Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kelila

Looking for Some Knowledge on Resource Nodes

I've played on several private servers recently and I'm still very confused as to how Herb and Mining nodes respawn. I know that CF might have a different way of handling node respawning, but I'm curious if anyone has some knowledge on how it was done on vanilla. I've tried to do some research online but haven't found any solid evidence of how it's supposed to work.

For example: I'm in Un'Goro mining Rich thorium nodes.  Is there a cap to the number of nodes in the zone? Is that cap just for the Rich Thorium nodes? Or is it for any node in the zone? I've seen some databases show that Rich thorium has a 45 minute respawn timer.  Does that mean when one ore is mined, there is a 45 minute timer before another randomly selected node is able to respawn? Is there a strategy of mining lower tier ores in a zone to force the spawns of the rarer ores faster?

Whenever I've farmed it, I've just done big loops and I assume it's just luck when I find a spawn.  I understand that a bit of rng in this is what prevents someone from perfectly camping every node as it respawns. Just curious of how it really works.

No idea how it was on vanilla, but I can explain to you some of the principles freeservers use.

On the older ones, the timer is set, you mine a thing, return 45 minutes later, it's there again.

The newer ones add the nodes to groups for each object type, so the web db can show you 250 mithril deposits in a zone, but that's only the spawnpoints, the actual number of nodes is lower. Note, these usually also have much lower respawn timer, due to them spawning randomly.
Grouping is a better way to spawn them than static spawns, but it doesn't really prevent farming. Sometimes the groups happen to be smaller, especially when you have a deposit of specific type.

Then there's pooling, which I don't really have experience with, that basically takes grouping and includes all types of ores that can happen in the zone, so better mine everything. Now I'm not sure it was on retail like this - I remember reading some comments, but it was mainly about Khorium, which is a special case (can spawn at any adamantium ore spawn), like all the various lotus herbs.

I think if I remember correctly, gold and mithril have a shared group as well, so that might be a similar case as black lotus (except a little more common).  All the private servers I've played on seem to use that second method you mentioned, but I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and the third method.

From reading old vanilla forum posts, the only thing I've gathered is that the players back then were just clueless as hell. I will say, people from the old forum posts also seemed to believe that ore spawning changed at some point and was either buffed or patched in some way.  That makes me think that maybe initially blizzard was using static timers and then implemented a more complex system.

The question is: how CF devs are going to solve it

1 hour ago, duzyizly said:

The question is: how CF devs are going to solve it

I'm pretty sure @Darkrasp has already discussed they are going to use a different type of spawning entirely, but maybe he can correct me.

Posted (edited)

On vanilla it was, that the rare ores shared their spawn location with the common ones (silver with copper and tin, gold with iron aso., though not only in exact these relations). That i know from the last "server project" i was involved at. Luckily we had a staff member who worked as Gamemaster for Blizzard during vanilla times. He gave some input concerning that matter and i remember this feature.

I cannot validate this information with something else than my words. It's also only second-hand information. But i trust that fellow and his knowledge about the mechanics back in the days.

Greetings

Edited by Polyphem

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, Polyphem said:

double post :/.

You should be able to hide posts, at least you did before. Hang on and I'll post this one...

Yeah, at the bottom are the options quote/edit/options - under options is ''hide'' I don't think you have to give a reason

Edited by Outstanding

On this particular topic, I'm pretty sure fish pools work the same way as other nodes. For most pools (say STV) the floating wreckage was randomised along with stonescale eel swarms and oily blackmouths. Trouble was if you fished out only the wreckage and the eels, eventually you would only have oily's to fish from, because the type of pool wasn't static. So the correct attitude was to fish everything out. Now that didn't apply to sagefish or patches of elemental water, because that's all you got. What I do know is that the zone pools are all linked together. Average respawns were about an hour.

1 hour ago, Outstanding said:

You should be able to hide posts, at least you did before. Hang on and I'll post this one...

Yeah, at the bottom are the options quote/edit/options - under options is ''hide'' I don't think you have to give a reason

Thanks :), i searched for this function in the "edit" section, sometimes one overlooks the most obvious things^^.