Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steaktips

Proper Quest Level Requirements

Something I've noticed on http://db.vanillagaming.org/ as well as Elysium/Nostalrius is improper quest starting requirements. There are a lot of nice items you can obtain at lower levels that are especially lucrative to twinks. At the top of my head I can think of Glacial Stone from http://db.vanillagaming.org/?quest=1046, which is obtainable at level 19, but according to DB and testing on Elysium I cannot obtain this quest unless I'm level 30, which is incorrect. Another twink item is Inferno Robe from the quest http://db.vanillagaming.org/?quest=566, which was also obtainable at 19. Do you guys have proper documentation on which quests were available when? This would be of great help to the future twinking community as well as a relief for certain people leveling characters. I know there's been times where I was following Joana's guide and I was the correct level, but wasn't able to accept a quest on Nostalrius because of improper quest starting level implementation.

Hey! There is more of these.
I've been recently doing some research about leveling guides compare (Joana's 1.27 -> 1.06) and I can say that vanillagaming data base has lots of 'bugs' about min/max quest level required (due to guide).

There was no wowhead back in 2004-2005 but You can try some thottbot/alakazam archives.

Btw. about Joana's guide - there was plenty of versions and the only one official avaible now is the WotLk version (aka 1.28)
The 1.06v (archived copy: http://xoma-rnd.narod.ru/1-60-horde-leveling-guide-v1.06.htm) is also non-vanilla version (example: "diabolical plans" - Ashenvale) But the 1.06 also has some other stuff that was changed in 2004-2005 so I'm not sure if testing this kind of stuff with Joana's guide is good or bad (there might be bugs).

I don't know about atlas addon version of Joana's guide because I never used that (I alt-tab like a pleb).

Btw. Devs - It would be nice to know if you took those (min/max level req.) from vanillagaming.db or you were actually searching archived databases for any ingame quest.

Bye : )

Edited by duzyizly

It's actually really easy to find the correct official quest levels.

The first 8 printings of this has a list ripped directly from the database by the devs for Bradygames that gives the minimum and the recommended quest level for every quest in the game at the time of printing.

I've got the 8th edition print version, which is from 2005, just before AQ40 dropped.

5 hours ago, Elicas said:

I've got the 8th edition print version, which is from 2005, just before AQ40 dropped.

And you are a beta tester.

Nice.

9 hours ago, Elicas said:

The first 8 printings of this has a list ripped directly from the database by the devs for Bradygames that gives the minimum and the recommended quest level for every quest in the game at the time of printing.

I can provide information from the first printing, although i have the german version of it. Difference for example is, that nothing is written about Dire Maul aso. I wonder if there are any significant changes between the printings?

4 hours ago, Pinkbeard said:

Interestingly the first quest in the quest series Raene's Cleansing has the correct(according to op) req. level. http://db.vanillagaming.org/?quest=1024 

As for WANTED, might this be a prerequisite? http://db.vanillagaming.org/?quest=549

@Steaktips Have you tried completing the prerequisites?

Yes I have. I was on my Gnome Mage level 28 completing Raene's Cleansing. I got to the very last part where you turn in the skull and the rod to end the chain, but I couldn't accept the quest because I wasn't level 30. I came back in 2 levels and sure enough there was the quest. Trust me when I say it's incorrect values for sure. I'm attentive to details like this. I was also doing the Tower of Althalaxx the part where you get the guys head inside the tower in Darkshore. I got the guys head and turned it in at level 27. The last part of that chain just requires you to talk to somebody after you've turned in the head. I wasn't able to accept the last part because on DB and Nost that part of the chain wasn't acquirable until level 28. I returned at the proper level and there was my quest to just talk to somebody and end the chain. This is not only counter intuitive, but just not the way it worked in Vanilla. I mean think about it for Raene's the last part you kill a level 29 mob, but to turn in the last part you have to be level 30? You don't even have to look if there is a prerequisite because you can clearly see on the quest on DB that it has a high level requirement and Nost just copied all these database values. Kronos has done a wonderful job of fixing the quest requirements and these particular quests all behave correctly on Kronos.

Edit: Also according to DB the Wanted quest you linked is not a prerequisite of the one I linked, but the comments say it is.  It wouldn't matter anyways, though because of the level 35 start requirement on the one I originally linked.

Edited by Steaktips

Alright, I see you looked into this! I also remember follow up quests not being availible on certain private servers, when they seemingly should be, but couldn't remember wether or not that's accurate.

Do you know if all or perhaps most follow up quests should be availible at the same level as the initial one?  Or just lower than some of db vanilla's values?

On 2/3/2017 at 2:45 AM, Elicas said:

@Elicas @Darkrasp

So I did some digging and found this! https://ia600204.us.archive.org/35/items/World_of_Warcraft_World_of_Warcraft_BradyGames_Official_Strategy_Guide/World_of_Warcraft_World_of_Warcraft_BradyGames_Official_Strategy_Guide.pdf

On page 215 all the quests are listed with their minimum level, recommended level, XP values and more. Goldmine of information here although I'm sure the devs probably already know about this, but if not it'd be very helpful for correct database information. Unfortunately it doesn't look as though dungeon quests are listed in the guide.

Thanks, yeah.  We do have a copy of this.

Oh damn, those brady guides. The original one, and the ones that came with TBC battlechest... I fight the urge to cry every time I hold them in my hands these days. It's a relic of the past. A proper paper database. Gone are the days, gone.

24 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Oh damn, those brady guides. The original one, and the ones that came with TBC battlechest... I fight the urge to cry every time I hold them in my hands these days. It's a relic of the past. A proper paper database. Gone are the days, gone.

At least you still have yours...all the pages from my paper guide have fallen off ages ago. I pretty much learned how to read English from that thing. I still remember "reading" a passage about dwarves and seeing a part that said "brave dwarves." I recognized those two words from the title of a game I had played (http://www.ign.com/games/brave-dwarves-2/pc-566250) and assumed that the two games take place in the same world and have the same characters. xD

33 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

At least you still have yours...all the pages from my paper guide have fallen off ages ago. I pretty much learned how to read English from that thing. I still remember "reading" a passage about dwarves and seeing a part that said "brave dwarves." I recognized those two words from the title of a game I had played (http://www.ign.com/games/brave-dwarves-2/pc-566250) and assumed that the two games take place in the same world and have the same characters.

Text comprehension at its finest!
You are not alone though, I also learned English mostly by playing games. It was well before I got around to wow though, but it was a useful supplement to my first school English lessons - the evening course that only taught us how to say monkey, hippo, and count to 10. Coincidentally that course and the computer happened the same year.

I had a ... a bit dated English dictionary sitting on a table next to the PC that I used vigorously. I remember playing Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood with the mouse in one hand and the dictionary in the other.

As for pages falling out... When I come home from work, I might take a picture of the 2003 tips & tricks GameStar guide that did exactly that - which I solved using copious amounts of tape.