Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

I thought I'd start a thread to discuss downranking spells as a Healing Priest.

I'm in no way an expert on this topic as I did a majority of my end game healing in BC and if I remember correctly that was around the time this entire topic became obsolete (or at least was heading that way). I'm personally curious as to some of the thought process behind downranking for certain situations and how a few players who are used to the mechanic get that accomplished.

So Downranking is essentially using a lower rank of a spell for mana efficiency or occassionally for a quicker cast (again I don't know if this is particularly applicable in terms of priest spells). If anyone has a better definition of such that would be helpful.

Currently I'm using click casting addons whereas in the past I used Healbot. I'm noticing issues with my setup (which might be better suited to ask in an addon thread) where Clique won't properly Downrank.

Calling all Vanilla healer pros for advice and help with the particulars of Downranking and how to actually implement those casts.

Hey,

As a general and maybe not so useful statement, downranking depends on your experience and your gear. I personally don't use Clique or the like, but it doesn't really matter when you look at downranking. As I like to be prepared for most of the situations and make the most of my mana (i.e. lowering the overhealing), I have a lot of spells downranked and binded. That however does not come immediately, so if you're rather new at this, I would use (considering you're level 60) :

- Rank 1, Rank 7 and an intermediate rank of Flash Heal, depending on your gear (around rank 3 to 5) ;

- Rank 1, Rank 3 of Heal. Later on, include other ranks. Heal is a very efficient spell as the coefficient is 85,7 % and not mana hungry.

- Rank 1, Rank 4 (later 5 with AQ20 book) of Greater Heal. Same coefficient as Heal, but more mana hungry since it heals more. It'll depend on what kind of damage the tank takes.

- Lesser Heal 3 is a very good spell to use too once you start getting geared. The coefficient is not that good, but it's basically a free spell.

- Rank 9 (later 10 with AQ20 book), Rank 3 of Renew. Max Rank for obvious reasons, Rank 3 has a 100 % coefficient for a very low amount of mana.

I hope I answered some of your questions, if you have any other, let me know !

Cheers

As I'm sure you're aware and as Oxyda said, the main purpose is to be efficient and reduce over-healing since any over-healing is effectively wasted mana. I found that experimenting in dungeons while leveling helped me to understand practically how that worked. I would always keep the current and previous ranks of the healing spells bound (not renew) while leveling. IMO you're gear generally will not be good enough to keep rank 1 of most spells bound until you get to the end game. I did not raid in vanilla, though I did heal up through the end of BRD, and for future reference, when I did raid in TBC I found that you have such a wide array of healing spells that you generally don't want to have multiple ranks for all of them bound (unless you're trying to join a top-tier raiding guild; I'm a filthy casual). I definitely suggest Healbot over Clique since you can specify exactly which spell/rank you want to cast (though it's not 100% reliable in vanilla iirc) and, for me, it is a better visualization. But I also don't use any UI mods that represent the party differently than the standard UI, so if you're combining Clique with something else, that might be an equivalent or better solution than HB.

If you don't want to use HB, I honestly would recommend setting up all the hotbars and keybinds in whichever UI bar mod you use. Something like 1 = Flash Heal current rank, Shift+1 = Flash Heal rank previous/mid rank, Alt+1 = Flash Heal rank 1, etc. Just something where the key is the spell and the modifier is constant for each spell. For example, the last time I used HB, I had whichever spell is most efficient for my gear set to left click, PW:S set to right click, Renew set to middle click, then shift+left click is something that casts quicker than left click, and shift+right click is the biggest heal I have. That way left click always has priority and shift=panic mode. Just make sure you set it up in a way that makes sense to you personally. The easier you make it on your brain to associate the modifier keys with what you actually want to happen, the easier it is for them to become second nature.

P.S. As far as the addon goes, first thing is to verify the version of the addon matches the version of the game you're playing.

P.P.S. I don't intend for any of that to sound condescending if it does. It felt like I moved a little away from the actual question towards the end.