Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elicas

Wheres my Torment peeps at?

34 posts in this topic
8 hours ago, myrnym said:

What frustrations?

I've coloured my typing black, so if you don't want to see spoilers you wont have it ruined. Just highlight the post to read it, I don't think there's a way to do proper spoilers tags on the forum.

For me, mainly;

[SPOILERS]

2 of the classes are primarily combat orientated. Less than 10% of your time will be spent in combat. The primary skill check stat is Intellect. If you're playing anything other than a Nano, objectively, you're playing the game 'wrong'.

I have, as yet, found absolutely no way to check whats buffs/debuffs are on enemy characters, or a way to see in details what those buffs/debuffs do.

You can only really change the main equipment of the Last Castoff (outside of paying to give everyones gear a slight buff in Miel Averst) which makes the majority of loot pointless vendor trash and your companions, for the most part, uncustomizable.

When you do get into combat, it's not unusual to be outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 by enemies with 2-3x your own HP.

The worst combat companion in the early game, is the best combat companion after they leave you and return at the end of the game. That's after those un-skipable story battles though, meaning she's basically pointless.

Matinka, the Assassin, the "White Death", the most feared killer in the game? She's the slowest initiative combat character in the game, meaning enemies can always gets hits off on her before she can hit them. With the way the AI prioritizes hitting low HP combatants first, this has led to situations where she gets knocked down before landing a single hit.

[MORE MAJOR SPOILERS]

There are at least 2 unskippable combat zones in the game, one of which is built around endlessly respawning waves of Bloom maws.

All of the companions in the game are recruited in Sagus Cliffs, which you can't ever get back to after you move on. It's then possible to lose said companions later with no chance of getting any back.

As to the SJW stuff from Terpsichore above, that's someone who doesn't understand the backstory projecting. It's set a billion years in the future, after 8 other human civilizations have risen (hence why this is called the "Ninth World"), reached the stars and collapsed again. Pretty much everyone in the game is of no fixed or defined race, though even then, all but one of the companion characters are on the white side of the colour spectrum. You then have various aliens, mutants, 'weirds' and constructs.

http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Companions_(T:ToN)

[Very Minor Spoilers]

Callistege, Aligern, Erritis and Rhin are mixed race white.
Tybir is mixed race black.
Matkina is an albino.

For everyone else in the game, their race doesn't matter since they don't get a portrait. From the ingame character models, it seems that 50:50 are white/coloured.

The Player Character is always described as being 'brown skinned' and uses a brown in game portrait regardless of which gender you pick.

Overall, it's a huge non issue.

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Terpsichore said:

The entirety of the population is brown skinned because that's apparently the team's vision of what humankind in the distant future will become, which seems to be a standard SJW fantasy nowadays.

Nah, that's been a theory/future projection that I first heard in the 90s so it's around much longer than that, probably. I'd kinda considered it one of the genre staples, that in the far future, everyone in the western world's gonna be hispanic-looking.  Though this game is so far away in the future, that I think everyone should be pale grey or slightly blue instead :P.

@Elicas Albino with black hair? Either google is lying, or she uses hair dye  you're wrong. I'm very confused.

Edited by Xaverius

3 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Albino with black hair? Either google is lying, or she uses hair dye  you're wrong. I'm very confused.

Who says Albinos a billion years in the future have to have the same hair colour patterning we do now?

Arguably, you could say the majority of people you meet in the game are nearly all likely to be less than 100% human.

9 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Who says Albinos a billion years in the future have to have the same hair colour patterning we do now?

Well, albinism is the lack of melanin, the name itself alluding to the colour white. So the only acceptable scenario would be that melanocytes over the vast aeons mutated enough that they started causing the lack of pigmentation, rather than what they do as of present time. Which would mean everyone's base colour is dark brown with black hair. Of course, that'd mean her skin wouldn't be so white. So either she's dying her hair or she's lightening her face :v.

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

Well, albinism is the lack of melanin, the name itself alluding to the colour white. So the only acceptable scenario would be that melanocytes over the vast aeons mutated enough that they started causing the lack of pigmentation, rather than what they do as of present time. Which would mean everyone's base colour is dark brown with black hair. Of course, that'd mean her skin wouldn't be so white. So either she's dying her hair or she's lightening her face :v.

Shall we just presume their art department or their writing department fucked something up and/or didn't think about it? :P

11 hours ago, Elicas said:

As to the SJW stuff from Terpsichore above, that's someone who doesn't understand the backstory projecting. It's set a billion years in the future, after 8 other human civilizations have risen (hence why this is called the "Ninth World"), reached the stars and collapsed again. Pretty much everyone in the game is of no fixed or defined race, though even then, all but one of the companion characters are on the white side of the colour spectrum. You then have various aliens, mutants, 'weirds' and constructs.

http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Companions_(T:ToN)

[Very Minor Spoilers]

Callistege, Aligern, Erritis and Rhin are mixed race white.
Tybir is mixed race black.
Matkina is an albino.

For everyone else in the game, their race doesn't matter since they don't get a portrait. From the ingame character models, it seems that 50:50 are white/coloured.

The Player Character is always described as being 'brown skinned' and uses a brown in game portrait regardless of which gender you pick.

Overall, it's a huge non issue.

Ty for the response and effort on the spoiler notes. Much appreciated.

Not sure why people type so many things as 'sjw'.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, myrnym said:

Not sure why people type so many things as 'sjw'.

The term has kinda lost its meaning because people throw it around so much, often to just discredit someone with differing opinions.

As for RPG:s, things tend to get blown out of proportion imo. I literally didn't pay any attention whatsoever to the skin color of characters in Torment and thought my character was tanned. :P

And as far as gay/lesbian/whatever characters are concerned, they're usually portrayed unrealistically, yes, but the same is true of all romances, straight characters included. Romances in Bioware RPG:s for instance are so cringy and badly written anyway so getting upset over the amount of non-straight NPC:s seems silly to me. None of this makes Bioware or Beamdog "SJWs" in my eyes, just bad writers. And if I had to choose between plenty of choices, like in dragon age games, or just one choice (Anomen for female characters in original BG2), I'd definately go with more choices.

On another note, this scene totally makes up for some of the more hamfisted stuff in DA:I:

Edited by Lilaina

Please tell me there's a female version of that character that can throw the inquisitor over her shoulder and run off shouting "Snoo-snoo!".

I'm still butthurt they decided to give them horns.