Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Humperdink

I know Blizz has a habit of mangling it's own stories

26 posts in this topic

But part of me would love to see a Warcraft animated series, something along the lines of what Pixar/Dreamworks stuff looks like these days.  Then you could keep the look and feel of the universe without having to go full-metal Industrial Light and Magic.  I'm not worried about animation quality if the same team that made the cinematics made it (just scaled up) and I'm sure they could find voiceover talent.  The hard part would be convincing Metzen and co. to import professionals to turn their story outlines and characters into something a grown-up could watch without rationalizing it.  There's plenty enough there to take the origin sketches/events of the RPGs supplemented with material from all the knock-off novels and manga and comics and assorted detritus and give the best of it a largely coherent serialized treatment.  It would eliminate some of the structural restrictions of feature film and permit more focused vignettes within the broader universe of characters and events.  They might even be able to get somebody like Netflix to distribute it, or they could make it available themselves on their own site and not have to worry about those costs.  I just worry that they'd either bring in the wrong writing and editing team, or override them in all the wrong ways, and screw the whole thing up.  Granted I was a teenager when I played Starcraft/WCIII, and those storylines weren't highbrow, but they were fun.  I'm not asking for Game of Thrones or Middle Earth here.  Anything above Michael Bay quality narration would probably make me happy.  But I'm a sucker for nostalgia.  Excuse me while I go get another drink and watch animated robot Orson Welles eat planets.

Edited by Humperdink

28 minutes ago, Humperdink said:

Game of Thrones or Middle Earth

Excuse me sir, but one simply does not mention these two in the same sentence since (imho) GoT simply can not rise to the level of LotR. (the Hobbit is completely different case though, I give you that)

Other than that, I would also like the Warcraft series but with latest butchering of the lore by the company that shall not be named I can imagine how it would turn out and that always returns me back to the ground.

If something like this were to happen, Netflix would probably be the most likely distributor seeing how they are willing to experiment with new formats. All of the Overwatch stuff that blizz has been doing lately makes it seem that they really do want to do animations á la Pixar. I would settle for visual quality similar to that of the in-game cinematics that they have been doing since MoP. Voice-overs are easy; there's an overabundance of people looking for work in the market and Blizzard's games have always had great voice-acting in them.

1 hour ago, Humperdink said:

The hard part would be convincing Metzen and co. to import professionals to turn their story outlines and characters into something a grown-up could watch without rationalizing it. 

More likely they would tone it down further so that kids can watch it, which would be fine. Bigger audience would mean moar money and bigger budget. Adult fans would most likely watch it even if it was somewhat childish.

8 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

If something like this were to happen, Netflix would probably be the most likely distributor seeing how they are willing to experiment with new formats. All of the Overwatch stuff that blizz has been doing lately makes it seem that they really do want to do animations á la Pixar. I would settle for visual quality similar to that of the in-game cinematics that they have been doing since MoP. Voice-overs are easy; there's an overabundance of people looking for work in the market and Blizzard's games have always had great voice-acting in them.

More likely they would tone it down further so that kids can watch it, which would be fine. Bigger audience would mean moar money and bigger budget. Adult fans would most likely watch it even if it was somewhat childish.

I'd even be possibly be ok with something that was toned down in terms of overt violence as long as the story was decent.  Cogent and coherent with interesting characters would be enough.

25 minutes ago, Humperdink said:

story was decent

Sorry, but this isn't 2003 anymore.

6 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Sorry, but this isn't 2003 anymore.

I know but I could use a Blizz themed distraction that isn't at least ten years old.  Never touched Diablo 3, more or less given up on retail wow, not big on FPS so Overwatch was never going to be my thing, found SCII hard to get into, Warcraft movie was a fail (glad I didn't pay to watch that dreck), etc.  At any rate, thanks for the crossbow shot to my bubble Chuckles.

16 minutes ago, Humperdink said:

Never touched Diablo 3

You are quite lucky.

As for Starcraft II, Wings of Liberty had a good campaign. Then it went quickly downhill. Legacy of the Void story, and especially the ending, is levels of wtfery previously unseen in the realm of man, maybe not even at Blizzard (they did take inspiration from it for Illidan's ultimate fate though).

Edited by Xaverius

I played through Wings of Liberty twice, and then lost interest halfway through Heart of the Swarm

I don't really watch... anything... but just hearing about an actual Warcraft animated series being made would be awesome. 

I'd share some more thoughts on this but it seems pointless considering what my main point would be. I was gonna say how this probably won't happen since it seems like too much work considering how they already have easier ways to make money out of the franchise, most notably WoW. Yeah, IN MY OPINION (in other words: please don't kill me) Blizzard puts profit above all else. 

How well is WoW doing right now? It's been a while since I've heard anyone say "WoW is dying!" so I'd guess the subs are stable. What about Hearthstone? I'd guess that's still making them some decent money. 

All that I've said here could be as far from the truth as possible. This is all nothing more but my personal take on why this probably won't be a thing, even if I'm pointing out the obvious. It just seems to me like this is quite unlikely, even if simply because they have other ways to make money out of the series. And that's not even touching on the probable quality of the series if it ever happens. Wouldn't making a series with the old lore be admitting that the new lore sucks? Pretty sure there was another time they didn't do that for the same reason... Ugh, I can't remember when or for what but I'm pretty sure it was last year. 

"On the next episode of Garrosh's Time Traveling Adventures..." kek

The new warcraft movie should of been all CGI; mixing real life people and CGI Orcs, looks corny as hell. Also more war and less "I got my stupid Orc girlfriend pregnant story". 2/5 stars. Movie honestly made no sense or I was just super stoned. 

to be fair i'd watch most medievalesq fantasy series thats even half good, animated or not! :P 

2 hours ago, Beanlips said:

The new warcraft movie should of been all CGI; mixing real life people and CGI Orcs, looks corny as hell. Also more war and less "I got my stupid Orc girlfriend pregnant story". 2/5 stars. Movie honestly made no sense or I was just super stoned. 

Yeah, such big expectations and then....wtf was this? Movie proudly titled "the beginning" and yet did not told story from beginning.

It would just end up like another Clone Wars... and nobody wants that.

3 hours ago, Elicas said:

It would just end up like another Clone Wars... and nobody wants that.

CW was awesome. >:(

3 hours ago, Lilaina said:

CW was awesome. >:(

CW was an infantile travesty.

1 hour ago, Mal Do'Urden said:

@Elicas You are forgetting one redeeming thing in CW. Duel of the Fates soundtrack.

Yeah, but that's from Episode 1 so it's hardly a CW specific plus point. Besides, no amount of good sound work can redeem a shit filled mess like the prequels or CW.

8 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Yeah, but that's from Episode 1 so it's hardly a CW specific plus point. Besides, no amount of good sound work can redeem a shit filled mess like the prequels or CW.

Well, i guess its all generation wise.I liked prequels(ok, episode 2 is shite).To this day i prefer watching 1,2,3 & animated series over classic trilogy.

1 hour ago, Sallerius said:

Well, i guess its all generation wise.I liked prequels(ok, episode 2 is shite).To this day i prefer watching 1,2,3 & animated series over classic trilogy.

Possibly, now you've made me feel really old. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

Possibly, now you've made me feel really old. Thanks for that.

Important thing is that ur not "old" in da head, u still love to play:).

3 hours ago, Sallerius said:

I'm so sorry for you... honestly, that's just unforgivable.

(let it go... let it go... let it go...)

Really? When's the last time you watched Empire?

Ugh. Please forgive me.

Funny story: Good friend of mine once said he liked Jar Jar Binks.  He thought Jar Jar was funny. 

I proceeded to throw a full, un-opened can a beer right at his head. It connected, and I've never apologized for it.

Like @Elicas said, I guess I"m just old.

On 25.1.2017 at 1:17 PM, Mal Do'Urden said:

Excuse me sir, but one simply does not mention these two in the same sentence since (imho) GoT simply can not rise to the level of LotR. (the Hobbit is completely different case though, I give you that)

Other than that, I would also like the Warcraft series but with latest butchering of the lore by the company that shall not be named I can imagine how it would turn out and that always returns me back to the ground.

both are shit

On 25.1.2017 at 1:55 PM, Lilaina said:

thats cute, pretending to know something bout tv industry

23 hours ago, Elicas said:

all star wars movies are infantile

30 minutes ago, Ugondiss said:

Funny story: Good friend of mine once said he liked Jar Jar Binks.  He thought Jar Jar was funny. 

Yeah, dunno what he was thinking when he created Jar Jar.But hey, two decades later, Jar Jar Abrams strikes back with episode VII. And yes, for me, Empire is most watchable, other two are just boring:)

On 27. 1. 2017 at 4:00 PM, Elicas said:

So is the prequel trilogy and the whatever even is the movies they started doing recently.

3 hours ago, Sallerius said:

Yeah, dunno what he was thinking when he created Jar Jar.But hey, two decades later, Jar Jar Abrams strikes back with episode VII. And yes, for me, Empire is most watchable, other two are just boring:)

Well, Empire is the one where you glimpse the life at a proper rebel base, then shit hits the fan, all hope is lost, Han is captured, Luke becomes somewhat less dextrous, and it all perfectly sets up the "how are they gonna get out of this?"

What carried over to Jedi from this (since in Empire he was mostly stuck on Dagobah), is the more seriosu air he got around him. Showed that he is mastering the Force.

Edited by Xaverius