Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elicas

A Grizzly Situation - Feral Druid 1.12.1 (PvE, tanking and DPS) 

107 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, Galbert said:

Thanks for the answer. Just wondering: Does global CD actually trigger when exiting/entering forms as druid? Or can you, say, be in bear form, exit and instantaneously re-enter another form? Sorry for noob questions just haven't played druids before and WoW in a long while. :D

It triggers the GCD. You have an energy tick every 2 seconds, so if you tick, shift, shift, you have in theory a ~0.5 second margin of error to reenter form before wasting the second energy tick.

On 6-9-2016 at 9:39 AM, Elicas said:

I look forward to playing on the most heavily populated Druid server to ever exist.

You ruined it!

Nah jk, half of the people will be thrown off when they are told to respec for PvE. Then i'll feel like a snowflake again!

on a more serious note; Your item set ups consist of 5 hit at the start while afaik you would want 9 for bosses (5 is fine for thrash).

isn't there more hit to get in places(Wyrmthalak neck? I'm not sure when that was added) or would it be sub-par(hit is

2 hours ago, Marbo said:

You ruined it!

Nah jk, half of the people will be thrown off when they are told to respec for PvE. Then i'll feel like a snowflake again!

on a more serious note; Your item set ups consist of 5 hit at the start while afaik you would want 9 for bosses (5 is fine for thrash).

isn't there more hit to get in places(Wyrmthalak neck? I'm not sure when that was added) or would it be sub-par(hit is

As far as I know, the BiS pre-raid list is the best of what we can get when you take into account the drops that have been rolled back. I'm 99% sure there isn't any more hit gear available to us pre-raid.

On 9/3/2016 at 9:54 PM, Elicas said:

Very well written guide. 

I'm strongly considering going feral on my first alt (since main will be prot warrior, and frankly, have played paladin for way too long to even consider it doing any time soon), but I'm not posting just to share my appreciation for this  nicely written guide but to add one key thing that I did not think you mentioned above.

To be really appreciated in raids that you joined, you should have off-spec (healing) gear inside your backpack. Always remember that you are playing a class, not just a spec that you chose. That means if raid set up requires you to actually stay back and heal, or decurse, you should be ready to do so. Your job as a hybrid in raid should be to strengthen any weak spot and do what you like most to do (tank or dps) only when there are no more important tasks for you to do.

10 hours ago, Elviss said:

To be really appreciated in raids that you joined, you should have off-spec (healing) gear inside your backpack. Always remember that you are playing a class, not just a spec that you chose. That means if raid set up requires you to actually stay back and heal, or decurse, you should be ready to do so. Your job as a hybrid in raid should be to strengthen any weak spot and do what you like most to do (tank or dps) only when there are no more important tasks for you to do.

Couldn't agree more. I mained a druid on retail days and again on Nost...there's no excuse for not having a heal set on you at all times, or a tank (or dps) w/ you if you are MS resto. Honestly, druids should be snagging whatever OS gear they can while leveling. I remember my guild was clearing to Hakkar one night and our OT had to go for an emergency. This was going to be our 2nd full ZG clear and folks were excited to repeat the magic. Fortunately we had a spare healer online so I threw on my tank gear and voila: here's a bear with 7k HP ready to tank. Personally I start acquiring heal gear as low a level as possible, because though I level as feral I never want to have to wait on a dungeon. It's great to be able to tank, dps, or heal 5mans while leveling!

I don't gather a heal set per se, rather a mana regen set, which is of more use when decursing since no healing is required.

Lots of MP5 gear happens to have +Healing on it however.

22 hours ago, Elviss said:

Hahaha...yea, let me know when you find dodge on MP5 item xD

With Vanilla itemisation I'm sure there's at least one :P

Forgive me if repost but warstrife leggings and cloudrunner girdle are good options for legs and waist.

if you hate grinding urok than quickdraw gloves is a nice choice. 

Thank you for great post and advices sensei elicas. 

Awesome guide. My plan will be Tank and dps with my feral. Love them both and this guide will help alot even if i knew somethings. 

On 10/13/2016 at 5:02 PM, floydian said:

Forgive me if repost but warstrife leggings and cloudrunner girdle are good options for legs and waist.

if you hate grinding urok than quickdraw gloves is a nice choice. 

Thank you for great post and advices sensei elicas. 

I believe the reason that Warstrife Leggings isn't on the list is that it was getting rolled back to an older version. It's possible I've made a mistake there, when i originally made the list gear rollbacks was still in discussion.

Cloudrunner is on my Kitty list, but it's quite inferior to Frostbite for tanking.

While quickdraw is a solid choice, Uruk's is so good it's really the only option for the dedicated Druids out there.

Thanks for the kind words!

I think no matter what class/spec all of us want to play, there will be a spot. Read tons of topics with toxic point of view saying - this spec is rubish that spec/class is garbage...etc etc. The game is for fun for chilling and there is no place foor negative reactions to peoples choices. After so many years ppl are familiar with the mechanics of their preffered class/spec so now many things will not be so hard. I personaly prefer peacefull gameplay, not endless fights for topping dps charts or healing. 

Edited by Triballone

(169 + (169 * 1.8) * 1.10) + 70 = 590.52 Armour.

This is wrong math here, the correct answer is 573,62. You should have written it like this: (169 + 169*1,8) * 1,1 + 70 = 590.52 Armour

Edited by Nokkius

got question... since i ll focus on tank gear, i ll choose mark of tyrrany instead of blackhand, dunno about choise of 2nd dps trinket. Seen lot of high DPS list druids on realmplayers with Maelstrom. Any suggestions about it?

On 11/10/2016 at 7:17 PM, Nokkius said:

(169 + (169 * 1.8) * 1.10) + 70 = 590.52 Armour.

This is wrong math here, the correct answer is 573,62. You should have written it like this: (169 + 169*1,8) * 1,1 + 70 = 590.52 Armour

Every resource I've ever seen regarding Druid armour, from Feenix to Kronos to Nost to the wowwiki and old elitistjerks webcaches, show the formula as;

(((Base armour + (base armour * Bear form bonus)) * Thick Hide) + armour kit/enchant = Total.

You don't multiply both the base armour values by 1.8, you get the base value *1, and the base value multiplier *1.

That would give us (169 + (304.2) * 1.10) = 520.52 +70 = 590.52

If we followed your change that still wouldn't give us 573.62.

(169 + 169 *1.8) = 608.4
608.4 * 1.10 = 669.24
669.24 + 70 = 739.24

You can see from this thread the exact calculations; https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17968

Basically, for bear form in the above example, it is abbreviated as;

Bear form armour = (100% + 180%) * 1.1 or
(169 * 2.8) *1.1 = 520.52
With the +70 from the enchant that comes out at 590.52, the original number I came to in my guide.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:01 AM, Chilaverde said:

got question... since i ll focus on tank gear, i ll choose mark of tyrrany instead of blackhand, dunno about choise of 2nd dps trinket. Seen lot of high DPS list druids on realmplayers with Maelstrom. Any suggestions about it?

It is very good, since it has no ICD and we attack once every second, we can get almost as many procs as a Rogue or Fury Warrior can get. It's worse than Blackhands for a DPS by a very, very, very small amount (less than 0.1%) but since you will be taking Tyranny it's definitely a viable choice.

Edited by Elicas

On 16. 11. 2016 at 8:45 PM, Elicas said:

(169 + 169 *1.8) = 608.4
608.4 * 1.10 = 669.24
669.24 + 70 = 739.24

You are wrong here, multiplication has priority over sum, it doesnt matter what your sources are, this is basic math.

(169 + 169 *1.8) = 169 + 304,2 = 473,2

473,2 * 1,1 = 520,52

520,52 + 70 = 590,52

Your formula goes like this:

(169 + (169 * 1.8) * 1.10)   = 169 + 304,2 * 1,1 = 169 + 334,62 = 503,62

503,62 + 70 = 573,62

If your formula is correct, you should change your original number from 590,52 to 573,62

Edited by Nokkius

11 hours ago, Nokkius said:

You are wrong here, multiplication has priority over sum, it doesnt matter what your sources are, this is basic math.

(169 + 169 *1.8) = 169 + 304,2 = 473,2

473,2 * 1,1 = 520,52

520,52 + 70 = 590,52

Your formula goes like this:

(169 + (169 * 1.8) * 1.10)   = 169 + 304,2 * 1,1 = 169 + 334,62 = 503,62

503,62 + 70 = 573,62

If your formula is correct, you should change your original number from 590,52 to 573,62

Ok, I don't pretend to be a genius at formulas, but you're confusing the shit out of me there.

You add 169 to 169*1.8, then times that total by 1.1, then add the 70 for the armour enchant.

(169 + 304.2)*1.1 = 520.52

520.52 + 70 = 590.52

So the long formula would actually look like ((169+(169*1.80))*1.10)+70 I think. Had to look back at some old A level papers to find the correct usage of brackets again :(

The short hand is still (169 * 2.8) *1.1 = 520.52.

2 hours ago, Elicas said:

((169+(169*1.80))*1.10)+70

Yes this would equal 590,52.

But it doesnt match:  (Base armour + (base armour * Bear form bonus (either 1.8 or 3.6)) * Thick Hide) + armour kit/enchant = Total. You might want to test it in game :)

23 minutes ago, Nokkius said:

Yes this would equal 590,52.

But it doesnt match:  (Base armour + (base armour * Bear form bonus (either 1.8 or 3.6)) * Thick Hide) + armour kit/enchant = Total. You might want to test it in game :)

That's my fault for my derpy way of writing it and putting together the brackets wrong.

It should be

(((Base armour + (Base armour * Bear form bonus)) * Thick Hide ) + Armour Kit/Enchant.

In game, it adds up the same as my calculations, it's just my writing of it was pretty bad.

I'll go back and correct the guide now.

Thanks for helping!

Edited by Elicas

Very sound Guide.

However, i would like to suggest a change on 2 aspects regarding speccs. The specc you have currently DPS/Tank feral hybrid, would probably work fine in dungeons, but as offtank is rather not suggestable.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#0zLVhoZVbxsfbdtV this is what i currently run. The armor value is the impotant part. Rage generation can be neglected for offtank purposes. This hybrid specc is focused heavily on DPS.

My second objection would be regarding the stat priorities:

Hit > STR > AGI > Crit is corect. However, pre Bis up until BWL, Hit > AGI > STR > Crit

80% of the Cats DPS relates to how many crits you can Shred/FB away. Especially early on, relying solemly on pre Bis gear, which is rather Statheavy than secondary stat heavy (Devilsaur and Shoulders excluded).

General Rule of Thumb, are you raid buffed and have more than 33% crit? If yes, STR > AGI, if not AGI > STR.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:43 PM, Wortgewandt said:

Very sound Guide.

However, i would like to suggest a change on 2 aspects regarding speccs. The specc you have currently DPS/Tank feral hybrid, would probably work fine in dungeons, but as offtank is rather not suggestable.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#0zLVhoZVbxsfbdtV this is what i currently run. The armor value is the impotant part. Rage generation can be neglected for offtank purposes. This hybrid specc is focused heavily on DPS.

My second objection would be regarding the stat priorities:

Hit > STR > AGI > Crit is corect. However, pre Bis up until BWL, Hit > AGI > STR > Crit

80% of the Cats DPS relates to how many crits you can Shred/FB away. Especially early on, relying solemly on pre Bis gear, which is rather Statheavy than secondary stat heavy (Devilsaur and Shoulders excluded).

General Rule of Thumb, are you raid buffed and have more than 33% crit? If yes, STR > AGI, if not AGI > STR.

Welcome to the forums Wort! Will you be playing here?

First up;

The guide I linked presumed that the feral would be trying to spend more time tanking dungeons rather than tanking raids (such is the realities for most players I think) and so the points were spent to prioritize 'easy' threat for beginners with Feral Instinct + Primal Fury. I'll add your build to the list as a more DPS focused variant however.

Secondly;

I'll amend the stat section appropriately. I must admit it's not something I put much thought into, since I've yet to play on a server where I have had less than ~35% raid buffed crit. I didn't really give much thought to people who are either lesser geared or lesser prepared with full world buffs, I must admit.

4 hours ago, Elicas said:

Welcome to the forums Wort! Will you be playing here?

First up;

The guide I linked presumed that the feral would be trying to spend more time tanking dungeons rather than tanking raids (such is the realities for most players I think) and so the points were spent to prioritize 'easy' threat for beginners with Feral Instinct + Primal Fury. I'll add your build to the list as a more DPS focused variant however.

Secondly;

I'll amend the stat section appropriately. I must admit it's not something I put much thought into, since I've yet to play on a server where I have had less than ~35% raid buffed crit. I didn't really give much thought to people who are either lesser geared or lesser prepared with full world buffs, I must admit.

I thought about it. At this point there is no hope for Elysium anymore. I just shudder at the thought of having to grind mc/bwl for another 2 years before finally seeing AQ again.
But if I roll here, than most likely not as feral. I've achieved my goal of proving feral can work if you put your mind to it. Next up, is either Ele or Enhancer Shamy!

I must have missed that point, but you're right. It really depends on gear. But then again, Druid has just so many options!

As second point, wanting to feral dps, means having to be utterly buffed. :D

Edited by Wortgewandt

37 minutes ago, Wortgewandt said:

I thought about it. At this point there is no hope for Elysium anymore. I just shudder at the thought of having to grind mc/bwl for another 2 years before finally seeing AQ again.

On the plus side, CF is estimating 18 months to 2 years from release until they progress to TBC, so there should in theory be no mass MC/BWL grind again.

Proof will be in the pudding though, since that's a ridiculously ambitious target.

5 hours ago, Elicas said:

Proof will be in the pudding though, since that's a ridiculously ambitious target.

My problem is, that with TBC, I definitly want to play a druid again O.o I guess I'll just have to level both >_<