Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elicas

Wheres my Torment peeps at?

34 posts in this topic

It's release day. Squeee.

Who else is playing today?

Just recruited the first two companions. I can read minds in this game! What class did/will you choose?

edit.

Already rerolled. I want to have both scan thoughts and perception skill for max amount of dialogue options. :P

Edited by Lilaina

Oh snap.

Time to close thread to avoid spoilers and wait 3 months for bug fixes...

2 hours ago, Lilaina said:

Just recruited the first two companions. I can read minds in this game! What class did/will you choose?

edit.

Already rerolled. I want to have both scan thoughts and perception skill for max amount of dialogue options. :P

Well, my first character died before I even reached the game.

GG.

Settled on a 10/5/5 male Jack with the Strong descriptor.

4 minutes ago, Elicas said:

GG.

Love it.

35 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Mine is a Charming 5/5/7 male Nano who's going to lie and manipulate his way through most situations. Dominant tides are silver and blue. Was going to be a Jack first based on the mirror but then I saw the Scan Thoughts ability that only Nano's have access to and I had to have that. :P

35 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Terminal velocity!

@myrnym

The first third of the game has been in early access for a long time so at least that part should be pretty polished.

Edited by Lilaina

I AM AT WORK DAMMIT I CAN'T DO FUN THINGS

does the game use similar stat system to tyranny and pillars of eternity? both of those games were so bland when it came to stats and weapons, I got bored halfway through (homogenization strikes again)

goddamn it, just give me BG2 with new story/locations and I'll be happy

9 minutes ago, meph said:

does the game use similar stat system to tyranny and pillars of eternity? both of those games were so bland when it came to stats and weapons, I got bored halfway through (homogenization strikes again)

goddamn it, just give me BG2 with new story/locations and I'll be happy

Well, first of all this game is turn based instead of real time with pause, and there are lots of skill checks. Second, combat and numbers are not that important, most of the game time is spent reading dialogue and roleplaying. From what I can tell, there are three main stats and some different types of defenses. If you want BG style combat this isn't the game for you, If you liked Planescape: Torment, you'll like this one too most likely.

2 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

Well, first of all this game is turn based instead of real time with pause, and there are lots of skill checks. Second, combat and numbers are not that important, most of the game time is spent reading dialogue and roleplaying. From what I can tell, there are three main stats and some different types of defenses. If you want BG style combat this isn't the game for you, If you liked Planescape: Torment, you'll like this one too most likely.

I did enjoy Planescape Torment during school, but I no longer have the patience for that kind of game. Sounds like I'll pass this one (or just buy it on steam and return it if I don't like it)

Heh... yea, sometimes I don't have the patience neither. Must... explore... all... dialogue... and... story... options... and... character... classes...

3 hours ago, Lilaina said:

@myrnym

The first third of the game has been in early access for a long time so at least that part should be pretty polished.

Play a third of the game and then wait 3 months still? Madness.

You early enthusiasts pave the way for my bug-free joyride. ;)

23 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Must... explore... all... dialogue... and... story... options...

I also always obsessively go though all possible dialogue choices...turns out that's not a good idea in this game :D

1.png

Finished it this morning, 22 hours /played and 27% achievements collected. Was all right, lots of frustrating design choices though. I'm in no real rush to play it through again any time soon.

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

Finished it this morning, 22 hours /played and 27% achievements collected. Was all right, lots of frustrating design choices though. I'm in no real rush to play it through again any time soon.

6 hours in and I've only been to 2 areas myself. :P

Trying it out now, can't say I'm impressed but it does seem to be getting better. The initial impression you get from the tutorial isn't good though, they should sort that out. I'm not expecting another PS:T but I hope the SJW stuff doesn't get more prominent as you progress and writing doesn't fall short abruptly in certain places as if it was rushed to fill a gap.

10 hours ago, Elicas said:

What frustrations?

1 hour ago, Terpsichore said:

SJW stuff

Huh?

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Elicas said:

lots of frustrating design choices

Pls no. So many CRPGs, well, games in general suffer from this lately. Which is a shame, because most of them look like they were done with love.

On the bright side, it's not an open world action game. Those usually can't decide what they want to be and end up being incredibly mediocre overall. If you ever played a Ubisoft blockbuster in the past 5 or so years, you know.

9 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

SJW stuff

Oh no. How bad is it? I hope it's not as bad as what they did with Dragon Age 3 or BG enhanced edition (the latter one pissed me off, since the online stores pulled the normal edition, which means I can't even buy the games now because I would get a shitty version AND I would support Bioware, which is infested to the brim with SJWs - which, btw, makes me wonder about how they handle ME Andromeda).

Edited by Xaverius

29 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Oh no. How bad is it?

I haven't noticed anything "SJW:ish" in the game so far. Then again, I didn't see anything wrong with DA:I or BG:EE either. (Story/charcters wise that is, the gameplay in DA:I is terrible)

As for frustrating design choices, some might hate the fact that skill checks have % chance to succeed or fail which encourages save scumming.

13 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

skill checks have % chance to succeed or fail which encourages save scumming.

Pff. Back in my day, everyone was using save/load and nobody thought it was something shady :P.

8 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Pff. Back in my day, everyone was using save/load and nobody thought it was something shady :P.

I used to do that too but then I realized it makes most games less fun. BG + SCS + no reloads playthrough was the most fun I've had with a game in years and now I rarely reload in any game.

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

Oh no. How bad is it? I hope it's not as bad as what they did with Dragon Age 3 or BG enhanced edition (the latter one pissed me off, since the online stores pulled the normal edition, which means I can't even buy the games now because I would get a shitty version AND I would support Bioware, which is infested to the brim with SJWs - which, btw, makes me wonder about how they handle ME Andromeda).

The entirety of the population is brown skinned because that's apparently the team's vision of what humankind in the distant future will become, which seems to be a standard SJW fantasy nowadays. So instead of a rich world filled with all sort of beings like we saw in PS:T and its setting, you see 99% brown skinned humanoids and occasional constructs plus other undefined stuff. Not even 10 minutes in you meet a gay character who can also become a compaion. It isn't that hamfisted and probably not as bad as in DA:I, MEs or that BG:EE aberration but I'm sure there's more to come.

I'm just tired of all this unnecessary, forced and cringe-worthy stuff in games just to please some SJWs and entertain their delusions while alienating most of potential players. I just want a properly written RPG.