Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kelila

Anyone Out there Interested in Warcraft Lore?

I found a youtube playlist that if you are interested in Warcraft Lore or the history of everything going on in Azeroth might be of interest to you.  The first video is a 40 minute overview of general lore and then moving down the playlist is chronologically ordered details about different beings and the development of Warcraft History.  There are over 200 videos, so it'll take a while, but I've been working my way through it and it's a pretty fun story overall.  It is definitely putting things into perspective and just getting me exciting for playing out certain parts of the story as the server progresses.  I also know I'll probably never play legion, so this has all of the story information from the expansions I don't want to play.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kelila said:

so this has all of the story information from the expansions I don't want to play.

So why watch it? I don't understand.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ilovecats said:

So why watch it? I don't understand.

For the story without the hours of grinding a game I don't want to play. Why watch a movie? For the entertainment of course!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kelila said:

For the story without the hours of grinding a game I don't want to play. Why watch a movie? For the entertainment of course!

I'm not a fan of World of Retconcraft. I admit that in the end I don't know what's true and not anymore.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uggghhhh, can't stand Nobbel's voice. Hearing it for 200+ videos would be a deathsentence for me. 

And ilovecats is right - any good lore is always retconned or abandoned by Blizzard in favor of their new shitpansions. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, cell007 said:

Uggghhhh, can't stand Nobbel's voice. Hearing it for 200+ videos would be a deathsentence for me. 

And ilovecats is right - any good lore is always retconned or abandoned by Blizzard in favor of their new shitpansions. 

It's kinda sad when a good storyline turns into a cliche. Making Warcraft a child's story with less focus on the hatred, rage but also that sense of heroism and duty towards your people. Taking out these emotions and revamping lore has ruined much of the storyline and bringing out characters from the dead just for fans sake is completely mad but Blizzard did it because of us. (If they can bring out Illidan they can also give us legacy servers but that's none of my business)

But I have to say that Warcraft (If these were Tolkien books) would be The Two Towers and The Elder Scrolls would be Return of the King. At least in my opinion.

Edited by DonnyDonowitz
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize there was so much passion against the direction Blizzard has taken the story of Warcraft.  Probably the same feeling as when Disney killed the extended universe.  I don't know though, learning all the origins of the old gods and how Azeroth came to be really has me excited for going and killing C'thun.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobbel87...excelent lore master of the WoW universe...go watch all his videos...i have done it already :3, you can also watch nixiom and hirumaredx, they also got excelent videos...there is one more, hellscream or something is called the youtuber, cant remember now

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobbel? The guy who got famous by soloing vanilla raids with paladin on Cata? He does lore videos now? Is this the time for me to yell at him to get off my lawn?

I got all my lore incrementally, from reading wowwiki. This was before Blizzard decided that the tabletop RPG isn't canon and before they shat retcons all over the place.

When did that happen? Well, of course, it started with vanilla, but that was sort of inevitable in some aspects (the new timeline that stated Dark Portal opened right at the start of the First War instead of the orcs spending 10 years foraging in Black Morass' muck), as well as game design (Razorfen Kraul moving places, both Kalimdor and Azeroth losing their characteristic shape and becoming more blocky).

Concerning out-of-the-game lore it started on TBC. Goddamn spacegoats. Concerning the lore that was present in wow itself, it started happening as early as wotlk. Remember that grandiose and epic quest chain that had you delve into the depths of Blackrock Mountain and work alongside one of the biggest legends of Stormwind military, the owner of Ironfoe, the one and only Marshal Reginald Windsor? Well, akshually, our anime-haired king did that, after he returned from his improbable adventures with orcish slave fights and being friends with ancient elven gods (seriously, this is so bad I thought Knaak wrote it). You get a mention though, so all is well, right? Right? Guys? Why are our subscriptions dropping?

But the true retcon galore started when they noticed Anduin exists, which was by the time of MoP, and were like "well shit, we wanted to do something with the teenage him, but he's too old now, oh I know, we'll just say that every expansion actually took a year or less in ingame time". And so it was that in mere four years, Azeroth witnessed a war with enemy so terrible that previously, even the dragonflights were merely able to contain it, an expedition to the remains of Draenor, two Scourge invasions, as well as the return of the Lich King, a flying lava lamp, and a continent suddenly appearing, all apparently threats so trite they were dealt with almost as fast as they came by our totally overpowered armies.

As for the new and improved(TM) lore(R) experience(TM), with Sargeras technically now becoming lawful neutral instead of chaotic evil, and the titans being dead, but there being titan eggs, which are planets, and there being far stronger ultimate universal evil than just the Burning Legion, that being Void Lolds, who apparently once had a one-night stand with our universe and splooged Old Gods all over the inside of it in hope of impregnating the titan eggs and Illidan of all people somehow saving it all by becoming the... whatever it was that Kerrigan became at the end of Starcraft II (another shittily retconned game)...

Seriously, did someone hire Knaak again? I always maintained that despite not practicing writing, I'd be able to write a book with more internal consistency than him. Is that why Metzen left? Did they notice he was becoming a Knaak?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Nobbel? The guy who got famous by soloing vanilla raids with paladin on Cata? He does lore videos now? Is this the time for me to yell at him to get off my lawn?

I got all my lore incrementally, from reading wowwiki. This was before Blizzard decided that the tabletop RPG isn't canon and before they shat retcons all over the place.

When did that happen? Well, of course, it started with vanilla, but that was sort of inevitable in some aspects (the new timeline that stated Dark Portal opened right at the start of the First War instead of the orcs spending 10 years foraging in Black Morass' muck), as well as game design (Razorfen Kraul moving places, both Kalimdor and Azeroth losing their characteristic shape and becoming more blocky).

Concerning out-of-the-game lore it started on TBC. Goddamn spacegoats. Concerning the lore that was present in wow itself, it started happening as early as wotlk. Remember that grandiose and epic quest chain that had you delve into the depths of Blackrock Mountain and work alongside one of the biggest legends of Stormwind military, the owner of Ironfoe, the one and only Marshal Reginald Windsor? Well, akshually, our anime-haired king did that, after he returned from his improbable adventures with orcish slave fights and being friends with ancient elven gods (seriously, this is so bad I thought Knaak wrote it). You get a mention though, so all is well, right? Right? Guys? Why are our subscriptions dropping?

But the true retcon galore started when they noticed Anduin exists, which was by the time of MoP, and were like "well shit, we wanted to do something with the teenage him, but he's too old now, oh I know, we'll just say that every expansion actually took a year or less in ingame time". And so it was that in mere four years, Azeroth witnessed a war with enemy so terrible that previously, even the dragonflights were merely able to contain it, an expedition to the remains of Draenor, two Scourge invasions, as well as the return of the Lich King, a flying lava lamp, and a continent suddenly appearing, all apparently threats so trite they were dealt with almost as fast as they came by our totally overpowered armies.

As for the new and improved(TM) lore(R) experience(TM), with Sargeras technically now becoming lawful neutral instead of chaotic evil, and the titans being dead, but there being titan eggs, which are planets, and there being far stronger ultimate universal evil than just the Burning Legion, that being Void Lolds, who apparently once had a one-night stand with our universe and splooged Old Gods all over the inside of it in hope of impregnating the titan eggs and Illidan of all people somehow saving it all by becoming the... whatever it was that Kerrigan became at the end of Starcraft II (another shittily retconned game)...

Seriously, did someone hire Knaak again? I always maintained that despite not practicing writing, I'd be able to write a book with more internal consistency than him. Is that why Metzen left? Did they notice he was becoming a Knaak?

Make Warcraft Great Again! *Said in a Hillbilly accent* 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Seriously, did someone hire Knaak again?

0NFhy50.jpg 
holy shit, sick burn

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i love lore and i think nobbels channel is amazing. when i first started working my security night job at a bullshit train station i spent about 5 straight thursday nights watching his videos. 

i havent watched him lately because its mostly new lore, i was watching all of his videos about pre-established stuff and not the retconned lore. his videos on the old gods, war of the ancients, the troll empires, sylvanas, the lich king/scourge, illidan, and gul'dan are all great and really tell a lot. 

i dont think one can properly appreciate the game without the lore. 

for the movie franchise, i know the story was retconned a bit but generally wasnt too bad, and i liked it and hope there are plenty more, specifically i want a prequel for the war of the ancients movie, that would be sick. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting the video Kelila! I've always wanted to get into the lore but without all the reading. 

 

Watching the video just makes me want to login and play!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0