Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Aadore

Personal progression realm

I'm aware that crestfall will progress through expansions, but my question and idea is about something that I'm not sure if it has been done ever before.

It's about a realm, let's say running the 3.3.5a client, but once a character reaches level 60, the experience gain stops and all non-vanilla/non-classic content is locked, until the character slays the end boss of current era, in this case Kel'thuzad.

Then the experience gain continues until level 70 and all post-tbc content is locked until the character slays Kil'jaeden.

Then the experience gain continues until level 80 and since the example was latest wotlk client, Lich King would be the end of it.

Has something like this been done before and if not, is it even possible?

The thoughts behind my suggestion is that like this, players would be made to experience the entire game by first having to clear a step before moving on to the next one instead of skipping most of the content from prior expansions and then possibly solo it at max level like is fashionable on live/retail.

Another reason is, that a level 60 character let's say would basically be playing classic/vanilla, but with all the audio-visual, interface etc. updates and other quality of life improvements provided by a newer client.

Well, I've never heard it done before even for a laugh. The main reason is that it's not Blizzlike and end-scripting for raid/bosses is uniformly poor on Pservers. So the experience a la retail does not compare + seeing as the majority of players are scrubs (like me) we may not want to have our progression dictated to us like we were playing Donkey Kong.

Raiding is a part of warcraft, admittedly probably the most important part, but when you consider how few people cleared Naxx in retail and that CF intends to replicate the difficulty as best as possible, I don't think this would gain any traction here or on any other realm + no other realm to my knowledge has actually replicated PTE successfully.

But ideas are good, opinions are good, so don't take my opinion as a negative, just a perspective.

Of course such a realm wouldn't be for everyone, only for the most hardcore of players and those who enjoy roleplay and would like WoW to be more of an RPG experience.

Such a feature, to a partial extent, was actually a blizzlike, by means of attunements.

This would be just a more advanced form of the attunement feature, not only having to complete certain questchains to enter raids, but a player would also have to clear level 60 endgame before being able to move on past level 60 and continue with The Burning Crusade content and so on.

Personally, I would enjoy this greatly.

Posted (edited)

Something like this would be great if it was like the xp switch npc, where it was optional to toggle on and off as you choose.  Have your fill of a certain layer of content, then move on to the next.  The difficulties of actually making this work would be immense though I imagine.

Edited by Humperdink

52 minutes ago, Aadore said:

Of course such a realm wouldn't be for everyone, only for the most hardcore of players and those who enjoy roleplay and would like WoW to be more of an RPG experience.

Such a feature, to a partial extent, was actually a blizzlike, by means of attunements.

This would be just a more advanced form of the attunement feature, not only having to complete certain questchains to enter raids, but a player would also have to clear level 60 endgame before being able to move on past level 60 and continue with The Burning Crusade content and so on.

Personally, I would enjoy this greatly.

Actually, that's probably closer to a workable function. I remember the attunement to Karazhan and baulking at being told we had to clear a dungeon in heroic mode. Because I had a good guild it wasn't an issue and Kara was an absolute blast. So sometimes it good to force people to experience content. Personally I think they should make everyone level up to 300 in fishing before progression but that's probably a step too far.

LFM Stranglethorn Fishing Extravanganza, must have "Master Angler of Azeroth" achieve and consumables, no scrubs!

Posted (edited)

Well, why not? There's so many 'fun' realms with high XP rate or instant max level and gear vendors, so why not a truly hardcore realm for the most dedicated of players?

Edited by Aadore

Posted (edited)

I think it would be better to have a different realm for every expansion, and unlock the option of transferring your character to the realm of the next expansion when you clear the raids on your current one. This way each realm could be balanced for its own expansion, instead of clearing vanilla Naxx with WOTLK talents, spells etc. This would provide a lot better experience imo.

Also, you could transfer your character yourself when you want, and not when lets say the last raid of the expansion has been cleared for 3 months. This could of course lead to population issues on the realms.

Edited by shdw

Posted (edited)

I don't think it would be such a great issue to do let's say Naxx 40 with wotlk spells and talents, little easier perhaps, but it would create this cool roleplay single-player-like progression of 'gotta kill this boss before I can advance further in this game' feeling.

Not to mention you would know that whoever is level 60+ is good enough to have cleared Naxx and whoever is 70+ is good enough to have cleared Sunwell.

There would be no amateurs around, comparable to someone who wipes LFR on live/retail... you would know that everyone around is an experienced player.

Edited by Aadore

I don't think it would be such a great issue to do let's say Naxx 40 with wotlk spells and talents, little easier perhaps

This was just an example, I'm not even sure old Naxx is open in WOTLK. What I'm saying is that it would be VERY hard to tune everything to an appropriate difficulty on a single realm, and seeing a lvl 20 blood elf paladin running around on his mount would kinda put me out of my vanilla feeling too. Could you also go to Outland and do vanilla raids in TBC gear? Not to mention new professions, reduced xp required for leveling, etc etc...

Not to mention you would know that whoever is level 60+ is good enough to have cleared Naxx and whoever is 70+ is good enough to have cleared Sunwell.

This is only true if everything is properly tuned, as I said above. You could have this feeling on the expansion realms I suggested, since you would not be able to transfer to the next realm unless you clear the previous exp.

Of course, once one would clear Naxx etc. He/she would naturally be able to do it on higher level again if desired.

For reduced XP needed to level up, mobs changed to non-elite etc. TBC and wotlk difficulty nerfs would be reverted.

Well, one of the perks of my suggestion that I mentioned is having newer client for improvements done to the game since vanilla.

With your suggestion, having separate expansion realms just equals players having to install different versions of the game and increased server costs.

Posted (edited)

TrueWoW is doing just that on their 'PrimalWoW' realm. Currently capped at level 60 and just read right now that they plan to extend it to TBC in June.

That's the only project I know of that's doing this, and I'm pretty sure they are the only one. Hope I could help the interested ones :)

Edited by Clavus

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Well, I've never heard it done before even for a laugh. The main reason is that it's not Blizzlike and end-scripting for raid/bosses is uniformly poor on Pservers.

There're some that lock further expansion content, but it's server-wide, so now theY're all locked to 60, in 6 months they're all gonna be locked to 70, etc.

The poor scripting for end content is the standard :P. The real problem is with previous expansions. Nobody bothered to transfer the fixes, so on wotlk, for example SWP doesn'T even work. And lot of things that worked in TBC get broken. From what I seen, those fixes returned only on cata emulators. But those were missing the 4.3.4 changes with quest givers stashed into the instances. It's all a big mess.

Edited by Xaverius

I just checked Primal WoW and they indeed seem to be doing just that, although judging from the comments I read, the quality of scripts and execution are questionable at most.

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

There're some that lock further expansion content, but it's server-wide, so now theY're all locked to 60, in 60 months they're all gonna be locked to 70, etc.

The poor scripting for end content is the standard :P. The real problem is with previous expansions. Nobody bothered to transfer the fixes, so on wotlk, for example SWP doesn'T even work. And lot of things that worked in TBC get broken. From what I seen, those fixes returned only on cata emulators. But those were missing the 4.3.4 changes with quest givers stashed into the instances. It's all a big mess.

Hey Xaverius. 

OK - so I always knew TBC was pretty broken and there are no accurate emulations out there compared to Vanilla (no need to comment on accuracy here, I mean ''average'')

So out of morbid curiosity, where do you reckon the biggest jump will be for accurate emulation?

Vanilla

Vanilla - TBC

TBC - WotLK

WotLK - Cata

etc

Posted (edited)

On 7. 1. 2017 at 4:39 PM, Outstanding said:

OK - so I always knew TBC was pretty broken and there are no accurate emulations out there compared to Vanilla (no need to comment on accuracy here, I mean ''average'')

So out of morbid curiosity, where do you reckon the biggest jump will be for accurate emulation?

Well, that's caused by the recent zealous involvement vanilla got, while at the same time TBC involvement trickled away (and then was shot and thrown in a dumpster which then got set on fire and thrown into a river).

Well, emulating the expansion itself will be pretty easy until cata, which I remember was an absolute nightmare for everyone to get working, but since we've advanced a bit since 2011, I think it's really gonna be just a question of time. The further expansions don't improve that much, the gimmick of phasing and scripting everything that started in cata is present, again, just a whole lot of time taken by the effort.

As for emulating the previous expansion while being on the current one, CF won't have to deal with that (because we will build on all the data used previously, somewhat in the same way Blizzard did), but this is what I know from freeservers:
Vanilla on TBC sort of mostly works until the raids, where some don't do anything (Thaddius was a fight where you could afk as a rogue), some are broken and some are skippable. The ones in AQR look like they've been forgotten there. That place is sorely unfinished. Other endgame bosses usually try to do something, about third of the bosses in Naxx just autoattacks.
TBC on wotlk is again, mostly working, except for some more involved scripted quests, SWP is on the fritz.
Wotlk on Cata is... no. The phasing in Icecrown is totally decoupled, Sons of Hodir too. Dunno about raids, I'd expect them to be severely deteoriated too.
Haven't played pandas, but MoP on WoD is complete shitshow. Even so, it's better than freeserver WoD itself the last time I played it :D.

Edited by Xaverius