Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Darkrasp

Yet Another Nostalrius Announcement Reaction

69 posts in this topic
10 hours ago, Elicas said:

I'm mainly wondering how many people are going to show up on K2 with their tails between their legs.

I'm also thinking this may be pushed from Elysiums side from the old Nost team members, because they simply can't handle the demand at the moment.

now now, don't remind them about Kronos :D

I'm glad i never tried Nost 2.0 i knew it was gonna fail, ever since they met with Blizzard, it was impossible to keep the project or transfer it to someone else since blizzard has the owners real identity.
Now the only hope exists in the Crestfallen !

Nothing big changed there, old database is still there, only thing is core swap(if elysium ever run with nost core, some good arguments on general forum).Numbers are still high on all servers after this tweet:  To clarify: all Nostalrius character data was removed during the 2017/14/01 8PM GMT+1 maintenance that included the server name changes.

19 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Good morning/afternoon,

Well, I woke up to a bit of a firestorm this morning, and things are presently flying completely off the rails.  Obviously the dust has not yet begun to settle, and nobody has the full story yet.  I'm not going to pretend that I have more information than anyone else because I do not, but the recent post from Nostalrius has called for Elysium to stop using their core and character database, and there is speculation that Elysium appears to be willing to comply with this.

I stress, again, that this is purely speculation at this point.  The truth of the matter will become apparent in good time.

I just want to make it clear to the community that, like last time, our intentions for Crestfall remain unchanged.  We didn't rush a buggy launch in order to capitalize on the initial shutdown of Nostalrius, and we won't rush a buggy launch in order to capitalize on any other circumstance either.  Our Closed Beta is progressing nicely and at a manageable rate for us.  We are still focused on quality above all else.  Our intention is still to launch our server when it is ready, and to progress through the expansions as far as the community is interested in going.

We aren't doing this for money, so compromising in order to absorb additional players isn't in our plan.

We appreciate the patience and continued interest of our fantastic community while we continue development of Crestfall.  I know it's been a long wait, and the closer we get to releasing, the longer it feels.  Believe me, it's the same for us on the team.  We certainly hope that once we launch you will all think the wait has been worth it, as much as we believe the effort we put into development will weigh out against the end result.

My next progress update will still continue as planned on Monday the 16th.  Talk to you soon.

This is why i will play here. 

I actually hope other projects like Elysium are sucessful so when Crestfall launches we don't get queues of lots of people trying to log in at the same time and the experience is smooth overall.
Also i prefer if the population doesn't exceed numbers like 3k-4k, vanilla is alive enough with at least 2.5k people playing at the same time and if the number doesn't go up too much it will be good for TBC since Outlands is alot smaller than both Vanilla continents it would be great if population isn't too big by the time we hit TBC.
That being said i'm eagerly awaiting Crestfall launch and happily reading the weekely updates thus far and beyond.

Long Live The Crestfallen !

My first post in months, I dedicate this to Alexensual's poor keyboard - RIP. 

Sounds like no one has any idea whats going on but man I hope that shit storm doesn't make it's way over here. 

Nice attitude from Crestfall, many other projects would have awfully tempted to launch early and take advantage of situations like this and it's really nice to see the patience that you have for your project and I hope that this community continues to have the same patience for you.

On 15/1/2017 at 11:19 AM, Polyphem said:

Might be. Any other explanation would somehow end in the Nost-Team being stupid and totally unreflected about their own reputation and their position in the community (which i somewhat doubt).

And yes, it's is a big fairy tale of our modern times, that information is a property. As soon as you give it to somebody else it at least influences that person, alterates their world-view / their skills aso.

-> Plainly spoken, how is a simple player able to tell if Elysium is using their own core or the Nost-Core? And even if they jump back to "Anathema", there is no reason, as posted above, to not copy Nost-Data step by step... It's like you sitting in school and cribbing some stuff before lessons begin, especially when it's something like math - how easy to tell its not yours?

Funny thing though: Blizzard themselves are one of the most successful cribbers out there. They copied the Warhammer Lore in their first Warcraft-Game, because they were not able to get the license, they built their world on many aspects of greek and nordic myth (nobody's gonna sue them here), and they even nearly 1:1 copied their main villain from Tolkiens wotrldbuilding in Lord of the Rings (Sargeras = Morgoth, The Titans = Valar/Maiar).

I'm not gonna critizise Blizzard for this approach, because, frankly speaking, i don't think there is such thing as property of information (not even in a legal sense). And their attacks on ppl using their "data" (aka information) is mostly based on market interests and no ideology concerning property whatsoever.

That huge projects like Nostalrius and Elysium understand themselves in these matters as some kind of ideological spearhead, is giving me the creeps. Also their constant shouting about "THE COMMUNITY" is awkward, it's pathetic in a rhetoric way (hashing for emotional reactions).

You know what made this project somewhat promising for me? That the Team did not seem too much concerned with these matters. That Asura made clear, that they are doing it for themselves and not some big blown up balloon -ideal (alone). And that they might be valuing truth and honesty not as some big words to decorate themselves, but as a way of truly reaching out to people, that want to go the way of their project with them.

I really hope that the Crestfall Project and it's currency "Community" stays out of this whole mess as good as it can, even if there will be people from the outside, trying to now to drag it into the open!

Greetings

Well said.

Decided to jump ship here in case the Elysium project falls to its hype.  Hail, hail, Crestfallen folk!

5 hours ago, VraulJawrip said:

Decided to jump ship here in case the Elysium project falls to its hype.  Hail, hail, Crestfallen folk!

welcome :)

On 15. 1. 2017 at 11:19 AM, Polyphem said:

they even nearly 1:1 copied their main villain from Tolkiens wotrldbuilding in Lord of the Rings (Sargeras = Morgoth, The Titans = Valar/Maiar)

Now I'm wondering if the Boughs of Azshara were a reference to Two Trees of Valinor.

Also you forgot that wotlk's Lich King and Icecrown are pretty much just a bit more human Sauron and frozen Mordor as depicted in the Jackson movies.

On 15. 1. 2017 at 11:19 AM, Polyphem said:

That huge projects like Nostalrius and Elysium understand themselves in these matters as some kind of ideological spearhead, is giving me the creeps. Also their constant shouting about "THE COMMUNITY" is awkward, it's pathetic in a rhetoric way (hashing for emotional reactions).

The shouting about THE COMMUNITY is the same shouting Blizzard is fond of.
Ironically, this manifests in very much the same you-think-you-do-but-you-don't way that Nostrils community made fun of Blizzard for during the shutdown in april.

The nice thing about Crestfall is, it isn't primarily driven by the need to make money or be famous or gather as many people as possible. Deep down, the reason is simple mechanical "this doesn't work, why doesn't this work, this should work, I'm making my own server with blackjack, bitches and working things".

Edited by Xaverius

16 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Now I'm wondering if the Boughs of Azshara were a reference to Two Trees of Valinor.

Also you forgot that wotlk's Lich King and Icecrown are pretty much just a bit more human Sauron and frozen Mordor as depicted in the Jackson movies.

Might be. At least there is a connection between the destruction of those trees through Morgoth and the boughs of Azshara now being located near the Tomb of Sargeras :) (playable in the new Legion expansion)

As for Arthas and Northrend: Of course there are connections, but in that case i'm not sure how much was done deliberately and how much intuitively :D.

Greetings

10 hours ago, Xaverius said:

I'm making my own server with blackjack, bitches and working things

In fact forget the server and the blackjack!

On 2017-01-14 at 6:07 PM, KiT2142 said:

Just read all the drama

Jesus Christ. Nostalrius staff pushing Blizzard agenda and acting like complete assholes, and Elysium looks like is going to sell out, so the community is going to be betrayed a second time.

I mean, why Elysium can't grow a pair, and tell blizzard puppets to fuck off? 

What are you talking about?

Elysium is giving both Blizzard and Nostalrius a big ''fuck you''

In truth, considering the recent events that also just transpired for the sudden server shutdown (albeit for about a day or so) of Elysium, there may end up being more things for the server to shut down at random for that we, in the community who both play there and test here, or simply are waiting for here to open while seeing what happens over at Elysium, aren't privy to. That being said, anything that can or could happen does have the chance to, whether good or bad.

Additionally, with Elysium basically saying, as Gurgel put it, giving a big f*** you to both Nost and Blizzard, I'd like to think that they are rather confident in what they are doing. They did state to the community, however, that they are building their own core, Anathema, that will be entirely their own and no longer using that of Nostalrius'. Although I think Nostalrius wanted it to be that all players who had original characters on their realm stop playing their reborn characters on Elysium... I can't even begin to fathom or imagine why they would want that other than for some sort of perk towards Blizz, or some other unknown mind-bending reason that I couldn't even begin to come up with for an excuse.

That being said... let the future commence!

21 hours ago, Xaverius said:

The nice thing about Crestfall is, it isn't primarily driven by the need to make money or be famous or gather as many people as possible. Deep down, the reason is simple mechanical "this doesn't work, why doesn't this work, this should work, I'm making my own server with blackjack, bitches and working things".

Mr. Quotable strikes again.  +1.

8 hours ago, Monochrome said:

They did state to the community, however, that they are building their own core, Anathema, that will be entirely their own and no longer using that of Nostalrius'. Although I think Nostalrius wanted it to be that all players who had original characters on their realm stop playing their reborn characters on Elysium... I can't even begin to fathom or imagine why they would want that other than for some sort of perk towards Blizz, or some other unknown mind-bending reason that I couldn't even begin to come up with for an excuse

This is something that is simply not true. All of the vanilla servers use the same core, CMaNGOS/MaNGOS with whatever iteration they started with. They then ''change the core'' by fixing bugs,which causes bugs, so those bugs get fixed = more changes. Then the update the latest patch fixes from the MaNGOS devs and what, with scripting and DB changes suddenly et voila! They have their own core. The thing is, they don't have their own core. It's like DNA. One server looks human, one is a chimpanzee, one an orangutan. Same DNA though!

It's one of the hardest points to get across to the Psever community. Not only is this a completely different core, it's been stripped down and built up into something utterly unique. Nobody else other than LC are going to have this. There will be no comparison, if they continue as they are and complete this task. The kudos for being involved in this project are enormous. 

I wouldn't be looking forward to the core swap there if I had bothered getting my PvE characters transferred over (and now I can't anyway, fuck you Viper), Valkyrie took literally forever to dev anything, was poorly made and unstable, hence the need to reboot Valkyrie into Elysium. Even then, they had no population and a shoddy, barely better than stock Mangos standard 1.12.1 core.

The main devs from Nost aren't involved with the team there any more. Other than the improvements core-side to enable ridiculous amounts of players, it's the same old failed team trying to code content they hadn't managed to complete in 8 years.

3 hours ago, Outstanding said:

The thing is, they don't have their own core. It's like DNA. One server looks human, one is a chimpanzee, one an orangutan. Same DNA though!

Crestfall is the space marine to their orangutan.

2 hours ago, Elicas said:

same old team trying to code content they hadn't managed to complete in 8 years.

So basically like official mangos/Trinity :P.

51 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Crestfall is the space marine to their orangutan.

Savage. I love it.

6 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Crestfall is the space marine to their orangutan

You've obviously never read Terry Pratchett...

1 minute ago, Outstanding said:

You've obviously never read Terry Pratchett...

Ook?

15 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Ook?

Well, ook, one would never make a derogatory comment about orangutans. kek