Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kys

leveling in a group of four people?

So i recently heard about this project and im curious if anyone here has experience with lvling as a group of 4 people. 
Im not sure which faction we`ll be playing but if we go alliance we might play humans and if we go horde we'll probably be undeads. The composition that we`re planning on doing is    Lock / Mage / Priest / Warrior on Horde and for Alliance it might be the same or  we'd swap the warrior for a paladin and the mage for a rogue. The real question is how should we level up? Is it worth to grind as 4 people? Is it worth doing collection quests? 
Our goal is to play each day for a approximate 4-5 hours max and reach the level cap in like 1 and a 1/2 weeks. 

If you know any guides concerning the topic please share them.

For the Alliance composition, if you want a tank, you shouldn't swap the warrior for a paladin. No matter what Killerduki says, prot paladins aren't really that viable in vanilla. ;)

I can't really give you tips for leveling as a group as I always leveled solo, but I'm pretty sure that you won't reach 60 in 1 1/2 weeks playing 4-5 hours a day.

Posted (edited)

I know that paladins arent good as tanks later into the game but for leveling wouldnt they be fine? Like he`d switch holy later on and the warlocks Voidwalker could tank  a decent amount too.  Just my idea in theory, as for the leveling tho i remember playing on nostalrius and i got to lvl 35 in like 4-5 days by playing 4-5 hours a day, thats why assumed we might get to 60 in 1 and a half weeks or 2. 

Edited by kys

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, kys said:

Our goal is to play each day for a approximate 4-5 hours max and reach the level cap in like 1 and a 1/2 weeks.

World record of speedrunning lvl 60 (v1.11) is 116 hours but you wanna beat it in "1 and a 1/2 weeks 4-5h per day" which is 40-50 hours.

Good luck

Edited by duzyizly

Well, open world leveling should work fine with a Pala + Voidwalker as tank, but dungeons will be a challenge. Especially the later ones, things like Dead Mines and The Stockade should be doable. It's just that the lack of any kind of taunt and subpar threat generation makes tanking groups of elites very, very hard for paladins. If your damage dealers get aggro'd, they are pretty much dead if they don't have skills like Vanish, Feign Death or Iceblock at the ready.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

World record of speedrunning lvl 60 (v1.11) is 116 hours but you wanna beat it in "1 and a 1/2 weeks 4-5h per day" which is 40-50 hours.

Good luck

You're still not answering my question, i dont have a problem of playing even more, the thing is that i want to know in which way should we level up as a group.

Edited by kys

If you're going alliance and decide to have a paladin as a tank, it's quite doable, especially if you have a mage in group. AoE pulling is a really effective way of leveling, so either tank would be fine, but when I've been tanking as a paladin from 20-50 ish it has been done without a problem. It's just that paladins aren't viable as raid tanks (occasional trash pulls and adds on bosses are usually fine).

But back OT: I have no experience with leveling in a larger group, but I don't see why not. You'll run through quests pretty fast (except loot Q I´d imagine), so I´d also focus on doing quite a lot of dungeons, at least do every dung once so you complete all the Q's. I'd also try to find good farming spots, as you'll most likely run out of Q's pretty fast, seeing as mob exp in Vanilla is quite substantial.

I don't know about group leveling apart from 2 players but don't swap the mage for any other class. They are awesome killing in AoE, free food and drink for all the party, polymorph,... etc.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, kys said:

You're still not answering my question, i dont have a problem of playing even more, the thing is that i want to know in which way should we level up as a group.

Doing quests is always better option then grinding.
For sure you will be lacking XP just by doing quests but you can always grind those 10-20% of bar (the missing XP of solo farm).

Go to the every low level dungeon (also get all of possible dungeon quests). There's no problem of completing all of them since you got a "team".

Make sure your 4-man team have a tank, healer and 2 dps (because It's always easiest to find 3rd dps). I would say: warrior, priest, rogue, mage is a best 4-man composition for leveling (it's also awesome for dungeons [since you have: best tank class, best heal class, strong melee dps and mage with polly].
Also this team composition will never have "need/greed loot" problem [the lock/priest/mage you suggest is kinda overwhelmed with "cloth" characters].

Also, with a "team" you are able to do all elite quests outside dungeons (and if you are familiar with leveling guides you know there are always things like "skip elite quests, it's to hard to do solo").

You can also try different talent builds (different of basic leveling. Example: backstab rogue [since he always has a tank]).

Edited by duzyizly

In addition as 4 people you should be able to kill any and all mobs you come across in a matter of seconds. So "grinding" yourself through quest areas should not really be an issue. And it is absolutely something you should be doing, since you'll miss out on the "normal" XP [like the amount of XP you'd get if you were question solo]. Generally I don't see an issue with grinding as it's normally mandatory for a fluid level experience (you won't ever be leveled correctly between the areas by just completing the quests. So generally being 1-2 lvls "over level" is a nice thing to have.)
I don't know how to explain this to you, if you haven't played Vanilla before. Basically:
• Quests need certain levels to start. If you have that level and can start multiple quests at once it'll make your level experience much smoother and faster.
• You'll not gain the levels you need to "progress" to a next zone by just finishing the quests. Basically you'll always be 1-2 levels short [e.g. Loch Modan --> Wetlands you'll prbly be missing 2 lvls. possibly 3 if you're leveling as 4. Thus you either go to Redridge Mountains/Westfall or you grind a little to level up like this.. Generally the Westfall-->Redridge-->Duskwood  route is better though. It's got a higher density of mobs and quests. At launch you'll be flooded with players so you'll have to decide how to do it yourself. Like there's a pro and con to everything. You could facespam deadmines for a couple of levels, since you'd have no contest whatsoever there for you, but it'll prbly net you less XP than questing (if the questmobs were there, which at start they might not be). In addition you'd get a shitton of gold though in DM.]
• Many Dungeon Quests are way[yyy....] out of the way - I remember Dungeon Quests for Stockades to be in the Wetlands and I think even Arathi. So it might not be worth getting those since you'd have to walk there forever. Basically everything depends on whatever you want to do. 
• For Launch I'd advise you to stick with one route and rush through that with as much speed as you can possibly muster. If you're ahead of everyone in Duskwood or Stranglethorn, you'll have the best and fastest leveling around. There's just so many mobs to grind there and loads of quests. (Duskwood especially, since it has a lot of kill quests. Drop Quests might be increadibly annoying for you as 4 people..)
• Which brings me to my next point: Drop quests will be absolutely horrific for you. Especially if they are contested. Mobs don't drop items at 100% (it's more like 8-10% in most cases) and they can only ever be picked up by a single group member. You should generally stay away from those then. Unless they're inside a quest chain or what not. [Or you wish to grind these mobs for a while].

Anything else is really just up to you. Basically don't expect to level up fast. You'll prbly take 2-3 weeks unless you plan to play 10hrs + each day.
Grinding might be boring, but it does wonders for XP. Especially if you have a half decent tank and healer as well as good DPS, you should be able to cheese most of it rather quickly.

Another tip: try to all go different gathering professions (skinner, herbalist, mining) since that way you can pick up literally everything you come across instead of having to "fight for it" between your teammates. A clothier should fit your comb nicely as well. You'll be getting loads of cloth for him to skill though and craft armor for you guys.
Which quest zones offer what, you'll just have to check on the multitude of vanilla wiki sites. Basically plan your route, adept if there's an overflow of people there (which there will be) and try getting ahead of the curve. Can't give you better tips than that :P

Anyhow, hope I could help. Cheers!

6 hours ago, Hybris said:

In addition as 4 people you should be able to kill any and all mobs you come across in a matter of seconds. So "grinding" yourself through quest areas should not really be an issue. And it is absolutely something you should be doing, since you'll miss out on the "normal" XP [like the amount of XP you'd get if you were question solo]. Generally I don't see an issue with grinding as it's normally mandatory for a fluid level experience (you won't ever be leveled correctly between the areas by just completing the quests. So generally being 1-2 lvls "over level" is a nice thing to have.)
I don't know how to explain this to you, if you haven't played Vanilla before. Basically:
• Quests need certain levels to start. If you have that level and can start multiple quests at once it'll make your level experience much smoother and faster.
• You'll not gain the levels you need to "progress" to a next zone by just finishing the quests. Basically you'll always be 1-2 levels short [e.g. Loch Modan --> Wetlands you'll prbly be missing 2 lvls. possibly 3 if you're leveling as 4. Thus you either go to Redridge Mountains/Westfall or you grind a little to level up like this.. Generally the Westfall-->Redridge-->Duskwood  route is better though. It's got a higher density of mobs and quests. At launch you'll be flooded with players so you'll have to decide how to do it yourself. Like there's a pro and con to everything. You could facespam deadmines for a couple of levels, since you'd have no contest whatsoever there for you, but it'll prbly net you less XP than questing (if the questmobs were there, which at start they might not be). In addition you'd get a shitton of gold though in DM.]
• Many Dungeon Quests are way[yyy....] out of the way - I remember Dungeon Quests for Stockades to be in the Wetlands and I think even Arathi. So it might not be worth getting those since you'd have to walk there forever. Basically everything depends on whatever you want to do. 
• For Launch I'd advise you to stick with one route and rush through that with as much speed as you can possibly muster. If you're ahead of everyone in Duskwood or Stranglethorn, you'll have the best and fastest leveling around. There's just so many mobs to grind there and loads of quests. (Duskwood especially, since it has a lot of kill quests. Drop Quests might be increadibly annoying for you as 4 people..)
• Which brings me to my next point: Drop quests will be absolutely horrific for you. Especially if they are contested. Mobs don't drop items at 100% (it's more like 8-10% in most cases) and they can only ever be picked up by a single group member. You should generally stay away from those then. Unless they're inside a quest chain or what not. [Or you wish to grind these mobs for a while].

Anything else is really just up to you. Basically don't expect to level up fast. You'll prbly take 2-3 weeks unless you plan to play 10hrs + each day.
Grinding might be boring, but it does wonders for XP. Especially if you have a half decent tank and healer as well as good DPS, you should be able to cheese most of it rather quickly.

Another tip: try to all go different gathering professions (skinner, herbalist, mining) since that way you can pick up literally everything you come across instead of having to "fight for it" between your teammates. A clothier should fit your comb nicely as well. You'll be getting loads of cloth for him to skill though and craft armor for you guys.
Which quest zones offer what, you'll just have to check on the multitude of vanilla wiki sites. Basically plan your route, adept if there's an overflow of people there (which there will be) and try getting ahead of the curve. Can't give you better tips than that :P

Anyhow, hope I could help. Cheers!

Thanks for the informative answer. 

Hybris had a great answer, but I'll throw in a few of my opinions.

Doing dungeons isn't time efficient, but if you have the quests and the group they can be a great way to break-up questing and grinding.

If you plan to start at launch and want to keep ahead of the curve, expect to play alot. I imagine there will be people playing at least 24 hours straight on release. Being ahead of the leveling curve is a pain but it opens up options because there is less competition for mobs and quest items.

IMO Vanilla required some grinding to fill the gaps left by so few quests. Blizz later added quests to zones to reduce the grinding necessary. My point is that as Hybris said, drop quests will be horrible for you but if you need to grind mobs anyway and there is no other competition, then drop quests may be worth doing. 

At Elysium launch the starting zone was overcrowded so I found a group and left it around level 3 to farm murlocs (outside Goldshire) til about level 7. Then we picked up the quests at the West garrison. So grouping up early is very viable, especially since it allows you to fight higher level mobs.

If you're super serious about getting to max level fast then I'd recommend rolling on a server currently open and practicing. Figure out your route, what quests to do, which mobs to kill and get everyone comfortable in their role and playing together.

Posted (edited)

On 3/7/2017 at 7:54 AM, kys said:

If you know any guides concerning the topic please share them.

you are not gonna hit level 60 in only 50 hours unless you powerlevel really hard

Edited by Aquane

Posted (edited)

Back when Nostalrius first launched, mob grinding as a group was good and quite popular.

In terms of number crunching, you gotta take into consideration that you get bonus XP when killing mobs in a group (on top of being split across group members).

The bonus XP multiplier is as follows:
1 person group = 1.0
2 person group = 1.0
3 person group = 1.166
4 person group = 1.3
5 person group = 1.4

Mob grinding as a group is also easier to organise, you don't have to worry about one person getting ahead or behind in quests or anything like that.

From personal experience, questing with friends long term can be a nightmare with just 2 people, and I can only imagine how bad it would be with 4, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

This won't help with the speed aspect necessarily, but one of the most entertaining things my friends and I did back in the day was try to 3 man dungeons as a hunter, warlock, and rogue. The only one I remember being particularly successful was Wailing Caverns, which we cleared fully. I would say with 4 people and actually having a tank and healer, it could help with the speed leveling to run each dungeon once for all the quests once you're in the mid level range for each dungeon. The gear you get from drops/quest rewards usually lasts a lot longer than stuff you find otherwise.

Posted (edited)

Hello!

I didnt read all the comments, but I hope you will read a few more things in my comment.

So me and my guild have organised group leveling for weeks before launch the launch of elysium. We made for humans and dwarves explore leveling because these are the most popular starting zones so our whole guild was leveling on Teldrassil.(we were lv5,5 over 1h 10m) In the end, we couldnt login and nobody waited for each other so it was not worth to do it. :D

If you are hyped enough guys, I'd suggest to level up 2-3 times a character from 1-35 and recognise the gatherer quests, because these quests are not worth to do it with a 4 man group. I'd suggest to spread when you have more than 1 gatherer quests, so try to manage your questlines to never do it all together. Slaining quests are the best for sure, and you MUST worldpvp. :)

The most important is to kill everything what gives you xp if it max orange, you have to compensate the amount xp what you lost on slaining quests.. (Red mobs are not worth to grind.)Loot everything, and your melee guy should be skinner. You will kill thousands of beasts, you can profit from skinning if you just sell the leathers to a vendor.

You also have to do dungeon quests, but first always get every quests before you go anywhere. I'd say deadmines outside gatherer quest and full gnomeregan is not worth to do it if you want to level efficient.

Thats all what came into my mind suddenly, I hope I helped you a little bit.

Edited by beerforce