Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 01/30/2017

34 posts in this topic

It's a good thing that you adressed the scripting - now people can rest easy for once.

1 hour ago, Darkrasp said:

While it is in my Canadian nature to be self-effacing, I would like to point out that I'm learning a tremendous amount by expanding my responsibility here and taking on new tasks.  In a matter of about two years, I went from doing only research, to scripting and database work (which really took a very short time to learn, although I spent nearly two years doing only this), to core development, without any IT experience whatsoever.  If you're a player and you're interested in emulation, programming, or even just stretching your brain muscle a little and learning something new, I encourage you not to underestimate yourself.  Learning about Lua, or SQL, or C++ will put you in good shape to contribute to many projects, and it doesn't take long.  Heck, we're always looking for interested people to add to our scripting roster.

My primary motivation for being in this project isn't to make money, or "be the biggest server", or anything like that.  I do this because it's a challenge, and because I learn new things all the time.  If my fumbling efforts end up leaving me any kind of legacy in this community, I'd rather it be that I encouraged a whole lot of people to get involved in recreational software development than for any specific fix or research or anything else I manage to produce.

I myself had no experience whatsoever when i joined a server-team some 4 years back in time. I really enjoyed the Database-Work as well as the research part, but when our lead-programmer send me a copy of "C++ for dummys" (or somewhat in that direction it was called) i hissed the white flag xD. Looking back at it, it think there were mainly real-life-issues that kept me away from diving any deeper, but also the lack of possibilities in the direction of "learning by doing" ... as stupid it sounds, but i always learnt more in action than in pure theory^^.

It's always a pleasure to read these updates. I think, besides your compelling Canadian nature you have some real social-skills that are the backbone of, literally, every project out there, at least i get this feeling reading you on the forums :D.

A question just popped into my mind, concerning the NPC-scripts. Are the call-for-help-shouts already working the way they should (constantly), because this issue you can encounter on many servers (fleeing mobs that don't pull additional groups, because they only have an initial "call for help" in their scripting)? 

Greetings

So, a couple of thoughts on this.

First, the community is well aware of the tip of the iceberg effect here. So everyone else associated with the project might feel their work and efforts aren't seen or appreciated. 

Truth of the matter is we that while we can't see what all of you are doing, we can see how the project is progressing. Crestfall is very much the sum of all of its parts. Everything to me seems to be in working order, with the focus very much on getting the job done in a professional manner, taking pride in your work afterwards, something that should always be the case.

Secondly, these halcyon days will not last. As we get closer to beta and the staff start the necessary efforts to advertise the server, the forums here will start to get diluted. This is not to denigrate the new members or a desire to show elitism, it's a very necessary occurrence that ensures both realms will survive and prosper.

The community here on the forums need to take the steps necessary to ensure that the esprit de corps remains in place. So regardless of what social medium we use, positive reinforcement should remain our weapon of choice.

1 hour ago, Darkrasp said:

Canadian

Liar.

You didn't say sorry once in that whole post.

Thanks for the update, Darkrasp, the on-going work is much appreciated. 

Thank you for the update!

Very mature and professional response to the whole Netherwing situation. 

4 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Since it's topical, yes, we did see the leaked Netherwing chat. 

If anything, seeing the leak made me believe even more on you guys. If people are afraid of your release, are sure you are ahead of their schedule and even want to steal information/databases/research... Then I'm glad CF is doing well.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Thanks alot for the update. It's good to hear you have implemented deeper security measures. 

Looking forward to the next update. 

It's been a nice post to read, I think you are handling PR and the netherwing-gate thing in a very professional way.

Keep up the good work!

someone tldr for me

'The Netherwing Situation'

Sounds like a new ludlum novel

I almost never comment on these, but seeing as it's been 1,209,720 seconds since the last update I thought I'd share the big smile :D that I had on my face reading through this update particularly.  I really do appreciate how dedicated you and the rest of the team are to this project and delivering the best server possible.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

8 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

We hadn't run the code through a unix compiler in quite some time

Just curious why isn't the test realm hosted on Unix machine?

When I had my server running the very alpha realm was running on my Linux server. I did fixes and changes on local machine (Windows), pushed changes to Git repo and then synced the alpha realm on Linux. Of course this was a while ago, when Windows servers were... well, they were what they were :P Obviously times have changed and things can work better now.

Other than that, great update as always. Staying tuned.

EDIT: I obviously missed that one line there... My apologies!

Edited by Deserteagle

9 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

p.s.  Since it's topical, yes, we did see the leaked Netherwing chat.  While there was a lot said in there about us, I think it's fair to say we learned our lesson earlier and don't wish to take anything personal, or make anything personal.  We've talked to our own Beta testers and made it very clear that disrespectful behavior towards staff at other projects, even out of public chat, is unwelcome and will result in removal from the team.  I believe it's fine to criticize code, but not the coder.  There's a difference between a professional criticism and a personal attack, and while I know we have said some inconsiderate things in the past, we do strive to stay on the courteous side of that line.

About this i think this is somthing we as a community should follow aswell. 

10 hours ago, Polyphem said:

Are the call-for-help-shouts already working the way they should (constantly), because this issue you can encounter on many servers (fleeing mobs that don't pull additional groups, because they only have an initial "call for help" in their scripting)? 

It needs a little tweaking still, but yes.

Any streams coming up Darkrasp? I think I missed all your previous ones since time difference and all.

Nice update. The projects is moving along nicely. Also, do updates come out every two weeks? I haven't been here long and I'm curious to know.

19 minutes ago, VladAtheris said:

Nice update. The projects is moving along nicely. Also, do updates come out every two weeks? I haven't been here long and I'm curious to know.

Every two weeks is correct

Thanks for the update, Darkrasp. I think I'll just be waiting for open beta though and then helping out when I can instead of getting involved in all this private server drama goin on lately. ;;
besides, new Harvest Moon game comin' out soon, no time for WoW...

also, any news on any new videos coming out soon? 

something original:

thank you for the update :D

but seriously I can't wait to see the final product, not WoW. but REAL vanilla WoW ! This server has the potential to break everything and every "record" that has been there before.

I am sure there will be major attention when the server goes live. all those "youtubers" hyped other servers and laughed about CF will all be streaming and making vids of CF in the end.

1iocbx.jpg

Edited by Budge

13 hours ago, cell007 said:

Thanks for the update, Darkrasp. I think I'll just be waiting for open beta though and then helping out when I can instead of getting involved in all this private server drama goin on lately. ;;
besides, new Harvest Moon game comin' out soon, no time for WoW...

also, any news on any new videos coming out soon? 

I'm actually glad u talked about Harvest Moon i've forgotten about that game for long time, i remenber playing Harvest Moon : Friends of Mineral Town on my Game Boy Advance Emulator, i see the new one is gonna be about creating an eco system, really cool !

Can't wait for that.

Also i apologize for the off topic here :D