Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Murok

Gatherer and server specific resource spawns

29 posts in this topic

Random spawn locations are an interesting idea.  When I think of something like Rich Thorium nodes in Un'Goro crater, that's where I have some concerns.  For the most part, the Rich Thorium nodes were generally all around the elite dinos in the southwest part of the zone.  If node spawns are randomized in a zone, is there a chance the rich thorium is just going to spawn in a safespot up in the northern parts of the zone.  One of the difficulties of farming in that region is avoiding the elites or having to clear them to farm a node.  That was a built in prevention for botters as well.  If you wanted to farm in Un'Goro you almost had to be active in the game, you couldn't write a script to avoid all of the mobs and safely farm everything (Silithus is a very similar situation).

As long as the node spawns can be randomized to a certain number of potential spawn points (as it was done already in retail vanilla), where it's not predictable exactly which node will spawn at what time, but if you want to farm you know which areas to look in, then I don't see a problem with randomized spawn points.  If the spawning is done across an entire zone though, it'll just decrease the frequency of a player being able to find a node. All of the sudden you have hardcore players who want to farm finding about as many nodes as casual players just passing by.  I don't think that's beneficial to the economy, nor does it favor the player putting in work to grind for an epic mount, or a respec.  Gathering professions become a game of RNG and not a viable source of income.  Maybe that is the intention, but I think farming nodes was part of the vanilla experience and shouldn't become even more of a game of chance.

I don't think nodes should be completely predictable, but they still need to be farmable.

Edited by Kelila

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎03 at 4:57 PM, Kelila said:

If the spawning is done across an entire zone though, it'll just decrease the frequency of a player being able to find a node. All of the sudden you have hardcore players who want to farm finding about as many nodes as casual players just passing by.

The problem with having a set (low)number of specific(spawn exactly at that spot) nodes is that hardcore players will gather them to a larger degree than on retail. I don't think having it more random will decrease the average time nodes are farmed by very much. It'll still be farmable but the farming routes will be more RNG heavy. Clever players will still find ways, they always do. If CF does as suggested before, to have a larger amount of possible spawn points and random spawn within X feet of the node I believe the gathering experience will be closer to the retail experience for the majority of the players.

To the OP: As others have already said, probably not.

6 hours ago, Pinkbeard said:

to have a larger amount of possible spawn points and random spawn within X feet of the node I believe the gathering experience will be closer to the retail experience for the majority of the players.

For the Rich Thorium, it's not really a small number of spawn points, there are probably 2-3 times as many spawn points as there are nodes available at a given time in the zone.  I definitely understand doing a random X feet of the node, that definitely hurts anyone trying to bot.  I really don't know how much that will change the feeling though, other than having to submit a lot more tickets for ores spawning inside of rocks and trees.

On 5 Apr 2017 at 3:23 PM, Kelila said:

For the Rich Thorium, it's not really a small number of spawn points, there are probably 2-3 times as many spawn points as there are nodes available at a given time in the zone.  I definitely understand doing a random X feet of the node, that definitely hurts anyone trying to bot.  I really don't know how much that will change the feeling though, other than having to submit a lot more tickets for ores spawning inside of rocks and trees.

Well, you might be right in that it won't change the feeling alot. But when you say that there usually is 2-3 times as many spawn points as there are nodes availible at any given time.. Based on my experience on the latest big private servers there's more like 50 times as many spawn points as there are availible nodes, because there are hardly any nodes availible at all. During busy hours that is. I do believe a reason for it is that some people power farm all day, and that their routes are easily optimized partly due to few spawn points.