Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 01/30/2017

34 posts in this topic

@Darkrasp While I do not doubt that scripting engine effort will pay off in a long run, somewhere at the point of progression into WotLK, I wonder was it worth the time that could've been spent on the core systems? I first asked Asura if CF needed volunteer devs/scripters at the end of summer, in October the recruitment of scripters was announced, now its February - scripts are the easier part of emulation if the core functionality is in place. Could  you estimate the time invested into this engine to date?

While scripting is technically easier, it's also a lot more time consuming and requires longer testing to nail it all down as you have to run all those events in real time as a player would to see if it works smoothly, restarting over and over after every fix. Let's not forget proofreading.

With source code stuff, you can just have a revelation and figure out how to fix something in a neat and efficient manner, then you just test it in all possible situations that come to mind in few minutes, and you're done if nothing fails. Scripting is long and tiresome no matter how good you are at it.

Edited by Terpsichore

There's more to it than just the time invested in the engine.. there's also the challenge of creating your own system from scratch.  Asura was unhappy with the existing systems for scripting so he decided to make his own.  Now it's done.  The security update kind of pushed everything else to the side temporarily - we considered it absolutely vital to enact those changes as soon as possible.  I know that opening up the scripting to volunteers has taken way longer than we hoped.  Honestly I wanted to have people working on this by November at the latest, but it is what it is.   We'd rather do it once correctly than deal in half-measures and have to make more major changes later on.

The big thing is the time we save by making the scripting engine entirely modular.  By having it accessible via Lua or SQL, we can open it up and let literally anyone write and contribute scripts for any expansion.  The scripting engine won't change.  The amount of time it will save us is going to be in direct proportion to how much content is contributed by volunteers.  The time it would take me to write 400 quest scripts alone versus the time it would take for me to just check them over for obvious problems.. Worth a lot, I think, especially if a couple of the scripters prove trustworthy and reliable enough to earn staff positions as scripting leads, and then they can check the scripts over, so I don't even have to bother with them at all and can focus on other work.  Then take that going forward into TBC and beyond.. absolutely worthwhile to invest the time now.

I was into WoW development some time ago and then I dropped my project because I was working solo on it plus other things in life in general.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine "convinced" me to play vanilla with him due to Nost/Elys hype currently going on.

Now recently I have learned of this project. It looks pretty good, the part I like the most is the Clustering method.

I dug up an old promo video I had slapped together (quite shitty mind you though I am no video editor) and uploaded it, of my project.

It is a total different concept of the game style. Also, goes to show how powerful/useful lua can be.

Edited by sen8sei

4 hours ago, Outstanding said:

You interview well...

No kidding. Don't start sweating now though. It will make negotiating salary even harder. Gotta get this one before the competition.

2 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Damn, yeah.  You're on the list.  :D

List.gif.3aa52caff2850528f99f75ad03fa3b7

We really appreciate all the work you're putting into this. You're the best!