Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kazrid

Ever met someone in game in person?

34 posts in this topic

Just curious. A few weeks back I met and hung out with an old guildy, Ironring from Feenix Al'Akir. We went touring through a cave and talked about the guild/server etc. It was a lot of fun and I have plans to meet a few other WoW friends.

He's taking to our German guildy, my friend is on the left, his gf is on the middle and I'm on the right.

2iqhb7l.png

Yes I have, but not out of coincidence or accident. Our guild held real life meetings back in wotlk. I joined wow a bit late but I got the chance to attend one of those. You realize people communicate with and help you out more in game after such gatherings, it's nice. I have also attended to some meetings of anime forums and swtor forums back in the day.

Nope, it was the other way around for me: I played with people I already knew in RL, sometimes in the same house/room. When it comes to people I didn't know irl, I never even learned anyone's real names, let alone talk to them via a mic or meet them. I'm weird like that.

Yes. Our guild held a meeting IRL right before MoP. That was the first time I saw any of my guildies IRL. Had a blast.

Same as Lilaina actually. I played with a few RL friends, with one being the guild leader. At the end of the "vanilla" era we recieved alot of whispers that people in the guild were interested in a RL meeting. But as we were social awkward type of people, we refused to organize it xD

I've been on both sides: I've made some friends along the way from tbc and wotlk; and also played with people I knew in real life. It's fun when you make new friends and learn from them in more aspects that just the game.

I met my wife in a VoA trade chat pug during WotLK retail.

Safe to say, yes, I've met some people IRL after meeting them in game ;)

I'm in the same boat as @Lilaina pretty much. One of my friends is actually the one who talked me into playing Vanilla in the first place. So you can pretty much blame him for my presence on the forum and later in-game. kek

As for friends I met in-game, I never really talked to anyone. Maybe I got a name or two and that's about it. I would mostly just hang out with them in-game doing quests and things like that. 

I'm not the most social person (can anyone tell me what color the sky is? It's... been a while.) so my chances of ever meeting someone I've played with are very slim. It'd probably be quite enjoyable if I manage to pull myself out of my comfort zone. I'd need the opportunity first, however.

Then there's the nightmarish scenario where I attend such a fan meeting and there's nothing but UD Rogue players. *shudders*

2 hours ago, VeloxBanks said:

UD Rogue players

It would seem that one could judge a person by their choice of race in Wow. :) I wonder, what would be most prevalent trait of a player according to their preferred race...

On the topic though, the people I played with were mostly my friends IRL. However, I simply can't picture myself going to some IRL guild meeting with people I know only from game. Although, I have no problem hanging out on discord or some other voice chat, IRL meeting seems a bit excessive for me. :/

Edited by Mal Do'Urden

The advantage of having servers limited to the national scene, in my case CZ/SK, was that once in a while, there was a server-wide meetup taking place.

I was too young to attend them when they existed in all their glory, however, so I only met some of the people. Namely the guy who headed Insomnia after the years-long head GM left, when he was showing me the way around the city when I was preparing for the university; and then a bunch of the old guard players on a metal festival (Masters of Rock for those interested). We still say 'sup when we happen to meet.

Oh, right, and from a server about 5 years later than Mystiq and these people, I also met my girlfriend.

Edited by Xaverius

6 hours ago, Elicas said:

Safe to say, yes, I've met some people IRL after meeting them in game ;)

you know whats great? having Beta Access for Elicas and he's nowhere to be found. :) 

42 minutes ago, imbaslap said:

you know whats great? having Beta Access for Elicas and he's nowhere to be found. :) 

I don't think he's on Discord even though it's a prerequisite. I did drop him a PM yesterday. Look, he's a good guy to have on board so maybe worth the wait. 

It's not as if we're rolling in Shaman testers now, is it?

2 hours ago, Outstanding said:

I don't think he's on Discord even though it's a prerequisite. I did drop him a PM yesterday. Look, he's a good guy to have on board so maybe worth the wait. 

wasn't it shamans and rogues next

*also to answer the question - yes, I had a IRL boyfriend for a year or so that I met over WoW. nice guy but it didn't work out

Edited by cell007

I met my girlfriend back in mid BC. i ran her and some noobs through sunken temple.  We've only been officially together about 4 years now  but we  just had our first kid over Christmas.. It's usually a little weird explaining how we met to some people.

9 hours ago, Mal Do'Urden said:

It would seem that one could judge a person by their choice of race in Wow. :) I wonder, what would be most prevalent trait of a player according to their preferred race...

I smell a new topic.

1 hour ago, VeloxBanks said:

I smell a new topic.

With a poll!

9 hours ago, imbaslap said:

If the announcement was somewhere more visible or if i'd got an invite email, I would have noticed sooner....

8 hours ago, Outstanding said:

You have to click send for me to receive a PM ;), had no idea I was even in until I saw these posts lol.

10 hours ago, Xaverius said:

The advantage of having servers limited to the national scene, in my case CZ/SK, was that once in a while, there was a server-wide meetup taking place.

I was too young to attend them when they existed in all their glory, however, so I only met some of the people. Namely the guy who headed Insomnia after the years-long head GM left, when he was showing me the way around the city when I was preparing for the university; and then a bunch of the old guard players on a metal festival (Masters of Rock for those interested). We still say 'sup when we happen to meet.

Oh, right, and from a server about 5 years later than Mystiq and these people, I also met my girlfriend.

I attended Brutal Assault a few years in a row, but man, meanwhile it's getting eaten by commerce :/.

Regarding real-life-meetings, i too played with many RL-friends and always centered my efforts around them. But once, back in the vanilla days, i visited an in-game friend in the south of germany (mostly, because it was not so afar away for me :) ). We went for bowling and after that even for a 5day trip to "Wacken" (Festival in Germany, 2007 it was still somewhat nice... but now, all the commerce, again^^).

Greetings

16 hours ago, Elicas said:

That's the best part though. When someone asks where I and my gf met, we just answer "in Dalaran" and let them puzzle that one out.

27 minutes ago, Polyphem said:

Brutal Assault

Eh, that's too far away for me. I attend MoR every year though because it's pretty much over the hill from where I live (something like 25km). My boss visits BA though :D.

Not sure what you mean by the commercialization, but I did notice they invited some more famous bands the last year and as a result, there were a tad more people than usual or comfortable (from the usual 20k to 25k).

15 hours ago, VeloxBanks said:

@Lilaina pretty much. One of my friends is actually the one who talked me into playing Vanilla in the first place. So you can pretty much blame him for my presence on the forum and later in-game.

I also started playing with classmates. And it was my incentive that set us on that path I went to borrow the DVDs, they didn't work, two of my classmates then bought the TBC battlechest each, which was an overkill for playing on freeservers, but hey.

Then they stopped playing wow so I of course stopped meeting them in person ever again, as is mandatory :P.

Well and then the aforementioned meetings happened. It's just a shame I didn't get to attend the server meetups. Imagine that, several dozens of weird nolifers in one place.

EDIT: The sky is white, I'm positive.

Edited by Xaverius

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

If the announcement was somewhere more visible or if i'd got an invite email, I would have noticed sooner....

You have to click send for me to receive a PM ;), had no idea I was even in until I saw these posts lol.

Dammit, you're right. Sorry.

8 hours ago, Thantar said:

I met my girlfriend back in mid BC. i ran her and some noobs through sunken temple.  We've only been officially together about 4 years now  but we  just had our first kid over Christmas.. It's usually a little weird explaining how we met to some people.

Just say online dating sites? :P 

15 hours ago, Xaverius said:

in my case CZ/SK

Same here, spend most of my play time on CZ/SK servers. Didn't attend these guild and server-wide meetups though. However, we were often making LAN parties with my mateys from high school which were really enjoyable. 10 friends sitting together by one big table, Zul'Aman, ICC, Arenas, BGs...ah good times indeed. :x

The only person I've met IRL is the uni classmate who introduced me to WoW.

I don't know if I'd like to meet up as once I posted a picture of myself on a now dead server forum and one teenage boy wouldn't stop hitting on me. I'm not sure if he was serious or trolling, but still it was just weird and awkward.

Met my arena mates during WotLK and Cata, also had a big LAN where we had a guild in our hometown solely comprised of people from it. So we were in last year of middle school (15yrs) and people from HS playing together. We were 26 ppl in that LAN, which lasted for 5 days. 

14 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Then they stopped playing wow so I of course

At first I thought you were gonna go on like "stopped playing, too".
Nice finish, lol.

14 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Imagine that, several dozens of weird nolifers in one place.

In my case (the anime forum meeting), we were a bunch of "otaku"s on a boat ride across the Bosphorus, talking loudly about anime characters and plots. Other passengers were looking at us with a weird look.
I guess they hadn't seen the mentioned series yet B|

Edited by Quantus