Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
realestdawg

Mob AI

I have a couple concerns regarding mob AI, based on what I've observed on other projects. Hopefully they will be addressed here. The aim of this thread is for these flaws to be brought to the developers' attention, in case they haven't already been.

•  Mobs with AoE spells tend to cast em without performing a check for enemy units within range first. You will often see mobs airballing thunderclaps of AoE fears right as they're pulled from a distance. I'm pretty sure a substantial amount of creatures inherit a class that contains this AI flaw.

•  Spellcaster type mobs weave auto-attacks in between their spells. This makes them deal way more damage than expected, especially when it comes to elite mobs.

•  There is no spell queueing system for mobs, rather, they will cast solely based on timers and triggers. The result of this is that you will often see an enemy interrupt his current cast and begin a new one, because he hit the 50% hp mark, for instance. PvE creatures should always finish the cast they've got lined up before starting a new one.

Again, something i didn't remember, also haven't played on a private server for a while so yea hehe.
I'm very interested to see if this gets covered.

Btw when you want something pointed out to the staff/devs whatever use their name tags.

Like this @Asura @Darkrasp

Afaik we don't have any of those issues.

Mobs with PBAOE are set to cast them only if there is a target within range.  It doesn't necessarily have to be the primary target though, any valid target will do (this is on purpose, we can run it either way but this makes the mobs a little bit nastier if you try to kite them and they're still chewing up your friends).

Spellcaster-type mobs prefer to stay at range and obviously cannot autoattack the player from outside melee range.   If they are silenced or run out of mana, they will attempt to engage their target in melee combat.  Also, if you enter melee range, they will in most cases stop attempting to cast spells with a cast time to avoid spell pushback, and instead switch to melee attacks while still using available instant-cast spells.

A mob will not attempt to cast a spell while another spell is being cast.  It will always finish it's current cast before starting a new one.  Scripted conditions that force spellcasts such as Enrage will interrupt the spell in progress if necessary though - there really isn't any other option because the spell is a forced, triggered event that bypasses normal spellcasting checks.  It might be possible to implement an NPC spell queue, though considering how few mobs have both an enrage and the ability to cast ranged spells with a significant cast time, I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle.  There are other ways to work around that using the existing AI in the handful of cases where it would make a difference, using clever manipulation of the existing scripting engine instead of forcing the spellcast with a standard event trigger.  I figure we'll deal with these as necessary.  It's a relatively simple fix for the few cases where it applies.

Edited by Darkrasp

Good to hear these are being handled. You'd imagine these issues are pretty straightforward but their prevalence, in my experience with private servers so far, would be to differ.

Here's one more thing I forgot to mention:

Mobs with some sort of melee ability intended for their primary target,  like Mortal Strike, Shield Bash, Revenge etc tend to indiscriminately use it against a random target in melee range, regardless of whether they have aggro or not. I've often seen this happen when a caster walks by and recieves a mortal strike. This appears to be counterproductive for the AI. Furthermore I've seen mob interrupts go out based on a timer, instead of checking whether a player is casting first.

Edited by realestdawg