Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
duzyizly

Ways of gold farming "banned" from Crestfall

42 posts in this topic
11 hours ago, Oratai said:

And as Darkrasp mentioned, players do have to be able to farm gold somehow!

Not hunters or mages....rogues only....

On 11. 2. 2017 at 8:50 PM, mrmr said:

Not hunters or mages....rogues only....

As a rogue, this seems perfectly balanced.

gotta love those pickpocket runs !
Oh boy!

Those rogue tears are so wonderful ! :P

But what about the people whose vanilla experience was farming massive amounts of gold and breaking the economy? Shouldn't we cater to them too?

21 hours ago, Kelila said:

But what about the people whose vanilla experience was farming massive amounts of gold and breaking the economy? Shouldn't we cater to them too?

It's so hard to tell if you're being ironic or not, and I cba going through your post history to help make that deduction.

Either way, I will contribute with my thoughts on the matter:

Compate with this:

A solution that benefits the majority on the expense of a few bending the rules is prefered.

and this:

This nut has been up for discussion on the forums before: If something was Blizzlike but not intended, should it be fixed? Do try to crack it. ;)

In this case I agree with Roadblock.

@Pinkbeard I was being sarcastic.  As much as I enjoyed the DM North gold farm on Nostalrius, it definitely can hurt the economy and was definitely intended to be fixed by blizzard.  A few hundred runs in, I had so much gold it didn't matter. I was just enjoying doing it to see how optimized I could make the route and test my times.  I would love for The CF guys to pass some changes so the solo can't be exploited for the excess of gold that I had on Nost, but still have it be possible to do the solo just to have fun.  From what Darkrasp has said, it looks like that'll be the case. So yes I'm in agreement with Roadblock as well :)

On 2/5/2017 at 8:34 PM, Darkrasp said:

Our plans for this currently extend no further than fixing the bug that allows players on private servers to reset an instance from inside the instance, and to make the Gordok Tribute chest unobtainable unless Guard Slip'kik and Captain Kromcrush are dealt with in some way - either by frost trap, ogre suit, or killing them in combat.  Alternatively, we can set a script condition such that unless Slip'kik is frozen, he is considered "dead", and unless Kromcrush preforms his Ogre Suit routine, he is also considered "dead" for the purposes of generating Tribute loot.

There is clearly expressed intention from Blizzard on how the Tribute was supposed to work: you got the option of killing Mol'dar and Fengus, or avoiding them by pathing carefully around them.  Slip'kik and Kromcrush were positioned such that they were obviously only intended to be either killed, or bypassed through usage of the special scripted mechanics provided.  Failure to do so should result in forfeiture of the associated loot.

Though some things may of course be tweaked, other than the aforementioned cases, there are no plans to drastically alter any other loot tables or mechanics.

@DarkraspWill you be able to elaborate on this further down the road? Personally I mained a Warrior Tank almost on all of my playthroughs of my WoW experience. In order to farm/make gold I would always level a mage alt, gear it via pre-raid BiS moving onto Alt raid runs to make it as powerful as possible to allow for DM-E and ZG farming. I agree with changing exploits in order to prevent unfair advantages but those that put countless hours into leveling a character let alone hours of time into farming should not be penalized for doing something that actually happened in WoW's original iteration. The way Elysium handled this put a bad taste in my mouth by changing pathing and speed of the patrols effectively mutilating DM-E for unpleasant Farming experience.  Afterall high end raid progression is pretty darn expensive.

Recoil out.

30 minutes ago, Recoil said:

@DarkraspWill you be able to elaborate on this further down the road? Personally I mained a Warrior Tank almost on all of my playthroughs of my WoW experience. In order to farm/make gold I would always level a mage alt, gear it via pre-raid BiS moving onto Alt raid runs to make it as powerful as possible to allow for DM-E and ZG farming. I agree with changing exploits in order to prevent unfair advantages but those that put countless hours into leveling a character let alone hours of time into farming should not be penalized for doing something that actually happened in WoW's original iteration. The way Elysium handled this put a bad taste in my mouth by changing pathing and speed of the patrols effectively mutilating DM-E for unpleasant Farming experience.  Afterall high end raid progression is pretty darn expensive.

Recoil out.

Leveling a mage will still be really good for AoE farming if DM:E farming will be nerfed. Besides if it gets nerfed (along with all the other farming methods mentioned) the prices will change too.
It won't hurt you in any way, it just requires u to farm something different.

Edited by Cruzix

Keep it as blizzlike as possible. We have to be able to make gold somehow..

Blizzlike resources distribution or Blizzlike general experience and pacing? Can't have both at the same time, so pick one.

I disagree with basically any nerf to vanilla gold farming that was in retail. 1) in vanilla things are unbalanced. That's why we like it. You wanna level fast roll a Mage or hunter. You want to have two raid spec choices go warrior etc etc. mages will still be the best gold farming class because aoe and kiting. 2) blizzlike 3) unforeseen consequences. One of the packs in dm n on Elysium has an increased aggro radius so you can't skip it, which hurts regular parties as well as gold farmers 4) with the Chinese banning vpn's there's way less gold selling. Still a lot, but not as much, and I'd argue not server breaking. Gdkp will kill a server way faster than gold sellers these days. Hardline gold farming and player leveling nerfs only had a place when I was getting gold selling spam/power leveling spam every 2 minutes. 5) and I think this is the most overlooked aspect is how it affects the economy. The simple fact of the matter is even making 50g more an hour than the next best method won't affect the economy nearly as much as people who play the auction. It's true that servers have died before because of the economy, but that's almost always because somehow there was a way for auction players with like 100k gold to get armor with their gold, like gdkp. Even on Elysium no t2 guild will turn down 10k for a loot piece or something. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to play the auction house, but there needs to be a way to keep that gold from spreading across the population or else you'll end up with catastrophic inflation. Should tax the 1% of 1% of wow players 90% income tax lol. (Ps: bring Bernie back). TL;DR even the best blizzlike methods won't have that sizable an effect on the server. And this is coming from a prot warrior main (i.e. I'm gunna be broke af.)

On 2/4/2017 at 8:05 AM, Roadblock said:

This is really a multi-factor issue.

One part goes under "bug fixes". On some occasions Blizzard has made numerous changes to prevent solo farm (DM:N is a prime example) with better or worse success.

http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-dungeons/298785.htm One such change, among others (concerning instance reset, bypassing doors, dog patrols etc) with the aggro range of patrolling guards.

So the intention is obvious on their part to discourage or limit the success of that strategy. CF would just be finishing the job.

The second and arguably larger part is the balancing act needed between other "hot" topics, like multi-accounting and multi-boxing and server pop caps.

Removal of the subscription money barrier makes the effects of those practices on both the server economy and "normal" players much more pronounced.

Easily exploitable gold or resource gathering sources blow up those issues even further.

That's the main reason I think limiting the effectiveness of those strategies - without penalizing skillful play - is important.

In my entirely personal opinion, farming instance trash or resources (taking the instance/hour limit into account) shouldn't be much more lucrative than farming elites in one of the same level elite areas in the outside world.

After all in the world there is always the possibility of competition, in instances there is none, it's like having your own personal money generator.

Effect on desirability of boting and / or gold seller shop farming is also a concern.

DM was not nerfed or even touched by blizzard according to your post until just a few months before Naxx, the final vanilla patch, was released.

To consider it a major issue is absurd. Especially considering mages can solo AoE farm nearly every instance in the game for massive amounts of gold. Most notably Live Strath, DM E, and ZG. Rogues can solo farm lockboxes, and nearly everyone abuses the auction house via mods that automatically allow them to purchase all under priced goods and resell them marked up.

I think nerfing legit ways of farming is stupid. Are we all to just constantly sit at the AH, not generating any raw gold into the system?

best way to level is, and I heard it from another guy, level 2 character at the same time and get max advantage from rested XP.

Posted (edited)

I think people will allways find things to farm efficient.

If we close one hole, they will just find another one. Personally I think that would be great. It will make people think about something "new" instead of copying what was done before.

I'm a little afraid though, changing easy spots will effect casual players which cant put in so much time ( I know its their own problem, but I still wanted to mention it)

Edited by Morrasul

On 4/23/2017 at 1:46 PM, Morrasul said:

I'm a little afraid though, changing easy spots will effect casual players which cant put in so much time ( I know its their own problem, but I still wanted to mention it)

I don't think that the "soloing part of an instance" farming is done by casual players. Even though it's more well-known now than on retail vanilla, not everybody does it. I don't think these farming methods should be banned, but lowering drop rates slightly to account for more people knowing this "exploit" seems pretty fair.

On Nostalrius, the population was pretty heavy. Doing any kind of world zone farming, you would run into people and had to fight for resources. Being able to solo an instance with no player interaction was a huge boon, even if you got the same gold per hour as optimal world zone farming methods. Can't say for sure, but I think when Crestfall finally drops it's going to have a hearty server population. If zones are heavily populated, that just gives more incentive to farm instances, even if the drop rates are slightly nerfed.

Posted (edited)

Hopefully it will have a healthy population. But iirc cf will have a player cap of 5.000 people which will prevent or at least reduce the "Nostalrius-effect" @WITCHCRAFT

Edited by Morrasul