Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

62 posts in this topic
On 14. 7. 2016 at 0:06 PM, VeloxBanks said:

To spare you the details let's just say Morrowind = Vanilla WoW and Skyrim = WoD.

Nonsense. It was the contrast going from Morowind to Oblivion that was the worst. Skyrim was actually really good when approached thinking "can't be worse than Oblivion". Despite further dumbing down of the itnerface (no classes, wtf, it wasn't like the extant system was restrictive!), I found it to be more enjoyable.

Then again, when I force myself to endure the extremely unpleasant graphics of Oblivion (of the 3D series, TES IV aged the worst) with its play putty faces and bloom on everything and romans suddenly turned into medieval knights, I can pretend I enjoy it.

Having grown up on WoW, I doubt I'll ever really stop playing it and vanilla for me was just the best version.

I can't believe all the stories here, some brought a tear into my eye, especialy @Outstanding, im not good in writing lengthy stories but i think outstanding described many peoples feelings very well. The "special hero-syndrome" a lot of current rpg's have are killing the genre and i believe Crestfal can bring righteousness to the mmorpg scene.

I've played WoW since release and had played a few MMOs before that (SWG and DAoC). I've played every expansion though I usually tended to quit and then come back when a new expansion was released. I raided for abit in WoD but the game and the community just wasn't a good fit. Been jumping around various private servers and other games since.

Basically I'm chasing the dragon, trying to find the enjoyment, challenge and community I found when in the early days of WoW.

I'm not sure I can concur with #3. While I agree that TBC was the best of the WoW expansions, the Mines of Moria expansion for Lord of the Rings Online was jaw-dropping.

5 hours ago, Rynn said:

I'm not sure I can concur with #3. While I agree that TBC was the best of the WoW expansions, the Mines of Moria expansion for Lord of the Rings Online was jaw-dropping.

Have all the rep.

The day they announced no more raids for LotRO was a dark day indeed. Gutted most of the end game fellowships in one announcement, what a game that could have been with some competent devs at the helm.

im happy to agree with almost everybody in this forum, we are building a very nice community here :)

As a good carebear couple, my girlfriend and I are here to recreate and continue the great experience of leveling and dungeon-raiding on a paceful PvE realm that we were having in Nostalrius until was closed.

Before, we played WoW the period between final TBC and TWotLK. We spend most of the time leveling toons and only went to Northrend 5-man's, Naxxramas, Obsidian Sactuary and a couple of 10-man Ulduar when we finally quit. When I discovered Nostalrius I thought it was our opportunity of playing the content that we've missed before. Now it's Crestfall time!

I'm extremely hyped thinking Crestfall can be even better to the point that I'm already trying to convince some people of coming here. I think I already have 3 guys and 2 girls in my pocket.

When the server is open I will do a call to my old Nost Guild. We'll see how they respond.

Edited by Toche

2 minutes ago, Toche said:

I think I already have 3 guys and 2 girls in my pocket.

You either know some munchkins or you have very large pockets! ;)xD

Which faction you rolling on the PvE server bud?

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

You either know some munchkins or you have very large pockets! ;)xD

Which faction you rolling on the PvE server bud?

We hope going to alliance, but the others seems to prefer the Horde. I will do my best for convince them. B|

I'm near 40. My first MMO experiences were around 17 years ago, with the korean mmorpg Lineage 1. I was immediately hooked. To be in a living world, surrounded by hundreds of other players was literally something I'd been dreaming of for years. Lineage was grindy as hell, it puts Vanilla WoW to shame in that regard. A few years later I got into Dark Age of Camelot. Excellent game, the PvP system was brilliant. And then came WoW...

I started on day 1 of Vanilla's launch. I was instantly in love. It grabbed my soul and wouldn't let go. It still hasn't. Every expansion eroded WoW to a point that I quit in Cataclysm and never went back. It was around that time I discovered private servers. Since then, my MMO homes have always been Vanilla P-servers. 

Edited by Primal

1 hour ago, Primal said:

A few years later I got into Dark Age of Camelot. Excellent game, the PvP system was brilliant.

Midgard for life! Norse Thane standing by ;)

3 hours ago, Elicas said:

Midgard for life! Norse Thane standing by ;)

Viva la Hibernia! Warden/Valewalker B|

I can't help it, I'm a tree-hugger. Which would make people assume I'd gravitate to Night Elves in WoW. I do, but unfortunately they cannot be Shaman. :(

7 hours ago, Primal said:

I'm a tree-hugger. Which would make people assume I'd gravitate to Night Elves in WoW

I hate what they did with them in wow. In W3 they were much better. The sort of "you enter our forest and break a twig and we're gonna rip you apart and pincushion every piece with arrows" attitude.

They were very much based off of the Tolkien styled Sylvan Elves of Mirkwood, Thranduil was going to imprison the dwarves for a hundred years for walking through his forest without permission. WC3 elves were of a very similar vein.

6 hours ago, Xaverius said:

we're gonna rip you apart

Well at least from my perspective, I shall revive the glorious days of the past and spare none foolish enough to walk through our sacred glades!

when I started WoW in '05/'06, I was only 11/12 years old, and how I loved this game, a bit too much, perhaps. 

though, as Outstanding mentions, I too was a complete and utter noob. By the time TBC got close I reached level 32, and managed to get Flying Tiger Goggles. which, at the time, was a great achievement for me. 

to cut the story short -  I spend a year or more playing WoW without even reaching level 40 on one toon. and I enjoyed it so much, even without achieving anything.

btw, lvl 37 is also the highest level I got in Retail before resorting to vanilla p-servers(does anyone remember the very first ED private server?) (I guess I have a thing for slaying dragons and that kind of generic fantasy stuff) ^_^

QUOTE; @Rynn

LotRO was great for RP, the /smoke command did so much for me. abd the custom tunes you could play on your instruments. simply amazing. gameplay wise I was soon bored, though.

Edited by Munin

On 8/28/2016 at 3:57 AM, Munin said:

(does anyone remember the very first ED private server?)

Yup! I was there at launch day. I wouldn't rate it as a high quality server, but at the time I had a lot of fun.

I truly cant remember what year it was, all I can remember is I could solo Scholomance as a protection Paladin. ^_^

Great text. And i agree with you. For me TBC > Vanilla because they fixed alot of specproblems. But flying is shit imo. 

On 7/13/2016 at 5:22 PM, Outstanding said:

2. I love WoW. Luckily for me, I never had to go through early MMO's like Ultima, Age of Camelot and Everquest - which I'm sure were fine, but not a patch on WoW.

I have to take exception to this remark. As much as I loved WoW, UO offered something that no other MMO has offered since, WoW included (Eve may be the closest, but there are a number of reasons I would take UO over Eve that could be discussed some other time, so let's just say that my following comments all imply "barring eve"). It was the only MMO that offered a TRULY player-built economy. You were thrown in the dark, with little to no guidance as to what you should be doing, and the players had to learn the game together. It was the first, and only true sandbox to ever exist. Losing everything on you when you died meant that resources were risky to gather. Rare items had a real value given that all it took was slipping up once and losing your house key or having one in your pack at the time of death and it was snaked from you, into the hands of another player. It inspired people to form factions, Anti-PK guilds, bounty hunters, etc. It was a challenging game in a harsh world that was far ahead of its time. The PvP system was the most skill-based I've ever played in, and the world was a living, breathing entity. It encouraged interaction on many levels, as there was no auction houses, private messaging system, or anything of this sort. You built real relationships with the other players, and when your best friend who fought alongside you backstabbed you for an item that he wanted, it was as painful as if a childhood friend had backstabbed you. Being a PK earned you a nefarious reputation, and drove others to seek your head. Being a skilled player meant that your name was remembered across your server (and sometimes others). The social aspect of UO is something that I have never seen replicated in any game, and I've played quite a few including EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, Rift, EQ2, Archeage... the list goes on. There was nothing, and never will be anything like it again.

With that said, I don't think that UO can't be replaced because developers aren't talented enough, or don't have the vision to make such a game. Rather, it was a plethora of factors involving the developers visions, the era it was created in, the community, etc. There weren't many guides, the features of the game weren't something you could just freely google in an era where the internet was still in its infancy, voice comms and messenger apps were still in fairly rare usage at the time.  So, the reality is that it was a swirling hurricane of pure chance that UO became the game that it was. In today's era where information travels faster than light, players communicate more behind the scenes than in the actual game, and most every game is linearly driven, it's not that people lacks the talent or don't want to make the next UO, it's that they can't.

Edited by tsujin
touch-ups ;)

@tsujin Exception accepted, after all, I never played these games so how can I have a subjective opinion. What I would say however, is that UO is a game that suited your mind frame and skill sets at the time. 

You'll be playing on the PvP server to replicate where possible these kinds of encounters. For people like me, who represent a decent proportion of the players, we just want to go about our business without the ganking and flaming that reflects PvP servers. 

Any suggestion that PvE players have less passion, ability and skill sets of PvP players is elitist and just plain wrong. 

On 3. 9. 2016 at 9:59 PM, tsujin said:

only MMO that offered a TRULY player-built economy

What about EVE?

Also Chronicles of Elyria will have completely player-driven economy, once/if it comes out.

On 3. 9. 2016 at 10:44 PM, Outstanding said:

Any suggestion that PvE players have less passion, ability and skill sets of PvP players is elitist and just plain wrong. 

It would suggest they have less patience though :P.

Edited by Xaverius

On 9/3/2016 at 4:44 PM, Outstanding said:

@tsujin Exception accepted, after all, I never played these games so how can I have a subjective opinion. What I would say however, is that UO is a game that suited your mind frame and skill sets at the time. 

You'll be playing on the PvP server to replicate where possible these kinds of encounters. For people like me, who represent a decent proportion of the players, we just want to go about our business without the ganking and flaming that reflects PvP servers. 

Wait so shouldn't this post be in the PvE realm discussion? And I wouldn't argue that PvE players have less passion, ability, or skill sets than PvP players... well, except at PvP.