Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HijacK

[Debate] The viability of Fire Mages

Pardon me for asking, but I never played this class before. However, I want to give it a try in CF, and I was wondering if I could, perhaps, get some insight from more experienced players.

You see, I am well aware in the early end game days of vanilla the frost mage was a dominating force that wreaked havoc both in pve and pop in terms of dps and usability.

However, since Naxx has bosses with ice resistance, I was wondering, when is an adequate time of switching?

Would a fire mage be viable in AQ? From the raw talents of the talent trees and spell damage ratios that are attributed to each spell, it appears that fire bolt has a much higher potential for damage than frost bolt.

I am not proficient in theorycrafting by any means, but a 2-46-3 spec I found to be quite powerful judging by apparent numbers.

Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks! Best regards.

Actually I played fire mage through vanilla back in the days. from MC to Naxx.

Frost mages would dominate me in MC and/or BWL (not even sure about BWL). But from AQ on I was the king.

I remember when I joined my friends guild and they all had AQ-Naxx gear. And there I was, some ZG and MC gear, didn't even know how to equip properly.

But at the end of the naxx raid their guild leader called all those mages out why I outdps'ed all of them with my gear :D that were great memories!

But seriously. I think fire mage / elemental mage is the way to go from AQ on (or maybe even earlier)

Fire is what you use anywhere outside of MC and BWL, frost is very subpar in comparison and only used due to immunities in those places, way less mana intensive though.

Also, you might be asked to get Improved Blizzard for Gluth if your hunters suck.

Fire has the highest dmg. Only reason you go frost is cuz of fire immunity.

14 minutes ago, Frost said:

Fire has the highest dmg. Only reason you go frost is cuz of fire immunity.

pretty accurate description. Only your name distracts  a little :D

Hello Hijack

I have few things for you which might be useful.

Fire is way to go after BWL but its also mana expensive but with good coordination in mage chat, good specs and proper amount of fire mages in raid with threath/bad ignite macros thing will go smooth, keep in mind that only 4-5 mages with fire spec is enough in each raid, any more than that will cause overagroing all time due high threath of ignite and with each extra fire mage in raid its geting harder to control ignite..... noone can teach you how to play with fire, it is indied 2 button spec but in the hand of wrong player it can wipe whole raid in few moments so be careful with it.

This is standard fire spec, it will serve well in AQ/NAXX http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0Ab0MZxgM0fcht0h

This is my favorite fire spec, with the progression in AQ/NAXX precasting on trash is mandatory, by the time you get to AQ you will have some decent amount of  spell crit so Pyro crit from mage and and Scorch spam will take down any mob.http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0Ab0cZxgMzfcut  

Now we are at frost and that never ending discusion is fire beter than frost, you will be suprised how good frost is with mix of 2 specs.

2 mages in raid with http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0yb0cZZVA0fMfzVo to apply WC and rest of them with http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0E0ofquZVA0c0s and you are redy to go.

For some TC chek http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=13272.0

For the sake of your brain clles get  Trade Dispenser its best addon mage can get, spend 10min on him and never again you will have to trade water manualy to each mana use in raid, also XRS is great addon for buffs... you gona buff ppl most of time so beter get it asap.

Thats it from me.. hope it helps

Like others have allready posted, MC and BWL you should go frost and in AQ, Naxx fire is the best way to go. But that is only if you are in a serious raiding guild that you will be "forced" into this.

In retail vanilla we had 1 mage in our guild that refused to spec frost in MC and BWL, his damage was awefull. But due guild politics I could not get rid of him :( But we survived in the end, so yeah..

Should you raid as a fire mage, I recommend http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0E00MZxgM0fcht0h

Going for Pyro and Blastwave is not that usefull in raids imo. Should the need arise to AoE stuff, just cast flamestrike and Blizzard. And having the Imp Scorch ability always available to you is always usefull.

But in the end, just use a build what you think that feels best to your playstyle. I always did so and I did allright B|

For pvp frost is the only viable option.

Unless you're talking of just POM pyroing or nuking a target.

The main PvP specs are full frost and elemental, but fire is also well viable when geared enough and in a premade as the damage output is simply absurd.

16 hours ago, WingziuM said:

But in the end, just use a build what you think that feels best to your playstyle. I always did so and I did allright

Amen. I usually on purpose go and level in a spec people consider "slow" and have fun while doing that.