Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hevra

Farming class

29 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I'm planning to main a healer (probably a holy pally) and I wanted some advice on picking an alt for farming with. As I understand it, the most common picks are:

- mage

- hunter

- warlock

I haven't played any of these classes in vanilla so forgive any mistakes in the following. 

As I understand it mages spec for aoe frost grinding while hunters do single target grinding as BM and locks dot multiple mobs with drain spells. Mages have a constant supply of food and drink and the convenience of portals. Locks can life tap/drain so shouldn't need to stop and drink and have a soul stone for if it all goes tits up. Plus they Dave money on mounts.  Hunters should never die with a feign death. 

The downsides

- I'm not sure how well I could manage mage grinding; do you have to do lots of twitchy movement?  (I have a paralysed WASD hand/arm).

- inventory space - hunters and locks lose a bag to ammo/soul shards ? 

- viability in crap gear - I doubt I will have time to run lots of instances on my farming character

- with a really busy server should I pick s class that can solo instances (and if so which is best for that) due to competition on open world mobs? 

Thanks for reading, would appreciate your thoughts :)

Mage is the twich-ier of these to realize their survivability.

All three are very self-sufficient but the mage is probably the one requiring the more reactive play.

Hunters and Warlocks both have their pet to help and the nice thing is that pets are especially good at low gear.

Hunters can easily solo farm devilsaurs for devilsaur leather that sells for 10-20g/ea (You can get 4 leathers per hour solo if you have no competition)
Mages can AoE farm pretty much anything - I often see mages aoe the farms in WPL for runecloth and random BoE's
Warlocks can easily farm the elite demons in winterspring (and burning steppes I think?) that drops The Eye of Shadow. Just enslave a demon and use it to kill other demons.

I didn't include DME, DM Tribute and Maraudon since they won't be solo farm-able on CF afaik

Mages/Warlocks will be easier for you if you have a bad hand/arm imo - at least if you're farming either of the spots I mentioned.

Edited by Cruzix

Out of left field, can I suggest druids? Here is the reasoning..

1 no need to buy a mount

2 you can stealth in to get nodes

3 differing forms give unique advantages, such as fishing in BoS you can use seal form to get to elemental patches of water

4 you can take on elites albeit slowly

5 Swiss army knife approach to life

6 uber in TBC

1 hour ago, Hevra said:

I'm planning to main a healer (probably a holy pally) and I wanted some advice on picking an alt for farming with

Why can't You just farm Dire Maul East with pally (once it's released)?

Let's say You need about 100 hours to get Your alt up to lvl 60 (because obviously You are leveling it with rested XP and You have money for mount/items/enchants etc.)
Let's say 1 hour of DMe farm givess You about 50g (because it does).
So 100 hours of DMe farm gives You about 5000 gold.
And because You have gold - You can buy "everything else" in this game.

So, spending 100 hours for leveling and another 100 for gringing the same amount of gold that You can get in 100 hours (100<200)... Especially if Your arm/hand is paralysed.

So I fell like it's wasting time (100 hours  to get 60 alt and achieve nothing [if you need it ONLY as "farming class"]).

But it's just my opinion and "I know nothing about this game".

Edited by duzyizly

51 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

Hey, I never played vanilla and in fact never raided. But every guide I've seen says the boringmost part of being a healer is farming for consumables in between raids.

Having an alt that can do it quickly/easily wouldn't be a waste of time, right?

Yeah, DPS-ing with a holy Pally (from what I heard) is hell. It's hard to kill a mob when your only ability is to bore them to death ! 

1 hour ago, duzyizly said:

Why can't You just farm Dire Maul East with pally (once it's released)?

Let's say You need about 100 hours to get Your alt up to lvl 60 (because obviously You are leveling it with rested XP and You have money for mount/items/enchants etc.)

So, spending 100 hours for leveling and another 100 for gringing the same amount of gold that You can get in 100 hours (100<200)... Especially if Your arm/hand is paralysed.

So I fell like it's wasting time (100 hours  to get 60 alt and achieve nothing [if you need it ONLY as "farming class"]).

But it's just my opinion and "I know nothing about this game".

DME solo farming won't be possible afaik

On 3.02.2017 at 1:42 PM, Tamaskan said:

Hey, I never played vanilla and in fact never raided. But every guide I've seen says the boringmost part of being a healer is farming for consumables in between raids.

Having an alt that can do it quickly/easily wouldn't be a waste of time, right?

On 3.02.2017 at 1:48 PM, hettar987 said:

Yeah, DPS-ing with a holy Pally (from what I heard) is hell. It's hard to kill a mob when your only ability is to bore them to death ! 

5 min per run... Damn mages can do it in 2...
So... let's calculate it:

1. PALADIN:

100 hours = 6000 min
Time needed for 1 run = 5 min
x=6000/5=1500
Then Paladin can run 1500 DME in 100 hours

2. MAGE:

100 hours = 6000 min
Time need for 1 run = 2 min
x=6000/2=3000
Then Mage can run 3000 DME in 100 hours

But don't forget that you need another 100 hours for leveling up alt mage so:
200 hours = 12000 min
Time needed for 1 DME run = 2min
Time needed for lvl 60 = 6000 min
x=(12000-6000)/2=15003000

So the first value of "farming alt mage" you can get by running DME 1501st time.

On 3.02.2017 at 1:42 PM, Tamaskan said:

boringmost part of being a healer is farming for consumables

Welcome in Vanilla.

Edited by duzyizly

6 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

DME solo farming won't be possible afaik

why so?

Just now, duzyizly said:

why so?

because they'll remove the option to teleport out of instances with the relog bug which was used to farm in there. (Same reason why maraudon wont be farmable)

4 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

because they'll remove the option to teleport out of instances with the relog bug which was used to farm in there. (Same reason why maraudon wont be farmable)

1. unequip items
2. die on purpose
3. come back to the dungeon (2 min travel time from the graveyard)
4. move out
5. /script ResetInstances()
6. move in
7. clear mobs
-repeat

What about this solution?

Edited by duzyizly

8 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

1. unequip items
2. die on purpose
3. come back to the dungeon (2 min travel time from the graveyard)
4. move out
5. /script ResetInstances()
6. move in
7. clear mobs
-repeat

What about this solution?

I guess, but I'm sure they have something else in mind to counter that then.. Because they are also making custom events to prevent hunters from soloing DM tribute, so doing the same for DM E would only be fair i guess

Edited by Cruzix

It's not just the teleporting out that is fixed.The loot from lashers in DME will be nerfed so farming there won't be as lucrative:

2 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

It's not just the teleporting out that is fixed.The loot from lashers in DME will be nerfed so farming there won't be as lucrative:

22 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

I guess, but I'm sure they have something else in mind to counter that then.. Because they are also making custom events to prevent hunters from soloing DM tribute, so doing the same for DM E would only be fair i guess

What about the other forms of fast money grind in vanilla like:
1. rogue pickpocket runs (along with mining dark iron)
2. rogue chest runs (example naxx)
3. mage aoe grind BRD arena (upstairs)
4. mage aoe grind elementals in silithus
etc...

26 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

What about the other forms of fast money grind in vanilla like:
1. rogue pickpocket runs (along with mining dark iron)
2. rogue chest runs (example naxx)
3. mage aoe grind BRD arena (upstairs)
4. mage aoe grind elementals in silithus
etc...

They are far from as efficient as DM tribute/East or Maraudon farming. Rogue pickpocket isn't worth it at all, it's better to grind specific mobs. Rogue chest run I don't know of and the mage AoE farms you mentioned won't be effective if everyone does them since those materials aren't anywhere near as much in demand as herbs (and DME also gives good raw gold)

I don't know if they'll do other changes to DME though, it's just something I would find to be fair considering the custom changes to DM Tribute.

Edited by Cruzix

15 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

They are far from as efficient as DM tribute/East or Maraudon farming. Rogue pickpocket isn't worth it at all, it's better to grind mobs. Rogue chest run I don't know of and the mage AoE farms won't be effective if everyone does them since those materials arent as much in demand as herbs (and DME also gives good raw gold)

The question is "what gonna be most efficient way to farm gold if DME will be banned" - and the 2nd question is "are They going to ban it aswell?" - and the 3rd question "if the 2nd gonna be banned so the 3rd and 10th gonna be banned aswell?".

I fell like I'm gonna start a topic about that.

Edited by duzyizly

5 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

The question is "what gonna be most efficient way to farm gold if DME will be banned" - and the 2nd question is "are They going to ban it aswell?" - and the 3rd question "if the 2nd gonna be banned so the 3rd and 10th gonna be banned aswell?".

I fell like I'm gonna start a topic about that.

Crafting + Gathering professions, recipe farming, cloth and high value junk items farming (bats in EPL as an example) So pretty much like the old days when DM E/Tribute + maraudon wasn't as known as it is today

Edited by Cruzix

3 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Out of left field, can I suggest druids? Here is the reasoning..

1 no need to buy a mount

2 you can stealth in to get nodes

3 differing forms give unique advantages, such as fishing in BoS you can use seal form to get to elemental patches of water

4 you can take on elites albeit slowly

5 Swiss army knife approach to life

6 uber in TBC

I hadn't considered druid at all, I just assumed the kill speed would be glacial... but if I took mining and herbing I could stealth around/fly (when TBC is out). *ponders*

Enslaving the demons does sound fun, though ^^

Please, don't forget that instances allow 5 resets per hour as it was on retail. So no 1500 runs per 100 hours are possible no matter how fast you can get out.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:25 AM, duzyizly said:

200 hours = 12000 min
Time needed for 1 DME run = 2min
Time needed for lvl 60 = 6000 min
x=(12000-6000)/2=1500

X equals 3000 not 1500. 12000 - 6000 = 6000. 6000/2 = 3000

3 minutes ago, HijacK said:

X equals 3000 not 1500. 12000 - 6000 = 6000. 6000/2 = 3000

Ture but efficient lashers farm won't be avaible on CF.

Anyways I think the answer of this topic is: MAGE.

My personal opinion will be druid. The world is huge so in my view we can make gold from many, many places. Herbs, metal veins, cloth farming, low lvl dungeons, just so many things. Stealth,dps,tank and selfheal - thats reasons why i like druid. 

47 minutes ago, Triballone said:

My personal opinion will be druid. The world is huge so in my view we can make gold from many, many places. Herbs, metal veins, cloth farming, low lvl dungeons, just so many things. Stealth,dps,tank and selfheal - thats reasons why i like druid. 

Absolutely. Just to add to that. I've been levelling up a Shaman, a class I really love. I took a break to build up rest XP and went back with my Druid in STV. Dear God the difference was unbelievable.