Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

62 posts in this topic
13 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

... WotLK had its faults treasures (like DK's) ... 

fify

2. I love WoW. Luckily for me, I never had to go through early MMO's like Ultima, Age of Camelot and Everquest

I grew up on Ultima Online quite literally and it did things other games of the time didn't (for me) and it will forever hold a special place in my heart, which I'm sure can be said for DAOC and Everquest aswell so I must take slight offense, only very slightly however.

Edited by Hashem

Wow, man, I see you like to build walls of text. I absolutely agree with you, that's why we do this. Except for one thing, for me WotLK was my joy and home. I only had a chance to play on WotTK though. 

I came here to experience all the stuff that was before it, and I am sure I won't be disappointed. I fully trust Crestfall team.

By the way which side are you going to join? Would love to spend time in Azeroth with such a cool person.

First of all... nice thougs sir, i agree with you in your opinion on curent retail situation. I played WoW since it was a little child grew up to beauty as many of you here also.
The main thing is... that ppl like us, fans who play and love this game not just for some gear or awesome PVP rank or whatever, want to have this once again and for example i want to play it again bcs i never had an real chance to try progress AQ, Naxx or later BT, SSC etc etc....  i think thats the hardest things for us... perhaps it was bcs lack of time, family issues, new job, forming a family or perhaps something completely different, but the trueth is that if you wont be there back in time, you never had this chance again. Thats why i was allways a fan of progressive servers which blizzard could afford us, bcs as you said- alot of ppl play back on retail once, alot of us payd those fuckers alot alot of money and now, after 10 years for example, those twats say to us- fuck you, this is our game, you destroy our renown with those free servers? Such an arogance... /spit.

Unfortunately.... i was also there when every huge, promissing server had to be released with hyped player base and what we get? For example Emerald dream..... Such a huge server with so many promisses and how it end? Corrupted project which every guy left after he dinged 60... Phoenix realm? waste of time. Rebirth? nice server with cool population i found there american guild which suits me fain but lately they betrayl me, not to mention those devs there cant handle DDOS attacks and lately they deletet 2months of progress. Nostalrius? Yes a nice server at the begining... hah... how was i suprised when we hit 60 and my american colleagues told me- ok lad... now we had americans players so you EU lads will raid with us or find another guild, how suprised i was when we hit 60 and on forum/general, whole server celebrate another guild which killed ragnaros on the first run (!) without FR gear, without prequests, without reputation with hydraxian watterlords, well ok i was not so suprised when they shut it down. Kronos? I played on they every previous project old Archaica project, then Kronos 1, now "new" Kronos but how sad i was that absolutely nothing changed.... its like " Ok fellas, we start it again, made new characters, made new accounts, buy more our twin STARS and buy an nightsabber for your undead char...."
What i want to say is this- trust projects like this, be happy that someone made it for you/us, but be carefull bcs your dreams can easily turn into nightmare as i saw in my WoW life so many times which makes me wonder why i still play this game :P...

Now im here bcs my Norwegian, friend which brainwashed and persuade me to give this realm a chance..

Edited by Elanthus
text change

People who played WoW after TBC, would not understand what a true pleasure it was to play WoW back in the days, simply because they are used to WoW being far easier. Why would we want to wait to level 40 for a mount ? Because if you could afford a mount at level 40 you were special. The experience from obtaining an item was far superior to the one at retail right now. Working hard pays off. The community back then was a real community people would actually communicate rather than now with all the new things like RDF and so on. We had things like trade chat and trolls back then also, but it was good everyone one were a tad bit more mature then now. It's too bad that for the most part the community makes the game, since developers are aiming for the biggest age range at the moment and that's teens. Not that I'm that older 22 years here, but I was thought by my parents that if I want something, I should earn it by myself and not get everything as granted. And it feels like today's teens get everything for granted, even gaming.

P.S. Night elves best zones and music in the game ! : )

3 hours ago, Surrpass said:

People who played WoW after TBC, would not understand what a true pleasure it was to play WoW back in the days, simply because they are used to WoW being far easier. Why would we want to wait to level 40 for a mount ? Because if you could afford a mount at level 40 you were special. The experience from obtaining an item was far superior to the one at retail right now. Working hard pays off. The community back then was a real community people would actually communicate rather than now with all the new things like RDF and so on. We had things like trade chat and trolls back then also, but it was good everyone one were a tad bit more mature then now. It's too bad that for the most part the community makes the game, since developers are aiming for the biggest age range at the moment and that's teens. Not that I'm that older 22 years here, but I was thought by my parents that if I want something, I should earn it by myself and not get everything as granted. And it feels like today's teens get everything for granted, even gaming.

P.S. Night elves best zones and music in the game ! : )

A whole lot of this.

One of the reasons I played Vanilla in the first place (back when my friend that was playing on Nost told me I should try it) is becuase 90% of today's RPGs are so terrible in my eyes. Yeah, yeah "durrrr, special snowflake alert". I've been called that time and time again just because I have a problem with the direction RPGaming went. If it's not someone calling me an old fart that can't get with the times it's someone else saying I'm too young and I don't know what I'm talking about (I guess the latter would be correct. If I trully had no idea what I was talking about).

Anyway, to the point. I used to play games like Skyrim and Oblivion. Skyrim was one of the first games I actually played seriously (Played it when I was 11. It was the first game I actually developed an understanding for). Sure, I played and loved it for damn near 3 years. Then something happened... I played Morrowind. To spare you the details let's just say Morrowind = Vanilla WoW and Skyrim = WoD. I realised just how fucking SHIT the games I was playing were. Sure they were pretty, sure the stories they told were interesting but where the actual hell was the gameplay? Why was everything being spoon fed to me? Why was I even playing? It took me 3 years to realise what an absolute snore fest Skyrim was and for the exact same reason WoD is so bad today. Because absolutely everything is given to you. You couldn't challenge yourself in that game if you wanted to. Once I played Morrowind I moved on to other games simular to it (at first atleast). Generaly looked for a RPGs with more kick to them, y'know games that actually made you THINK before doing something. My picks were the first 2 TES games Arena and Daggerfall, The first 2 Fallout games, I revisited one of my childhood favorites Heroes of Might and Magic 4 and a bunch of others. Once I saw what an ACTUAL RPG was like... it was time to get into Vanilla WoW. Boy oh boy. The actual chance of dying that I was already acustomed to felt great. The need to actually build a character properly otherwise death would be innevitable kept me focused. The fact that no place was safe from enemy raids kept me on my toes but still didn't put me on edge too much. Everything felt... good. I don't want to say it was super challenging but it certainly mops the floor with 99% of what modern RPGaming can offer. Everything had a spark of challenge to it. Need to get somewhere? Figure out the best way to do that. Need something? Figure out the best way to get it. Need to get past some enemy players? Gonna sneak? How will you do it? Gonna fight? How will you do it? Gonna call for help? How will you do it? It required me to THINK like I would in real life and that felt so amazingly good whether or not I succeeded in the end or not. 

Meanwhile people playing Skyrim boast about completing playthrough number 143 because they did a "no alchemy run on Legendary". Get out of here. I seriously wouldn't have a problem with modern RPGs if they didn't trick people into thinking they're achieving something. But I guess that's the only way they'll sell in the end. And people like us? Well we're fucked. While little Timmy is having a blast playing WoD and Fallout 4, ploughing through enemies like they're paper cutouts WE sit here and wait for yet another private project to launch and then MAYBE get enough people on it to sustain it. WE fuck around with DOS emulators and all that crap while THEY complain that their games are downloading slowly because "they're too large". WE gain achievements in the games we play. Yes, they don't have a shiny pop up that creates the false illusion of accomplishing something, however they stay with us for much longer. Because OUR achievements to rely on a Steam or Xbox account to be seen. Our achievements stay with us. They aren't given to us, that's why. Furthermore we DECIDE what our achievements are. The mount at 40 might be a lot to most, but to he who spends hours in the auctionhouse... psh. What's 100 gold? 

I could say a WHOLE lot more but... I think that's already way too long for the jumbled mess of a rant that it is. Please do forgive me. It's a frustration that I've found easier to embrace rather than try to get rid of.

TL;DR: I hate modern RPGs. I love oldschool RPGs. I have unlimited access to modern RPGs. I have limited access to oldschool RPGs. This makes me sad.

It's quite simple for me, my favourite two games growing up were Warcraft 2 and 3. This was the continuation of WC3, and so I had to play it. Vanilla is not my favourite by any means, it had hardly any of the story relating to WC2/3 and many of the bosses and extras felt tacked on, but it was closest thing to a graphical the MUD's I played in the late 90's, TBC improved upon the formula, and WotLK was the absolute pinnacle of the 'original trilogy' WoW.

Not my first mmo, not my first online game, and while they did stupid things like the way they wasted major lore villains like Vashj/Illidan in TBC and badge gear in WotLK, the first trilogy is truly the best mmo experience there is.

That's why I'm here, I want to replay those first three parts again, on a PvE server like I played on retail, on one server with one character, the same way I did a decade ago.

This is the only project to offer that.

I myself want to relive the retail progression as much as I can. Because I started on beta, a game that I didn't know nothing about, except it was based on one of my favorite strategy game series - warcraft. Then some time later me and a friend started playing on orc shaman - both of us. Took us about a week to do first totem quest iirc. It was so magical. But we played in a net cafe, nobody had internet at home then. So about we got lvl 28 we had to stop. Some time later I got hold on another account and made rogue - leveled him to 60 and even got to mc and zg, participated in war effort - my guild collapsed and then stopped playing. In mid TBC made a priest which started raiding a bit more, continued in wotlk till ulduar and then stopped retail completely. Then played one year on Kronos and then stopped again. I want to play and experience all raids when they were relevant and I think only Crestfall can help me at this point, so here i am.

43 minutes ago, Joyman said:

I want to play and experience all raids when they were relevant and I think only Crestfall can help me at this point, so here i am.

very true

I first got introduced into Warcraft universe by my father, who showed me Warcraft 3 when I was 6 or 7 years old. I got through the human campaign quite easily (well, with minimal help in the Defense of Hearthgen mission ... and a few others :D)  and failed miserably at the third chapter of the Undead campaign... couldn't find a way to Sylvanas' base :P That's when i discovered cheats. I finished the whole campaign usind "whosyourdaddy" and "iseedeadpeople" and for some reason i was so proud of myself when i told my dad, who claimed to have beaten only a few of the human missions.

Basically everything i did on the computer was related to Warcraft, either reading about it or playing it, so eventually I discovered World of Warcraft. Managed to convince my dad to buy it for me, I think it was in late WotLK. I rolled an Orc Warlock, of course never used my minion, didn't bother using the map so I failed even at the simplest quests. When i found the "Hidden Path" in Valley of Trials my heart started booming so hard, I though I had discovered some amazing secret nobody has ever seen before :D After a few days of dicking around I deleted my warlock and made a blood elf paladin (>.<), I was disappointed when I started in Quel'thalas instead of Outland. I soon found myself questing with another blood elf paladin (I discovered that he was a noob too), and after finishing all quests in Eversong and almost all in Ghostlands (we never finished the Dar'Khan questline) we went south to Eastern Plaguelands, because we thought there were quests available for us there :P

He called his guild master or something, and he guided us to Hillsbrad, so we could continue questing normally (I think at this point Cata was already released). I logged off, and the next day i found out he was lvl 30 already. When i got to Arathi Highlands, He was already max lvl. I thought he was a hacker. After getting to lvl 55 i deleted my Paladin and created a Death Knight, because i wanted to be like Arthas.... lvl 63 was the highest i got before quitting retail.

So I heard about private servers, that they are free versions of WoW, and i asked people in WC3 if they can recommend any servers. I got into a REALLY buggy, but newly released cataclysm server (that was in 2012 i think) It had the highest population among private servers back then. I didn't even realise how shit it was. They had a Wotlk realm as well but i preferred cata because of easier leveling (...) So on my worgen hunter i got to lvl 84, which took about 2 years, and then some thing happened and all characters on all realms got deleted. Oh well i thought. 

Then my friend told me about a really good Wotlk server that we can play on. It was actually a really good server, but Polish-only (didn't matter. I'm from Poland :P) So we played together a bit, when we got to lvl 10 he got bored and went back to playing LoL, but I got to lvl 80 alone (1x rates) and so started my experience with end-game. Not that it lasted very long, the realm was shut down by admins because they were tired of managing it or something. Oh well I thought.

So actually before the shut down i played on Nostalrius briefly, but thought it was shit because getting out of starting zone took me an hour. After my wotlk server's shut down, I decided to give it a go and created an Orc Shaman. On lvl 11 I joined the Red dawn, which all of you Nostalrius PvP folks should know well. I loved the concept of leveling in Elwynn Forest as Horde, and everything the guild offered. I had an amazing time. Only then i realized how shit Cataclysm was and that i wasted 2 years just leveling on a buggy bloody mess. I hit lvl 48, was very excited to hit 60 and start serious World PvP action with my guildmates. But the server shut down. Oh well I thought.

But thanks to Nostalrius I re-discovered WoW for what it truly is, and that I love World PvP. None of the current vanilla servers meet my demands, nor do I want to try any of the other expansions for the time being. I really have high hopes for Crestfall. Can't wait to 1-shot mages with windfury again (but this time I hope with unbugged trigger and correct animation :P), can't wait to experience the endgame properly for the first time. I can wait any amount of time, just to see a server that can match or even surpass Nostalrius. There's no rush, Warcraft 3 will satisfy me until the day finally comes.

TL;DR: Played retail in Cataclysm, then on buggy cata private servers. Realized how shit it is after playing on Nost for 4 months. Looking forward to re-experiencing hot PvP action on Crestfall and experiencing endgame PvE for the first time!

On 7/13/2016 at 11:48 PM, limov417 said:

Wow, man, I see you like to build walls of text. I absolutely agree with you, that's why we do this. Except for one thing, for me WotLK was my joy and home. I only had a chance to play on WotTK though. 

I came here to experience all the stuff that was before it, and I am sure I won't be disappointed. I fully trust Crestfall team.

By the way which side are you going to join? Would love to spend time in Azeroth with such a cool person.

You're right, building walls of text is my modus operandi. Just consider me to be a frustrated writer. If you think I'm a cool person you will be sorely disappointed, but for what its worth, I will start off on alliance as a NE Druid. In BC I will roll up a Drenai Shaman, but that is a long ways away.

Might be interesting to hear why I, as a Dev do this (or not).

I started my journey back when 1.9 released where most of my time playing was spent on a friends account at the time just being impressed by the world and the scale of the game. Being a 14 year old beansprout at the time made it a bit harder to get an account of my own but luckily (or for the worse) my parents weren't that strict as long as it didn't affect my grades. Played casually through vanilla for the most part as a human warrior. When TBC hit I switched to a gnome mage and I had the time of my life just blowing stuff up. Did some raids in a casual context. When LK came around the corner I started getting more serious about the raiding aspect of the game, switched to a draenai shaman and started healing. After that Cata came around and my guild did some of the content but we sadly fell apart pretty quickly since the expansion was just meh. MoP and WoD aren't really worth mentioning, did some raids but never got that feeling back that pulled me in with the first three expansions.

Anyways that's a tiny bit of history from what I've seen and done throughout WoW. As a player my reasons are:

• I love the feel Vanilla/BC have and to some extent LK.
  • I'd like to experience vanilla raids as "current" content since I never got the chance to do them seriously
  • Have that social aspect again that disappeared over at Retail.

As a developer my reasons are a bit different:

• I'm sick of half-assed servers. This is my #1 reason I'm doing this, I've seen so much bad decision making, bad testing and bad solutions to problems that I decided to step up and try to hopefully make a meaningful difference to the "scene".
  • I love to learn new things, emulation has always interested me since back when it first started and I did some very minor things "fixes". Being brought a board this project has already given me a lot of valuable knowledge that'll help me later along in my field of work.
  • I just like working with a small group of very dedicated people that know what needs to be done. Asura's making sure everything's done the right way and won't pull any punches when he sees something that can be done better (which helps me improve and at the same time improves the server).

I'm grateful to the community we've been able to get together so far for their support and trust in the project. I might not be the most vocal person on the team but I do read most of the forum posts and I'm amazed how quickly this community is growing. Being done with college for the year means I'll be devoting even more time to the project. (During college crunch time the only time I had was between 11 pm - 4 am) and I hope we'll be able to show you more progress Soon(tm).

TL;DR; As a player I just want to enjoy my vanilla time again. As a developer I want to be able to provide everyone the best vanilla (and beyond) experience there can be.

Long wall of incoherent text but those are my thoughts in a nutshell.

Seems like you all missing the reason we're doing this...and there is only ONE reason:

For the Horde!

12 hours ago, Outstanding said:

You're right, building walls of text is my modus operandi. Just consider me to be a frustrated writer. If you think I'm a cool person you will be sorely disappointed, but for what its worth, I will start off on alliance as a NE Druid. In BC I will roll up a Drenai Shaman, but that is a long ways away.

Haha, disappointment topic is still alive :D Don't underrate yourself, all druids are nice people. But I think that we will meet each other only on the battle grounds

54 minutes ago, mrmr said:

Seems like you all missing the reason we're doing this...and there is only ONE reason:

For the Horde!

Finally!

1 hour ago, mrmr said:

For the Alliance!

FTFY.

On 7/17/2016 at 3:28 AM, Elicas said:

FTFY.

Nothing sweeter than hearing the death screams of Night Elves.

1 hour ago, myrnym said:

Nothing sweeter than hearing the death screams of Night Elves.

I would know, I never die.

YEAAAAH!

I'd like to turn your attention to the fact, that the whole Horde/Alliance conflict is completely artificial. We all should live in peace and focus on common tasks and common enemies, which are plentiful. That's why reject this war. Solidarity!

Please, don't throw rocks at me.

Good to see the level of forensic debate taking place on this thread. ¬¬

My next thread shall be titled ''Horde vs Alliance, discuss'' :ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

Good to see the level of forensic debate taking place on this thread. ¬¬

My next thread shall be titled ''Horde vs Alliance, discuss'' :ph34r:

Horde > Alliance, nothing to discuss.

*cough*

Seriously though, best death scream: 

2 hours ago, KlargDeThaym said:

I'd like to turn your attention to the fact, that the whole Horde/Alliance conflict is completely artificial. We all should live in peace and focus on common tasks and common enemies, which are plentiful. That's why reject this war. Solidarity!

Please, don't throw rocks at me.

Reds under the bed!

1 hour ago, myrnym said:

Hrrrrr *splat* yaaaahk! *clump*

Awesome sound effect.

10 hours ago, Elicas said:

Reds under the bed!

Don't be afraid, we don't bite. Usually.