Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Crestfall: The Next Stage

148 posts in this topic
11 hours ago, Roadblock said:

Personally I think a min level requirement both for initial and subsequent individual transfers makes more sense, especially if the timeline is known 2-3 months in advance.

People would still be able to create fresh characters on either realm.

The only issue which comes in mind is the one with bank charakters. If someone would like to take all the stuff along to tbc it maybe wouldn't be possible for them. On the other hand i don't know which crafting materials from vanilla would be of use in tbc except maybe a ton of gems to level up jewelcrafting asap.

Edited by Mogri

3 hours ago, echis said:

What a relief.

I registered here in mid-November, after a couple of months of lurking. I decided to put all my eggs into this one basket because I was convinced that what I had found was some sort of calm oasis amidst the harsh, unforgiving, and most of all unpredictable and unstable landscape of WOW emulation. A sort of gated community, if you will, preserved by the fact that it did not try to capitalize on the void left by Nostalrius and subsequent events in the emulation scene. The team seemed intent on keeping their heads down, and working at their own pace to give us a vanilla experience of unparalleled quality. "It will launch when it's ready." It was a breath of fresh air. It was the place for me.  I've not been the most active and outgoing member of this community - that's just how I am, but I have enjoyed sitting back and watching it develop, eager to meet all of you in-game. 

When the Legacy Network was first announced, I must admit I was immediately skeptical. The initial announcement left many questions unanswered, and I was certain that our little oasis was under serious threat - water is a precious commodity in these parts. Of course, I realized that a server of the quality that the Crestfall team is aiming for would eventually attract a lot of attention. But willingly inviting the drama-machine that is the "pserver community" into our midst seemed ill-advised. Had I not just found sanctuary from this very thing? I was not alone. Others spoke up, articulating my feelings and concerns so well that I felt like there was little to add.

I silently watched the developing shitstorm with equal amounts of fascination, disbelief, frustration and a general lack of faith in humanity. I have never been under any illusions when it comes to the Internets ability to bring out the worst in people. But the sheer level of vitriolic, self-destructive tendency towards drama, fake outrage, and scapegoating on display in the extended private server "community" took me by surprise. Were these people even interested in playing games? Or were they just here to abuse each other?

So, it didn't work out. I am, of course, in no position to say I told you so - because I didn't.

But the most important thing is that we got through it. We may be scarred, but we are still here. The dream still lives. The oasis, while no longer a secret, has not dried up.

I want to extend a big thank you to the entire Crestfall team, for making the right decision. Thank you for the excellent post, @Darkrasp. It was everything I had hoped for, after the tempestuous couple of weeks we've had. I fully support Crestfalls decision to cease communication through Reddit and Discord. These channels are not, nor have they ever been, arenas for worthwhile, level-headed discussion.

Thank you for not giving up on this project, on this community. 

You have beautifully written what I had in my mind for Crestfall :) Nostalrius represented a matured version of Vanilla community that was centered around the pure World of Warcraft experience, and this is why I am finally backing a project like this. I'd wish I contributed to Nostalrius earlier but I was too focused on my personal life, and now I have time to contribute. United, we are one!

3 hours ago, echis said:

What a relief.

I registered here in mid-November, after a couple of months of lurking. I decided to put all my eggs into this one basket because I was convinced that what I had found was some sort of calm oasis amidst the harsh, unforgiving, and most of all unpredictable and unstable landscape of WOW emulation. A sort of gated community, if you will, preserved by the fact that it did not try to capitalize on the void left by Nostalrius and subsequent events in the emulation scene. The team seemed intent on keeping their heads down, and working at their own pace to give us a vanilla experience of unparalleled quality. "It will launch when it's ready." It was a breath of fresh air. It was the place for me.  I've not been the most active and outgoing member of this community - that's just how I am, but I have enjoyed sitting back and watching it develop, eager to meet all of you in-game. 

When the Legacy Network was first announced, I must admit I was immediately skeptical. The initial announcement left many questions unanswered, and I was certain that our little oasis was under serious threat - water is a precious commodity in these parts. Of course, I realized that a server of the quality that the Crestfall team is aiming for would eventually attract a lot of attention. But willingly inviting the drama-machine that is the "pserver community" into our midst seemed ill-advised. Had I not just found sanctuary from this very thing? I was not alone. Others spoke up, articulating my feelings and concerns so well that I felt like there was little to add.

I silently watched the developing shitstorm with equal amounts of fascination, disbelief, frustration and a general lack of faith in humanity. I have never been under any illusions when it comes to the Internets ability to bring out the worst in people. But the sheer level of vitriolic, self-destructive tendency towards drama, fake outrage, and scapegoating on display in the extended private server "community" took me by surprise. Were these people even interested in playing games? Or were they just here to abuse each other?

So, it didn't work out. I am, of course, in no position to say I told you so - because I didn't.

But the most important thing is that we got through it. We may be scarred, but we are still here. The dream still lives. The oasis, while no longer a secret, has not dried up.

I want to extend a big thank you to the entire Crestfall team, for making the right decision. Thank you for the excellent post, @Darkrasp. It was everything I had hoped for, after the tempestuous couple of weeks we've had. I fully support Crestfalls decision to cease communication through Reddit and Discord. These channels are not, nor have they ever been, arenas for worthwhile, level-headed discussion.

Thank you for not giving up on this project, on this community. 

I'd opt for every response to be deleted and this to be the only one, stickied and locked.

23 hours ago, Dawnstorm said:

Thanks for your contribution to the community. 

@Darkrasp Thank you, thank you, thank you for seeing reason. I am genuinely sorry on behalf of the toxic influences that saw fit to pry into the personal lives of the staff; that is totally unacceptable. As someone who was obviously against that whole LGN business from the word 'go', I'm glad it's largely blown over. I always wished you guys the best of luck but now I can again look forward to actually being a part of CF instead of just distantly hoping it succeeds. 

He already said it. I am happy that you have reconsidered, though with a wife and kid(s?) I can very much understand your reaction. Thanks a lot for sticking with this project and the same goes for the others that had to experience the same breach of privacy.

Thanks again and good luck.

I waited patiently for several days for the wonderful news I hoped was on its way and I was not disappointed!
Not only, because I wanted to hear these exact words but I also thought that this was the only good solution: Tank all that drama to the face and keep going. This shows how powerful and resilient our CF management team is and you have my respect @Asura @Darkrasp@Crogge and all the others!

PR really goes a long way if you let the community know that you value their opinion and listen to it. And this update really hits it home! :)
About Discord: I thought it was a bit distracting and making the forums emptier. Glad that it is being done away with, nothing lost really.

As for keeping up a Vanilla realm IF there is a substantial player base still there - it is awesome. I will be sure to keep a few characters around if I feel like it. ^_^

The only thing I wish to add is that the cross-faction BGs would be a wonderful idea. No, I would even say, necessary most of the time. I have been on too many private servers, where players would switch factions en masse because the other one was winning more games. This eventually causes the whole PVP scene to die a one sided death, sad as it is. And I am not even a PVP fan but this has always bugged me as a problem. The solution might not be simple to make but it is worthwhile to consider.

So, thank you again for this much anticipated update and I will be here, continuing to wait patiently :ph34r:

@Darkrasp Great, transparent and informative post and I also personally :x the concept of transfers and functioning of realms. 

There's not much I can say that @echis hasn't already said much more eloquently than I ever could. I'm too one of the more silent readers and want to reply here in show of support of the team working on Crestfall.

Please keep working on this server that all of you have dreamed for such a long time. We'll be here later this year or in 2018 or beyond whenever you're ready to launch the server. Focus on what made Crestfall be Crestfall. And should ever forget what these ideals were, I think consulting with senior forum members to speak on the communities behalf is a great idea.

Ok, that answers things a little more clearly in terms of what transition from Vanilla to TBC will be like. Yes, the transfer instead of the copy is the right path to go in my opinion.

But I am a little worried:

I started playing near the end of Vanilla WoW, and by the time I started raiding it was with a bunch of alts who crushed MC the week before the Dark Portal. I thought the raids were amazing, but then nobody wanted to touch any level 60 content anymore. Finally in WotLK I was able to see Naxx completely, it was fascinating! I also found some friends and we explored BWL, AQ, stood in the path of Onyxia's flame breath, and fought over who would get a ZG mount that never dropped. I may have them rose-coloured shades equipped but what I saw of Vanilla was really fun - and I wanted more. Playing on Nostalrius only stoked this desire as I got to experience the feeling of being on the leading edge of clearing content, instead of lagging behind.

That being said, I am not that fast. I want to revel in the Vanilla content, make an alt after I hit 60 on my main, raid with it too. I absolutely love Burning Crusade, but I have many more memories playing it then Vanilla. I am concerned that once people have cleared Vanilla they will leave en-masse to BC and I won't have anyone to play with. I do plan to roll a character on a BC server, but I also want to live a Vanilla bubble!

10 hours ago, echis said:

Others spoke up, articulating my feelings and concerns so well that I felt like there was little to add.

Hah, I just addressed it in my musing on the use of reputation. So, having failed at putting it succintly forward, I'll just upvote you and go sit back down.

On 26.2.2017 at 5:33 PM, Darkrasp said:

We will do progressive content releases - as originally planned, not perfectly patch by patch, but a close approximation that will be easier for us to manage.

I have a question regarding this statement. Will Maraudon be available at the beginning? If i remember correctly it was added with patch 1.2 on retail. I guess it would be easy to just keep it closed for some weeks after launch but for me personally it's an important point because i would like to experience all of the dungeons on my way to 60 and doing maraudon later on while already beeing max level would not be the same.

I know it's not the most important question (as many players hate Maraudon anyway) but none the less i wanted to ask.

Mara available at release makes more sense imo. The only people to go back at 60 will be princess runs. Having it while everyone is leveling gives everyone the opportunity to do so while being level appropriate. Not a big deal either way  whatever the decision is

12 hours ago, Roadblock said:

Adding a couple questions of my own.

• When the BC realm at 2.0.1 opens, will all characters on the Vanilla realm get the option to flag for transfer or only 58+ ?
  • Similarly, for players that decide to flag individual characters later, after the initial mass exodus would the same min level requirement apply?

Personally I think a min level requirement both for initial and subsequent individual transfers makes more sense, especially if the timeline is known 2-3 months in advance.

People would still be able to create fresh characters on either realm.

dont want gold sellers to xfer lvl 1 guys to TBC

there wont be as many on crestfall, but therell likely be some anyway, even if not many

Edited by Aquane

On 2/26/2017 at 11:34 AM, Darkrasp said:

Q)  Will battlegrounds be linked if you eventually open more than one server?

A)  It's something that is technically possible but a great deal of work.  We'll avoid it if we can, but if queue times or queue dodging are judged to be a serious enough problem, we can work on the implementation of cross-realm battlegrounds.  I won't get into the technical details of this, but suffice to say it is quite complex.  Some of the work for it has already been done, so we know it is possible, and we know how to do it, it's just low priority at the moment.

if queue dodging and premades and AFKing in BGs becomes a big enough problem like they were on nost, then maybe you can hire a GM whose only job is to make sure that they aren't problems

Edited by Aquane

I have a question. Where abouts are you guys based and how will you stop Blizzard from shutting you down? Thanks 

I am but a humble lurker and I too just wanted to show some appreciation, I bet there are many more like me. I am SO eager to be a part of this project. I'm actually planning ahead already to make time in the near future to be able to put down a lot of hours on this project! I'm really glad that you managed to sort out all the shenaningans and are back on track again <3

Keep it up fellas!

Edited by bodie

This development is astonishing. I'm more excited for Crestfall than ever. I can't wait to join whenever it will be released and introduce my girlfriend to the monumental masterpiece that Wow is for our gaming generation.

Whaaa im ready for pvp realm ! Luktaro gar! Let it be times to remeber zag zag -)

I'm slightly bummed that:

1) I'd have to re-level...again. -- I've done it enough.

2) A character won't be copied to the TBC realm. -- Why not allow a one-time copy per character; just because I want my main to move on doesn't mean I won't want to play Vanilla with it. Sure I could recreate the character...but then I'm back at point #1.

Posted (edited)

If you did that, what about all of your bag and bank items plus gold.  It would seem odd that you got to take it all with you, but sill had it on the old server.  The same goes for the gear that your going to de or vendor for money.  To me it just seems like you get to have the cake and eat it to.

Or if they did allow it would they say you take it all with you (bag/bank/money) and the vanilla 60 has just gear on him? Or other way around your TBC toon has just gear no bank,bag items, money

I know it would suck to lvl again, but it just seems less of a headache.

I should also add whats stopping you form taking all the items you have putting them on one toon, copy the toon, then sending it to your next 60 and copy again.

Not saying i don't agree with you, just saying anyone who can take advantage of it will.

Edited by Harmless

16 minutes ago, illutian said:

I'm slightly bummed that:

1) I'd have to re-level...again. -- I've done it enough.

2) A character won't be copied to the TBC realm. -- Why not allow a one-time copy per character; just because I want my main to move on doesn't mean I won't want to play Vanilla with it. Sure I could recreate the character...but then I'm back at point #1.

Pretty sure someone already explained why copying characters and having them on both realms would be a problem. If it wasn't obvious enough already that if they're doing it this way that means the alternative is very likely a bad one...

Yikes. Leveling in WoW? Unheard of. banter

7 minutes ago, VeloxBanks said:

Pretty sure someone already explained why copying characters and having them on both realms would be a problem.

@illutian I can re-explain. Usually when a copy happens, people hoard everything they can - gold, trade goods, probably even rough stone, onto one character. Then copy it. Then send all of that onto another character. Then copy that one. The only effective measure to combat this would be to allow to copy only soulbound items and a gold limit, probably per account - if it was per character, it could be misused, QED above.

1 hour ago, Harmless said:

If you did that, what about all of your bag and bank items plus gold.  It would seem odd that you got to take it all with you, but sill had it on the old server.  The same goes for the gear that your going to de or vendor for money.  To me it just seems like you get to have the cake and eat it to.

Or if they did allow it would they say you take it all with you (bag/bank/money) and the vanilla 60 has just gear on him? Or other way around your TBC toon has just gear no bank,bag items, money

I know it would suck to lvl again, but it just seems less of a headache.

I should also add whats stopping you form taking all the items you have putting them on one toon, copy the toon, then sending it to your next 60 and copy again.

Not saying i don't agree with you, just saying anyone who can take advantage of it will.

Well, as I understand it you're transferring your character 'as is' to the TBC realm. And my way just puts a one-time use of the transfer (but as a copy). Without that 'one time use', ya, you could keep farming and copy over again, vendor, rinse and repeat.

But Vanilla goes away once 2.0 hits. Paladins get taunt, decent tanking abilities)...but shamans lose 2-hand WF as a 'viable' spec. I was able to keep pretty decent number with the Crystal-forged Axe (two handed 'blue' axe; like 3.4sec swing), but was no where near what a DW shaman pulled. But it's not as much fun DWing...I miss those 3k WF crits on gnomes with 2.5k health. :P

You mention sending items to another. That's a valid point. So what about a one-time copy per account? And the rest are moves only?

Or, being able to "unlock" a character recreation on the Vanilla server once you've hit 70 that allows you to bring your lvl 70 back to Vanilla (obviously de-lvled to 60) completely naked; no gold, mount, BAGS, or professions.

----

I get people think it's necessary to level in Vanilla, but I did it already. I don't feel I need to do it again. I am tired of pushing the boulder up the hill. This goes for any game. Battlefield; I buy the unlock packs. WoW (retail); I buy the level up token and then PVP to max level. Black Desert; I farm (literally :P ). Mostly, because I level/progress so slowly (still lvl 49 on Elysium; 2 months to get lvl 110; still not lvl 55 in Black Desert [been playing since early access]). But also because it's a carrot on a stick designed to keep you paying, even the free-to-plays offer "faster leveling" with an active subscription. But, on these servers, we're not expected to pay. So the curve is completely skewed wrong; there's difficulty where none needs to be. -- For those who can reach max level in a week...great. Awesome. My ass will still be way back 'there' for probably the next 4 months.

For the record, when I ask to be able to buy a lvl 60 (or max level). I mean, just a character with the level changed. I don't want my choice of gear, a stipend of gold, max-level professions. I want to spawn in Northshire as a lvl 60 paladin with my lvl 1 2hand mace, rank 1 holy light, 5 cheese thingies, 5 mineral waters, and a hearthstone [set to Northshire].

...and no. That thinking will never change. I will never "oh well, now I kinda want to buy gear"