Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hermetichedgehog

Your favourite toy

Seeing how "What's your favourite x" -threads seem to be popular here, here's my contribution, inspired by a commercial I saw this morning:

What's your favourite childhood toy?

Mine would be a (by today's standards dull) train set with wooden tracks, tragically lost to mildew. :(

Well it's not one standalone toy, but Lego. Cars especially, loved 'em.

No way I could name just one!

Plush animals, a yellow teletubby, duplos, plastic kitchen stuff, the sandbox outside...

Once I was old enough to not try and swallow everything given to me:

A moomin dollhouse: moomin-house-1.jpg

And legos ofc. So much legos. Me and my 3 brothers had a whole garage full of em. My favorite sets were probably this:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/lego/images/3/3a/6766_Box.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100529163356

and this

http://images.brickset.com/sets/images/4709-1.jpg?200101131200

Anything wild west/castles/pirates related really. :P

I still fight the urge to stop and stare at the new and shiny lego boxes whenever I walk past the toys section in a store.:x

Edited by Lilaina

72e47fc025140b04880ed6e08d2d858e.jpg

This was my favourite toy, when I was 5 I had meningitis and when I got out of hospital my parents got me a Cherries Jubilee stuffed My Little Pony, which I was obsessed with at the time. My brothers, who were 18 months younger, were jealous that they didn't get a toy, so they cut its mane and tail off and then shaved the rest of it with my dad's electric razor.

30 years ago but the pain is still real, man. ;)

Surprisingly this wasn't the first reply so here you go....

california-exotic-silicone-triple-riders

1 hour ago, duzyizly said:

For real?

Yeah >< we hated each other growing up. They also cut the hair off my Girl's World hairdressing doll and scrawled all over it with my mum's makeup. 

3 minutes ago, Hevra said:

Yeah >< we hated each other growing up. They also cut the hair off my Girl's World hairdressing doll and scrawled all over it with my mum's makeup. 

lol, that's evil.

The worst thing my brothers ever did was deconstruct stuff I had built from legos coz they needed the bricks for something else. ¬¬

@Dogbert, don't ruin our nostalgia trip.

13 hours ago, DOGBERT said:

Surprisingly this wasn't the first reply so here you go....

california-exotic-silicone-triple-riders

lmao I should have expected this...but what are the two pointy things on the right for

I had legos. A lot of legos. Not really any paticular set, they were mismatched blocks and parts of something that I either got bought at a very early age or got passed down from my cousin (I suspect they were mainly the 90s UFO and Space sets, based on the few parts that survived to the 2000s). Then I had some more legos with the actual box. Not sure what has become of the box, but it was this:

5988-1.jpg

Lot of stuff going on, isn't there. The box itself was also huge.
540x360.jpg

These Egypt-themed lego sets were THE shit.

Also I have (stashed somewhere alongside this well used set) an obscene amount of bionicles.

I have the full first three sets of the main (these finally had masks that didn't fall of when you accidentally touched them) guys, full set of the first bohroks, 4/6 of the second bohroks (some examples - the second set is the one in silver) and of rahkshis, I think 3 of those guys who had a disc launcher in their mouth. Those were pretty silly.
Oh and that white dude on his hoverbike, the black dude with the fork, and, of course, the giant enemy friendly crab rider.

412G0NWZR6L.jpg

8593-1.jpg

41T4FF9Y24L.jpg

I don't know where did the boxes go... Probably got thrown into attic and are now soaked with cigarette smoke. Shame. They were tubes and the bohrok ones even had a clip to store the bohroks in ball form, like an alien prepared to hatch and eat someone's face.
Unfortunately, with time, some parts stopped working. The rods got thinner due to friction over the years and the parts wouldn't hold on them. Or, and this is the bane of my existence, THESE THINGS JUST KEPT BREAKING UNTIL THERE WERE NONE USABLE.

Thought the most used toy was one that was always readily available, and deserves a place of honor: Random wooden stick.
Some examples of random wooden stick in the wild.

gun-shaped-sticks.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hermetichedgehog said:

lmao I should have expected this...but what are the two pointy things on the right for

Clitoral stimulation. Not that I know, I don't own a clitoris.

@Xaverius

We also had some of those adventure theme sets. Mostly jungle and dinosaur related though.

My brothers were into those robots but I thought they were stupid. Not the right scale/too many big parts/easy to build.

19 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

@Xaverius

We also had some of those adventure theme sets. Mostly jungle and dinosaur related though.

My brothers were into those robots but I thought they were stupid. Not the right scale/too many big parts/easy to build.

I agree on the scale issue. Also not that versatile when they predefine you shapes, but hey, gotta asume different mindset with technic than with system. These were great for building various mechanisms. Actually there used to be a line with programmable central units so you could make your own simple robots. Never had that one, unfortunately.

As for big parts and ease of build... well... thanks to that I once made a functional crossbow out of them. Shot that snow dude's sword across two rooms, I was very content with myself.

EDIT: It has occured to me I also had this hummingbird/X-wing bird.
663.png

And approximately 6541 plushies, mainly dogs.

Edited by Xaverius

12 hours ago, Hermetichedgehog said:

If you don't know I'm guessing you pay for it.

Classic NES. Everything else is child's play.

Legend of Zelda, Bionic Commando, Metroid, Baseball Stars, Tecmo Super Bowl,  Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Warrior 1...

There's no other correct answer.

Legos, hahaha. A friend of mine would be in fits of rage if he saw you guys pluralising Lego in such a way (he's a Lego fanatic).

Anyway: Legos Technic > standard Legos

Here was my favourite set that I owned:

http://brickset.com/sets/8422-1/Circuit-Shock-Racer

OMG, working chain and pistons! Actual shock absorbers! And and and... it has a kick stand for display/showing off to your friends! Before they very quickly got bored of it and wanted to play on the Sega Saturn/Playstation 1 (not PSOne!) instead...

Also, this was the stuff of envy back in the day:

http://brickset.com/sets/8880-1/Super-Car

V8 engine, 4 wheel steering and the alternative model was an F1 car!!

Ah, the memories.... Now there is only WoW. Oh and work. Also fending for yourself, which is usually the reason for the previous. I'll stop there.

For me it was mostly just video games, SNES and beyond. Before that though, I was mostly into Hotwheels and this castle assault thing. This thing

CULsEWV.jpg 

Many hours were spent assaulting that castle.

With the Hotwheels, I used to make enormous tracks that looped around the whole room. It was great.

Oh yeah, I also was into the Pokemon TCG. It's really funny now, I have some cousins that are as old as I was back then when I actually played it, and they were so excited to show me the anniversary cards that were reprints of the originals, and I look at my tin case that I hold all my cards in. The cards in that tin, were the same ones my cousins were showing me, just the originals instead of the anniversary editions. I felt old when that happened.

Lots of love for Lego here.  I had some uses for Lego, and Construx, but it was mostly to build bases for these guys:

G1_OptimusPrime_toy.jpgG1Starscream_toy.jpg

Hours and hours and hours of goofy plotlines cribbed from the cartoon, hokey dialogue, solo sound effects, home-made bases assembled and then blown up, even occasional guest appearances by the narrator as Unicron (for scale, you understand).  Eat ya heaht out, Orson Welles!  Oh, and while we're on the subject, fuck you Michael Bay.

23 hours ago, Ugondiss said:

Legend of Zelda, Bionic Commando, Metroid, Baseball Stars, Tecmo Super Bowl,  Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Warrior 1...

There's no other correct answer.

Tecmo Super Bowl.  How I loved that game.

On 14. 2. 2017 at 0:11 PM, Ugondiss said:

I had a knockoff NES! Gamestar! Yes, just like the magazine.
18j180i549ebkjpg.jpg
Looked like this. Wasn't exactly this model, but save for a few details and the front grip on the gun, basically this. Though my version has crosspad and A + B buttons on the body itself.

On February 15, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Humperdink said:

Lots of love for Lego here.  I had some uses for Lego, and Construx, but it was mostly to build bases for these guys:

G1_OptimusPrime_toy.jpgG1Starscream_toy.jpg

Hours and hours and hours of goofy plotlines cribbed from the cartoon, hokey dialogue, solo sound effects, home-made bases assembled and then blown up, even occasional guest appearances by the narrator as Unicron (for scale, you understand).  Eat ya heaht out, Orson Welles!  Oh, and while we're on the subject, fuck you Michael Bay.

I was wrong. Those transformers toys are the greatest ever assembled. Just seeing Optimus Prime and Starscream, in there true original glory... Forgive me for my misty eyes.

Throw in some G.I. Joe figures, with the awesome vehicles and we have the greatest toys ever constructed.  Remember the dreadnoughts? How if you left them out in the sun they'd change color... Oh the 80's! I long for your coked out shady businessman's toy ideas!