Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dst

Can we expect a 100% working server?

33 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I read somewhere in comments about this upcoming project and decided to join :)

Can we expect a fully working server? I mean things that are related to server code?(like abilities/talents, mobs/pets AI, pathing, quests etc.) Looks like this server's been in development for a long time...

I understand that no private server can have 100% blizz retail-like things related to Database(like loottables, mobs health/stats/damage etc.) due to obvious reason.

Thanks in advance :)

First, welcome to Creastfall.

Yes, we can expect a fully working server, the Creastfall's Team is focused on quality instead of quantity. The core is basically build from scratch, this mean that we're gonna find some bugs (it's impossible to not have any bug, even blizzard had) but surely not the common one that we see in Mangos. The staff is hardly working to be blizzlike as possible, this mean that loot tables, mobs health etc. has been searched from vanilla videos of 10 years ago so this will probably be the most accurate blizzlike experience you can live nowadays.

I suggest you to read the Darkrasp's updates to have a better idea!

Edited by Dennis

Thanks for your reply!

I'm just a former WoW player (late vanilla - end of wrath) who wants to be able to play this amazing game like I used to (I think a lot of you guys feel the same). Currently stopped playing Elysium after encountering some bugs and bad instance scripting (we'll see how the fixing process is gonna go).

I'm just afraid that this project would end like Corecraft :) . They also had like weekly development updates/videos whatsoever and they kept pushing their ETA further and further... We know what happened in the end :)

16 minutes ago, dst said:

I'm just afraid that this project would end like Corecraft :) . They also had like weekly development updates/videos whatsoever and they kept pushing their ETA further and further... We know what happened in the end :)

That's actually the only thing that scare me too. I really hope not, this server seems so promising!

To answer the initial question, I would say you aren't going to find a 100% working server anywhere (even on retail), there will always be bugs ;).  But Crestfall is aiming at 110% and I think they'll probably hit 99.9% working.  Read a little into the forums and get to know the community and I think it'll help boost your confidence in this server development staff.

38 minutes ago, Kelila said:

To answer the initial question, I would say you aren't going to find a 100% working server anywhere (even on retail)

Don't really know what bugs on retail actually took place but my abilities/talents always worked properly and not a single quest I did was bugged in any way.

I believe 100% can be achieved by testing every single "piece" (talent, ability, quest, mob, boss fight etc.) ONE BY ONE throughout the whole database. Not an easy/small task... But I may be wrong on this one.

PS the only bug i remember from retail was that some mobs could be stuck in textures but that was rare to find

Edited by dst

Huhu I remember the "looting" bug : when looting a mob, you could get stuck in the looting animation and stay that until you logged out :)

Some FP bugs too (I think?), where you retained the flying mount (you could only walk around with it, not fly)

45 minutes ago, hettar987 said:

Some FP bugs too (I think?), where you retained the flying mount (you could only walk around with it, not fly)

Ah, I remember that one! It was hilarious! xD

51 minutes ago, hettar987 said:

Huhu I remember the "looting" bug : when looting a mob, you could get stuck in the looting animation and stay that until you logged out :)

I always thought these only happened on private servers.

59 minutes ago, shdw said:

I always thought these only happened on private servers.

I remember having the skinning audio play on repeat sometimes on retail. Could be something on my end, tho.

4 hours ago, dst said:

I'm just afraid that this project would end like Corecraft :)

Perfectionism always comes with the risk of never being satisfied. So yeah, there is the risk, but I feel like it won't happen with CF. The number of major bugs the team, and specially Azura, already tackled on the core, like fixing pet movement, then fixing opening chests or doors and world collision, having to re-write pet movement, realizing now taunt is broken, then fixing taunt and breaking pet movement, then fixing pet movement again....

These are all examples taken deliberately out of my ass, but from Darkrasp's updates it does seem like there were a lot of rewrites of already rewritten stuff.

These guys could have already made a really good amount of money if so they desired. They could have given up a long time ago. They could have released a long time ago a 'better than most but not quite there' server when nostalrius went down. They could have spun the wheels of hype machines and gotten a few thousand registered players with an unfinished product, etc...

I think it won't be like Corecraft. Simply because these guys are maniacs. Perfectionist maniacs for whom I'm grateful.

There is a risk, but I'm sticking with my gut for now.

4 hours ago, dst said:

I'm just afraid that this project would end like Corecraft :) .

Asura stated that they don't want to be the next Corecraft in the Q&A video. That tells me that they're aware of such things and plan how they do things accordingly.

They also stated that Asura has a "maximum" date by which they will release Crestfall, no matter what. 

Speculations about that date are... speculations. Who said 2030  !?

Edited by hettar987

Having no date for anything is pretty dissapointing...

May be it's better than "noon GMT+1"

Please no more memes :)

28 minutes ago, dst said:

You have to understand the context as well : this is a project where people their free time for it in a best effort mode. The project is also quite complex and unforeseen issues (known unknowns) can arise. 

If you try to be honest and publish a guesstimate date, you have no room to maneuver when something happens (and it will).

If you try to have a comfortable margin, people will shout "2030 is outrageous!!!" and you'll lose people and any credit your project may have. 

I'm the first to want a date for the Crestfall opening, in order to anticipate the joy of playing there, but I think I understand why no date is given unless it's a 99% probable date : the alternatives suck. 

38 minutes ago, dst said:

We once had a rough approximate month and missed it. Learned our lesson to not promise if you can't keep it. :)

21 hours ago, dst said:

Hello everyone! I read somewhere in comments about this upcoming project and decided to join :)

Can we expect a fully working server? I mean things that are related to server code?(like abilities/talents, mobs/pets AI, pathing, quests etc.) Looks like this server's been in development for a long time...

I understand that no private server can have 100% blizz retail-like things related to Database(like loottables, mobs health/stats/damage etc.) due to obvious reason.

Thanks in advance :)

There is few way of thinking by myself:
1. Blizzard's  servers had & have bugs, so making it 100% blizzlike... You know
2. Some says "We gonna fix Blizzard bugs" - so it's not 100% blizzlike then
3. I can say some trash talk like "I've never seen 100% blizzlike private server (also never seen 100% working private server)" - but hey, It's over decade now - maybe it's time for changes
4. "Looks like this server's been in development for a long time..." - RiP CoreCraft (btw. How's new Scriptcraft?)
5. And because 1, 2, 3, 4 "Can we expect a fully working server?" - ...

Maybe I missed it in one of the updates, but does anyone know if the scripters have started their work?

On 1/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, ScubaV said:

Maybe I missed it in one of the updates, but does anyone know if the scripters have started their work?

Depends which scripters you're talking about. Dark has talked about having already scripted the majority of trash in nearly all the dungeons and raids. They haven't released any specific details about quest or event scripting yet. Boss scripting is being done solely by Asura, who doesn't post updates at the moment.

I prefer to stay and patiently wait. We all are hoping for sooner date of the birth. Soon or later it will come im really frustrated from hypetrain...hype megabombs...just huge hype, for something and then the feeling of the "burnout" effect. 

1 hour ago, Triballone said:

im really frustrated from hypetrain...hype megabombs...just huge hype, for something and then the feeling of the "burnout" effect. 

just like elysium for me lol

2 hours ago, Elicas said:

Depends which scripters you're talking about. Dark has talked about having already scripted the majority of trash in nearly all the dungeons and raids. They haven't released any specific details about quest or event scripting yet. Boss scripting is being done solely by Asura, who doesn't post updates at the moment.

The quest/event scripting I guess is what I meant.  I know they recruited a bunch of people a while back, and the original plan was to have them start sometime in December.  I was just trying to guesstimate progress since there isn't much official word on what and how much work remains.

My sources say it will be literally playable

3 hours ago, Marbo said:

My sources say it will be literally playable

*Gasp*