Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kazgarul

Help me pick a class please

Hey all,

On Kronos I played prot warr and absolutely loved it during group content - raids/dungeons. But as BWL came out it was now necessary to grind gold for flasks and that was taking up a LOT of time, more than I wanted to because Prot warriors kill mobs slowly and are bad at WPvP. So I'm asking you to help me decide on a class and help me make some money (enough to raid).

There's a few key points that I'm considering when choosing a class. It should be noted the only class that is off the table is hunter as I might even quite before level 10 and managing the pet is not fun for me. The class doesn't have to meet all the points I list but just bare in mind that I'm looking to minimise my time spent farming mats and on other annoyances - say hunter pet management. Also I like to tank, heal and DPS so this doesn't matter to me.

Point 1: I'd prefer a low maintenance class such as a warrior. I'm probably not going to pick warrior but luckily warriors don't have any systems such as soul shards or feeding a pet so I'm using it as an example. This is a lower priority for me than other points. Also, classes with fewer consumables are preferable - although I'm likely going to pick alchemy or enchanting to help myself out with enchants/consumables.

Point 2: During levelling I want to not only be able to take down mobs at a decent pace but also have low downtime. Low downtime is more important to me than how fast stuff dies. I levelled a warrior last time, it was slow, I want something faster. 

Point 3: Also during levelling - this one is a must - be able to hold my own in 1v1 WPvP somehow. Either the class can fight other classes or can reliably escape. I remember envying druids because shapeshifting was an easy way to escape, also rogues due to vanish and definitely locks and mages due to how easily they could kill. As a warrior I was feared, horrified, frozen, stunned, charmed, sleeped, sheeped and slowed and there was nothing I could do about it (except fear - though breaking it often meant insta horrify lol).

Point 4: I need to make gold at 60. This point is more open but probably the most important. At 60 I'm probably going to be either grinding mobs or farming ores/herbs for gold. Farming any node often results in WPvP so I don't want to be getting corpse ganked, and grinding mobs needs to be fast enough that I don't gouge my eyes out. Please take into account how easy it will be to cover my raid costs when suggesting a class. 

Point to consider - this is all relative, I'm not talking about absolutes. I know that it takes time for any class to farm mats/consumables, etc but I don't want to be bottom of the pile. I also know that most classes cannot handle every WPvP situation they encounter but again I don't want to be bottom of the pile for that either. I'm not looking to be the best at everything as I know that's unrealistic also. 

EDIT: Would love to hear what class you guys play and why you play it :)

Edited by Kazgarul

Mage. Great dps, fast leveling, can easily make gold at top lvl.

Edited by Macu

I'm rolling a hunter because I love pets, especially cats (and I can feed them the fish I catch, perfect!), and in Vanilla the pet system is the best because you actually sort of bond with them thanks to the loyalty mechanic. And it's a very good class for loners like me. I don't need anyone!

21 minutes ago, Macu said:

Mage. Great dps, fast leveling, can easily make gold at top lvl.

Seems like a good choice for me. Approximately how long do you spend (outside of DM because they are nerfing it on this server) grinding gold for raid consumables? Only thing is I do find mages a bit boring but maybe that'll get better at higher levels.

Mage is the best. But they have downtime and use consumables a fair bit. Warlocks need soul shards but they are incredibly efficient.

Play a druid. No downtime, and the class honestly never gets boring. Super low maintenance overall. You'll always have something to do, as collecting gear for all the specs is never ending. You'll always have a good shot against any class in 1v1. Competition towards raid loot is low because they are the least played class. People bash the class all the time, but it's likely they never played one.

3 minutes ago, Negrodamus said:

Play a druid. No downtime, and the class honestly never gets boring. Super low maintenance overall. You'll always have something to do, as collecting gear for all the specs is never ending. You'll always have a good shot against any class in 1v1. Competition towards raid loot is low because they are the least played class. People bash the class all the time, but it's likely they never played one.

Upvote for the reference. 

2 hours ago, Negrodamus said:

As a druid who was 8/8 t2 in bwl playing a druid was hell sometimes, especially since I was 24/0/27 most of the time so grinding was a literal drag. 

Anyway OP, I'd recommend a mage. Low maintenance, not gear Dependant at all and you can make your own food/water. Its also the best old maker class.

Just play a DPS warrior instead of a Tank warrior. Then if you ever feel like tanking bam swap over!

As many others have already replied, it sounds like you should play a mage based on your preferences.

1. Low maintenance, no shars or such. Sure you make water, but that's free and not very straining.

2. Mage is a fast leveler, at least compared to warrior. No matter if u go fire or frost you find rotations that can keep you going without drinking for a few mobs.

3. Sheep etc..

4. Mabye the best gold maker

On a side note: if you've got the time you can level an alt to make gold for you...

Warrior because im a masochist. I find the class exciting (unlike a mage), and I love melee in vanilla. Getting a weapon is just more joy, and you feel like a badass when you get one. Fury is love.

3 hours ago, Pinkbeard said:

On a side note: if you've got the time you can level an alt to make gold for you...

This was my first thought.

For one toon I would say make a druid (of course I would say that :) ). Spec it feral and you can level with virtually no down time once you make it past level 10. Also, you can dps and off tank if you enjoy tanking. They are survivable in a WPvP environment too. Only real drawback is bag space, you will never have enough for all the gear you need!

Hunters are super easy if you keep it simple and do a bit of prep. Choose a pet who isn't a fussy eater (like a cat or a boar) and keep it on "Passive." Bind "Attack", "Growl", "Bite" and "Heal pet" to single keys and treat as any other part of your rotation: Mark, attack, growl, bite, stun, sting, shoot.... As long as you keep growling and biting and don't overdo the Arcane Shot your pet will take all the aggro and your auto-shot will maintain damage, giving you little downtime. Again, big drawback in vanilla is bag space as you lose one to ammo (and noise if, like me, you choose a gun-toting Dwarf :D ).

11 minutes ago, Bobthebomb said:

This was my first thought.

For one toon I would say make a druid (of course I would say that :) ). Spec it feral and you can level with virtually no down time once you make it past level 10. Also, you can dps and off tank if you enjoy tanking. They are survivable in a WPvP environment too. Only real drawback is bag space, you will never have enough for all the gear you need!

Hunters are super easy if you keep it simple and do a bit of prep. Choose a pet who isn't a fussy eater (like a cat or a boar) and keep it on "Passive." Bind "Attack", "Growl", "Bite" and "Heal pet" to single keys and treat as any other part of your rotation: Mark, attack, growl, bite, stun, sting, shoot.... As long as you keep growling and biting and don't overdo the Arcane Shot your pet will take all the aggro and your auto-shot will maintain damage, giving you little downtime. Again, big drawback in vanilla is bag space as you lose one to ammo (and noise if, like me, you choose a gun-toting Dwarf :D ).

Thanks for your suggestion. Yeah a gold alt might give me more choice on my class and druid sounds fun. The problem with the hunter class is not really the feeding of the pet, but the fact that I could be expected to have a bunch of different pets for different raid encounters, which is just too much of a pain for me. Also I'm not very good at kiting lol so I would be a terrible hunter 

Lol, I'm the same when it comes to kiting!

I was thinking you could use the hunter for the gold-getting alt as they level quickly and are great for soloing/farming.

16 hours ago, Kazgarul said:

I'd prefer a low maintenance class

Rogue.

During levelling I want to not only be able to take down mobs at a decent pace but also have low downtime.

Rogue?

Also during levelling - this one is a must - be able to hold my own in 1v1 WPvP somehow.

Rogue!

I need to make gold at 60.

Rogue...

Ah yes, you can also spit on ppl, sit on their faces after you beat em with permastun, gank lowbies, /moo on taurens and speak with phrases like:
-lol newb i beat ya with every class
-learn to play your class noob
-you plebs are making joke dps
-LF4M BRD LAVARUN HOJ/IRONFOE RESERVED!!!!!!11

Edited by duzyizly

Druid is love, Druid is life.

Thanks guys, I think I will try out rogue, mage and druid on another server to see how I like their playstyle. I also really like the paladin class but I'm scared that gold acquisition will be extremely difficult at endgame as a holy pala. Not sure I want to be paying 60g each time to respec.

On 27/02/2017 at 2:40 PM, Elicas said:

Druid is love, Druid is life.

Druid all the way <3