially heroics and the first tier of raids.

3: When WoW was new, some friends and I ran the early dungeons while leveling. I have the strongest memories from WC, SFK, BFD, RFK and RFD.

Playing on release, with IRL friends and a very friendly guild, learning the game, conquering instances (SFK was awesome :) , also loved WC) and having a really good time with friends. Everything was new then, it was not about min/maxing (at least for me), but about exploring and taking the time. This is what I'll try to do here, experiencing the Alliance side (was a Horde only player) and revisiting old and new zones a trying to make some friends here and there :) 

RAIDS.

Sure, a lot of my decline from Wow-dom was to do with how the game changed at the end of WotLK, but I won't lie. The main main reason why it all seemed so lackluster was that when I had a child, my life changed in a way that I couldn't play the game the way I once had. Of course I put my family first, and there are absolutely no regrets, but without raiding... Meh, what's the point of WoW? The bigger and more epic the raid, the better. I missed 40 man raids when they went, too. Being part of something big, where you have 40 people working (more or less) together, is what really made me tick. 

I can't raid now either - just when the first kid grew old enough for us to have the nights to ourselves again, we went and got another one ;) So now, I play for the minor things. Because of nostalgia. Because it's a good way to unwind. Because it's a world I enjoy and know like the back of my hand. If good vanilla/TBC servers are still around in 3-4 years, maybe I'll get a final taste of raiding. Maybe it won't be how I remember it at all. Maybe that would be a good thing, and I could finally let it go?

Other than that, I can divide my NOPEs and yeah why nots accordingly:

Yeah why not: farming rep, working on professions, completing quests, exploring (actually this is more like a tie with raids - loved exploration), playing battlegrounds with people I know, seasonal events, fishing, cooking, completionist stuff in general.

NOPE: world PvP, pugging dungeons, farming mobs alone (as a holy priest, I never went far without a pocket mage or warrior friend), playing the AH, worrying about loot, managing DKP, raid leading (urgh), reading quests (zzzzz), lore.

9 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Duskwood is my favourite quest area. So much attention to detail. There are things there that stay with you forever unlike pretty much all the other zones.

The apogee is the 13-part quest that is The Legend of Stalvan. Not the most difficult quest, nor the longest, but certainly the best in terms of plot and storyline.

Finishing off the quest for the first time at 0200 in the morning and not knowing what the result is going to be is Vanilla WoW at its finest.

This actually makes me think of something that's been on my mind. I do think that the Alliance have better quests when you start out. The whole Westfall/Redridge/Duskwood levelling is very enjoyable, because it feels connected, with long quest lines (The People's Militia, Legend of Stalvan, The Defias quests) and a very satisfying finale with Deadmines. Then you pick it up waaay later, with the Missing Diplomat quests out in Theramore. The Horde leveling experience feels a little more scattered, and while there are odd questlines here and there that feel special and unique, it doesn't really compare to how immersive the (especially human) Alliance early leveling is. 

And that's coming from someone who gives very close to zero fucks about lore.

Aaaand now I want to level an Alliance character...

45 minutes ago, Yavannie said:

No you don't madame

On 2. 1. 2017 at 9:35 PM, Yavannie said:

We can use able men and women. Just don't be a gnome.

On 2.1.2017 at 10:35 PM, Yavannie said:

This actually makes me think of something that's been on my mind. I do think that the Alliance have better quests when you start out. The whole Westfall/Redridge/Duskwood levelling is very enjoyable, because it feels connected, with long quest lines (The People's Militia, Legend of Stalvan, The Defias quests) and a very satisfying finale with Deadmines. Then you pick it up waaay later, with the Missing Diplomat quests out in Theramore. The Horde leveling experience feels a little more scattered, and while there are odd questlines here and there that feel special and unique, it doesn't really compare to how immersive the (especially human) Alliance early leveling is. 

And that's coming from someone who gives very close to zero fucks about lore.

I recall reading from somewhere that human zones were the first ones that blizz made so that might explain it.

3 hours ago, Xaverius said:

We can use able men and women. Just don't be a gnome.

Watch your ankles El Gigante