Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lilaina

How do you earn gold in vanilla

42 posts in this topic

How do you guys typically make money in vanilla? I'm asking because I'm greedy and trying to steal your spots my only real end game experience of vanilla is from kronos, where I farmed tribute runs on my hunter, but that won't be an option here. My other steady source of gold was shaking my Salt Shaker every three days for 15-25g but I don't think I'll be playing a leather/mail class here so that won't be an option either.

Do you just start accumulating gold once you're raiding regularly? Or do you need to keep actively farming something/play with the AH? All your tips and secrets are welcome. :D

I will play female NE which has tremendous effect on your gold income if you catch my drift. *cough* ERP *cough*

i aint gay but 20 gold is 20 gold

I never really made a whole lot of gold. I once got 100 for my mount and that was pretty much it. A few weeks after that some stuff happened that we've gone over before and I couldn't exactly play anymore. 

By the time I reached 40 I already had around 15 gold. Not too bad for the way I was playing but I obviously needed a lot more for the mount. So I decided to hussle and focus on nothing but getting gold. I had to pull out the one most absolutely effective way of gold farming. My method of choice was...

Cooking. Yep. I don't remember what it was that I was cooking but it was something with wolf meat in it that sold for 4 gold a stack on the auction house. Surprisingly enough it only took me 2 days to get to 100 gold. Dumb as it was, the whole thing made Feralas one of my favorite zones. I farmed the wolves there which if I remember correctly also dropped some pricey junk items as well. 

Being the free spirit that I am, I might just disregard how inefective the method is when compared to others and do it again. Perhaps this time I'll go over 100g. 

Edited by VeloxBanks

I think my highest was 300-400 gold.
Since i play a healer i basically either do alot of dungeon runs or use my profession for gold, besides those optioons there aren't many options for a healer to farm gold.

Also you can farm some mobs that drop precious junk, for me it was the turtles on tanaris shore that dropped precious trash that sold for some gold and the gorillas in south STV also drop trash that sells for good gold

Edited by ClawzTheMeow

Soloing as a feral 4 last bosses in Maraudon for 15 minutes per run and 65 gold per hour average :P

Edited by Oratai

scorpions in silithus also worth to farm - they drop pretty expensive junk and blood. The last sells for 21 silver per 1.

Edited by Oratai

Working the AH. Takes time and dedication. You get burned occasionally, but it was a hobby that turned into something I'd spend hours doing, once I accumulated enough gold. I miss it dearly. Nothing better than waking up early on a Saturday, grabbing a big gulp of strong ass coffee, and monopolizing some reagents like a craftIy jew, while twirling my evil mustache. It's like gambling except your odds fluctuate based on unforseen variables and, instead of a computer determining the outcome with an algorithm, your profit is based on the apathy, desperation, and/or stupidity of human beings, making it quite lucrative. 😉

Edited by Bluemoon

3 hours ago, Lilaina said:

Do you just start accumulating gold once you're raiding regularly?

Raiding is actually a great gold sink, especially if you're something else than a rogue, because of retalents :P.

Making money is a philosophy, rather than a task. You can farm more things concurrently. You can sell things you make in professions. You can sell fish for people who are too dumb to figure out where to get cooking ingredients, which is the most imba thing in the game. Or you can sell your body and become a tank for hire.

I played on TBC, but once I made hundreds of gold by just buying healing potions at Argent Dawn quartermaster and selling them on the AH.

Edited by Xaverius

Parsing through what you said I'm assuming you are referring specifically to end game gold farming, rather than, how do I operate a profit and loss account from 1-60?

All I can offer is the following:

• It's vitally important that you maximise all three secondary skills so fishing, first aid and cooking. All three significantly add to the gold farming pool, add variety to the game, and further increase your value in instances and raids with the buffs etc they provide.
  • Second, the professions you level up with may not necessarily be the professions you want for your L60 toon. So for example, herbing and alchemy are widely seen as a magnet for gold generation where the truth is they really only become so at higher levels. So for 50 levels or so you really don't get much value out of them. Better to take something like skinning/mining that maximise returns at low-medium level, then when the mount is paid for, your herbing/alchemy progression takes place at a far faster rate.
  • Next, you need a good support team, that means levelling a toon to L5 so you can disenchant greens and blues where the value is suspect. Enchanting materials are unique where there is no deposit on the AH so you don't have to price to sell. In the long term, the value is usually better than vendoring same. Create bank alts so you can cheaply reserve stuff for sale later.
  • Also remember that you can max artisan with only a L35 toon. So you can invest in another toon just to get enchanting/leather working or alchemy to artisan and act as a gold generator for you with a minimum amount of effort. This also works well on maximising rest benefits between toons.  
  • Pick a speciality farming wise and get expert at it. Talk to other players that are in the same game and try and manipulate the auction house, it's in your interest.

To give an example, back in retail I had a Bank alt that just happened to be a L35 rogue with 300 leatherworking. Using Undercity as a base (very easy to get around) she would buy rugged leather on the AH below a certain value and maker Wicked Leather Headbands which just happen to be the best value item to disenchant - her other profession. Then she would vendor the Greater Eternal Essences, Large Brilliant Shards and Illusion Dusts on the AH at full value not worrying about deposits. I had about 6 players farming rugged leather for me for which I paid a fair price and removed from them the risk of losing their deposits.

The value to this is that unlike specific spells like transmutations etc, you can do this as often as you like as long as you had enough rugged leather and there was a market for it. Which indeed there was. It took me maybe 30 minutes per day and the value was down to RNG. But I always made a tidy profit consistently.   

pre DM:
-soloing mara (druid)
-BRD/LBRS pickpocket runs (rogue)
-aoe grind (mage)
-elites grind [ex. un'goro elites, EPL] (any "ranged" class with root/slow/freeze or groups)
-non-elites grind [mobs with "important" materials drops ex: felcloths, elemental fire, e'ko]
-gathering (mining, skinning, herbalism, fishing)
-crafting (especially "CD materials" like: arcanite bars, mooncloths etc.)
-crafting' (only if you got monopoly on some crafting stuff like: enchanting spell damage or lionheart helm)
-playing AH
-boosting other players
-completing quests

with DM released:
-DM:E lashers farm [still dunno if possible at CF] (any  class)
-DM tribute runs [not possible at CF] (hunter)
-DM book runs [same as lashers] (any class)
-DM:E duo group runs

with ZG released:
-ZG aoe farm (mage)*
-ZG nodes farm (rogue, druid)*

with Naxx released:
-Naxx stealth runs (rogue, druid)*

*I've heard something like this is not going possible at CF because of something like: "beign saved to raid once you enter it?" (but I may be wrong).

And probably many others I don't know about.

Edited by duzyizly
fixes

@Outstanding

Hmmm, if you can get artisan LW by lvl 35 I might level a hunter just so I can conjure gold out of thin air with a saltshaker.

@Bluemoon

I suck at AH and am usually the one being ripped off and not the other way around so I doubt I can do that. :D

4 hours ago, Mal Do'Urden said:

I will play female NE which has tremendous effect on your gold income if you catch my drift. *cough* ERP *cough*

I don't think there will be an RP realm here xD

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

I played on TBC, but once I made hundreds of gold by just buying healing potions at Argent Dawn quartermaster and selling them on the AH.

I'm gonna try this. :D Do the AD vendors exist prior to Naxx patch?

25 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

I don't think there will be an RP realm here xD

You can't stop RPers from RPing.

I met this guy in Goldshire during my three-week stay at Nostrils' pvp server:

9zFNyWY.png

Edited by Xaverius

I sell Greater Fire Protection Potions. Those are always in demand. And the mats are easy farm. Get friendly with Thorium Brotherhood to get Recipe: Transmute Elemental Fire. Farm Heart of Fire and Elemental Fire from Scorching Elementals in Un'Goro Crater. Transmute one Heart of Fire into 3 Elemental Fires . The cooldown is only 10 minutes on that transmute. I can farm the mats for approx. 5 stacks per hour to sell them all for around 60 gold (Kronos 2).

The elementals also drop Core of Elements. You can turn 30 in for an Insignia of the Dawn. I usually sell 30 of them for 10 gold.

Edited by fruitsalad

Grind the Elementals in the Badlands. Grind skeletons in the plaguelands. Quests, sell Rage Potions, sell herbs and potions.. There's a lot of way to make money in the World of Warcraft!

As a rogue in TBC, you can do lockpick runs in the Arcatraz or one of those dungeons, I forget which. Blood Elf dungeons.. they're all the same.

Edited by BallsMalloney
more ideas came up

6 hours ago, Lilaina said:

Or do you need to keep actively farming something/play with the AH?

This is mostly what I try to do.  On elysium right now I have a 60 mage.  As the game progresses and new enchants and such are released, you just have to anticipate what materials are going to be in high demand and then go farm them.  Arcane crystals are always in high demand, so mining isn't a bad skill.

You'll also just want to start running dungeons.  Strat/UBRS/BRD emp runs, people run them for BIS gear, but a lot of blues drop, so vendoring those or disenchanting them just builds up gold over time.

Gold accumulation is different with every server though, so we'll almost just have to wait until release of CF to really find out what the best farming spots and best things to farm are.  

Once a stable market forms, it's all about having a monopoly ;) My plan is to accumulate as much gold as possible by playing the Auction House and get ready for TBC.

So one option always is to play the AH, but that requires you to familiarize yourself with the market and know what sells and what doesn't. It can be a good stable income but also you can lose a lot of money. Flipping is great especially in later expansions too!

Edited by rooted

I never got to end game in vanilla. To get the 100 gold for my mount all I did was sell Great Rage Potion and occasionally Frost Oil and Shadow Oil. But the rage pots really did the magic. Large Fang and Kingsblood are both cheap, and you get a sweet potion outa them!

11 hours ago, Clavus said:

I never got to end game in vanilla. To get the 100 gold for my mount all I did was sell Great Rage Potion and occasionally Frost Oil and Shadow Oil. But the rage pots really did the magic. Large Fang and Kingsblood are both cheap, and you get a sweet potion outa them!

I'm not really worried about the gold for the lvl 40 mount. I got the gold I needed around 42 or 43 just by questing in Tanaris on kronos.

Didn't know Large Fangs have an actual use. :P

Edited by Lilaina

Fishing Olily Blackmouth and Stonescale Eel.

To go with what @Bluemoon said, there are a number of fairly easily attainable reagents that are in high demand constantly. If you have a good idea of what the actual market value of an item should be, it's pretty easy to snatch up anything that's below that and resell it. It's too much of a pain to do it with some items, but once you have the gold you can essentially control the price of a given item. It also requires a time commitment and constant supervision of the AH, so I much prefer to just farm mats if I need money. Farming world elites is pretty good money as well, if you're a class that can do it.

I will say, one of the most consistent ways to farm gold is killing buzzards in deadwind pass.  The grey and green drops will consistently get you 20g an hour from a vendor.  So if you just want to grind out somewhere with no competition and no interaction with other players, that's a good place to go.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

I don't think it really matters which profession you choose, there's ways to make gold with all of them. You can grind out some of the 50-60 EXP in the right areas and make bank while you wait for dungeon groups as well. I had cooking/fishing leveled as I leveled up too. Feels good to hearth back to town with stacks of cloth, leather, and fish/meat that you know will sell on the AH.